Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Misconceptions about 12 hour gameplay

LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965

The rage machine is on in mmorpg.com

And quite frankly its laughable image

Its combination of fans angry because of server failure + people that know nothing about genre but like to jump on the bandwagon + people that (maybe) bought the game (or wish too) but have no previous experience with H&S genre.

Dont compare D3 with story based rpgs like Baldurs Gate , Mass Effect , or Skyrim - this is different game.

Diablo is (creator) of Hack&Slash genre based on randomly generated content. Like in its predecesor "roguelike" , each time you start the game its completely different because everything is randomly generated.

You have main story quest and its only 12 hours long (Same lenght as Skyrim story) if you run trough it and not do anything else. But when you finish it you have basically done 1/4 of the game ( and are around 1/4 on level progression )

Difficulties ramp up and will take longer to complete - finishing with inferno difficulty that is almost impossible to beat.

So, no You didnt finish Diablo 3 if you only finished Normal mode

And each new mode has completely new items, monster types and quests. Not to mention what I allready said. The game is never same game.

However. If you still claim that this is recycling. And that main story means you finished the game. And that random generated content means nothing.

Than my friend you are clearly not interested in Hack&Slash games at all. And you are obviously in wrong forum.

As for Torchlight 2 and POE , being better

I play them both (in beta) and they are both awesome games.

Torchlight costs only 20$ and indy scene would appreciate your money.

However Diablo 3 is vastly superior to both game. I mean it basically wipes floor with their bloody corpses.

Its that good.

As for Blizzard being dicks , and all oflline / online DRM and stuff.

They are.

Basically - the only reason is - they didnt want the game pirated.

But at least we will not see hacks in multiplayer image

Comments

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916

QFT!

If there was offline single player I can see the flames when people realise they can't play their single player char on battlenet so they can't trade with other people and PvP.

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• IstavaanIstavaan Member Posts: 1,350

i'm glad i didn't waste 60 euro on a game that lasts 12 hours and calls replaying the game on higher level difficulty a source of content..what a scam.

• baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311

Originally posted by Istavaan
    i'm glad i didn't waste 60 euro on a game that lasts 12 hours and calls replaying the game on higher level difficulty a source of content..what a scam.

have you ever played a diablo game before?

• BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565
    For what it's worth: I'm taking my time, I've played about 6 hours total on my Monk, and I'm not even done with Act I.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• blackthornnblackthornn Member UncommonPosts: 615

no, most of the raging is from ppl who actually......you know, PLAYED D1 and D2.  D3 is a shallow crapfest in the Diablo franchise  (they sould have just released it as a new title, but it wouldn't have sold any more copies than Torchlight if they did right?).  Anyone expecting it to be anywhere near what D1&2 was (if they even played them for more than 2 hrs) is probably still enjoying the Blizzard koolaid in Cataclysm and is loving the Pandera beta too.

A Bliz mod actually stated on one of their forums that they're dumbing down their games because of the younger generation of gamers and their dislike of playing harder games.  Players who enjoy challenging games are the old generation and should stop playing games and let their kids play now. (paraphrasing cuz I don't have the exact link at hand atm)

Flame if you want, I really don't care because this site is a fucking joke nowadays anyway with the bought reviews,  paid for writers and the general "omgz you dunt like MY game you're a carebear emofag go back to your moms basement" mentality anyway.

To each their own and all but really.............

Grouping in Old school mmo's: meeting someone at the bar and chatting, getting to know them before jumping into bed.  Current mmo's grouping: tinder.  swipe, hookup, hope you don't get herpes, never see them again.
  • BassmanJBassmanJ Member Posts: 25
    Sorry diablo didnt create the hack and slash genre. That is all.
  • BanaghranBanaghran Member Posts: 869

Originally posted by baphamet

Judging by some of the replyes in the other threads, some people simply played another diablo 2, completely different from the battle.net diablo 2 (which for example I havent played), the diablo 2 which took hundreds of hours for normal and you would never ever reach hell...

Flame on!

:)

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by BillMurphy
    For what it's worth: I'm taking my time, I've played about 6 hours total on my Monk, and I'm not even done with Act I.

A friend took the day off and played the game for 7 hours or so and finished Act I. He could have been finished with Act II but he explored the maps, opened all the chests, etc. So...yeah you could probably get to the end in 12 hours, but what's the point in that?

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• kirak2009kirak2009 Member UncommonPosts: 543

5 1/2 hours in no where near done act 1 yet

"All expectation leads to suffering" Buhhda

• Creslin321Creslin321 Member Posts: 5,359

A short campaign really doesn't bother me at all in D3 or any game like it.  The game is not about the campaign.  The game is about killing stuff, getting loot, and leveling up.  That is fundamental to understand.

Honestly, I pretty much just skim the story, I don't care about it.  I'm more interested in the three things I stated above.

Are you team Azeroth, team Tyria, or team Jacob?

• IstavaanIstavaan Member Posts: 1,350

yes i have played diablo 1 and 2 both have well over 50 hours of game play

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534

then how did you come up with such a statement?

this game starts on normal. this game is surely not about the "story content" (even tho it's more than just good imo), it is about the replay value. and that starts at nightmare and hell and inferno, which you sould know if you played a diablo before.

whoever claims this game can be completed in 12 hours (or even 5), clearly has no idea what he is playing here.

you did not complete wow either when you got your first lvl 60 (or nowaydays 80) char.

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• ShizaxxxShizaxxx Member Posts: 86

Are you kidding me? If Diablo 2 has 50 hours of gameplay on normal mode (since you don't call replaying the game on higher level a source of content), then I'm santa! 

Diablo 2 has LESS content in the 4 acts, than Diablo 3. It can't be discussed - the game is simply longer. 

How do I know? I finished normal mode with no exploring, and it took me an entire day! 

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965

Originally posted by BassmanJ

Sorry diablo didnt create the hack and slash genre. That is all.

Wait ... what ?!

• KremlikKremlik Member UncommonPosts: 716

Originally posted by blackthornn

no, most of the raging is from ppl who actually......you know, PLAYED D1 and D2.  D3 is a shallow crapfest in the Diablo franchise  (they sould have just released it as a new title, but it wouldn't have sold any more copies than Torchlight if they did right?).  Anyone expecting it to be anywhere near what D1&2 was (if they even played them for more than 2 hrs) is probably still enjoying the Blizzard koolaid in Cataclysm and is loving the Pandera beta too.

A Bliz mod actually stated on one of their forums that they're dumbing down their games because of the younger generation of gamers and their dislike of playing harder games.  Players who enjoy challenging games are the old generation and should stop playing games and let their kids play now. (paraphrasing cuz I don't have the exact link at hand atm)

Flame if you want, I really don't care because this site is a fucking joke nowadays anyway with the bought reviews,  paid for writers and the general "omgz you dunt like MY game you're a carebear emofag go back to your moms basement" mentality anyway.

To each their own and all but really.............

I am a fan of the series, I see your point, but I'm warming up to D3...

Levels 1-10 (aka the 'beta' part) ARE very easy myself and my friend hammered thru in hours however after 10 and the skeleton king it does start to ramp up and I'm starting to get the 'old school' feel back when I was playing Diablo 2, however my friend (playing Barb) feels that it is still too easy, but that may be class based as Demon Hunter and Witch Doctor play a lot less Tanky.

Diablo 3 isn't 'as good' as Diablo 2 was yes with some features (easy TP is easy) but I will throw my hands up and say I was wrong and it's not as bad as I thought

Bring on the WARRRRGGHH!

• DylathDylath Member Posts: 2

"Difficulties ramp up and will take longer to complete - finishing with inferno difficulty that is almost impossible to beat.

And each new mode has completely new items, monster types and quests. Not to mention what I allready said. The game is never same game.

However. If you still claim that this is recycling. And that main story means you finished the game. And that random generated content means nothing.

Than my friend you are clearly not interested in Hack&Slash games at all. And you are obviously in wrong forum."

Have to disagree there, playing through the game/story/whatever to the end does mean you have finished the game....once.  Randonly generated content was created to extend replayability of a game.  A replay of a game is still the same game regardless of how different random loot drops, random map layout, etc.  Everyone who starts their first game is playing a different version of the game, following your logic it is impossible to finish the game - which is undoubtedly what you would have people believe. Essentially you are still playing the same game with the same objectives.  So lets be honest, the game may have good replay value but a replay does not constitue a totally different game.   But of course you will no doubt tell me the sun is the moon and over 20 years of gaming means nothing.  Being interested in H&S games does not mean I must be content with constantly recyled content that is not just used to extend replayability but to give the illusion that a small game is bigger on the inside than it actually is.

Originally posted by Banaghran

Judging by some of the replyes in the other threads, some people simply played another diablo 2, completely different from the battle.net diablo 2 (which for example I havent played), the diablo 2 which took hundreds of hours for normal and you would never ever reach hell...

Flame on!

What the hell ...

People can blast trough D2 (normal mode) in 3 hours, how is this different ?

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534

so, who of you still has an active d2 char?`

still running your meph runs on hell?

got that lvl 99 char and are eagerly waiting for the next ladder reset?

if not, why is that if d2 is sooooooo good. seriously.....

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• kujiikujii Member UncommonPosts: 190
    With the resources and funds that Blizzard should have available, we should all be talking about how this is one of the best games ever made. The fact is that they spent years coming up with something that is rookie level which is their modes operandi nowadays.

Originally posted by Dylath

"Difficulties ramp up and will take longer to complete - finishing with inferno difficulty that is almost impossible to beat.

Than my friend you are clearly not interested in Hack&Slash games at all. And you are obviously in wrong forum."

Have to disagree there, playing through the game/story/whatever to the end does mean you have finished the game....once.  Randonly generated content was created to extend replayability of a game.  A replay of a game is still the same game regardless of how different random loot drops, random map layout, etc.  Everyone who starts their first game is playing a different version of the game, following your logic it is impossible to finish the game - which is undoubtedly what you would have people believe. Essentially you are still playing the same game with the same objectives.  So lets be honest, the game may have good replay value but a replay does not constitue a totally different game.   But of course you will no doubt tell me the sun is the moon and over 20 years of gaming means nothing and to be interested in H&S games I must be content with constantly recyled content that is not just used to extend replayability but to give the illusion that a small game is bigger on the inside than it actually is.

This exactly

is what I am talking about

You dont get it.

Its about random content. Story is there as extra...call it a cute bonus for your first gameplay.

If you had any experience with hack and slash , you would know it.

You could beat original Diablo in 8 hours. And what barebone story there was. Always going trough same dungeon.

But people still play it today. Beating same "story" for 1000th time.

That is essence of hack and slash

• Methos12Methos12 Member UncommonPosts: 1,244

I imagine this is mostly coming from people who don't know what H&S even is because there was no major release in the genre for this generation AND they probably think it's going to be a full-fledged RPG or something. It's about loot, plain and simple.

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.

Originally posted by kujii

With the resources and funds that Blizzard should have available, we should all be talking about how this is one of the best games ever made. The fact is that they spent years coming up with something that is rookie level which is their modes operandi nowadays.

But thats exactly it.

People bitch about 12 hours.

When its all about gameplay , not quest time

• DanitaKusorDanitaKusor Member UncommonPosts: 556

I'm surprised the game will only take 12 hours to get through on normal difficulty.  I've played for roughly 9 hrs so far and I'm just at the start of Act 2.  I've just been playing the campaign as normal, not redone any zones at all. 12 hours must be really rushing though skipping everything.

The Enlightened take things Lightly

• BanaghranBanaghran Member Posts: 869

Originally posted by Lobotomist

Originally posted by Banaghran

Flame on!

What the hell ...

People can blast trough D2 (normal mode) in 3 hours, how is this different ?

Exactly my point :)

Flame on!

• DylathDylath Member Posts: 2

Originally posted by Lobotomist

Originally posted by Dylath

Have to disagree there, playing through the game/story/whatever to the end does mean you have finished the game....once.  Randonly generated content was created to extend replayability of a game.  A replay of a game is still the same game regardless of how different random loot drops, random map layout, etc.  Everyone who starts their first game is playing a different version of the game, following your logic it is impossible to finish the game - which is undoubtedly what you would have people believe. Essentially you are still playing the same game with the same objectives.  So lets be honest, the game may have good replay value but a replay does not constitue a totally different game.   But of course you will no doubt tell me the sun is the moon and over 20 years of gaming means nothing and to be interested in H&S games I must be content with constantly recyled content that is not just used to extend replayability but to give the illusion that a small game is bigger on the inside than it actually is.

This exactly

is what I am talking about

You dont get it.

Its about random content. Story is there as extra...call it a cute bonus for your first gameplay.

If you had any experience with hack and slash , you would know it.

You could beat original Diablo in 8 hours. And what barebone story there was. Always going trough same dungeon.

But people still play it today. Beating same "story" for 1000th time.

That is essence of hack and slash

That does not make it a different game.  I have replayed many many games, many times.  That does not mean they have been a different game, it means I found them enjoyable and wanted to play them again, it does not mean that I did or didn't finish them.  You are talking about playing a game to grind for level and loot and that is something totally different.  Not saying its wrong, but it isn't a different game, you are still replaying the same game.