Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Go Go Epic FAIL

Comments

• NightvergeNightverge Member Posts: 211

Originally posted by GrayGhost79

Originally posted by Nightverge

Originally posted by Corehaven

Originally posted by Unreal024

Nightverge, if there were offline only characters that could not be taken online, then there would be no feasible way to get any of the items that those offline characters hold into online play. I simply don't believe you, your client has no idea what items your online character has, it doesn't even know that you have characters until the server tells it. The only way for anyone to get offline items into multiplayer would be to hack Blizzard's servers, and you still wouldn't be doing it from your Diablo III client.

He's not understanding it because he refuses too.  Which is fine. 

Either the game is hackable or not.  If its not, the offline single player would work fine.  If it is, and the way he's describing it in saying " If there's any kind of offline mode malicious activity will go on" then an emulator could be built in time and its the same problem one way or the other. 

But thats not going to work with him.  D3 can be online only according to him.  Thats the only way it would ever work.  Which is false as all get out but he'll have to have it his way so I give it to him. 

I don't know everything. I'm learning constantly every day. So maybe I'm wrong. To someone who knows more then me I am probably. I do know of people who brought offline items to online in other games. That's what I'm going off of. They told me a few ways of how to do it in phantasy star online (which was another cesspool) which also had an offline only mode if I remember correctly.

I'm really just trying to throw out some food for thought though. Not everything is so black and white. Those people who manage the servers and systems at blizzard are not stupid. If you've looked at the application requirements to even apply for the position you'd see what I'm talking about.

I'm sorry but I believe them over the forumites. Everyone thinks they have a fix for problems until their idea is emplemented and goes down in flames.

No worries, the conversation wouldn't have gone the route it did if you didn't try insisting that Online only was the only way when there are several "Proofs" out there that show that Online only would not accomplish what you believed it would.

With so much hacking going on in Online Only games, it's hard to say that is the only method that works lol.

Its sad because if blizzard listened to the Diablo community this could have been avoided. We didn't want Online Only.

Sometimes I am a bit defensive on the internet like everybody I believe. I guess online only won't stop it either. If that's the case then I'm just extremely sad the sour apples will destroy yet another one of my favorite games.

I do remember them asking the D2 community about online only in the future and the response was generally "if it fixes the hacking then yes please".

I have no proof of this. I do not save year old forum posts as this was literally years ago. Still, I'm happy with it. Honestly It doesn't really bother me for the game to be down.

I feel that people are overreacting to it a tad bit actually. Every blizzard game is horrible server-side at launch. That added to the fact that this was reportedly the most pre-ordered game ever I'm surprised I didn't feel the nuclear explosion from blizzard headquarters from here once all of the traffic hit the servers.

I'm ok with it because, just like every game, it'll be ironed out in a couple days.

What's the big fuss? You have the game for your entire life. I understand you want to play desperately. But come on. Is it that big of a deal? I don't think so. You are entitled to though of course. Every blizzard game sense diablo (which didn't even use servers) has had server-side issues.

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775

Originally posted by GrayGhost79

Originally posted by Corehaven

Nightverge, if there were offline only characters that could not be taken online, then there would be no feasible way to get any of the items that those offline characters hold into online play. I simply don't believe you, your client has no idea what items your online character has, it doesn't even know that you have characters until the server tells it. The only way for anyone to get offline items into multiplayer would be to hack Blizzard's servers, and you still wouldn't be doing it from your Diablo III client.

He's not understanding it because he refuses too.  Which is fine. 

Either the game is hackable or not.  If its not, the offline single player would work fine.  If it is, and the way he's describing it in saying " If there's any kind of offline mode malicious activity will go on" then an emulator could be built in time and its the same problem one way or the other. 

But thats not going to work with him.  D3 can be online only according to him.  Thats the only way it would ever work.  Which is false as all get out but he'll have to have it his way so I give it to him. 

I don't know everything. I'm learning constantly every day. So maybe I'm wrong. To someone who knows more then me I am probably. I do know of people who brought offline items to online in other games. That's what I'm going off of. They told me a few ways of how to do it in phantasy star online (which was another cesspool) which also had an offline only mode if I remember correctly.

I'm really just trying to throw out some food for thought though. Not everything is so black and white. Those people who manage the servers and systems at blizzard are not stupid. If you've looked at the application requirements to even apply for the position you'd see what I'm talking about.

I'm sorry but I believe them over the forumites. Everyone thinks they have a fix for problems until their idea is emplemented and goes down in flames.

No worries, the conversation wouldn't have gone the route it did if you didn't try insisting that Online only was the only way when there are several "Proofs" out there that show that Online only would not accomplish what you believed it would.

With so much hacking going on in Online Only games, it's hard to say that is the only method that works lol.

Its sad because if blizzard listened to the Diablo community this could have been avoided. We didn't want Online Only.

Sometimes I am a bit defensive on the internet like everybody I believe. I guess online only won't stop it either. If that's the case then I'm just extremely sad the sour apples will destroy yet another one of my favorite games.

I do remember them asking the D2 community about online only in the future and the response was generally "if it fixes the hacking then yes please".

I have no proof of this. I do not save year old forum posts as this was literally years ago. Still, I'm happy with it. Honestly It doesn't really bother me for the game to be down.

I feel that people are overreacting to it a tad bit actually. Every blizzard game is horrible server-side at launch. That added to the fact that this was reportedly the most pre-ordered game ever I'm surprised I didn't feel the nuclear explosion from blizzard headquarters from here once all of the traffic hit the servers.

I'm ok with it because, just like every game, it'll be ironed out in a couple days.

What's the big fuss? You have the game for your entire life. I understand you want to play desperately. But come on. Is it that big of a deal? I don't think so. You are entitled to though of course. Every blizzard game sense diablo (which didn't even use servers) has had server-side issues.

Actually I don't want to play at all. One of the reasons was the online only thing lol. I passed on this game and am as happy as a clam about it. I jumped into the discussion to correct someone (You). And no... you don't have the game for your entire life lol, you have it for as long as the servers remain up :)

• TerrorizorTerrorizor Member Posts: 326

just out of curiosity, do you get better loot on hardcore?

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254

Originally posted by Terrorizor

Yup

• scotty899scotty899 Member Posts: 166

you will need it if you want to live :P

• TerrorizorTerrorizor Member Posts: 326

Originally posted by colddog04

Yup

So, it makes sense to try and farm hardcore if you want to sell stuff, and right now is the time to be selling stuff because things are just going to become cheaper once the market starts to get flooded.

• TurkeyBurgerTurkeyBurger Member Posts: 49

I think the constant login has more to do with the real money transactions than it does with anti-piracy. The percentage revenue from every real money transaction that blizzard gets their corporate mitts on is enough that by constantly having every player logged online you are that much more likely to sell and buy items in the real money cash shop. There are endless stories about items and gold being sold in Blizzard games from third party retailers. Now Blizz cuts out the middle man and ensures they get constant revenue stream, even without having a subscription model.

Yup

So, it makes sense to try and farm hardcore if you want to sell stuff, and right now is the time to be selling stuff because things are just going to become cheaper once the market starts to get flooded.

They are delaying the market for a week to help combat the problems with the market you are implying.

But yeah, if you are a talented Diablo 3 player, it would make sense to at least attempt to play harcore insanity. I'm not sure how difficult it really will be, but they were telling people that it really was insane.

• RuinalRuinal Member Posts: 195

Probably not a good idea until you've ran through all the content non-hardcore several times, and the servers have become rock solid.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Originally posted by TurkeyBurger

I think the constant login has more to do with the real money transactions than it does with anti-piracy. The percentage revenue from every real money transaction that blizzard gets their corporate mitts on is enough that by constantly having every player logged online you are that much more likely to sell and buy items in the real money cash shop. There are endless stories about items and gold being sold in Blizzard games from third party retailers. Now Blizz cuts out the middle man and ensures they get constant revenue stream, even without having a subscription model.

Agreed. Anti cheating is another possibility.

Anti piracy really isn´t possible anyways, you can stop people from playing illegally with paying customers though.

Originally posted by Loke666

Anti piracy really isn´t possible anyways, you can stop people from playing illegally with paying customers though.

People always put such a negative spin on things. You could look at it that way.

Or you could see that if blizz really just wanted to make a buck they'd just sell the items themselves on their website.

Its us they are letting in on the deal. They could cut the auction out all together and just sell the items themselves. but they let the players do it and make a small percentage. *shrug* I'll take advantage of it from time to time. 

Or, for as long as Blizzard keeps the servers running, game is pretty much useless without those. I do feel that many people are overeacting. I mean seriously, you knew it was online only, you had to expect this. People should have just done what many of us did and not bought it, or at least waited a couple of months. You guys asked for it by supporting this crap.

Oh please, they will keep them running far longer then even my interest for the game. If D2 is any indication they will keep them up for decades. Starcraft is still going for christ sakes so the threat that I only have it as long as they keep the servers up has no real weight to it at all.

The servers could accurately be said to be up for the next decade. Even longer most likely sense D2 still has servers up.

I'll rephrase anyways though, you will have the game as long as you want. That is entirely accurate. There is not a sole who will be playing by the time they close the servers. Its just how blizzard has always done it, they haven't closed a single game server sense their company was created to my knowledge.

• dubyahitedubyahite Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

Honestly, playing on HC right now is like double hardcore. The servers are so unstable you are almost garunteed to die to some lag or server crash.  

I would advise everyone to avoid HC until things die down a bit.  

Shadow's Hand Guild
    Open recruitment for

The Secret World - Dragons

Planetside 2 - Terran Republic

Tera - Dragonfall Server

http://www.shadowshand.com

• JyiigaJyiiga Member UncommonPosts: 1,187

• MikkelBMikkelB Member Posts: 240

Loke666 and Turkeyburger are right. The main reason for online only is the RMAH. As simple as that. I can't fault them for it though. But to make it successful, you need to have be sure that the items aren't duped or whatever. Always online at least prevents exploiters from trying to much stuff in a uncontrolled environment. I had to laugh at the emulation posts. Even if you can emulate the way Blizzard server work, you can't emulate the calculations behind it. Too much variables at work there. On the whole though, I can't be bothered by the lack of a offline mode. Diablo 3 is a multiplayer game that you can also play solo. If they can limit the cheating/exploiting and make the RMAH a success, then I'm already glad.

For all those that talk about splitting up single- and multiplayer, the way data is handled by Diablo 3, this won't be possible, at least not feasible. The data installed on your harddrive is nothing more then a bunch of textures, some movies and the music. Nothing concerning important parts like drops, spawns and other values. So it isn't simply a case of splitting up the single- and multiplayer component.

Lastly, this is nothing new. It has been known for ages now that Diablo 3 would be online only. If you don't like it, you should not buy the game. As easy as that.

EDIT: To the OP, it's your own damn fault of playing Hardcore Mode while the servers are still unstable. Have fun starting again, it's a good thing that the game is fun to play!

• p_c_sousap_c_sousa Member Posts: 620

Originally posted by fascism

thats actually really awesome, i mean it sucks for you man, but thats just a whole new level of danger for people who role HC and its sweet

hope this is sarcasm. loool.

lets make evryone lag on online games and call that a new kind of dificulty.looool.

• joocheesejoocheese Member Posts: 845

Originally posted by MikkelB

Loke666 and Turkeyburger are right. The main reason for online only is the RMAH. As simple as that. I can't fault them for it though. But to make it successful, you need to have be sure that the items aren't duped or whatever. Always online at least prevents exploiters from trying to much stuff in a uncontrolled environment. I had to laugh at the emulation posts. Even if you can emulate the way Blizzard server work, you can't emulate the calculations behind it. Too much variables at work there. On the whole though, I can't be bothered by the lack of a offline mode. Diablo 3 is a multiplayer game that you can also play solo. If they can limit the cheating/exploiting and make the RMAH a success, then I'm already glad.

For all those that talk about splitting up single- and multiplayer, the way data is handled by Diablo 3, this won't be possible, at least not feasible. The data installed on your harddrive is nothing more then a bunch of textures, some movies and the music. Nothing concerning important parts like drops, spawns and other values. So it isn't simply a case of splitting up the single- and multiplayer component.

Lastly, this is nothing new. It has been known for ages now that Diablo 3 would be online only. If you don't like it, you should not buy the game. As easy as that.

EDIT: To the OP, it's your own damn fault of playing Hardcore Mode while the servers are still unstable. Have fun starting again, it's a good thing that the game is fun to play!

I agree. If you don't like what Blizzard has done with D3, then don't buy it and don't play it.

However... I believe they could make the singleplayer mode completely separate from the multiplayer mode making the RMAH only connected to the multiplayer mode. Similarly to how GW1 separated its pve and pvp, I believe it could be done with D3 (I know GW1 is an online mmo and D3 is not).

D3 singleplayer: buy the box/download the game, no internet required to play and you only get what comes in the box; just like all the other dungeon crawlers.

D3 multiplayer: buy the same box/download the same game, internet required to play and get updated (from patches) gear/armor/weapons/loot etc, you get to play online with other players, and you get access to the RMAH.

Both options are available in your D3 account. both singleplayer and multiplayer aspects are separate (within your account) and items, characters, etc, are non-transferable from singleplayer to/from multiplayer.

With all the money, experience, devs, reputation and resources that they have I believe Blizzard could have done something similar to what I just described. I'm not saying that because they didn't do it "my way" that Blizzard sucks, but the fact that they didn't even attempt to try to provide an offline option for those who don't care about multiplayer or the RMAH I think says a lot of what has happened to Blizzard in the last couple years and that they are no longer the same company.

• joocheesejoocheese Member Posts: 845

I personally believe that Blizzard forced everyone into the new online D3 to get more people suckered into the RMAH; more money for them. I don't like it... which is why I refused to buy and play D3 (one of the many reasons).

• FusionFusion Member UncommonPosts: 1,398

What amazes me in this thread that how many people actually defend Blizzard against the OP's problems, what's your effing problem people?

Forcing a singleplayer experience to be wholly dependant of a constant internet/server connection is just not the way to do it, period.

http://neocron-game.com/ - now totally F2P no cash-shops or micro transactions at all.
  • oubersoubers Member UncommonPosts: 855

Originally posted by Fusion

What amazes me in this thread that how many people actually defend Blizzard against the OP's problems, what's your effing problem people?

Forcing a singleplayer experience to be wholly dependant of a constant internet/server connection is just not the way to do it, period.

yeah but blizz gets the shitload of people flaming while EA also get away with it on their single player games.....example? Dirt 3 is a single player racing game with a cash shop for extra cars......how is that for a single game.

Blizz, EA and most other BIG gaming company's (yeah even anet) uses these online shops for what??.....you got it, MONEY!!

If people would stop buying them, only then would they remove it but people keep buying (by buying you agree with them).

So stop bitching about it and live with it if you buy it.

BTW: Blizz stated from the very beginning that you would need an permanent connection with the internet....they never lied did they?

read the EULA...they never guarantee an 100% uptime for their servers.

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,990

Originally posted by jusomdude

Lag is part of the stakes for hardcore. Don't like it don't play hardcore.

Really is amusing the lengths some will go to when trying to justify things.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• MephsterMephster Member Posts: 1,188

Shouldn't be playing hardcore when the servers are unstable as it is. Still no excuse for a craptastic launch.

Grim Dawn, the next great action rpg!

http://www.grimdawn.com/

• ZefireZefire Member Posts: 676

Originally posted by Painlezz

Level 27 just died in Hardcore because servers lagged out completely...  I'm playing by myself... with myself.. only myself...  And I die from LAG...

Took almost a full minute for me to actually fall over dead while nothing was around my character on my screen.

Spells stopped casting.. spammed healing potions.. even attempted to exit the game quickly... no luck.

THank you blizzard for wasting half my day with your epic failure of a launch.... 

You should have known not to play hardcore when the game is released but only till it's stabilized.

All in all you call a game epic fail because u are Noob.

Seems like you are the epic fail cause u dont know how things work on  online games that just  released.

Originally posted by Zefire

Level 27 just died in Hardcore because servers lagged out completely...  I'm playing by myself... with myself.. only myself...  And I die from LAG...

Took almost a full minute for me to actually fall over dead while nothing was around my character on my screen.

Spells stopped casting.. spammed healing potions.. even attempted to exit the game quickly... no luck.

THank you blizzard for wasting half my day with your epic failure of a launch.... 

You should have known not to play hardcore when the game is released but only till it's stabilized.

Seems like you are the epic fail cause u dont know how things work on  online games that just  released.

Do you think that in the future, the servers will never crash again? Ever?

After launch, when the servers do crash or go offline, will you continue blaming the users for being stupid?

• GiddianGiddian Member UncommonPosts: 418

Originally posted by Zefire

Do you think that in the future, the servers will never crash again? Ever?

After launch, when the servers do crash or go offline, will you continue blaming the users for being stupid?

His point is, It happens alot on a fresh released game. I think you knew that.