Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Secret World: Magic Skills Interview

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

The Secret World boasts that it gives players the ability to focus on whatever type of combat they prefer, whether ranges, melee or magic. We caught up with Funcom's Martin Bruusgaard to tals specifically about magic in The Secret World. See what we discovered and then leave your thoughts in the comments.

MMORPG: Will there be a reason for players to mix magic schools? Or will it make more sense to mix something like Chaos Magic with Melee weapons more often than not.

Martin Bruusgaard: TSW has over 500 unique abilities distributed over 9 different weapon types: Shotguns, pistols, assault rifles, swords, hammers, fist weapons, chaos magic, elementalism and blood magic. Players can mix and match any two weapons, but they have to make a choice. You can only bring 7 active abilities and 7 passive abilities into battle. There are always reasons to mix two particular weapons, but some have more synergy than others. Blood magic and elementalism is a great match for a damage-over-time-build, and they both can apply and modify how "DoTs" behave. Blood magic and chaos is great for a shut-down build, as chaos can knock people back/towards/down and blood have quite a few abilities that can exploit impairments (knockdowns, stuns and silences). Chaos and elementalism would make a fun area attack build. Drop a few manifestations down and go to town on a group with your summoned fist-claws.

Read more of Bill Murphy's The Secret World: Magic Skills Interview.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• zevni78zevni78 Member UncommonPosts: 1,146

They really need to make things like double finishers clearer, I was suffering through a lot of the combat, with no idea what to focus on.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

Originally posted by bcbully

but you did learn :) That's what this game is about. TSW gives you the oppertunity to figure it out.

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • KazuhiroKazuhiro Member UncommonPosts: 607

Well I hope the advanced tiers of skills/spells are better, as almost all the first tier skills in the beta weekend really sucked, both effectively and visually.

To find an intelligent person in a PUG is not that rare, but to find a PUG made up of "all" intelligent people is one of the rarest phenomenons in the known universe.

• IndolIndol Member Posts: 189

This is a wonderfully refreshing skill system. I spent a good hour just messing with the skill wheel, trying to come up with combo's and synergies. It takes awhile to wrap your head around the possibilities, even at this limited stage.

This week is going to go so sloooowww, wish it was friday already! Must play more tsw....

• SoandsosoSoandsoso Member Posts: 533

Maybe if people didn't go to sites and copy the guides they could deal with figuring out a build.

So far my experience with this game is it forces you to think alittle instead of the trend of going through the motions.

• BigCountryBigCountry Member Posts: 478

I was messsing with the Gear Manager last night (hit "c", then select Gear Manager on the left etc). You can create and load multiple builds like in Rift. So you can toggle between gear sets and 7 key ability setups really fast. Cool stuff....

BigCountry | Head Hunters | www.wefarmpeople.com

• MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222

I really like the idea of using passives from any area regardless of what weapon you have equiped.  I was not aware of this prior to this interview, good info...this should add a good bit of complexity to build creation.

I have yet to see any passive skills I can share? All the passive skills I have used go hand in hand with the weapon abilities I am using.

• BarCrowBarCrow Member UncommonPosts: 2,195

I played 3 characters so i don't remember all but I know one was a flat 20% crit. Another was damage related. I think i saw a defense one as well.. So even if you dont want to do Hammer skills or what not..it's worth it to spend a point or so to get the shared passives for some builds.

Of course eventually...and through much grinding I imagine..you'lll be able to get all skills so its just a matter of mixing and matching and making a deck for every occasion. Sad thing about that is you'll probably be finished with all the content by that time and it will only be useful in re-running instances ( if you haven't already run them ad nauseum) and PvP.

That's why I say,,FUNCOM! Keep adding content after all the other stuff is ironed-out and make TSW a great game.

I love it well enough right now in beta.So when I start playing at launch.. I just don't want to get bored by the end.

I am a little miffed about their name reservation that came with one of the bundles. I go to reserve a name and it doesnt give you the same process as naming in game. Where you have a first and last then a nickname. Also in the nickname you can enter stuff like "TheBeliever" etc..etc. You can not do this for reservations..one word...first letter in caps only... then lowercase for the rest . So I really don't know what name I'm reserving...first name..surname...nickname (if so why different format from character creation)?

I'd be pissed if I paid $9.99 to reserve "Ghostbuster" and it comes up as a first name or surname while some other player simply has "Ghostbuster " As a nickname during character creation which will show up as the name above the avatar's head...or some similar scenario.

• BlackbrrdBlackbrrd Member Posts: 811

Originally posted by BarCrow

I am a little miffed about their name reservation that came with one of the bundles. I go to reserve a name and it doesnt give you the same process as naming in game. Where you have a first and last then a nickname. Also in the nickname you can enter stuff like "TheBeliever" etc..etc. You can not do this for reservations..one word...first letter in caps only... then lowercase for the rest . So I really don't know what name I'm reserving...first name..surname...nickname (if so why different format from character creation)?

I'd be pissed if I paid $9.99 to reserve "Ghostbuster" and it comes up as a first name or surname while some other player simply has "Ghostbuster " As a nickname during character creation which will show up as the name above the avatar's head...or some similar scenario.

You reserve the nickname which is what is displayed to other characters and used in chat, the first/lastname aren't unique.

Originally posted by Blackbrrd

Originally posted by BarCrow

You reserve the nickname which is what is displayed to other characters and used in chat, the first/lastname aren't unique.

If thats the case then I wonder how it translates over. In the beta I can enter "TheMoor" to easily show that it is 2 words. On the reservation I can only put Themoor. Hope its just the letters and the format can change on character creation. That was my main concern. Thanks for the info though.

• QSatuQSatu Member UncommonPosts: 1,796

Originally posted by Kazuhiro

Well I hope the advanced tiers of skills/spells are better, as almost all the first tier skills in the beta weekend really sucked, both effectively and visually.

I wouldn't say they sucked but they definitely lacked variety. And during combat I was using 3 skills all the time and had no problems with any enemies. I hope later skills will allow as much variety as GW. Combat there really shined.

Originally posted by QSatu

I wouldn't say they sucked but they definitely lacked variety. And during combat I was using 3 skills all the time and had no problems with any enemies. I hope later skills will allow as much variety as GW. Combat there really shined.

If TSW doesn't blow your brains out with choices I will eat my socks. ;)

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207

post about combat from Martin Bruusgard

http://www.darkdemonscrygaia.com/showthread.php?t=30282

• QSatuQSatu Member UncommonPosts: 1,796

Originally posted by ShakyMo

post about combat from Martin Bruusgard

http://www.darkdemonscrygaia.com/showthread.php?t=30282

That definitely sounds better. I'm not a big fan of combat in this game but at least it seems like it gets more interesting later on. I only wish there will be a beta weekend with those abilities enabled. I'm still on the fence wether I'll buy it or not.

• gilgamesh42gilgamesh42 Member Posts: 300

this game has nasty textures

Originally posted by gilgamesh42

this game has nasty textures

Yeah, this guy really needs a bath

• astoriaastoria Member UncommonPosts: 1,677

I was exceedingly happy to just think abstracting about what my characters powers were based on how he looked and hook him up. Blood magic and a sword. Actually had a good flow too at low levels.

"Never met a pack of humans that were any different. Look at the idiots that get elected every couple of years. You really consider those guys more mature than us? The only difference between us and them is, when they gank some noobs and take their stuff, the noobs actually die." - Madimorga

This game barely starts in Kingsmouth. Wait until you leave that zone and progress into the others....it gets crazy! :D

This is a really good, original game with a ton of resources put into it.

Mad props to Funcom for opening up so much of it via the closed beta. Heck I cannot get enough of it....lol

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

I enjoyed the combat system in this, well other than the iffy animations.. other than that combat was fun and they way you get skills and the maount you can use at any one time is great.

cant wait to test this some more.

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

Visually and in audio the magic just lacks "oomph". I had the chance to play GW2 just 2 days later, and playing Elementalis showed me how magic SHOULD look and sound. I think the entire combat would need an overhaul in animations and sounds. That is just a very weak point in TSW.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• IshkalIshkal Member UncommonPosts: 304

You people need to stop complaining about the skills from the first beta weekend!!!!! what other game have you ever played that gave you 116 abilities in the 1-20 area LOL so an enjoy it for what it is. I think its funny how over and over and over in almost every TSW thread all you see is ANIMATIONS aren't flashy / The sound is wierd. REALLY??REALLY?? Who gives a crap if the animations aren't flashy enough for you or the sound effects arent cool enough for you, cause your obviously a noob if those are key issues to you in picking a game. I mean come on when was the last time those were your only complaints in a game and wouldnt you have traded those small easily fixed issues to make everything else in your favorite game better?!!!!