Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Secret World: Removing Mystery's Shroud

1235»

Comments

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607

Originally posted by Domenicus

Thats a very insightfull negative critic of the game. I tend to agree with most of it. and I would add the poor customization of the character, specially char creation.

I dont see myself returning to Kingsmouth neither, however I think London will be the Bree thing... And by that we can assume we will have also Seoul and New york... I just thought it could be bigger.

Thanx!  Though I'd like to say my experience WAS mostly positive, or else I wouldn't have stuck around to finish everything I could, nor would I consider buying it for what I would expect to be just a couple months gameplay.  Hopefully my post didn't come off as mostly negative.

I'll have to take more time to check out London again on the next test.  My recollection of it is one where it feels like something seizmic happened and that the populace is stuck in that static state indefinitely.  I'd have preferred it to be more "business as usual"; this other world IS secret, afterall.  Maybe it was just the other players running around, making me think this?

Far as "fight zone" towns like Kingsmouth go...

...if they had a phased version of Kingsmouth after "saving the day", where the town is somewhat back to normal, shops are open, and you can buy kingsmouth exclusive clothing, crafting supplies and whatnot, that might do the trick?  Maybe even do instanced housing, there... where you can buy an old dockside house where you might recieve dailies involving keeping the town "normal"(or have them at Town Hall, the church, etc).  I know phasing and instancing are naughty words on this board(and often for good reason), but still...

Just throwing some stuff out there...

• LordEbolaLordEbola Member UncommonPosts: 51

what!?! no mention of the extreemly poor crafting system? yes it was avaiable, overly complicated with no tutorial,  even wepon upgradeing with glyphs was not explained.  after haveing to use the ingame browser (which is very nice) to find out how to craft on the funcom fourms,  ive found that the crafting in game just completly sucks and is completely overthought and overly complicated, this is game breaking for me.

• BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465

For me, the crappy, dumb AI (is there anything in the game you can't kite?) and clunky combat system were a bigger problem.

But as the previous poster mentioned, the crafting was none too good either.

As to the graphics, there did seem to be some out of sync actions on and off, but overall all not terrible, just nothing special outside the tutorial area.

All in all, it seems like another in a long line of MMOs that could use more time before release, but with only a month left, I doubt any significant changes can be made.

And no... I don't believe in miracle patches.

Not the worst MMO I have played, but very far from the best, and not one I will likely end up playing.

• IshkalIshkal Member UncommonPosts: 304

All i have to say is gameplay is greater then all. I would take the crappiest of graphics and sound for balanced fun gameplay. You've already had flashy games and games with great sound,but where are they now? Were they fun once you hit lvl cap? Did they make you want to play or did you feel you had to play and deal with all the crap to see what was at end game?The real base players of mmos probably aggree with me.

All I know is that I wanted to play tsw all weekend long and at no point did I feel like I was grinding. The quests were amazing. You all that played and completed them know which quests I'm talking about : D

• wjwatkinswjwatkins Member UncommonPosts: 12

Boy, alot of comments, I did the beta this last weekend. I hope the text issues can be dealt with first. I could not even read half of the text.  I have an amd class video card and heard that there was some driver issues yet to be corrected. At first, I found the game a little cold, and bland, but once I got to Kingsmouth the questing and backstory got me really intrigued. I like the idea of bringing thinking back into gameplay. Actual searching for clues, even an in game web browser with Google as the home page ( game hints please). That makes the game really fun. Compared to Tera, which is more about killing and killing more . Sh#t I haven't read the dialogue in the last two areas, however I do like Tera for the game it is. If they can clean up Secret World some --- deal with text, lag, and graphic issues, It will be an awsome game. I really wonder if it is ready to launch in June though. It really needs some delivery help, the game is there, but not really that clean. I mean we were limited to Templar area, and a single quest site this should be a really clean part, no bugs or very few. Oh well, another beta weekend in 4 more days, hoping for some improvements.

• ArpatArpat Member UncommonPosts: 27

I started playing AoC and was impressed by the way it looked and felt. They made mistakes... I hope they actually improve what we already have seen.

As 'believer' i already purchased the whole master/initiate etc. pack becasue i have faith in what they will deliver.  Currently i'm playing swtor.... and that's the standard for me to compare other games (looks, feels, fun etc. - not in gameplay directly)

This TSW game was(is) fun and amazingly it didn't feel like grinding at any point. Not even when i (surprising myself) 'hit' the  smashed 5000 zombies mark.. You just run through them and swipe them away. (and with better animations... it will be more fun even so. I seek them out to gather a bunch and have fun smacking them. how odd....)

the game delivered me quite some difficulties i didn;t expect, like puzzles, riddles and talking to ghosts. Never before I was having that much fun.  Not knowing the solution and searching for things makes you actually look much more to the world and surroundings. Making it much more emerging than any game i have played before.  How many times did you fly a RC plane to check out a location? or actually look up a nursery rhyme to find the clue?

I think for a first public beta i had a lot of fun, almost no problems playing it. (i had some crashes in the beginning trying to log in... but not during gameplay and after updating my up to dat drivers to the latest version the problems where mostly fixed and i run the game at directx11 and 1920x1200 )

I think that when the game gets some improved animations and such (say up to par with AoC or SWTOR) it will be a great hit.

No leveling. i'm already sold! Quests with brains... I'm bought! Smart enemies. I'm scared.

So i'm in. and surely hope it will be more alive then swtor. where i see less and less players active.

• Black_TigerBlack_Tiger Member Posts: 1

I played TSW last weekend as well and found it to be quite fun. I think the one thing you seem to be missing and can't seem to identify is that this was a Beta test. Nothing will be perfect. Bugs are expected to be found. Limited resources are put into the game at this stage, more will come with further beta tests. You might want to amend your review to reflect that fact. I got the sense that you were trying to review the current game as a finished game, not what it actually was. I've been a Funcom gamer for a number of years now, started with Anarchy Online. I'm sure the finaly version of the game will meet or beat expectations.

• OrtwigOrtwig Member UncommonPosts: 1,163

Unfortunately, I missed the first beta weekend, and was super happy when I heard that the 2nd one is already scheduled for this upcoming weekend.  When I played a bit of the game at PAX East this year, the thing I found most intriguing about it was that there are actually clues and puzzles tht you need to use your head to solve.  This is something that is sorely lacking in all current MMOs, and I hope it succeeds -- combat is great, but it's not the only thing I want to spend my time on.  Hey, novel idea -- how about getting experience (or skill buffs) for solving challenges no matter whether it's in combat or not?

• heartlessheartless Member UncommonPosts: 4,993

Originally posted by gpili

Unfortunately, I missed the first beta weekend, and was super happy when I heard that the 2nd one is already scheduled for this upcoming weekend.  When I played a bit of the game at PAX East this year, the thing I found most intriguing about it was that there are actually clues and puzzles tht you need to use your head to solve.  This is something that is sorely lacking in all current MMOs, and I hope it succeeds -- combat is great, but it's not the only thing I want to spend my time on.  Hey, novel idea -- how about getting experience (or skill buffs) for solving challenges no matter whether it's in combat or not?

Keep in mind that, at least during the earlier levels, these quests are few and far between. I've done about 55 quests total and I'd say that only about 3-5 of them required any kind of puzzle solving. Most of the quests just place a marker on the map.

I did enjoy the puzzle quests. They weren't overly difficult but much more interesting than the usual MMO quests we get. If most of the quests were like those investigation quests, I would actually consider purchasing this game. As it is though, the game has a lot more negatives than positives, in my opinion, uninspired combat and poor character models and animations being the most paramount. Also the cash shop + subscription fee just doesn't sit well with me.

• LudicrisLudicris Member Posts: 1

Nice Report, I played this weekend, but it seems you have the closed beta client I only had the pre-ordered beta.

I wasn't able to choose my playing avatar but had been assigned only a choice of male or female version??

I think your assessment is accurate AND if you follow the Funcom beta forum you will see that this first beta weekend appears to be more of a trial run for server load and dynamics then the finesse of the game itself.  So I guess prematurely judging the book by its cover must be taken inconsideration by your readers.

I also believe that because of the problems Funcom had with AoC's launch in the area of technical server issues causing bugs may be why this "presentation" is a little awkward to the casual gamer.

This game is NOT your standard MMO and the overall depth of design I believe is amazing,  I think that those who adjust to the game dynamics will be  a more sophisticated and mature player and not appeal to teenie-boppers who throw out sophmoric quips and may find themselves embarrassed once their mind reaches its next level of development as they look back at their immature posts.  (Lets hope for rapid development anyways).

Also the devs are answering in the beta forums the concerns of players in this 1 of 6 weekend pre release betas and constructive feedback is appreciated and their responce is building an ongoing sense of community to their forums.

Again thanks for the informative evaluation of your ongoing impressions of the game. It is contributing to my confidence of MMORPG as another reliable source for accurate unbiased reviews.

• ZoNEEZoNEE Member UncommonPosts: 31

You are probably talking about the post made on TSW forums where Snow said "Making animations for over 500 abilities is quite the task, therefore we have to use some placeholder animations on some of the abilities when showing a game still in production. We are working on it, and it will be amazing " The post can be found at this link here. http://forums.thesecretworld.com/showthread.php?s=90337150a322cc7ded8a0416c32457d3&t=26959 its the 6th post down.

• ZoNEEZoNEE Member UncommonPosts: 31
    Originally posted by Beyorn

I thought I read something (now I cant find) that all the animations were place holders for other better animations.  That may very well be Funcom double speak but I know the articel I read stated that.  Wish I could find it now ;P.

You are probably talking about the post made on TSW forums where Snow said "Making animations for over 500 abilities is quite the task, therefore we have to use some placeholder animations on some of the abilities when showing a game still in production. We are working on it, and it will be amazing " The post can be found at this link here. http://forums.thesecretworld.com/showthread.php?s=90337150a322cc7ded8a0416c32457d3&t=26959 its the 6th post down.