Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mining in EVE - why has it gone neglected for so long?

2»

Comments

• CaldicotCaldicot Member UncommonPosts: 454

I have but one suggestion that would make my life as a miner in EVE easier: Right click a stack and have the option to split it into X number of smaller stacks with equal amount in each one. Other than that  I'm fine really, but hey, I wouldn't mind lasers in pretty colors if thats what the girls want.

If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe. - Carl Sagan

• ChristoooChristooo Member UncommonPosts: 86

I've been a miner since I started EVE, I personally find nothing wrong with it. Yes pretty lasers would be coool but in the real world, Whats the point? 

I mean seriously! I don't know about you but i can sit in my Hulk/Orca and clean a Asteriod belt without paying much attention.

As other people have metioned the price of minerals as skyrocketted. for example, a cargohold of raw ore is valued at 500m is around 680m of minerals. Its just amazing how much more you can make nowadays

• Salio69Salio69 Member CommonPosts: 428

ccp has been going on for years about how they "thinking" and "thinking" and "thinking" and "thinking" about introducing scannable comets you can mine.  this "thinking" has been going on for many years and nothing has come about it. its just the old carrot on a stick story.

ccp COULD do something really nice for mining, remove all the static belts and make them all dynamic, where you would have to scan them down to mine them. of course that would require ccp do actually do work.

look at the expansion before inferno, crucible. so many new badass T2 moduals got introduced. miners got crap. orca pilots got some new T2 moduals that are no where near the improvement of their new combat related T2 moduals.

they even gave destroyers a huge boost, making them alot more better for ganking a 300 mil ship. a few 1mil ships can down a 300 mil ship very fast. even with a tank.

truth be told, ccp simply doesnt like miners. miners tend to be more passive and dont do much protesting like the pvpers so nothing will ever get done. if you look at the eve forums, you'll see a new topic about how horrible miners are for the game. even though most of the real problem comes from the botting ratter or botting mission runner who introduces massive amounts of isk into the game on a daily basis.

if you are a real miner, i recommend you do what i did. i cancelled all four of my accounts until theres more done for miners. the pvpers cried, cried, and shed even more tears. they started cancelling their accounts, that didnt look to good for the investors now... ccp gave them shiny new toys to gank more people with.

• KiljaedenasKiljaedenas Member Posts: 468

Originally posted by Caldicot

I have but one suggestion that would make my life as a miner in EVE easier: Right click a stack and have the option to split it into X number of smaller stacks with equal amount in each one. Other than that  I'm fine really, but hey, I wouldn't mind lasers in pretty colors if thats what the girls want.

Erm...what would that actually accomplish, being able to split stacks in that particular manner? I don't see any benefit above the current splitting system that we have now, and personally I prefer to combine everything I have of a particular item/ore into one stack so that I can easily see the exact total quantity that I have.

Where's the any key?

• YalexyYalexy Member UncommonPosts: 1,058

Originally posted by Teala
    That has nothing to do with anything I said.  I just learned that CCP killedthe drone minerals which is cool, but that doesn't change the fact that mining is still one of the most non-engaging activities of the game(which is what my post was basically all about - and nothing to do with how much money people make from mining).   Is what I suggested really that to much for your average miner in the game?   I would think many people that actively mine would appreciate it mining more if it was more of a mini-game rather than a activity that requires very little thought by the person performing it.  

If mining would require people to actually do something, other then to fly into the belt and turn on their harvesters, nobody in EvE would actually do it.

You are a rare exception, when it comes to this issue, and nothing will ever change this fact, no matter how many threads you start about mining.

CCP did away with the alloys from the drones and reduced loot-drops from missions, so that even more people need to grind asteroid-belts and to increase the value of the mining-profession. That doesn't change the fact tho, that there's so much materials required in the EvE economy, that noone wants that to be an activity that requires players to actively do something.

To make the economy of EvE running, mining needs to be an AFK-activity.

• helthroshelthros Member UncommonPosts: 1,449

Originally posted by Yalexy

Originally posted by Teala

That has nothing to do with anything I said.  I just learned that CCP killedthe drone minerals which is cool, but that doesn't change the fact that mining is still one of the most non-engaging activities of the game(which is what my post was basically all about - and nothing to do with how much money people make from mining).   Is what I suggested really that to much for your average miner in the game?   I would think many people that actively mine would appreciate it mining more if it was more of a mini-game rather than a activity that requires very little thought by the person performing it.  

If mining would require people to actually do something, other then to fly into the belt and turn on their harvesters, nobody in EvE would actually do it.

You are a rare exception, when it comes to this issue, and nothing will ever change this fact, no matter how many threads you start about mining.

CCP did away with the alloys from the drones and reduced loot-drops from missions, so that even more people need to grind asteroid-belts and to increase the value of the mining-profession. That doesn't change the fact tho, that there's so much materials required in the EvE economy, that noone wants that to be an activity that requires players to actively do something.

To make the economy of EvE running, mining needs to be an AFK-activity.

And then the AFKers and Botters get ganked by suicide gankers. Such is the cycle of EvE :)

• ChristoooChristooo Member UncommonPosts: 86

Originally posted by Salio69

if you are a real miner, i recommend you do what i did. i cancelled all four of my accounts until theres more done for miners. the pvpers cried, cried, and shed even more tears. they started cancelling their accounts, that didnt look to good for the investors now... ccp gave them shiny new toys to gank more people with.

You know I was actually thinking about doing that myself. What would happent to the eve economy if suddenly miners stopped bringing in ore and refining it to minerals? Would the economy crash or what?

Just saying, It'd be very interesting to see what would actually happen consisdering now that Drones don't give nearly as much minerals as they did pre-patch

Originally posted by Kiljaedenas

Erm...what would that actually accomplish, being able to split stacks in that particular manner? I don't see any benefit above the current splitting system that we have now, and personally I prefer to combine everything I have of a particular item/ore into one stack so that I can easily see the exact total quantity that I have.

Obviously to simplify splitting the ore equally between a group of miners after an op.

If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe. - Carl Sagan

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

Obviously to simplify splitting the ore equally between a group of miners after an op.

I've been in mining groups/ops where the minerals were split, where the profits were split and where people were paid based on contribution, but I can't say I've ever seen or even heard of people dividing up the ore afterwards, let alone completely equally with none going to the main corp or the 'house' as it would be. While it's obvious from your post that some people do it, it seems like that's the exception not the norm.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

Originally posted by Loktofeit

I've been in mining groups/ops where the minerals were split, where the profits were split and where people were paid based on contribution, but I can't say I've ever seen or even heard of people dividing up the ore afterwards, let alone completely equally with none going to the main corp or the 'house' as it would be. While it's obvious from your post that some people do it, it seems like that's the exception not the norm.

Ore, minerals, Exotic dancers, whatever, what are you trying to say? It's a simple feature that would make things a bit easier.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

Ore, minerals, Exotic dancers, whatever, what are you trying to say? It's a simple feature that would make things a bit easier.

Touborg (Soundwave) likes these "Little Things" - quality of life type stuff. Might be worth it to pitch this on the EVE O forums.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• Salio69Salio69 Member CommonPosts: 428

the first mining corp i joined operated like this. there were hulk pilots sitting along the side of retriver pilots. as long as everyone worked, everyone got the same equal share of ores. believe me, it was a big boost for the retriver pilots and the hulk pilots didnt care because they werent so selfish. it was better then isk because you could go produce items if you wanted or sell it for isk.

i think the only exception to this was if someone were to come in really late into the mining operation, then they would get a small share.

the first mining corp i joined operated like this. there were hulk pilots sitting along the side of retriver pilots. as long as everyone worked, everyone got the same equal share of ores. believe me, it was a big boost for the retriver pilots and the hulk pilots didnt care because they werent so selfish. it was better then isk because you could go produce items if you wanted or sell it for isk.

i think the only exception to this was if someone were to come in really late into the mining operation, then they would get a small share.

Oh well, whatever floats your boat, as long as they don't have to dedicate an inordinate amount of resources towards putting that in place.

Where's the any key?

• MalcanisMalcanis Member UncommonPosts: 3,297
    Originally posted by Christooo

You know I was actually thinking about doing that myself. What would happent to the eve economy if suddenly miners stopped bringing in ore and refining it to minerals? Would the economy crash or what?
    Just saying, It'd be very interesting to see what would actually happen consisdering now that Drones don't give nearly as much minerals as they did pre-patch

I can definitely tell you what "would" happen, because it's already happening.

Last Friday I met up with a rather senior Goon* in London and had a chat with him. He told me that he's been running 4 or 5 hulks plus a Rorqual in a dead end system in Deklein, cherry-picking the ABC ores from mining anomalies and Grav plexes, and making about 4-500M/hr doing it.

I believe the words he used were along the lines of "mining is still pretty boring, but making nearly half a bill an hour does take the sting out of it". His major complaint was losing all his mining drones every time he had to safe up. But then mining drones are super cheap so...

Anyway: He's far from the only one.

So there's your answer: once the reward gets high enough, "PvP" players will overcome their inherent distaste for mining and do it anyway because the money is too good to ignore. And because these are people who are used to being situationally aware, have already set up intel channels, routinely work with others, and live in 0.0 to start with, then all the complaints that hi-sec miners make are irrelevent to them. Your complaints are laughable to them. They're literally laughing at you, because in quitting you've given them a new hi-income profession as well as your inane tears for them to enjoy.

They're adapting and thriving, you're quitting and crying.

*Very pleasant fellow. Good company.

Give me liberty or give me lasers

Originally posted by Malcanis
    Originally posted by Christooo

I can definitely tell you what "would" happen, because it's already happening.

Last Friday I met up with a rather senior Goon* in London and had a chat with him. He told me that he's been running 4 or 5 hulks plus a Rorqual in a dead end system in Deklein, cherry-picking the ABC ores from mining anomalies and Grav plexes, and making about 4-500M/hr doing it.

I believe the words he used were along the lines of "mining is still pretty boring, but making nearly half a bill an hour does take the sting out of it". His major complaint was losing all his mining drones every time he had to safe up. But then mining drones are super cheap so...

Anyway: He's far from the only one.

So there's your answer: once the reward gets high enough, "PvP" players will overcome their inherent distaste for mining and do it anyway because the money is too good to ignore. And because these are people who are used to being situationally aware, have already set up intel channels, routinely work with others, and live in 0.0 to start with, then all the complaints that hi-sec miners make are irrelevent to them. Your complaints are laughable to them. They're literally laughing at you, because in quitting you've given them a new hi-income profession as well as your inane tears for them to enjoy.

They're adapting and thriving, you're quitting and crying.

*Very pleasant fellow. Good company.

I agree with everything here. I usually mission for my income because a) as boring as it is it's still more fun than mining, and b) before the drone loot patch and botter bash even in a nearly maxed Hulk if I solo mined in a 0.5 system I could still make only about 1/8 of what I could missioning.

However, I've been keeping an eye on the mineral prices. If they get much higher then mining is going to be a VERY nice source of income, so I'll just go to some roids, start shooting lasers, sit back and read a good book while the income flows in.

Quit and cry if you want to, if more miners quit the more mineral supply will drop and the prices will go up, meaning even more income for the rest of us :)

Where's the any key?

• tnhmbtnhmb Member UncommonPosts: 10

would be nice to have new minerals :)

Interesting to read Selene's blog of the CSM meeting. Some industry comments there.

http://seleenes-sandbox.blogspot.co.uk/2012/06/csm-7-spring-summit-review-part-i.html 

Read part ii as well, it's good stuff

Interesting to read Selene's blog of the CSM meeting. Some industry comments there.

http://seleenes-sandbox.blogspot.co.uk/2012/06/csm-7-spring-summit-review-part-i.html 

Niiiiice link, definitely going to keep watch on that forum.

Where's the any key?

• TwistingfateTwistingfate Member Posts: 177

I stand with the "Dont fix it if it aint broke" crowd to be honest. Mining may be boring for some but I personally enjoy that relaxing it is. Mine some roids, chit chat, read a book, watch a movie. its a really stress-free way to make some decent isk and relax. I think if they added some kind of minigame to mining it would honestly ruin that aspect of the game. For example if I want something thats really highly engaging I would go pvp or run missions etc.

My 2 cents

Best wishes

Saint

Well how about that? CCP are reworking the mining ships and introducing a new ORE mining Frigate

http://community.eveonline.com/devblog.asp?a=blog&nbid=72890

• EluwienEluwien Member UncommonPosts: 196

Using 5 hulk accounts, one orca and main as scout/support. One can scan down sites and everyone can haul. Income covers all the accounts with plexes with less than 10 hours a week mining. Dont have time to look at the color of the lazors, never lost a hulk in an op.

Oraganizing mining events, where ten to twenty people gather up, gear up and clear belts in ridicilous pace. One to two work as forward scout and scans more grav sites or locates belts with juicy ore amounts with scanner. Always need one or two tankig or killing NPC's and general protection. Typically the events also include aquiring/trading BP copies and materials found in other sites, so that the ones concentrating on invention and t2 production can do their part. Mining at million m^3 hour levels require logistics to be taken seriously, ore has to move, items need to be made, before any profit can be attained. While mining about everyone manages their PI planets, trade goods created and upkeep POS towers, jump bridges.

Mining alone with single barge is as boring as gathering profession in any other game. In EVE the fun multiplies even alone with bringin in more free alts, but it goes up exponentially if you are part of an organized crew. I dont see any other MMO's out there in which gathering would be more fun and demanding by brining in more alts to manage different aspects, or that would get so intense with a team concentrating on it.

If your gatherers meet hostile hunters, you better have enough hunters of your own to deal with them. You dont send weaponless people to warzone to collect flowers in RL either with hopes that they'll be ay-okay.

DAoC - 00-06 - And every now and then
    WoW - Online since launch - and now back again.
    EVE - Online since 07 - and still on, and on, and on..
    WHO - Online 08-10
    LOTR-O - Online 06-08
    Also played : Asherons Call, EverQuest, EQ2, Dungeons & Dragons, Cabal, Dark & Light, GW, 
    GW2, LA2, Ryzom, Shaiya, SWG, Allods, Forsaken World, ArcheAge, Secret World, Darkfall, Rift, ESO, Tera.

• FindarielFindariel Member UncommonPosts: 222

Well mining has been broken since .. a long time.

It isn't just the most boring semi-AFK activity (passivilty?) in game, it's also a very low profit thing (compared to missioning and definitely compared to incursion running) and the easiest to write bot programs for, persistent rumours tell that in 0.0 most miners are bots. Some people even have 5 accounts to have a private mining fleet, which is one of the saddest things you pay for and  do in a game imo. Also, people generally hate miners and like to (suicide) gank them for fun. As a miner you're at the bottom of the food chain.

No idea why some people still do it and why it was ever put into the game in the first place.

• WycliffeWycliffe Member Posts: 354

Niiiiice link, definitely going to keep watch on that forum.

Always think of that when someone mentions Selene now. SUAS claims its his favorite EvE parody.