Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Since SWTOR Is So Horrible, Do You Think There's a Chance for SWG's Resurrection?

EcnaliEcnali Member CommonPosts: 49
I'm sorta hoping that SOE and Lucas.Arts could come to some sort of reconciliation and bring back SWG. I was so terribly disappointed with SWTOR. And I really miss the only MMO that had such a wonderful crafting system, housing system, and the way buffs were handled. and I know most of you lot are going to loathe this, but I loved SWG after the NGE and all the other modifications they were doing before they closed the curtain on it.

Comments

• CujoSWAoACujoSWAoA Member UncommonPosts: 1,781

Sorry, but I don't think its ever going to happen, no.

That kind of Star Wars is dead.  The kind where Lightsabers are limited and rare, if existant at all.

• OberholzerOberholzer Member Posts: 498

No.

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766

I don't think that it could happen. The only way for that to work, is if someone else bought out the rights to the game from whoever currently owns them. That would take quite a bit of money, plus they would have to re advertise the game, which would be hard to do especially with the way it looks, not saying I care about graphics, but I know people usually will only go to a game that resembles something from the past 4 years.

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903

0%

• antlordiantlordi Member Posts: 17

Originally posted by Ecnali

I'm sorta hoping that SOE and Lucas.Arts could come to some sort of reconciliation and bring back SWG. I was so terribly disappointed with SWTOR. And I really miss the only MMO that had such a wonderful crafting system, housing system, and the way buffs were handled. and I know most of you lot are going to loathe this, but I loved SWG after the NGE and all the other modifications they were doing before they closed the curtain on it.

It would be amazing, and would give me something to actually look forward to in the MMO world, but it really won't happen, LA, Bioware and EA are all too pig-ignorant to accept defeat, so they will keep on kicking that dead equine beast of theirs until every cent has fallen out

• someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088

I don't think so. SWG engine is too dated and a complete mess. Not worth purchasing the rights for. And for SOE SWG is in the past. If some company would be interested in creating a new SW MMO, it would be from scratch I expect. But this would be too soon after SWTOR.

• GTwanderGTwander Member UncommonPosts: 6,035

SOE owned the original platform, but had to license the IP yearly from Lucasarts.

There is no way to get these jilted (and absolutely mental) lovers back together... but f**k I wish it was so.

Writer / Musician / Game Designer

Now Playing: Skyrim, Wurm Online, Tropico 4
    Waiting On: GW2, TSW, Archeage, The Rapture

• ignore_meignore_me Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,987

Originally posted by someforumguy

I don't think so. SWG engine is too dated and a complete mess. Not worth purchasing the rights for. And for SOE SWG is in the past. If some company would be interested in creating a new SW MMO, it would be from scratch I expect. But this would be too soon after SWTOR.

/agree

It would have to be a new SW MMO that was not from either SOE or BW.

Probably have to have some elements like Battlefront in order to draw people in. Some sort of ThemeBox hybrid design, and probably a BTP model. It would need to be deep as well, RP and systems deep so that the IP is fleshed out and not dropped flat like in SWTOR.

Survivor of the great MMORPG Famine of 2011

• CorehavenCorehaven Member UncommonPosts: 1,533

Might not be for a long time, but one day, even though Ive never played the first one, I wouldnt mind seeing a

Star Wars Galaxy 2.   That could be darn swell I bet. 

• antlordiantlordi Member Posts: 17

Originally posted by Corehaven

Might not be for a long time, but one day, even though Ive never played the first one, I wouldnt mind seeing a

Star Wars Galaxy 2.   That could be darn swell I bet. 

Even if SOE remove the star wars license and do an unofficially follow up removing the SW references and creating their own basic lore, Jedi are not what made that game great, it was the freedom and sandbox environments and a crafting and resource system quite un-equalled in anything out now

• lostscout5lostscout5 Member Posts: 57

Sorry but  the odds of SWG coming back are slim to none. Between the licensing, the technical issues and the pride and egos involved...no way. SWG 2 . Maybe, some day. But not anytime soon.

• DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,982

SWG = Original Guns 'N Roses (Axl, Slash, Izzy, Duff, Adler)

SWTOR = New Guns 'N Roses (Axl, the guy with the bucket on his head, and the other guys)

The day old GNR reunite is the day SWG re-releases.

• ShodanasShodanas Member RarePosts: 1,933

@OP: So, because you didn't like SW TOR it is a horrible game? The amount of self-righteousness displayes on these boards is just of the scale. 

• nyxiumnyxium Member UncommonPosts: 1,345

I don't think we will see SWG again. I would not give up hope of another MMO set in the Classic time period though. There's too much money not to be made. Seriously doubt that it will be an EA or Sony game though.. Activision? Probably not. CCP would be a rival not a developer for a SW classic MMO.. so that does not leave many publishers the way the financial world is going.

I would not be surprised if Lucasarts itself becomes a direct publisher of any future SW MMO set in the classic timeline.

• eyceleycel Member Posts: 1,334

Originally posted by WarWitch

I dont think swtor is horrable.

I dont think you were even a paying coustomer of swg over the life of the game.

Their are a lot of free to play swg servers out their up and running use google.

War is right here, and I love SWTOR, I dont know about you guys but having a positive attitude can sometimes be beneficial to other players not just your self.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

Originally posted by Shodanas

@OP: So, because you didn't like SW TOR it is a horrible game? The amount of self-righteousness displayes on these boards is just of the scale. 

And because you enjoy SWTOR it's a good game?  The knife cuts both ways.

All depends on one's perspective of course, and fans of SWG are pretty much going to condemn the design of SWTOR.

Doesn't make them right, really just comes down to gameplay preference.

Back to the OP's question, no, SWG isn't coming back, you will never see anything of it's like ever again unfortunately.

Learn to find the fun in the titles as they are today or plan on leaving the genre, because you'll never find what you desire in modern AAA MMO's.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• Bob_BlawblawBob_Blawblaw Member Posts: 1,278

Originally posted by mmoDAD

SWG = Original Guns 'N Roses (Axl, Slash, Izzy, Duff, Adler)

SWTOR = New Guns 'N Roses (Axl, the guy with the bucket on his head, and the other guys)

The day old GNR reunite is the day SWG re-releases.

That's a fairly reasonable analogy (and funny).

Sadly I think the chances are much slimmer we'll be seeing an official SWG re-release.

• xKingdomxxKingdomx Member UncommonPosts: 1,541

When feature phones makes a comback and pushes smartphone out of the market.

How much WoW could a WoWhater hate, if a WoWhater could hate WoW?
    As much WoW as a WoWhater would, if a WoWhater could hate WoW.

• Bob_BlawblawBob_Blawblaw Member Posts: 1,278

Originally posted by xKingdomx

When feature phones makes a comback and pushes smartphone out of the market.

Wish there was a 'like' or '+1' for this comment.

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965

Ever seen an MMO being reinstated after being shut down?

There is your answer.

I would love to see Tabula Rasa being brought back online.  Ain't ever gonna happen!

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

If TOR closes down (or close to) someone else might get the license instead but frankly were SWG never that large. If they brought it back it would never come close to 100K players anyways and LA aims higher than that.

I would be very surprised if SOE got the license for a new game, and SWG will never be revived, sorry.

Your best hope is that someone opens up a illegal private server (if none such exist already). Anything else wont happen.

Well, SOE could maybe use SWG as a base for a new game with another setting but it isn´t likely.

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

No, complex sandboxes are not considered by triple A budget companies. Must be ThemePark and must cater to casuals to maximize profits.

• DrannyDranny Member UncommonPosts: 279

I do think IF SWG 2 was done right if would be a popular game, It may only get a couple of hundred k subs but I think it would run at a profit.

But ofc this is just my opinion.

If I ever had the money (which will never happen) I would like to see a SWG/EVE cross over with lots of planets to be fought over. SWG on the gound and EVE in space.

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

Originally posted by Loke666

If TOR closes down (or close to) someone else might get the license instead but frankly were SWG never that large. If they brought it back it would never come close to 100K players anyways and LA aims higher than that.

I would be very surprised if SOE got the license for a new game, and SWG will never be revived, sorry.

Your best hope is that someone opens up a illegal private server (if none such exist already). Anything else wont happen.

Well, SOE could maybe use SWG as a base for a new game with another setting but it isn´t likely.

SWG had 250-300k subscribers between 2003 and 2005 when NGE hit and the subs plummeted. And that number is really nice for pre-WoW era. Prior to that it was basically only EQ, FF XI and Lineage 1 that could beat those numbers.

So if they brought back a modern SWG I would bet it would get a sustained subscriber base of 300k, easy. Specially since because of the so many ThemeParks being released I imagine there is a demand for something different.

But it would not happen, no. Current (triple A) MMO devs/producers are aiming for big sales (1 M+) then when the subscriber base is low enough, go F2P and focus on the cash-shop to maximize profits. Or do like GW 2 and go B2P+cash shop. A sandbox would not work like that because for one it caters to less amount of people and a cash-shop in sandbox, I dont really think it will work.

MMOs are big bussiness now so the main, and maybe even only, driving force is maximizing return of investment. That is why MMOs these days are so easy and hand-holds you, to cater to as many people as possible.

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254

Originally posted by Yamota

Originally posted by Loke666

SWG had 250-300k subscribers between 2003 and 2005 when NGE hit and the subs plummeted. And that number is really nice for pre-WoW era. Prior to that it was basically only EQ, FF XI and Lineage 1 that could beat those numbers.

So if they brought back a modern SWG I would bet it would get a sustained subscriber base of 300k, easy. Specially since because of the so many ThemeParks being released I imagine there is a demand for something different.

But it would not happen, no. Current (triple A) MMO devs/producers are aiming for big sales (1 M+) then when the subscriber base is low enough, go F2P and focus on the cash-shop to maximize profits. Or do like GW 2 and go B2P+cash shop. A sandbox would not work like that because for one it caters to less amount of people and a cash-shop in sandbox, I dont really think it will work.

MMOs are big bussiness now so the main, and maybe even only, driving force is maximizing return of investment. That is why MMOs these days are so easy and hand-holds you, to cater to as many people as possible.

Nah, it was sloppy and people expect more now. It doesn't have to do with other developers, it has to do with player expectations in quality.

Some solid systems, but nothing amazing. Perhaps crafting is the only thing worth re-looking at. Although it was also extremely frustrating if you kept losing the die roll.