Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

I got trolled by NCSoft

kishekishe aitooPosts: 1,978Member Uncommon

Soo I bought Guild wars: eye of the north to grind for the guild wars 2 fluff but when i tried to access my account I got message "Account permanently blocked"

Apparently some Chinese gold farmers had tried to gain access to my account and the automatic system had blocked it.

Well! No worries! I thought as I was sure NCSoft would sort it out for me...BUT, their answer in a nutshell:

 

Before we can unblock your account, you must prove that you are who you claim to be by providing us with your name, address, phone number, ncsoft account, game accounts for every game registered under your ncsoft account, cdkeys for all games registered under your account and 4 digits of the credit card you used when you created this account ten years ago!

 

Hrmm...To dig up all that information (and rummaging through my closets to find my original lineage1 box, lineage2 box, aion box, city of heroes box...) or just say screw it, throw in another 20$ for guild wars trilogy and make new ncsoft account...

 

 

 

«1

Comments

  • grimm6thgrimm6th Overland Park, KSPosts: 973Member

    should be in the GW1 forum tbh...but yeah, that sucks.

    I used to TL;DR, but then I took a bullet point to the footnote.

  • JabasJabas Caldas da RainhaPosts: 1,207Member Common

    That situation allready hapened to me in the pass and i didnt had all information they ask.

    i send email with information i had or remember and say i didnt had the rest, not even credit card number use it. Didnt even had a single serial number of the games i had from NCSoft.

     

    They give me back my account.

     

    Did u really try to recover your account? Just respond to info they ask if you know and the rest tell "dont remember" or "lost that info"

  • RCP_utRCP_ut ...Posts: 263Member

    If you prove its your account they will unlock it. Not that you need to send that all that info, probably just one game key and a few more info will prove its yours.

    But prove it really is your account is a must.

  • ExcessionExcession NottinghamPosts: 367Member Uncommon

    Right, so because a company makes sure security measures that are in place are adhered to, basically making sure nobody can pretend to be you and steal your account, they are trolling you?

    Oooook.

    I would much rather have to jump through hoops to prove I am me to a games company, than have them give my account details to someone else just because they sent them a mail claiming it is their account.

    A creative person is motivated by the desire to achieve, not the desire to beat others.

  • ABRaquelABRaquel Minneapolis, MNPosts: 541Member Uncommon

    You should really re read what they are asking, they specifically say that the more info you give them the faster they'll process your account recovery, nowhere does it say that you are REQUIRED to send them ALL that info.

    I had my account blocked late last year and their request was to send as much information regarding my account as possible, so the only info I sent was my Guild Wars CDKEY (Prophecies, Factions, Nightfall and EotN) and they unlocked my account in less than 24 hours.

    image

  • OldManFunkOldManFunk BFE, KSPosts: 894Member

    You should be able to get it back if you still have the game code from your original GW purchase, can prove that you are the original owner, and the "chinese farmer" doesn't have an IP that terminates in your neighborhood... as that might complicate matters.

     

    If it were me I wouldn't buy the original GW again. I own a copy of GW but can't really get into it any more. GW2 is so much better in every way.

  • Shroom_MageShroom_Mage Lafayette, LAPosts: 863Member


    Originally posted by kishe
    Before we can unblock your account, you must prove that you are who you claim to be by providing us with your name, address, phone number, ncsoft account, game accounts for every game registered under your ncsoft account, cdkeys for all games registered under your account and 4 digits of the credit card you used when you created this account ten years ago!

    Just get as much of it as you can. I tried logging in a few years ago and didn't remember the name of the one character on my account, so I sent them an email with as much as I could. I couldn't even find the CD-key. You only need enough information that it's obvious you are who you say you are.

    Also, if you get back into your account, don't delete the characters! If farmers were on your account, there's a good chance they have lodsamoni saved up. You can use the money and everything else (birthday presents!) to get to 30/50 pretty fast.

    "Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." -Dr. Seuss

  • UnlightUnlight Ottawa, ONPosts: 2,540Member

    I went through something similar when recovering an old account.  I supplied them with less than half of what they requested and they were able to help me out.  When they list all of those pieces of information, they aren't expecting you to supply everything, but just enough that they have some reasonable assurance that you are who you say you are. 

    Sounds fair to me.  I wouldn't want the process to be so easy that someone could take control of my account based on just a couple of pieces of information that they were able to locate.

  • ClassicstarClassicstar rotjeknorPosts: 2,690Member

    Why you have placed this in GW2 forum so more people not gonne play GW2?

    MB:MSI Z97XPOWER AC
    CPU:Intell Icore7 4790k
    GPU:MSI 2x AMD 290X
    MEMORY:Corsair PLAT.DDR3 1866MHZ 16GB
    PSU:Corsair AX1200i
    OS:Windows 8.1 64bit)not yet sure i upgrade to windows 10 need to know alot more with integrated cloud and other maybe spy stuff)

  • ValkaernValkaern OxfordPosts: 512Member

    My wife and I both had this as we recently decided to re-try GW1 in preperation for GW2 (didn't work, just not a fan of GW1). Our accounts hadn't even been touched though, so I think it's a blanket statement they use.

    We sent them the info we *did* have (I had a CD-Key and a guess at a characters name, she had a CD-Key) and that was enough for them, we left the rest blank as it's absurd to think that after all those years we'd still have all of that info.

    They were happy enough with what we did send to sort it out.

  • DrafellDrafell Virginia Beach, VAPosts: 588Member

    My wife had to go through account recovery as well. She came out of it with the equivalent of 8-12 million in trade goods.

  • ariboersmaariboersma Yankton, SDPosts: 1,802Member

    Originally posted by Jabas

    That situation allready hapened to me in the pass and i didnt had all information they ask.

    i send email with information i had or remember and say i didnt had the rest, not even credit card number use it. Didnt even had a single serial number of the games i had from NCSoft.

     

    They give me back my account.

     

    Did u really try to recover your account? Just respond to info they ask if you know and the rest tell "dont remember" or "lost that info"

    same thing happened to me as Jabas with my Aion account which I hadn't played in 3 yrs but had been banned for well I couldnt even find out why but they gave me back the account with as much info as I could give from the email I got after ordering the game online.. which isnt even close to all the info they ask for.

    It didn't used to be great for customer service at NCsoft but I would say they are pretty good now.

    image

  • korat102korat102 Milton KeynesPosts: 313Member

    I had to go through this not so long ago and had no problems at all. I even got the character name competely wrong. The rest what I actually remembered was sufficient. Just give them as much as you have. You can't expect them to hand over an account to anyone who turns up knocking at their door...you have to play your part as well.

  • lilHealalilHeala ZwollePosts: 512Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Byrhofen

    Right, so because a company makes sure security measures that are in place are adhered to, basically making sure nobody can pretend to be you and steal your account, they are trolling you?

    Oooook.

    I would much rather have to jump through hoops to prove I am me to a games company, than have them give my account details to someone else just because they sent them a mail claiming it is their account.

    This.

    You should be glad they're taking account safety seriously. And I'm sure you don't have to provide ALL that information but enough to actually prove it's you and not the competition of the goldseller company that hacked it in the first place.

  • gaeanprayergaeanprayer Somewhere Out There, PAPosts: 2,320Member Uncommon

    This happened to me in the past, but I didn't need all that info. They requested it, but I'd had a new credit card by then and didn't remember my CD key. I have them my physical info and home number and I got my account back. It took like 3 days, though, but not bad. I would have recommended you just send them the info you were able to find first but, I guess in the end making a new account works, too.

    "Forums aren't for intelligent discussion; they're for blow-hards with unwavering opinions."

  • travamarstravamars Dallas, TXPosts: 417Member Common
    Originally posted by kishe

    Soo I bought Guild wars: eye of the north to grind for the guild wars 2 fluff but when i tried to access my account I got message "Account permanently blocked"

    Apparently some Chinese gold farmers had tried to gain access to my account and the automatic system had blocked it.

    Well! No worries! I thought as I was sure NCSoft would sort it out for me...BUT, their answer in a nutshell:

     

    Before we can unblock your account, you must prove that you are who you claim to be by providing us with your name, address, phone number, ncsoft account, game accounts for every game registered under your ncsoft account, cdkeys for all games registered under your account and 4 digits of the credit card you used when you created this account ten years ago!

     

    Hrmm...To dig up all that information (and rummaging through my closets to find my original lineage1 box, lineage2 box, aion box, city of heroes box...) or just say screw it, throw in another 20$ for guild wars trilogy and make new ncsoft account...

     

     

     

    Same thing happened to me. They asked for my charactor in game name also. The game wasn't worth it but i did it, somehow. But a game that old cant expect a lot of people to have that kind of info laying around for years.

  • ZylaxxZylaxx Erlanger, KYPosts: 2,574Member
    Originally posted by Jabas

    That situation allready hapened to me in the pass and i didnt had all information they ask.

    i send email with information i had or remember and say i didnt had the rest, not even credit card number use it. Didnt even had a single serial number of the games i had from NCSoft.

     

    They give me back my account.

     

    Did u really try to recover your account? Just respond to info they ask if you know and the rest tell "dont remember" or "lost that info"

    Same here, I sent them an email with pretty much my address, name and phone number and told them I didnt remember the other stuff and they reinstated my acct.  Too bad I didnt last an hour back in the game, as I really disliked GW1 that much.  Highest leve lI ever got to was 6.  As much as I love GW2 I just couldnt stomach GW1 so Im destined to go without any HOM love.

    Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

    Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

    image

  • travamarstravamars Dallas, TXPosts: 417Member Common
    Originally posted by lilHeala
    Originally posted by Byrhofen

    Right, so because a company makes sure security measures that are in place are adhered to, basically making sure nobody can pretend to be you and steal your account, they are trolling you?

    Oooook.

    I would much rather have to jump through hoops to prove I am me to a games company, than have them give my account details to someone else just because they sent them a mail claiming it is their account.

    This.

    You should be glad they're taking account safety seriously. And I'm sure you don't have to provide ALL that information but enough to actually prove it's you and not the competition of the goldseller company that hacked it in the first place.

    Must not be such a great security measure if he got hacked in the first place. Did the hacker give out all of that info or was he the only one that had to do it.

  • lilHealalilHeala ZwollePosts: 512Member Uncommon


    Originally posted by travamars Must not be such a great security measure if he got hacked in the first place. Did the hacker give out all of that info or was he the only one that had to do it.  
    An account being hacked more often is caused by bad security on the user end than on the game company end, a user could be stupid himself and re-use passwords or at least game account / forum account name which is half the credentials (if no authenticator is used), or even a keylogger.
  • EvilGeekEvilGeek londonPosts: 1,224Member Uncommon


    Originally posted by lilHeala
    Originally posted by travamars Must not be such a great security measure if he got hacked in the first place. Did the hacker give out all of that info or was he the only one that had to do it.  
    An account being hacked more often is caused by bad security on the user end than on the game company end, a user could be stupid himself and re-use passwords or at least game account / forum account name which is half the credentials (if no authenticator is used), or even a keylogger.


    I had my NCSoft master account hacked, there was a known flaw when someone could log in with their details and end up in someone else's account (fixed now), a lot of people got 'hacked' at that time. I provided them with the cd keys I could find and had it all resolved within 24hrs.

    image
  • TbkrulezTbkrulez BudapestPosts: 42Member

    NCsoft's support is not the greatest of all time i have to admit. I stopped playing Aion after 3 months but It recently went f2p and  veteran users was provided with some goods, so I got kinda excited and downloaded it. But I couldn't log in with my original account infos so I had to contact with the support to claim my account back. It took like 1 week for them to recover it and when I finally got my account back I realised that It's banned cuz some chinese gold farmers stole it and got caught, even tho I NEVER gave my account infos to anyone. But I don't really care since I never had problems with any GW games and I hope I won't with GW2.

  • ariboersmaariboersma Yankton, SDPosts: 1,802Member
    Originally posted by Tbkrulez

    NCsoft's support is not the greatest of all time i have to admit. I stopped playing Aion after 3 months but It recently went f2p and  veteran users was provided with some goods, so I got kinda excited and downloaded it. But I couldn't log in with my original account infos so I had to contact with the support to claim my account back. It took like 1 week for them to recover it and when I finally got my account back I realised that It's banned cuz some chinese gold farmers stole it and got caught, even tho I NEVER gave my account infos to anyone. But I don't really care since I never had problems with any GW games and I hope I won't with GW2.

    no idea what happened but this was my exact case.. played Aion for a cpl months and decided to look at it again when it went F2P. Took me less than a day to access the account even though it wasn't my current NCsoft account.. thought I lost the info and made a new one for GW1. Then it took only a cpl days to get the Aion ban removed and they even gave me 2 weeks free(this was right before it actually went F2P). Perhaps I had a little more info to go on or they were a lil more busy when you tried.. dunno. What I do know is the customer service was a far cry better than what it was back in 2005 when I lost my L2 account for good from a hacking. 

    image

  • SorrowSorrow St Pete, FLPosts: 1,195Member

    I send them a copy of my driver's liscense and they unlocked it without anything else.

    image

  • IPolygonIPolygon ViennaPosts: 707Member Uncommon

    Well, send them all the relevant information you got and it should be fine.

  • Eir_SEir_S Argyle, NYPosts: 4,623Member

    It's a pretty standard security measure, they didn't troll anyone lol

«1
Sign In or Register to comment.