Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

June 28th?

Comments

• kanezfankanezfan Member UncommonPosts: 482

Originally posted by Eletheryl

Originally posted by kanezfan

Originally posted by Wickedjelly
    Amazing how many are positive the game is ready for launch considering how little of it they have seen in the whole scope of things.
    Really is...

When we compare it to other games at the same stage in beta, yeah we are pretty confident it's doing well.

what stage of beta are you taking about?, The game is not even close to be ready and if they release the game now, it will fail. The performance issues are still there, and for a game with WvW or RvR thats is a gamebreaker. ¨the doorwars is still there¨ dont know if they have any plans to fix it, abilty delay, the problem with the animations, arrows through wall, is a long list to be honest. The game need more time. 

I didn't say it's ready to launch tomorrow. Don't know where you got that from.

• p_c_sousap_c_sousa Member Posts: 620

Amazing how many are positive the game is ready for launch considering how little of it they have seen in the whole scope of things.

Really is...

and you think you will see the all game before lauch???????? from what was available for me test, 1-2month seem ok to lauch the game.

we dont know almost nothing about the high lvl areas and i doubt they will make them available on BW. asura and sylvari areas can be areas that arenanet will never make available on betas. i really want try some sylvari areas on beta but im not expect everything will be available on betas for we try...

• semantikronsemantikron Member Posts: 258

I know that I don't know whether or not the entire game will be ready by then. 

However, I haven't seen anything that suggests it won't be ready by then.  Just take the state of WvW as an indicator for example.  It's a huge system.  Ginormous.  So much complexity and balance and polish in just that one feature.  And look how solid it is.  But there is soooo much PVE world that we havent seen.

Charr: Outta my way.
    Human: What's your problem?
    Charr: Your thin skin.

• Originally posted by Wickedjelly

When we compare it to other games at the same stage in beta, yeah we are pretty confident it's doing well.

That's great. You guys should tell Anet it is ready to launch then. Glad to hear.

Well my understanding is that they are not going to show Asura and Sylvari during Beta at all.  So there will always be a significant number of zones we won't test at all.

Anet are professionals (professionals in my own profession in fact) and they have given me little reason to believe they don't know what they are doing or even that they are too arrogant to listen to their testers which is a fatal thing many MMOs dev houses seem to fall into.

So I basically have to assume they have good reason for doing stuff like that.  I assume they are confident in their internal and closed beta testing of those area.  And they have used proper coding such that when they identify a bug in the personal story of say humans, that the change they make to fix it affects the other race's personal story because they have properly reused thier code/created a proper hierachry of functionality.

Of course I could be wrong.  Perhaps the code is an unmitigated nightmare like the SWG code base.  But I don't use beta to evaluate whether the entire game is excellent.  There has never been a Beta where people really knew what happened at max level or at least no in a way they could prove well.

Based on other betas of MMOs they are in really good shape even with the issues they do have.

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member Posts: 4,990

Originally posted by p_c_sousa

Really is...

and you think you will see the all game before lauch????????

Yes.

Clearly by my post that is what I think.

>_>

What I think is some people are once again building unrealistic expectations. You know...the same ones that when they aren't met then proceed to make topics ranting about that as well.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• Originally posted by Eletheryl

Really is...

what stage of beta are you taking about?, The game is not even close to be ready and if they release the game now, it will fail. The performance issues are still there, and for a game with WvW or RvR thats is a gamebreaker. ¨the doorwars is still there¨ dont know if they have any plans to fix it, abilty delay, the problem with the animations, arrows through wall, is a long list to be honest. The game need more time. 

Many performance issues don't take 6 months to fix. 

What ability delays?  This is the first time i have heard of that unless you are talking about lag.  GW2 does NOT have the ability delay problems SWTOR had/has.  There are really VERY few animation issues compared to other games at this stage.

There are at least two ways i have seen people use to circumvent doors via teleports that probably need to go as supposedly there should be no way to circumvent doors.  Some stuff like that may need to get fixed.

And what are you talking about when you say "fixing the doorwars".  Get a ram and other siege engines and make sure you are destroying the oil.  Seriously, just because you opted to ram your head against a wall doesn't mean there are no tools for getting through walls.

• Originally posted by Wickedjelly

Really is...

Yes.

>_>

What I think is some people are once again building unrealistic expectations. You know...the same ones that when they aren't met then proceed to make topics ranting about that as well.

You may have valid point, but you are expressing it with a "pot meet kettle" situation.

• fiontarfiontar Member UncommonPosts: 3,682

As to a couple "issues" with the beta one or two people raised... I played a Warrior during the stress test, specifically because some people were complaining about melee ability delays. I experienced no coded ability delays. Not while unlocking all my weapon skills nor in SPVP. I did twice during the test have a delay on a skill activating, but it was lag, not coded in, and out of the many thousands of skill activations I'm sure I had over the seven hours, two instances of skill delay doesn't strike me as a real issue.

"Door Wars"? The fix is the players, not the game. When people start to really "get" how WvW works, you'll see a lot less "Door Wars" and a lot more strategic play. People who aren't manning siege engines, providing blue prints and supply or defending siege engines have a lot better things they can be doing other than banging on a door with their skills. Walls can be destroyed, supply flow does matter for defenders, there are boons to be won by earning the favor of NPC factions and a fortress siege can be a distraction to allow your faction to capture many smaller objective pionts that also provide serious contribution to your next score tabulation.

All MMOs today limit the number of zones and levels we get to see in beta. Many games launch with the intro levels shown in beta still having issues and, yes, some show highly polished intro areas, only to have higher level areas show up in rough shape on launch day. We don't know anything about the higher levels of GW2 content and we won't know until launch. All we can do is judge the game on what we do see and what we do see is definitely at a point you would expect from a game a couple months from launch.

Want to know more about GW2 and why there is so much buzz? Start here: Guild Wars 2 Mass Info for the Uninitiated

• Shroom_MageShroom_Mage Member UncommonPosts: 863

Does anyone remember that image that was in an ArenaNet album a while back?

Hmm. Strange coincidence. It's probably nothing...

"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." -Dr. Seuss

• terrantterrant Member Posts: 1,683

Originally posted by Shroom_Mage

Someone from Anet came out and said it wasn't a release date, jsut a buncha shirts hung up.

Now, mind you, they could be blowing smoke at us, but who knows?

• fiontarfiontar Member UncommonPosts: 3,682

Originally posted by terrant

Originally posted by Shroom_Mage

Someone from Anet came out and said it wasn't a release date, jsut a buncha shirts hung up.

Now, mind you, they could be blowing smoke at us, but who knows?

The explaination made no real sense, which for me sort of confirmed that was indeed meant as a reminder of their internal launch goal. Goals can slip and they won't launch until they feel it's ready, but I really do feel that this was their target date and may still be their target date.

Want to know more about GW2 and why there is so much buzz? Start here: Guild Wars 2 Mass Info for the Uninitiated

• maskmurdamaskmurda Member UncommonPosts: 80

I remember i made a post about it coming out 6/28/12 because of a picture and matching sites promote the date, and a bunch of forum trolls told me it was just a "placeholder date".  I guess A-net thinks it's  a placeholder date too.

• FalcomithFalcomith Member UncommonPosts: 830

Originally posted by maskmurda

I remember i made a post about it coming out 6/28/12 because of a picture and matching sites promote the date, and a bunch of forum trolls told me it was just a "placeholder date".  I guess A-net thinks it's  a placeholder date too.

Here is the article...

http://www.guildwarsinsider.com/developers-weigh-release-date-conspiracy/

"Those jersey’s are actually a tradition we’ve had in our design department where if a member of our design team who had been there for a while leaves, we’d hang a “retired” jersey on the wall for them. They used to be really crude t-shirts with names and numbers drawn on in pen but when our soccer team had cooler jerseys made we decided to order some for them. The number is their last work day. Sorry to ruin any fun conspiracy theories but any relation between those numbers and any kind of date is entirely coincidental at best."

• VidirVidir Member UncommonPosts: 963

Game is polished enogh for me to enjoy it,would be happy if they released next week.

• Shroom_MageShroom_Mage Member UncommonPosts: 863

Yes.

>_>

After a certain point in your personal story, the next objective is replaced with the message: "Demo story complete. Personal story will continue in release."

That seems to pretty clearly indicate that a lot of content will never be playable during beta.

"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." -Dr. Seuss

• RCP_utRCP_ut Member Posts: 263

I just hope they launch it when its ready and dont open servers with unfished work like many did before.

I wanna play it, but if they decide to launch it at December because they need to work a bit more on it, im ok with it.

No rush at all.

For what i have seen at Beta events the game seened to be almost ready, but we dont have acess to all game so no idea if other stuf would be ready or not.

About the topic date, i saw them saying, at twitter, tons of times this last weeks, that they havent set any launch date except it will be at 2012, all other dates are pure speculation.

• AsheramAsheram Member EpicPosts: 5,071

Well we do know it is getting closer anyhow.Newegg's date was 12/31/12 that last few months now it is 6/26/12.

• dontadowdontadow Member UncommonPosts: 1,005

Marketing material ships ahead of announcement, so expect an announcement the tuesday after the next beta.  

• heartlessheartless Member UncommonPosts: 4,993

I'm still hoping for a June release and the 28th would make sense. This way the 3 day head start will begin on the 25th, which is a Monday and it's the last week of the 3rd fiscal quarter for the year 2012, which may or may not mean anything.

From what I understand, NCSoft doesn't want to release the game mid summer because less people play in the summer (for the obvious reasons) and they also don't want a fall release because of how poorly Aion did. So that leaves either late June/ early July or November/December and I don't think that ANet/NCSoft would push the game all the way to the holiday season, not after starting the pre-purchases in April. Unless there are some serious development issues, of course.

They may be trying to keep the release date quiet as long as possible in order to deter Blizzard from releasing their panda expansion around the same time and taking a chunk of GW2's customers.

• johaocarljohaocarl Member UncommonPosts: 111

My wild guesses:

1- before they launch GW2, they will make an open beta, one week duration, that is "marketing" beta: for it the game will need be polished, no lag, all starter races, optimization done, most bugs debugged.

2- they said will do ONE beta weekend each month.

3- IMHO, they need at least 2 beta weekends for test asura and sylvari starter areas, because they need debug and see if events are working fine.

4- they too need at least 2 or 3 beta weekends for see if optimization is working fine.

5- that say me they need at least 2 or 3 beta weekends  before try an open beta;

6- so, we have at least 3 or 4 months before launch (2 or 3 months for more beta weekends and one more month for open beta).

7- take note that it is possible that the test need more time, that 3 or 4 months is minimal I think they need.

8- that brings the launch to august or september.

• RCP_utRCP_ut Member Posts: 263

I would say September too, i think June is out of question..

• WolfynsongWolfynsong Member Posts: 237

I still believe it won't release until November, probably a week or so before Black Friday.  It seems that ArenaNet just has too much left to do - too much left to test - for it to be much sooner than that.  They've been working on it at their own pace for over five years now, I can't see them rushing it out so near to the end.  Besides that, releasing it just in time for the Christmas rush would probably be a sound business decision.

• Kykyryz-aKykyryz-a Member Posts: 113

Originally posted by johaocarl

My wild guesses:

1- before they launch GW2, they will make an open beta, one week duration, that is "marketing" beta: for it the game will need be polished, no lag, all starter races, optimization done, most bugs debugged.

2- they said will do ONE beta weekend each month.

3- IMHO, they need at least 2 beta weekends for test asura and sylvari starter areas, because they need debug and see if events are working fine.

I dont think they will ever give us Asura Sylvari for test!

4- they too need at least 2 or 3 beta weekends for see if optimization is working fine.

Also not the case optimization not a big problem  can be fixed after start as even now game runs very good

5- that say me they need at least 2 or 3 beta weekends  before try an open beta; 

Same Thing open beta like 99% will never be here    and only Free trial  after release 

6- so, we have at least 3 or 4 months before launch (2 or 3 months for more beta weekends and one more month for open beta).

7- take note that it is possible that the test need more time, that 3 or 4 months is minimal I think they need.

8- that brings the launch to august or september.

End of June is perfectly fit into my mind as game already almost done (if pressa tested Asura Sylvary zone and im prettty sure in soo many years end game was also done :)

• SiphaedSiphaed Member RarePosts: 1,114

A few issues with June 28th:

1)  Thursday.  Who releases a video game on a Thursday?  Tuesdays are the norm, Fridays are an except.  Thursday is just crazy odd.

2)  There needs to be 1 month advance notice.   This has not happened yet, but there needs to be notice of at least 1 month.  Not really needed out of the game, so much as workers to put in for their bosses the PTO requests. 

3) Tests are far few between to indicate a current rush down of the game.  If they're trying to fix the fine point things to finish up the last bit before the game's release, there certainly seems to be no indication of a push for it.