Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: Five Dead MMOs with Potential

123457»

Comments

• opposedcrowopposedcrow Member Posts: 55

Ah Shadowbane...So many memories, some fond, some not so fond. I chuckle sometimes when I remember I played it back when it was actually subscription-based.

I'll admit I'm bummed I never got to play SWG or Matrix Online. Back when I was in highschool I had friends who played both and they would always gush about how much fun they were but sadly between car payments, food, and other expenses I just couldn't afford a computer that could run them. And by the time I got my laptop Matrix Online was dead and I was too invested in WoW to even bother with SWG.

• BenediktBenedikt Member UncommonPosts: 1,406

1. mythica

2. meo

3. horizons

• RabiatorRabiator Member Posts: 358

Neocron (even if it is technically not dead yet).

In terms of features, it was far ahead of its time end would still count as decent today. Unfortunately, the coding quality sucked hard, and so the potential of the game remained potential instead of reality image

• Bushi13Bushi13 Member Posts: 123

Tabula rasa was shut down mostly because of a dispute between NCSoft and Richard Garriott’s.

Richard Garriott announced that he was leaving NCAustin and Tabula Rasa in an open letter to the community, though he now claims this letter was in fact written by NCsoft as a means of forcing him out.

It was pretty strange how NCSoft at the time just wanted to shut down the game and pay back subscriber somehow with other goodies from them like prepaid time for other NCSoft games.

Richard Garriott sued NCsoft for $24,000,000 USD.[35] Garriott sued for damages relative to his termination from the parent company NCsoft.[36]

. In July 2010, an Austin District Court awarded Garriott US$28 million in his lawsuit against NCsoft, finding that the company did not appropriately handle his departure in 2008. NCsoft stated that it intended to appeal the decision

And of course they appealled and....

NCSoft had appealed a July decision which ruled in Garriott’s favour, awarding him $28 million. Gamasutra reports the increase to $32 million covers legal fees and interest accrued between the first judgement and the close of the appeal hearing.

Anyway this game was pretty nice I thought and I think of it sometime. It might have taken time but this game could have been one still standing with a good community right now, who knows?

Diablow 3, it sucks ...

• SiecefireSiecefire Member Posts: 23

I really enjoyed Tabula Rasa.  I reallly wish that someone out there can bring in a sci-fi MMORPG and really make it work.  Wish Tabula would have done better, but hey, Richard Garriott is basically the Terell Owens of MMO gaming development.  I hope he keeps his paws off of future projects.

• Roman291Roman291 Member UncommonPosts: 104

I agree with spellborn. It had a lot of potenial to be a great MMO.

• ThorkuneThorkune Member UncommonPosts: 1,969

SWG was my all time favorite MMO experience.

• EmeraqEmeraq Member UncommonPosts: 1,063

I honestly don't miss any of those titles, although admittedly I only tried TCOS and TR.

However I have to second WISH for games that never launched, and add UXO (Ultima X Odyssey).

• MalarkeyMalarkey Member Posts: 9

1. Earth and Beyond

2. Jumpgate

3. Lego Universe

4. Dark and Light

5. A Tale in the Desert (Living Dead)

• uncusuncus Member UncommonPosts: 528

Auto Assault

and if Ryzom isn't dead, well extreme life support is needed.

• commanderjimcommanderjim Member UncommonPosts: 40

Face of Mankind (although I believe thats still limping on.)

Roma Victor

2 of only 3 MMO's I've ever enjoyed, both had bags of potential.

Commander Jim

Were all living on knife's edge when will you fall off?

• WraithGDWraithGD Member Posts: 1

I turely loved the Matrix, there are a lot of us still dream of Jacking in to MXO image

If you still remember the Matrix join us on facebook facebook.com/groups/mxoemu/

• OrtwigOrtwig Member UncommonPosts: 1,163

The whole shut down of Tabula Rasa seems strange -- it seemed as if a lot of the features that are making their way into the other MMOs (phasing, dynamic events) were first seen in this game, and even if the game was buggy, it would seem to make sense to fix those issues and see where it went,.  It seems as if the dispute, whatever it was got really personal, and the game was shut down more as a slam to R.G. than because of anything else.

It'd be interesting to see if it is ever resurrected in some shape or form after all the heat has abated.

• CavadusCavadus Member UncommonPosts: 707

I really do miss the hell out of Tabula Rasa and was saddened by the loss of the "Infinita Rasa" emulator team who were issued a cease and desist order by NCSoft.

Jerks.

• jdlawrencejdlawrence Member Posts: 2

Earth & Beyond - how I miss that game.  I still remember how sad I felt while sitting in my Terran Trader when EA pulled the plug and I sat there staring at the disconnected from server message.  It was long time before I could bring myself to uninstall it from my system.

• racked3dracked3d Member Posts: 5

Earth & Beyond can still b played   :)    go to net-7.org   make a free form acc. and down load  the game is free to play    they keep the servers going with donations