Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guild Wars 2: Human Weaklings

2»

Comments

• someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088

The writer is one of those realists people like to call pessimists :)

I will probably play human because I'm not allowed to play Charr from a friend of mine :p She still hates their guts for what they did to Ascalon, even though that was the Flame Legion. To her that doesn't matter or the fact that I call her a xenophobe when I try to convince her that some Charr are good :)

• OutisOutis Member UncommonPosts: 105

Originally posted by Saxx0n

I rolled a human warrior yesterday due to getting locked out of wvw by crashing. To be honest I was using a mace and shield and was able to solo mobs 4 to 5 levels above me lvl 9s and 10s at level 5. I was actually playing with skill dodging and rolling and using stuns to awesome effect and most fights were close. I made it to Beetleun at level 5 so overall the humans might be weak but that just allows the heroes to be and feel that much more important and epic.

People saying melee needs adjustment for pve just need to grasp the combat mechanics and learn to play properly.

"People saying melee needs adjustment for pve just need to grasp the combat mechanics and learn to play properly."

Second that too many time people want to complain that a class is weak when it just the player does not understand the playstlye of the class.

• ihatepugsihatepugs Member Posts: 61

I do agree on the attitude part.  If you play the noble storylines, you can feel how much better the nobility feel compared to the other "inferior" races.  Maybe it's just an outlook of having a race that has a more noticeable social ranking.  The Norn don't follow the concept of leader that well and prefer being-- well, the the hero of their personal story, ha.   The Charr are cogs in their huge army.  The other races will be fleshed out, but having the social standing of humans can be easily used to show how significant different the life within the city is compared to those outside the walls, suffering from Centaur attacks.  I don't think anyone here likes the social standing they perceive in our current society.  I'd imagine humans would not be attractive for that reason.  We've seen enough stories of corruption, that it's easy to hate the humans.  

Lion's Arch is really that melting pot for people care about the fighting against the Dragons since you see the devastation of the original city everytime you dive underwater.  With the three organization focused on fighting the dragons all parked there, more opportunities are available to flesh out a human player that dislikes the stark contract within the walls of Divinity's Reach compared to the villages around.  

I do plan on playing a human, but for more traditional reasons.  I liked the original Guild Wars, and it feels wrong for me not to make at least one human character.

• AlluraAAlluraA Member UncommonPosts: 9

Yes, you're right.  Human civilization < the others.

The Human Civilization is in decline.  What we experienced in the first game was the fierce last stand of the Humans' Golden Age in Tyria, in the interim, their Gods have withdrawn.  What you see is the remains of human civilization.  The other races that have been have conquered or otherwise encroached upon human territory and new races have been born into the world.  Humanity is intended to be diminished.  You, as a human hero, stand out in the crowd.

I recognize that not everyone played the first game and many are not interested in the lore... but it seems like they describe this little bit if you read two sentences about the race you're choosing at character creation.

Still, the people who are the most helpless are the civilians, the ones outside the city walls- they've got two sects of solider-police who seem to be up to their necks in trouble and corruption.  I thought the cities in all the areas I was able to go into created decent atmosphere and if you're around the human civilians of any class, they look different from one another- they have different animations, and from what they are saying, they seem cognizant of the greater world and war around them. 

I felt my human character lacked nothing for toughness.  I do hope we run into more human NPC's involved in the story who offset some of the sickly sweet heroic style I've seen so far, perhaps in the spirit of Master of Whispers from the original game. 

• dotdotdashdotdotdash Member UncommonPosts: 488

It's a rather apt satire of our species, to be perfectly honest.

We ARE largely ignorant of the world around us, and when faced with a crisis we flatly refuse to accept our way of life is in jeopardy until the flood waters are at our door.

Tis very rare indeed - in the scope of human existence - that we are proactive in our fear :)

That said, when the shit does hit the fan... we're more than ready to write a letter or two about it.

• NameWasTakenNameWasTaken Member Posts: 132

Humans arn't weak, they just... boring.

Nords are the new sexy, Charr are just RAWR, Asura are freaky anime cute and Sylvari... well they are just so different with their own appeal.

• RCP_utRCP_ut Member Posts: 263

Human FTW :)

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

Interesting how it reflects how we think about us as a RL species in our entertainment. In the 60s-80ies fiction was mostly optimistic, see Star Trek, we look ahead with the believe all could be better. Today, we see recession, global warming, overpopulation and all our entertainment-stories became darker, less hopeful. Humans making a festival while driven to the brink of extinction. Signs of a species losing its "will to power" its will to fight for survival, creeping in nihilism everywhere. Not a surprise that our fiction reflects that as we depict humans, especiall in the rich western society.

Fun thing is, I usually NEVER play humans, partially because I don't like humans in RL already, and because it doesn't tingle me. But here in GW2 I am very likely to play human, just to side with the underdog and try to change the tides. (And send every last Charr down to the damn Abyss! XD )

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

Originally posted by jiveturkey12

LOL at the irony. In the real world right now there is war's raging in several different countries, rebellions, people dieing of starvation, famine, disease, yet were all sitting comfortably on MMORPG.com talking about how the humans in GW2 are overly apathetic towards their war-torn world...

Indeed, ironic. But then, enjoy the festival while it lasts, I say.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254

Originally posted by Elikal

Interesting how it reflects how we think about us as a RL species in our entertainment. In the 60s-80ies fiction was mostly optimistic, see Star Trek, we look ahead with the believe all could be better. Today, we see recession, global warming, overpopulation and all our entertainment-stories became darker, less hopeful. Humans making a festival while driven to the brink of extinction. Signs of a species losing its "will to power" its will to fight for survival, creeping in nihilism everywhere. Not a surprise that our fiction reflects that as we depict humans, especiall in the rich western society.

Fun thing is, I usually NEVER play humans, partially because I don't like humans in RL already, and because it doesn't tingle me. But here in GW2 I am very likely to play human, just to side with the underdog and try to change the tides. (And send every last Charr down to the damn Abyss! XD )

I would just say two things.

Glee

The Twilight Zone

Ok, one more. Rose tinted galsses.

• TweekusTweekus Member Posts: 1

I enjoyed both the article, and the all of the varied responses to it.  It seems to me that the Charr/Human dynamic still persists from its Prophesies beginnings.  I've read very few positions that are centrist on these two races.  Wooden Potatoes recently covered the Charr in one of his YouTube "Daily's" in which he covered them in a semi-favorable light.  On his very next posting he was moved to mention all of the replies he received from people who still hung on to that "Ascalonian" loyalty so to speak.  Whichever side you fall on it remains a remarkable relationship that carries over to GW2.

Personally I like playing as human in this game, and I don't normally like to do so in other games.  Part of it has to do with that Ascalon sentimentality I suppose (I even prefer them over Krytans), but I really just like the way they are portrayed.  I didn't see the "theme-park" feel of Divinity's Reach as anything akin to fatalism or rediculousness.  I saw it, as a few here posted, as an unwillingness to let the threat of dragons and war shape thier identity.  Granted they are argueably the most removed from the front lines of the conflict, DR is probably the farthest away from trouble in terms of strict proximity.  But I felt the atmosphere of laid-back and innocent festiveness in DR, and perhaps Queensdale, was not due to thier ignorance or unwillingness to fight, but rather to a determination to not let the outside world change who they are or what they fight for.  Humans have lost much of thier former glory for sure, but they still try to stay true to who they are, despite the storm clouds on the horizon.  I find that commendable.

In a somewhat related field...if anyone knows of a GW2 guild that caters to some kind of Ascalonian theme I would be interested in any information about it. 

I came up with an lovely scenario that aims to test GW2's "cause and effect" event dynamics.  Simply put, I would like to attempt to alter the in-game power structure of the Charr zones of influence by somehow orchestrating local mobs to take over Charr towns and outposts on a semi-permanent basis.  2 reasons: one is to attempt to force the devs to come up with a way to counter the real-time loss of "safe" areas in the Charr zone, and, 2, to try and use that disruption to bring about some sort of "Ascalonian revival" in parts of former Ascalon for future expansion content.

Sounds crazy I know, but how cool would it be to try and use GW2's innovative persistant world to actually change some aspects of the game zones?  Something to think about anyway.  :)

KC

• NoxMaelstromNoxMaelstrom Member UncommonPosts: 12

While an interesting colorful commentary, the article fails to illumniate why humans are boring.  Simply said, it is because we are all humans and the race is designed to be like us - and hey, who wants to be us in a virtual world.  Other races in fiction are designed by isolating certain traits from humans and strongly characrterizing these traits in the new race(s)  The results are one or more races an individual can identify with based on how they see themselves.

I personally identify with the norns.  Someone above listed the races, attributing each with what they percieved as their strongest trait; until they got to Sylvari - which they were unable to identify with, and unable to apply a trait - I do not think they will be the only to find the race a bit strange. 

• SorrowSorrow Member Posts: 1,195

Norns and Charr are so agressive to compensate for small.... ummm...  well you know.

• GroovyFlowerGroovyFlower Member Posts: 1,245

I never pick humans eather i always play fantasy race.

• SilverbranchSilverbranch Member UncommonPosts: 195

Heh-heh-heh.  Mr. North, you DO see the irony here, don't you?

It's only in the past 100 years or so humanity has slowly shifted, then accellerated in the past 25 years in certain parts of the world, into whiny, pampered, cocker spaniels more concerned with their TV programs (e.g. festival tents in Divinities Reach) than reality around them.

Which your article sort of represents though Im sure you didn't think of that when written.

Raise the bar on "constructive" editorials and point out to Arenanet that in your opinion Divinities Reach and humans in general might feel more right in Tyria given the overall world drama in-play if they felt/acted/were portrayed more as humanity has historically been, as opposed to K-mart couch potatoes of only one century or so.  Try some examples out of history such as:

Spartans

Celts

Romans

Greeks

The Wild West Era of the USA

Vikings

Medieval Europe

Genghis Khan / Mongols

Feudal Japan / Samurai

Relevant feedback to help the immersion factor for GW2 would be a great way to NOT be part of  . . . what you complained about to begin with.

Wherever you go, there you are.

• EbonWolf90EbonWolf90 Member UncommonPosts: 2

First of all Humans in every game are the most boring ones. In many you see humans as great warriors, defenders of justice etc. Omg give me a break. Finally a game that will show true humans. I still won't roll a human, I am one in real life, why would I like to be the same again in a game? Isn't games just experiencing what actually won't happen to us? Why the heck would I want to be a human in a game. I prefer every other race than human, to see what the heck dwells in the sick mind of the scriptwriter, because in the non-human races of the games you can really experience what the script writer imagines. Humans are built and steady construction! We know what humans are, what they can be. There is no room for experiments there, but to see other factions, to see their look on the world. I played in the BETA and I must say that Charr's story was amazing. Got me hooked right from the begining. With every quest you pass, even with the small talks you learn new things about the race. Isn't that more fun than just going into stuff that you already know?

My vote is down with the humans in games.