Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"SWTOR Not a Priority for Development"

UNH0LYEV1LUNH0LYEV1L Member UncommonPosts: 571

I enjoy playing SWTOR but this article royally pissed me off...

http://tor-talk.com/storm-preparation/

CLIF NOTES: EA/Bioware does not view this game as a top 5 revenue gainer and as such they will be devoting most of their attention elsewhere.

Comments

• TpainTTpainT Member Posts: 31

What a dumb thing for EA to announce.

• BadaboomBadaboom Member UncommonPosts: 2,380

Me love you not long time!

• greyed-outgreyed-out Member Posts: 99

But how can 1.7 err 1.3 million paying subs not be a significant revenue generator to not make it a priority?

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207

this is what EA do with MMOs

once they are out the door they are considered done, they dont support them

same thing happened with UO

same thing happend with E&B

same thing happend with DAOC after they bought mythic

same thing happened with WAR

the fact they use terms like "franchise" when talking about games should give you a clue to EAs priorities, hard cash, sod the art, sod the consumer

• ignore_meignore_me Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,987

It's quickly falling down everyone's list of priorities. Tiger Woods MMO FTW!!

Survivor of the great MMORPG Famine of 2011

• SuperDonkSuperDonk Member UncommonPosts: 759

The only development from here on out will be to convert it to a free-to-play game with legacy/planet/story unlocks and purple crystals in a cash shop.

• DJJazzyDJJazzy Member UncommonPosts: 2,053

Good lord, what an idiotic thing to say to the public.

• ignore_meignore_me Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,987

That Guy's a Honey Badger, he doesn't give a shit!

Survivor of the great MMORPG Famine of 2011

• DjildjameshDjildjamesh Member UncommonPosts: 406

This goes on my list for:

Strangest announcements for 2012 ...

• XssivXssiv Member UncommonPosts: 359

Welcome to big business.  Even if EA scraps SWTOR completely, they already recouped their initial investment and then some.   I think they learned some lessons along the way and will now focus on new revenue generating projects instead of dedicating resources to a game that didn't work out as well as planned.

• eyeswideopeneyeswideopen Member Posts: 2,414

And if that isn't enough to tell even the staunchest fanboi that SW:ToR is indeed a failure, I don't know what else to say.

-Letting Derek Smart work on your game is like letting Osama bin Laden work in the White House. Something will burn.-
    -And on the 8th day, man created God.-

• zevni78zevni78 Member UncommonPosts: 1,146

Seriously, I bought the game for xmass and havn't got round to installing it yet, at this rate I worry that by the time i do there will be no one to play with, surreal, and a pity.

• hupahupa Member UncommonPosts: 157
    edited February 2016
    I agree
    Post edited by hupa on

Originally posted by SuperDonk

The only development from here on out will be to convert it to a free-to-play game with legacy/planet/story unlocks and purple crystals in a cash shop.

that wont happen EA dont do F2P

SWTOR will end up like WAR.  Still pay a sub, have a cash shop with P2W items to "moneytize" the loyal fans, don't bother employing many CSRs and let cheats run rife, have a skeleton crew of like 3 pimply youths to reboot servers when things go wrong and fix only really really really serious bugs,  Also if stuff aint working right, remove it from the game or "depreciate" it rathr than trying to fix it.  This is the future, getting royaly EA'd.

• BadaboomBadaboom Member UncommonPosts: 2,380

this song comes to mind:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1V6T0lJc3dU 

• NevulusNevulus Member UncommonPosts: 1,288

I have held my tongue for a long time concerning this game. I have played it, I went in to the game already expecting a singleplayer experience, and I quickly quit after my inital month. 

As a business man & an avid MMO player I am apalled how management has handled this situation from day one. If I can tell them one thing it would be this: Next time, instead of thinking with your wallets, hire a crew that ACTUALLY PLAYS MMOs AND KNOWS WHAT MMO PLAYERS WANT, and work from there. Instead of hatching together a single player experience with outdated concepts.

• SuperDonkSuperDonk Member UncommonPosts: 759

Originally posted by ShakyMo

SWTOR will end up like WAR.  Still pay a sub, have a cash shop with P2W items to "moneytize" the loyal fans, don't bother employing many CSRs and let cheats run rife, have a skeleton crew of like 3 pimply youths to reboot servers when things go wrong and fix only really really really serious bugs,  Also if stuff aint working right, remove it from the game or "depreciate" it rathr than trying to fix it.  This is the future, getting royaly EA'd.

SWTOR is a game that screams free-to-play to me. The legacy system is already tailor made for it. Maybe they planned for this after watching so many other MMO's going FTP and making money. I'm sure that they didn't plan to go FTP this soon though.

Originally posted by ShakyMo

SWTOR is a game that screams free-to-play to me. The legacy system is already tailor made for it. Maybe they planned for this after watching so many other MMO's going FTP and making money. I'm sure that they didn't plan to go FTP this soon though.

UO is still P2P

• Joseph_KerrJoseph_Kerr Member RarePosts: 1,113

Originally posted by ignore_me

That Guy's a Honey Badger, he doesn't give a shit!

Best comment yet.

I think I remember reading somewhere that they obtained free to play licensing for the product shortly before launch but I cant remember where.

• ZekiahZekiah Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

Priority = Quick Box Sales = Mission accomplished

"Censorship is never over for those who have experienced it. It is a brand on the imagination that affects the individual who has suffered it, forever." - Noam Chomsky

• MindTriggerMindTrigger Member Posts: 2,596

Originally posted by greyed-out

But how can 1.7 err 1.3 million paying subs not be a significant revenue generator to not make it a priority?

Because these idiots are still trying to get WoW sub numbers by making run of the mill themepark games.  They want 10 million players, and they aren't ever going to get them.  They should be concentrating on having several MMOs on the market in live development bringing them a total of 5 million+ players, and keeping players interested for 2+ years.

Corporate suits took over this industry a long time ago and the SWG NGE was the first major indication of it.  In the eyes of the corp and the investors, SWTOR is a winner.  It will make development and publishing money back and will generate income for years.  In their minds, the game is basically done and served its purpose.

This is not an MMO-only problem.  This bottom-line based greed and little focus on quality is happening in every industry in the United States and beyond.  Corporate greed is all that matters, while employees are treated like garbage, and the customer is never right.  Start getting used to it.  The only way it's going to change is if this country finally caves in under the weight of its own futility.

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

• erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022

We already have a lack end game content for level 50, unless you have a guild, or have a bunch of folks to play with. Flash points and operations do you no good on empty servers.

To come right out and say hey were not putting this in our top 5 games, means that they are turning ab blind eye to the problems they have and hope it solves itself.

I got to say by year end they going to have to sunset this game. There are only so many folks who will play a star wars game because it is star wars before they got so board they quit.   The problem is there was more to do in swg at end game than what we have at end game with swtor.

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

Originally posted by eyeswideopen

And if that isn't enough to tell even the staunchest fanboi that SW:ToR is indeed a failure, I don't know what else to say.

The way I see it, the failure is EA.  SWTOR is just a casualty of EA's failure.  I don't blame the game itself.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928

Originally posted by MindTrigger

Originally posted by greyed-out

Because these idiots are still trying to get WoW sub numbers by making run of the mill themepark games.  They want 10 million players, and they aren't ever going to get them.  They should be concentrating on having several MMOs on the market in live development bringing them a total of 5 million+ players, and keeping players interested for 2+ years.

Corporate suits took over this industry a long time ago and the SWG NGE was the first major indication of it.  In the eyes of the corp and the investors, SWTOR is a winner.  It will make development and publishing money back and will generate income for years.  In their minds, the game is basically done and served its purpose.

This is not an MMO-only problem.  This bottom-line based greed and little focus on quality is happening in every industry in the United States and beyond.  Corporate greed is all that matters, while employees are treated like garbage, and the customer is never right.  Start getting used to it.  The only way it's going to change is if this country finally caves in under the weight of its own futility.

they also do NOT have even 1.3 million paying subs.. i'd be curious to see what the real number is right now and even more curious what the number will be once TSW and GW2 are launched

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

You cannot stop the rage of ignorant customers...and in a matter of fact not even effectively prevent it.