Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Interface lacks customization

ReehayReehay Member Posts: 172

i prefer a minimal interface... i shrink, hide, move my windows and hotbars. especially a game as chaotic and messy as Guild Wars i reallly need to the ability to get windows out of the viewing area.  During the betas it just drove me crazy that i couldnt at least move my windows around... has there been any official word on the possibility of adding these very basic features to the interface? i'd love to hide the green outline on targets and mouseovers as well... heh.

and the numbers... FUQ all those numbers floating everywhere.. i dont fuqqing care to see them. i cant keep track of them and  they only distract from the game and our ability to make any coherent sense of the chaotic fighting. especially in WvWvW... omfg let me hide the numbers. plz

what about cosmetic addons? trust me.. i think Deadly Boss Mods is the worst thing that ever happened to Warcraft but i certainly love the Warcraft modding community's efforts to help us customize the layout and design of our interfaces.

Comments

• NaqajNaqaj Member UncommonPosts: 1,673

Which windows do you want to move around?

• StrixMaximaStrixMaxima Member UncommonPosts: 865

Apart from some strange design choices, the UI worked very well, and with the size reduced, it became very unobtrusive. But I fully expect some extra customization options for it.

I don't see a lot of modding room for it, though, which is a good thing.

• JesseBFoxJesseBFox Member Posts: 134

I agree there needs to be a lot more options for the interface. I can recall no official word on if this is in the works or not, but I am pretty certain that a lot of the settings and options are still being worked on, and I hope they at least give us the tools they gave us in GW1 to modify, move, and resize windows.

I think there is an incredibly small chance any kind of modding will be allowed though, even aesthetics modding. To each their own on that, as long as I can resize specific elements of the interface I am good with that (for instance, I want to make the minimap bigger. much bigger. but not the rest of my ui.)

tl;dr: I feel ya. No official word either way.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,003

Well, in the first guild wars they iterated many times during the beta events before coming up with a final interface. Which they also changed.

I would be surprised if they didn't add the options to change the interface around, resize, etc.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    The only thing needed is free assignable keys, i just love the minimalistic interface

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• Master10KMaster10K Member Posts: 3,065

Sure, I do understand some customizability is needed for the UI, as it would be nice to at least move things about. But I say no to mods. That could potentially open up the doors to all sorts of mess and GW2 doesn't seem to be the kind of game that requires much in the realm of UI customisation. I bet most people will simply be happy with being able to move shit around & change font size.

• UnlightUnlight Member Posts: 2,540

Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

The only thing needed is free assignable keys, i just love the minimalistic interface

Agreed.  I feel no need for any UI changes, but binding those function keys to shift or control modified ones would be very welcome.

• IPolygonIPolygon Member UncommonPosts: 707

I believe they said you will be able to customize the ui to some degree, but not on launch of the game.

• MosesZDMosesZD Member UncommonPosts: 1,361

There is some limited UI customability.   But don't get your hopes up for third-party UIs like some other games have.   They're very clear in that their concept includes trying provide a level, skill-based playing field for all players. 

Unlike WoW, DDO and some other games that turn into 'who has the best gear/macro/tweak-build" wins...

• xenptxenpt Member Posts: 430

they will let us customize not all but few stuff on UI  only after launch or launch day,

• DjildjameshDjildjamesh Member UncommonPosts: 406

Originally posted by Master10K

Sure, I do understand some customizability is needed for the UI, as it would be nice to at least move things about. But I say no to mods. That could potentially open up the doors to all sorts of mess and GW2 doesn't seem to be the kind of game that requires much in the realm of UI customisation. I bet most people will simply be happy with being able to move shit around & change font size.

What would you possible want to resize really ?

it's already a very clear clean screen anyway.

The only thing i got bugged by was the party window which i found rather large.  But then! i noticed the 'Minimalistic party window' option in the game options. So it's all good now =)

• WolvardsWolvards Member Posts: 650

Originally posted by Djildjamesh

Originally posted by Master10K

What would you possible want to resize really ?

it's already a very clear clean screen anyway.

The only thing i got bugged by was the party window which i found rather large.  But then! i noticed the 'Minimalistic party window' option in the game options. So it's all good now =)

I play on a T.V. and some the the higher resolution settings made the UI TINY, and i mean tiny. While it made the graphics astounding, it made the hotbar and char screen to small to read. I rely on vent so i just hid the chat bar anyways, but i would appreciate a size difference for the UI :)

Won't go crying about it though, game is beautiful and worth playing in high def image

The "Youtube Pro": Someone who watches video's on said subject, and obviously has a full understanding of what is being said about such subject.

• Shroom_MageShroom_Mage Member UncommonPosts: 863

If you ask me, MMO players are spoiled (entitled). This is literally the only genre in which players demand to be able to change the default UI and cry that the game is broken and unplayable otherwise.

Originally posted by Reehay
    i prefer a minimal interface... i shrink, hide, move my windows and hotbars. especially a game as chaotic and messy as Guild Wars i reallly need to the ability to get windows out of the viewing area.  During the betas it just drove me crazy that i couldnt at least move my windows around... has there been any official word on the possibility of adding these very basic features to the interface? i'd love to hide the green outline on targets and mouseovers as well... heh.

What windows are in the viewing area? Did you accidentally leave your inventory open? Nothing is in the way.

and the numbers... FUQ all those numbers floating everywhere.. i dont fuqqing care to see them. i cant keep track of them and  they only distract from the game and our ability to make any coherent sense of the chaotic fighting. especially in WvWvW... omfg let me hide the numbers. plz

I didn't realize you couldn't turn them off already. I think this was an option in GW1, but I'm not sure. Maybe not since there also was no combat log in GW1 that I know of.

what about cosmetic addons? trust me.. i think Deadly Boss Mods is the worst thing that ever happened to Warcraft but i certainly love the Warcraft modding community's efforts to help us customize the layout and design of our interfaces.

"I know addons ruined WoW, but they should let us have them in GW2 anyway."

"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." -Dr. Seuss

• FalcomithFalcomith Member UncommonPosts: 830

I think the UI is  good, but needs improvement. Especially since this is a fast paced game. Take for instance the Thief. There are 12 diamond icons above the hot bar (see screenshot below). These icons are a skill cost system. For each skill, except the auto attack, it uses up those diamonds and depending on the skill, you can use 2, 4, or more at a time. When you reach zero, your skills are useless. Now they do recharge over time.

While I think this is a great system on how to mange skill usage, the icons I believe need moved. For me I would like an option to move them to the center of the screen and to the left of your character. Along with that an option to set transparency just for those icons. I also would like the same with the stamina bar, but put it to the right of my character. They currently have it set above the right side skill bar.

Lets face it, we are more focused for fast paced, survival mode play style, on the center of the screen. We have to watch for certain animations and conditions in order to know when we should dodge or use a particular skill. A small distraction, even for a split second to look at the stamina bar or diamond icon for skill cost can lead to death.

See the small video I made of my thief going flippin nuts. Watch how fast those diamond icons drop. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3VIeyHmRIY

Originally posted by Wolvards
    I rely on vent so i just hid the chat bar anyways

Slightly off-topic, but I gotta say, I really hate it when people do that. You realize that if someone is actually trying to communicate with you, you'll come off as astoundingly rude, right?

I once grouped with some people in CoH who were doing that. Only one guy even had his chat window visible. I was trying to talk to them and tell them which enemy I was using as an anchor for my debuffs, but nobody ever said anything. Eventually we just stood around for a long time before moving to the next instance while I talked to myself until the leader finally let me in on what was going on. The group found themselves healerless that very instant.

"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." -Dr. Seuss

• p_c_sousap_c_sousa Member Posts: 620

Originally posted by Falcomith

I think the UI is  good, but needs improvement. Especially since this is a fast paced game. Take for instance the Thief. There are 12 diamond icons above the hot bar (see screenshot below). These icons are a skill cost system. For each skill, except the auto attack, it uses up those diamonds and depending on the skill, you can use 2, 4, or more at a time. When you reach zero, your skills are useless. Now they do recharge over time.

While I think this is a great system on how to mange skill usage, the icons I believe need moved. For me I would like an option to move them to the center of the screen and to the left of your character. Along with that an option to set transparency just for those icons. I also would like the same with the stamina bar, but put it to the right of my character. They currently have it set above the right side skill bar.

Lets face it, we are more focused for fast paced, survival mode play style, on the center of the screen. We have to watch for certain animations and conditions in order to know when we should dodge or use a particular skill. A small distraction, even for a split second to look at the stamina bar or diamond icon for skill cost can lead to death.

See the small video I made of my thief going flippin nuts. Watch how fast those diamond icons drop. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3VIeyHmRIY

great idea. i want that on my necro too.  class bar and endurance bar are used almost all the time (thief is really all the time xD) so we need to have a very good visibility on them, on bottom obvious isnt not the best place to monitor them. in next BW open a topic on official forum and i will subscribe.

the rest is just perfect for me, never see a UI so good in a MMORPG. 

• ShaikeShaike Member UncommonPosts: 301

Originally posted by p_c_sousa

Originally posted by Falcomith

great idea. i want that on my necro too.  class bar and endurance bar are used almost all the time (thief is really all the time xD) so we need to have a very good visibility on them, on bottom obvious isnt not the best place to monitor them. in next BW open a topic on official forum and i will subscribe.

the rest is just perfect for me, never see a UI so good in a MMORPG. 

imageimage

Just my 2 cents...

• ClassicstarClassicstar Member UncommonPosts: 2,697

Ctrl-Shift-H problem solved:P

Pls no addons we don't need them.

Hope to build full AMD system RYZEN/VEGA/AM4!!!

MB:Asus V De Luxe z77
    CPU:Intell Icore7 3770k
    GPU: AMD Fury X(waiting for BIG VEGA 10 or 11 HBM2?(bit unclear now))
    MEMORY:Corsair PLAT.DDR3 1866MHZ 16GB
    PSU:Corsair AX1200i

• ClassicstarClassicstar Member UncommonPosts: 2,697

Numbers, numbers:)

Im btw not annoyed by this im concentrating on having fun not upset myself or annoyed by every little thing lol.

Hope to build full AMD system RYZEN/VEGA/AM4!!!

MB:Asus V De Luxe z77
    CPU:Intell Icore7 3770k
    GPU: AMD Fury X(waiting for BIG VEGA 10 or 11 HBM2?(bit unclear now))
    MEMORY:Corsair PLAT.DDR3 1866MHZ 16GB
    PSU:Corsair AX1200i

Originally posted by Classicstar

Ctrl-Shift-H problem solved:P

Pls no addons we don't need them.

ya, no crap addons, GW2 dont need and im sure arenanet will not allow them

i remember other thing, i would like to see my conditions on top of screen (boons can be where they are) with more big icons. conditions are so important in this game.

other thing anoy me, on mobs or enemy players boons and conditions arent separated right? i mean they appear for order they stack right? i dont remember well so i can be mistaked.

I don't get why it is a requirement for some, anyway. In all other genres changing the UI in multiplayer isn't possible either or considered a hack, which can get you banned. In GW2 you shouldn't look that much at your UI anyway or you could get yourself killed.

Something to keep in mind is that allowing you to customize the interface at all is very bad for being a spectator sport.

To be an e-sport your game needs to be one thing: fun to watch. Everything else is contributing to that one thing, and nothing will matter if nobody wants to watch your game being played.

So much as letting you move interface elements around the screen is detrimental to this. If someone has their skill bars all over the place or their health bar in a weird corner, it becomes distracting and hard to follow. Everyone's interface needs to look exactly the same if they want spectators to follow matches.

Originally posted by IPolygon

I don't get why it is a requirement for some, anyway. In all other genres changing the UI in multiplayer isn't possible either or considered a hack, which can get you banned. In GW2 you shouldn't look that much at your UI anyway or you could get yourself killed.

why do you think some want the endurance bar and class bar in midle of screen...is because look to bottom of screen can get us kill....

why do you think some want the endurance bar and class bar in midle of screen...is because look to bottom of screen can get us kill....

Good players won't need to look at the bottom of the screen to get vital information. Once you learn the game and all mechanics (like how much endurance your character builds per second, or how many swings you need to fill your class bar), you won't ever need to look at your bar unless you want to change skills out of combat. You get most of the information already by watching your character and the interface overall. Most conditions have an effect on animations and/or screen tone.

Good players won't need to look at the bottom of the screen to get vital information. Once you learn the game and all mechanics (like how much endurance your character builds per second, or how many swings you need to fill your class bar), you won't ever need to look at your bar unless you want to change skills out of combat. You get most of the information already by watching your character and the interface overall. Most conditions have an effect on animations and/or screen tone.

lol. that isnt good players that are robots. yes you will need always to see UI to check conditions you have and how much class bar you have. what are you saying is impossible to do, especially with conditions...