Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Total Biscuit's take on The Elder Scrolls Online

MephsterMephster Member Posts: 1,188

Listened to the whole thing. He likes the questing system but the rest is pretty much what most people are saying. Which is ofcourse disappointing.

Source: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ti0aSSioAzc&feature=uploademail

Grim Dawn, the next great action rpg!

http://www.grimdawn.com/

Comments

• Joseph_KerrJoseph_Kerr Member RarePosts: 1,113

One of my main beefs is that the combat wont be like the single players, which I actually enjoy. I really disagree with the 'elder scrolls combat sucks' comment I knew I didnt care what he said after that.

• VarkingVarking Member UncommonPosts: 542

I love listening and reading other people tell me what I will like.

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775

the things he says 'will never happen in an MMO' already do happen in some MMOs.

plus, I dont think TES fans hold very dearly to the fact that its a single player game. For me that is a low factor.

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• AegisSagaAegisSaga Member Posts: 33

Originally posted by Varking

By your logic, anytime anyone has told you their opinion on anything was them telling you what yours should be. Have you ever had a, you know, discussion about something? It's about sharing thoughts, not dictating the thoughts of others. 

• ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574

Originally posted by Darth-Ninja

One of my main beefs is that the combat wont be like the single players, which I actually enjoy. I really disagree with the 'elder scrolls combat sucks' comment I knew I didnt care what he said after that.

I know alot of others agree with you but I honestly hate the way TES does its combat.  Theres something awfully boring about left clicking your mouse button a million times.  I might be in the minority but I love hotbar tab targetting combat because it allows the players almost unlimited freedom in having combat skills.  I look at it like this, you can have 1 combat ability (left mouse click) or 12+ abilities (like in WoW).

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

• Creslin321Creslin321 Member Posts: 5,359

I love that the first thing he says is that it is NOT Bethesda making this game.  That is what I have been trying to tell everyone since this announcement first happened lol.

Are you team Azeroth, team Tyria, or team Jacob?

• SouldrainerSouldrainer Member Posts: 1,857

Originally posted by Mephster

Listened to the whole thing. He likes the questing system but the rest is pretty much what most people are saying. Which is ofcourse disappointing.

You know what the real kicker is?  They could have relseased ESO as an expansion to Skyrim and rocked everybody's world.  In fact, some players are doing that right now!

Error: 37. Signature not found. Please connect to my server for signature access.

Originally posted by Souldrainer

You know what the real kicker is?  They could have relseased ESO as an expansion to Skyrim and rocked everybody's world.  In fact, some players are doing that right now!

yup.

The could have provided for a fee server space, repopulated the Morrowind area of the map with models. Then players could upload their world and have a few hunderd people in their Skyrim instance and everyone would be stunned.

• iceman00iceman00 Member Posts: 1,363

Originally posted by Zylaxx

Originally posted by Darth-Ninja

I know alot of others agree with you but I honestly hate the way TES does its combat.  Theres something awfully boring about left clicking your mouse button a million times.  I might be in the minority but I love hotbar tab targetting combat because it allows the players almost unlimited freedom in having combat skills.  I look at it like this, you can have 1 combat ability (left mouse click) or 12+ abilities (like in WoW).

The mechanics behind their swordplay have improved from Morrowind.  That doesn't change the fact it is still pretty imprecise.  I find their archery mechanics a bit more satisfying, even if it takes a little bit of getting used to establishing range properly.

• sonoggisonoggi Member Posts: 1,119

i dont really care about anyone's impressions regarding this game. there isnt enough information out to make an educated decision about it. people are either flaming or seeking attention.

if they pull off decent 3-faction PVP with a traditional combat system, then the game will be a success in some respects.

• Sora2810Sora2810 Member Posts: 567

What's sad is that it is possible for an ES experience in MMO form. Look up Mortal Online or Darkfall. Mortal's more like it though.

Played - M59, EQOA, EQ, EQ2, PS, SWG[Favorite], DAoC, UO, RS, MXO, CoH/CoV, TR, FFXI, FoM, WoW, Eve, Rift, SWTOR, TSW.
    Playing - PS2, AoW, GW2

• OberholzerOberholzer Member Posts: 498

Originally posted by sonoggi

i dont really care about anyone's impressions regarding this game. there isnt enough information out to make an educated decision about it. people are either flaming or seeking attention.

if they pull off decent 3-faction PVP with a traditional combat system, then the game will be a success in some respects.

On this site really all people need is for a game to be announced for them to feverently love it or hate it. Sad but true.

• gothagotha Member UncommonPosts: 1,074

Does anyone else seeing the Irony of someone playing a turn based combat system talking about how the current hotkey combat system is going to die away?

Originally posted by gotha

Does anyone else seeing the Irony of someone playing a turn based combat system talking about how the current hotkey combat system is going to die away?

chess is turned based, checkers is turned based, traditional pen and paper RPG is turned based, Slient Storm is turned based.

Not an MMO.

Originally posted by SEANMCAD

chess is turned based, checkers is turned based, traditional pen and paper RPG is turned based, Slient Storm is turned based.

Not an MMO.

I did not say MMOs have turned based combat systems,  learn to read.  His comments about MMOs combat being dead is just not true.  His history is even incorrect.   MMO combat did not come about due to latency restrictions,  it came about due to it growing from traditional RPG combat (like you see in neverwinter,  saw in dragon age 1 and slightly 2,  baldurs gate).  Merdian actually had combat similar to what he wants for elder scrolls and that came out in 1995.

I am pretty sure you will continue to see big budget hot key MMOs.  Rift has been success,  and swtor while not being the second WoW has done decently.  You also already have  a few big budget hotkey MMOs in the pipelines and i am pretty sure more will come.

You will continue to see growth of action oriented MMOs,  and the hot key MMOs will likely not grow much further but they will continue to excist and be made.

Not an MMO.

I did not say MMOs have turned based combat systems,  learn to read.  His comments about MMOs combat being dead is just not true.  His history is even incorrect.   MMO combat did not come about due to latency restrictions,  it came about due to it growing from traditional RPG combat (like you see in neverwinter,  saw in dragon age 1 and slightly 2,  baldurs gate).  Merdian actually had combat similar to what he wants for elder scrolls and that came out in 1995.

I am pretty sure you will continue to see big budget hot key MMOs.  Rift has been success,  and swtor while not being the second WoW has done decently.  You also already have  a few big budget hotkey MMOs in the pipelines and i am pretty sure more will come.

You will continue to see growth of action oriented MMOs,  and the hot key MMOs will likely not grow much further but they will continue to excist and be made.

I am completely and totally confused at the moment.

TES Online is going to be turned based like REAL turn based like chess, D&D etc. Reason I ask is because some people now have been calling tab targetings 'turned based' which p*sses me off and it causes a lot of confusion

• jtcgsjtcgs Member Posts: 1,777

I hate you for pointing out that there is something that jackass and I agree with...yes, I called him a jackass...anyone that dares to state that someone is playing an MMORPG the wrong way and that only his way of playing is the right way is a total jackass...even more so for doing it over many posts on his own Youtube video.

I mean seriously...arguing with people, not one person, but many over the right way to play on a video thread.

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

• FangrimFangrim Member UncommonPosts: 616

Why would you want to play Skyrim as it is as an MMORPG? Its made for single player and there isn't enough to do with other players.People need to get it out of thier heads that any ESO game is going to be anything at all gamewise to any of thier single player games,it just wouldn't work.

• IstavaanIstavaan Member Posts: 1,350

Originally posted by Varking

^ this

the scary thing is most people form their opinions from other people.

Originally posted by Fangrim

Why would you want to play Skyrim as it is as an MMORPG? Its made for single player and there isn't enough to do with other players.People need to get it out of thier heads that any ESO game is going to be anything at all gamewise to any of thier single player games,it just wouldn't work.

TES Online players DO NOT play TES games because its single player.

we play because its an open world, skill based, create your own path, not quest dependent.

we would love to do it with other people but there really are very few MMO's that have the features we are looking for in this respect.

I fail to understand why anyone would think the game being single player has anything at all whatsoever to do with the issue.

its like saying 'no I would never want to play simcity with others, its a single player game'

Because all the content is single player,all the mobs are for single player.Everyone can get 100 points in every skill so everyone would be exactly the same in time.

Edit: This is an opportunity to add to The Elder Scrolls with an MMO,so you can play with  other players.I don't want it to be anything at all like the combat in ES single player games.It needs a total overhaul to be an MMO.I have played and finished all TES single player games and thier expansions.I just don't want to play a single player ES game masquerading as an MMO.

• jtcgsjtcgs Member Posts: 1,777

Because all the content is single player,all the mobs are for single player.Everyone can get 100 points in every skill so everyone would be exactly the same in time.

Speak for yourself. I play TES games because of the amazing Mod community that vastly expands the game...and my Skyrim is modded with the multi-player mod and the mods created for it vastly increasing the power of quest mobs, added boss mobs for multiple players.

You, like the parent company of Bethesda are far removed from the majority of TES consumers...yes, I said you are removed...the mod community makes up the majority of TES players. That is why Bethesda worked with Steam and the mod community leaders to create a mod shop for Skyrims release.

The most popular mods top over 500,000 unique downloads...and have done so going back to Marrowind.

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

• PyrateLVPyrateLV Member CommonPosts: 1,096

Edit: This is an opportunity to add to The Elder Scrolls with an MMO,so you can play with  other players.I don't want it to be anything at all like the combat in ES single player games.It needs a total overhaul to be an MMO.I have played and finished all TES single player games and thier expansions.I just don't want to play a single player ES game masquerading as an MMO.

So you will be happier playing a over-used, boring Themepark Clone MMO masquerading as an Elder Scrolls game?

Cuz thats what you are going to get.

Look at the fail that is SWTOR. It tried to be a Themepark Clone first and a Star Wars game second.

Tried: EQ2 - AC - EU - HZ - TR - MxO - TTO - WURM - SL - VG:SoH - PotBS - PS - AoC - WAR - DDO - SWTOR
    Played: UO - EQ1 - AO - DAoC - NC - CoH/CoV - SWG - WoW - EVE - AA - LotRO - DFO - STO - FE - MO - RIFT
    Playing: Skyrim
    Following: The Repopulation
    I want a Virtual World, not just a Game.
    ITS TOO HARD! - Matt Firor (ZeniMax)

Originally posted by PyrateLV

So you will be happier playing a over-used, boring Themepark Clone MMO masquerading as an Elder Scrolls game?

Cuz thats what you are going to get.

Look at the fail that is SWTOR. It tried to be a Themepark Clone first and a Star Wars game second.

No I don't.I want a game where there are quests like a themepark if you will but not in a linear path so similar to TES single player games but I don't want dumb ! above peoples heads or arrows pointing me where to go.I want to interact with NPC's to find quests depending on what you say back to them.

I would also like complete  player run economy with crafters,gatherers etcetera being needed and useful.I want people to be able to build things in the world,wether this is like a pvp zone where things can be built and destroyed/defended or an instanced place where you can go and build your own house or guild town for guilds ofc but they can't be destroyed,a safeplace if you want but also they can be visited.Why not both systems?

I don't want a crafting system where you gather 100 copper ore and turn it into 50 copper bars and those bars become 25 copper daggers all with a few button clicks.I want options in combat not just left/right mouse clicking.I also have absolutly no problem with the so called 'trinity' system.I want indepth character design and customisation so everyone isn't the same.If your good at what you do tanking,dps,healing,crowd control or a mix then your wanted.

Not an MMO.

I am completely and totally confused at the moment.

TES Online is going to be turned based like REAL turn based like chess, D&D etc. Reason I ask is because some people now have been calling tab targetings 'turned based' which p*sses me off and it causes a lot of confusion

ok sorry for the snark comment.  No i do not think Tab targeting is turn based.  I just thought it was funny he was playing a turned based game,  while saying tab targeting is dying out.  If tab targeting is dying why the hell would turned based games still be around,  they are  a far more archiac and boring under his definition of a combat system.

There is just some irony in saying that an old style of combat is dying off because its slow and boring,  while at the same time you are playing a game with an older and slower style of combat.