Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

Ten things Elder Scrolls Online must do

MephsterMephster Tyria, NJPosts: 1,188Member

Grim Dawn, the next great action rpg!

http://www.grimdawn.com/

Comments

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Houston, TXPosts: 5,348Member

Originally posted by Mephster

Thoughts ? Enjoy the read!

Source: http://www.incgamers.com/Features/514/ten-things-elder-scrolls-online-must-do

first two I TOTALLY disagree with.

it doesnt have to be free to play and it doesnt have to focus on single player aspects which most mmo's do anyway.

Correlation does not imply causation

• MephsterMephster Tyria, NJPosts: 1,188Member

Well my thoughts are this. If you can't provide players with a true Elder Scrolls experience then don't make it. They are just fooling themselves and hurting fans in the process.

Grim Dawn, the next great action rpg!

http://www.grimdawn.com/

• ThraliaThralia EngerPosts: 219Member

i honestly disagree with most of them.

i dont need first person view if im not fighting activly liek in morrowin,oblivion,skyrim.

i dont want it to be free 2 play either.

• DistopiaDistopia Baltimore, MDPosts: 16,915Member Uncommon

AFter actually reading the GI article I like what I hear in terms of an MMO. Might not be a TES game we recognize but as far as the MMO goes, it has quite a few things I've been wanting to see.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

It is a sign of a defeated man, to attack at ones character in the face of logic and reason- Me

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Arkham, VAPosts: 10,910Member

In all the time I've been posting on these forums, one of the things that has remained a constant is this. Before a game releases there are posts detailing what needs to change for a game to succeed. After a game releases, there are angry posts because the games released with the feature set they said they would release with, and not the feature sets listed in the 'must change' posts. There's no reason to think TESO will be any different. They've given their initial feature set, what will be there and what won't. There's no reason to think the game won't follow the exact same behavior as more or less every other MMORPG. Big initial release with lots of subs, followed by a loss of subs over a period of time until it closes.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• SoulOfRazielSoulOfRaziel Porto FerreiraPosts: 405Member Uncommon

Originally posted by Mephster

Thoughts ? Enjoy the read!

Source: http://www.incgamers.com/Features/514/ten-things-elder-scrolls-online-must-do

U forgot about one BIG thing !! TESO must NOT have a static combat....

Originally posted by Thralia

i dont need first person view if im not fighting activly liek in morrowin,oblivion,skyrim.

I TOTALLY need first person view. That said, TES series does a very good job of making it optional. Playing either way works well.

For me 3rd person view is a huge negitive. Its not always a deal breaker but its often very close.

• ThraliaThralia EngerPosts: 219Member

Originally posted by SEANMCAD

I TOTALLY need first person view. That said, TES series does a very good job of making it optional. Playing either way works well.

For me 3rd person view is a huge negitive. Its not always a deal breaker but its often very close.

i would totaly need first person view IF they would actually use the combat system from SKYRIm wher eu have to block n  smash ur weapon in peoples faces and cast magic with aiming YOURSELF. but they said they not gonna do that so what exactly do i need first person view then for?

Originally posted by SEANMCAD

i would totaly need first person view IF they would actually use the combat system from SKYRIm wher eu have to block n  smash ur weapon in peoples faces and cast magic with aiming YOURSELF. but they said they not gonna do that so what exactly do i need first person view then for?

you dont 'need' it. It just makes the entire experience (at least for me) far more real  and far less distracting. Regardless of if its FPS combat or tab targeting looking at someones back all day is helaa distracting to me.

• rygard49rygard49 Huntington Beach, CAPosts: 975Member

Article was pretty 'meh' for me. It shouldn't focus on single player aspects just for the sake of the original series of games. It's an MMO, and should focus instead on the multiplayer stuff I've always dreamed of doing in an Elder Scrolls world.

Most of the other 'requirements' are just standard things that all MMOs should do. Meaningful decisions, fleshed out dialogue, mutiple ways to level.... fixing bugs? Isn't fixing bugs job one for any game?

I do agree with making it a political game, that was definitely a big part of the single player series.

• SouldrainerSouldrainer Elmer, NJPosts: 1,857Member

Originally posted by rygard49

Article was pretty 'meh' for me. It shouldn't focus on single player aspects just for the sake of the original series of games. It's an MMO, and should focus instead on the multiplayer stuff I've always dreamed of doing in an Elder Scrolls world.

Most of the other 'requirements' are just standard things that all MMOs should do. Meaningful decisions, fleshed out dialogue, mutiple ways to level.... fixing bugs? Isn't fixing bugs job one for any game?

I do agree with making it a political game, that was definitely a big part of the single player series.

Agreement.

Error: 37. Signature not found. Please connect to my server for signature access.

• MikeJTMikeJT BrisbanePosts: 83Member

The last point about being political is one that I particularly agree with. The ability for players to rise to positions of power within the game world is extremely important for a sandbox MMORPG. Whilst most mainstream theme-park MMO's fail to capitalise on this point, I think the Elder Scrolls universe lends itself particularly well to political gameplay.

Of course, I doubt this game is going to be much of a sandbox and doubt even more that they'll actually introduce content as dynamic as that.

Meaningful decisions...

Most modern MMORPG's are severely lacking in meaningful decisions. Very rarely does a player actions actually influence the game world as a whole.

If truly meaningful decisions is something they could achieve in TESO (or any MMO for that matter), then I'm pretty sure you would see people flocking to that game in droves.

• Ambros123Ambros123 Neverneverland, TNPosts: 877Member

Originally posted by MikeJT

Meaningful decisions...

Most modern MMORPG's are severely lacking in meaningful decisions. Very rarely does a player actions actually influence the game world as a whole.

If truly meaningful decisions is something they could achieve in TESO (or any MMO for that matter), then I'm pretty sure you would see people flocking to that game in droves.

This is pretty much a very hard mechanic to achieve, imo this concept belongs more in a single play game than an MMO.  There are few exceptions, how EVE handles player driven content is about the only way player decisions can impact the world.

People scream about meaningful decisions but really you can't have this concept like how everyone expcected in SWTOR.  Sure have decisions that impact how you go about a quest and what not but for impacting the world... not gonna happen.

• Sora2810Sora2810 New Columbia, PAPosts: 567Member

I agree I think ESO should be F2P. If they aren't going to give me the experience I wanted to pay for; I'd ease up a lot if it was F2P.

Played - M59, EQOA, EQ, EQ2, PS, SWG[Favorite], DAoC, UO, RS, MXO, CoH/CoV, TR, FFXI, FoM, WoW, Eve, Rift, SWTOR, TSW.
    Playing - PS2, AoW, GW2

• Ambros123Ambros123 Neverneverland, TNPosts: 877Member

So someone who really has no ideal on how the game mechanics will be or what the company designs are decided they are empowered to get on theior soap box and chime in their vision?  Completely worthless article and a waste of time.  Reminds me of Neverwinter forums where advocates of DDO are preaching their desing ideals which all they are doing is copying DDO which has some horrible mechanics.

Well I suppose this is a common trend, people preaching when they should jsut STFU and wait for the details of the game.

Originally posted by Ambros123

Meaningful decisions...

This is pretty much a very hard mechanic to achieve, imo this concept belongs more in a single play game than an MMO.  There are few exceptions, how EVE handles player driven content is about the only way player decisions can impact the world.

People scream about meaningful decisions but really you can't have this concept like how everyone expcected in SWTOR.  Sure have decisions that impact how you go about a quest and what not but for impacting the world... not gonna happen.

That's a very defeatist mentality.

One of my favourite quotes is "Things are only impossible until they're not."

The reason why most developers would probably agree with you is that in most games, when the player makes a decision which impacts the game world, the game loads up Scenario A, B or C depending on the players choice, and just like magic the whole world changes due to the players decision.

Making player decisions meaningful in an MMO context would require a highly dynamic system of AI which factors in the actions and decisions of all players affecting that AI. And of course, when a player effects one AI, the behaviour of that AI changes which affects the behaviour of other AI, which creates a constant knock on effect until all AI have been effected and a new status quo is reached.

Of course, small decisions have very little effects (possibly effecting only one or two AI units) whereas big decisions can effect broad areas. For example, raiding a large NPC iron mining operation, slaughtering all the miners, stealing all the ore, then burning out the support structures in the mine so there's a cave in, would drive the price of iron and iron-based products up all over the region. It would also increase the cost of substitutes, as the increased price of iron might drive more people to purchase other metals.

Creating a system of AI robust enough to be able to handle rapid and violent change is the main challenge in delivering meaningful player decisions, and the processing power is the primary requirement.

Difficult to implement? It probably is. Impossible in an MMO context? Not at all.

Originally posted by Ambros123

Meaningful decisions...

That's a very defeatist mentality.

One of my favourite quotes is "Things are only impossible until they're not."

The reason why most developers would probably agree with you is that in most games, when the player makes a decision which impacts the game world, the game loads up Scenario A, B or C depending on the players choice, and just like magic the whole world changes due to the players decision.

Making player decisions meaningful in an MMO context would require a highly dynamic system of AI which factors in the actions and decisions of all players affecting that AI. And of course, when a player effects one AI, the behaviour of that AI changes which affects the behaviour of other AI, which creates a constant knock on effect until all AI have been effected and a new status quo is reached.

Of course, small decisions have very little effects (possibly effecting only one or two AI units) whereas big decisions can effect broad areas. For example, raiding a large NPC iron mining operation, slaughtering all the miners, stealing all the ore, then burning out the support structures in the mine so there's a cave in, would drive the price of iron and iron-based products up all over the region. It would also increase the cost of substitutes, as the increased price of iron might drive more people to purchase other metals.

Creating a system of AI robust enough to be able to handle rapid and violent change is the main challenge in delivering meaningful player decisions, and the processing power is the primary requirement.

Difficult to implement? It probably is. Impossible in an MMO context? Not at all.

if you are hyperian and take over most of the known world and all the other clans work together to defeat you including sending in spys not only does your story get published here at MMORPG but it also affects the gaming world and requires ZERO code to do so.

let players create their own stories by creating their own clans

• jtcgsjtcgs New Port Richey, ILPosts: 1,777Member

Look, if its anything less than a TES game that just so happens to offer online capability...I dont want it.

Dont bastardize something I love because they dont feel like they can make an MMO stand on its own merits.

TES is not just a story and a world. There are too many aspects of the series that CANNOT be brought into an MMORPG and thus there is no chance in hell they can meet the expectations of most of the fans of the series...so who is this game really for?

How many changes can you make of a thing before it is no longer that thing?

Worse yet, what if they did just that and made a TES game mask an MMORPG...SWTOR anyone?

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

Originally posted by jtcgs

There are too many aspects of the series that CANNOT be brought into an MMORPG...

Like?

A lot of people have made these assertions without actually offering examples.

• EntinerintEntinerint brooklyn, NYPosts: 843Member Uncommon
    There are ABSOLUTELY NO aspects of the series that CANNOT be brought into an MMORPG

Fixed it for you.

Name any major feature that TES has and I will show you an MMO that does it too.

Originally posted by Entinerint
    There are ABSOLUTELY NO aspects of the series that CANNOT be brought into an MMORPG

Fixed it for you.

Name any major feature that TES has and I will show you an MMO that does it too.

Agreed...much better. Must have been a typo orginally

• PyrateLVPyrateLV Las Vegas, NVPosts: 1,096Member Common

Personally the " Flesh out the dialogue system" doesnt matter to me.

I dont really care if NPCs talk to me. A chat bubble or a text box works just fine.

Seriously, when reading becomes too much of a hinderence its time to stop playing.

Besides, I can read faster than most NPC dialog takes. Especially when the NPC drones on and on about nothing. Get To The Point!

Tried: EQ2 - AC - EU - HZ - TR - MxO - TTO - WURM - SL - VG:SoH - PotBS - PS - AoC - WAR - DDO - SWTOR
    Played: UO - EQ1 - AO - DAoC - NC - CoH/CoV - SWG - WoW - EVE - AA - LotRO - DFO - STO - FE - MO - RIFT
    Playing: Skyrim
    Following: The Repopulation
    I want a Virtual World, not just a Game.
    ITS TOO HARD! - Matt Firor (ZeniMax)

• ShakyMoShakyMo BradfordPosts: 7,207Member
    It has to have a world that is big and you can just wander off and find stuff
    It has to have smarter than normal mmo ai
    It has to have the guilds
    It has to have a darkness too it
    It has to avoid namechecks, memes and POP culture
    It has to give you a lot of freedom in how you progress your character
    It has to have involved crafting and soul gems