Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

3 faction cross shard pvp confirmed

WarbsWarbs Member Posts: 245

Three faction PvP and the essence of open world combat will soon storm upon the shores of the Public Test Shard!

Welcome to Conquest – choose your side and square off in a no-holds-barred, interdimensional battle royal on Thursday, 5/17 @ 4:00PM PDT (11:00PM GMT). This is the first massive test of this brand new feature!

Conquest at a Glance

• Engage in massive, cross-shard battles capturing the excitement of Open World PvP at its best!

• Align with one of three factions, the biggest difference is their philosophy. (You will be able to change factions.)

• Earn rewards and bonuses for your team – or supercharge yourself with bonuses that can be used outside of Conquest!

• Everyone can contribute – crafters play a vital role in every Conquest battle.

• This is a brand new feature, details and specifics will likely change based on your feedback and play tests. For the latest info keep an eye on the PTS Forums!

Three Factions From Beyond the Ward

As the Bloodstorm’s onslaught continues to weaken the Ward an ageless feud has breached the divide between worlds and now embattles our own!

Beyond the Ward stretch infinite versions of Telara – each with their own fate and heroes and from the void between them three factions have formed. Their conflict is concerned not with the Vigil or technology, it is to answer one basic question:

What is the role of the Ascended in the cosmos?

To rule, to protect, or continue to ascend.

You must choose your path, Ascended: Are you a Ram, guarding the flock under your iron grip? Do you protect your pride, your virtue gold as the Lion’s mane, keeping the helpless from harm? Or do you soar like a Raven into the twilight – cleansing all corruption in your wake across universe, whatever the cost?

Conquest – Capturing the Essence of Open World PvP

Not all Telaras were created equal – and some slivers of our world may control the fate of all.

This is a game about domination. Set in the windworn foothills of Stillmoor, the familiar landscape has been transformed with control points and sourcestone powered fortifications as Ascended banners billow under the blood-red sun.

• Pitted against two additional competing teams you must wrest control of as many Sourcestone Extractors as possible while preventing your opponents from doing the same.

• These control points open access to buffs and resources to your team which provide a wide variety of benefits in addition to unlocking additional buffs and abilities you earn by contributing to your factions cause.

• You won’t find gated doors in Conquest – your battle is on the field, not in a cozy castle! However, Caer Mathos (cleansed of its Endless occupants) now holds strategic importance for all three forces.

• The match ends when a single team has claimed 40% of the control points or 5,000 players are killed – once this happens a 10 minute timer will start, this is your chance to make a last grab for control – after which you’ll earn your rewards!

• Conquest offers yet another way to augment your gameplay and characters and there’s something for everyone. Even crafters play a vital role by refining the battlefield resources into upgrades and even more perks – you’ll find new recipes available at your crafting trainer!

Choose your Destiny: To Rule, to Protect, or Ascend Onwards

Dominion – The Ram

The Blood Storm has won victories because Telara is weak. Fractious, bickering towns without proper defenses make easy prey for the Dragons and their cults. Without strong leadership, Telara fell to the planes in every sliver of reality they invaded. Only the Ascended have the strength to unite the world, to unite the cosmos!

Members of the Dominion envision an empire ruled by the Ascended to protect mortals from the elemental horrors. A united Ascended empire can stand together to broker peace… and if peace is refused, the Dominion would be better able to wage war than the rag-tag adventuring bands of the past.

The Dominion views Nightfall as a deluded cult of sorcerers and cowards, and would be more than happy to send them on to the Soul Stream. The Oathsworn are meddlers and anarchists, who give lip service to freedom and protection, but would lose the war to win inconsequential battles. The Dominion welcome all Ascended to share the burden of rule, but those who refuse their burden must be eliminated.

The sigil of the Dominion is the regal Ram, who leads and defends his flock, guarding them from a savage world.

Oathsworn – The Lion

Since the Age of Dragons, Telara has relied upon her protectors. First, mortal heroes rose to imprison the dragons and construct the Ward that safeguarded the world for centuries. Today, the Ascended quest tirelessly to slay the Blood Storm themselves. This is the legacy of service that the Oathsworn adhere to. They are the protectors of creation, and the discovery of the many slivers of Telara only strengthens their resolve.

The Oathsworn have been given a gift. Either by divine will or advanced technology, they were brought back to the world with incredible power to fulfill a great purpose. The Ascended have saved the world time and time again from the danger of the planes. As the Ascended conquer the cults and the dragons, they must unite and prepare for the next great threat.

The Oathsworn believe that the Ascended should guard Telara from all threats from the planes and beyond, and now from the powerful Ascended of the slivers. Those who would squander this gift for selfish ends and no better than the cults, will share the cultists’ fate. Those who follow the path of Nightfall would abandon the world and are thus no better than the demons they emulate. The Oathsworn see the Dominion as nothing but petty tyrants, subjugating those very mortals they were created to serve.

Oathsworn identify with the Lion: the steadfast soldier and selfless protector.

Nightfall – The Raven

What is the purpose of Ascension? Are these mighty immortals merely the glorified city guard for one tiny world? Should such beings retire to a simple life after slaying godlike dragons? Or were they meant for more? Returning from the dead with phenomenal power was surely but the first step on the Ascended journey!

Nightfall believes that the Ascended share ultimate purpose beyond protecting Telara from dragons, monsters, and cultists. The next step along the journey of Ascension is to leave this world for more cosmic realms, before it’s too late. For as power of the Ascended grows, only the might of the other Ascended can oppose them, and such a conflict would destroy any inhabited reality. Thus, all Ascended should leave Telara for good and journey into the planes to seek their ultimate purpose. Nightfall hopes this departure will be voluntary, but they will send dissenters to the River of Souls rather than allow their presence to further contaminate Telara.

The Oathsworn may think their vigilance helps the mortals, but with every act, they endanger the world. If they would only listen to reason and ascend from this plane of existence, they would find victory over the elements, because they were the greatest threat all along. The Dominion is no better than the cults, imposing Ascended rule as if they were divine kings. And like the cults, they must be destroyed.

Nightfall’s symbol is the Raven, a wise bird of secrets and powerful truths.

Comments

• PuremallacePuremallace Member Posts: 1,856

I just came......

• WarbsWarbs Member Posts: 245

i be all giddy for this!

Originally posted by Warbs

i be all giddy for this!

I can not believe they are doing this without a expansion.

• ComafComaf Member UncommonPosts: 1,150

You won’t find gated doors in Conquest – your battle is on the field, not in a cozy castle! However, Caer Mathos (cleansed of its Endless occupants) now holds strategic importance for all three forces....

Seriously? Did not one of these guys read a single history book?  Where is the siege warfare???  Three factions for a BG, taken from the same races and classes they have now - and no catapults? :(

Still, a nice step forward for them.  I won't sub yet - neither will my 20 some gaming friends lol.  Time will tell though.

• KhinRuniteKhinRunite Member Posts: 879

Hats off to Trion. The amount of work they're puting in their game is amazing.

Originally posted by Comaf

Seriously? Did not one of these guys read a single history book?  Where is the siege warfare???  Three factions for a BG, taken from the same races and classes they have now - and no catapults? :(

Still, a nice step forward for them.  I won't sub yet - neither will my 20 some gaming friends lol.  Time will tell though.

"crafters will play a crucial role"

• NevulusNevulus Member UncommonPosts: 1,288

I know you cant please everyone all the time, but let's give these guys some credit & a round of applause for putting in this amount of work and variety without forcing it down their playbase with an expansion and charging the, $49.99

I don't play Rift, I was busy with work and missed the leveling train, but I am always happy to see a company come thru for its playerbase without ($_$) in their eyes. They are actually listening and watching whats going on in the MMO genre and attempting to stay relevant. 

Bravo!

• Soki123Soki123 Member RarePosts: 2,558

Am I understanding this right. It s shard vs shard vs shard? Or you re choosing a faction to join for the battles? Ie, Defiant vs guardian means nothing in these? Is it wntergrasp like? Lol, I m so confused but I have my interest peaked.

Originally posted by Soki123

Am I understanding this right. It s shard vs shard vs shard? Or you re choosing a faction to join for the battles? Ie, Defiant vs guardian means nothing in these? Is it wntergrasp like? Lol, I m so confused but I have my interest peaked.

Take Wintergrasp. Add another faction. Then add in player craft [waiting on this], then add in rewards for the faction that wins.

Originally posted by Puremallace

Originally posted by Soki123

Take Wintergrasp. Add another faction. Then add in player craft [waiting on this], then add in rewards for the faction that wins.

Sounds cool, but is it like a faction you join, and are always in that faction. So I could be a defiant , in the fluffy realm, and my guildie is a defiant in the anti fluffy faction? Hehe, sorry for being a pain , I just love 3 faction pvp, and love rift more each day. This is a dream come true for me.

Video on it here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TaKuS3wznLo share it around spread the word! :D

You are still a defiant or Guardian, then this is a faction you choose seperatley for 3 faction PvP

Originally posted by Warbs

Video on it here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TaKuS3wznLo share it around spread the word! :D

You are still a defiant or Guardian, then this is a faction you choose seperatley for 3 faction PvP

Ya, I read more into it, very cool system. I m liking what I ve seen.

This would explain why when I asked Elrar on the pts about Ilum he laughed pretty hard and said they made a lot of mistakes and if Trion did it they would do it right.

This would explain why when I asked Elrar on the pts about Ilum he laughed pretty hard and said they made a lot of mistakes and if Trion did it they would do it right.

Hopefully cant wait to get testing on Thursday!

• GhabboGhabbo Member UncommonPosts: 263

Wow, didn't see this coming image... Cool news indeed.

I'll keep an eye on this and if it works... I'm officially back to Rift (only play 3 month after launch). Standing ovation for these guys image

• UhwopUhwop Member UncommonPosts: 1,791

This is nice. 

It would be nicer if the faction you side with had an impact on pvp on the actual server you play on.   

You still earn some form of buffs you take out into the game world with you how i'm not sure but ill be covering it on my channel as soon as the features up on the PTS.

• teakboisteakbois Member Posts: 2,154

So it looked like Rift would cater to solo/duoers with Chronicles.  But they have barely added to it since launch

Wth hammerknell it looked like Rift might cater to hardcore raiders.  But after 10 months there has only been one 8 boss raid added since.

With Master Mode dungeons perhaps they were catering to people looking for group challenges?  8 months later they have only added one more.

Now they are trying to cater to people who want three faction PvP, but (and gw2 will have to answer the same question) will 3 faction PvP have the same thrill with it being meaningless AND having the three sides have the same races/classes?  And after its launch they will probably mostly ignore it anyway.

Trion seems to have no idea what they want Rift to be, only that they don't care at all about immersion with whatever features they add.

Originally posted by teakbois

So it looked like Rift would cater to solo/duoers with Chronicles.  But they have barely added to it since launch

Wth hammerknell it looked like Rift might cater to hardcore raiders.  But after 10 months there has only been one 8 boss raid added since.

With Master Mode dungeons perhaps they were catering to people looking for group challenges?  8 months later they have only added one more.

Now they are trying to cater to people who want three faction PvP, but (and gw2 will have to answer the same question) will 3 faction PvP have the same thrill with it being meaningless AND having the three sides have the same races/classes?  And after its launch they will probably mostly ignore it anyway.

Trion seems to have no idea what they want Rift to be, only that they don't care at all about immersion with whatever features they add.

WoW catered to raiders ONLY for 7 years straight

Guild Wars has catered to pvp'rs ONLY for 6+ years. GW2 will ONLY cater to pvp'rs again.

My god could it be possible that Trion realizes there are different types of people playing their game.

• ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574

Blatant attempt at copying another feature Trion wouldnt know the first hint of innovating themselves.  Passed o nthis game 1 month after release and will continue to pass.

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

• teakboisteakbois Member Posts: 2,154

WoW catered to raiders ONLY for 7 years straight

Guild Wars has catered to pvp'rs ONLY for 6+ years. GW2 will ONLY cater to pvp'rs again.

Wait, i thought WoW catered to children?  But now its ONLY to raiders?  Do you mean children raiders?  I guess the pokemon game is another form of raiding?  Who knew arena and rated BGs were raiding also.

And those three Guild Wars expansions that each had significantly more landmass than Rift for PvErs only were only for the sake of PvPers.  That whole hall of monuments thing or the GWAMM title is obviously just PvP content too.

Rift is catering to people with short attention spans who don't care about immersion at this point.  Then agan, that is a large portion of the MMO player base.

• SilentstormSilentstorm Member UncommonPosts: 1,126

You actually listen to pure he is a total rift fan boy. Somehow he slinked his way onto my server i blow him up everytime he starts the fan boy whine....

That aside its a welcome addition to rift nothing wrong with a game giving you multiple things to do. It's almost laughable people are even complaining a company would dare do that. If you want to be bored linear and constricted. Play X game thats free to play out there that does that. Only about 1 million clones of them pick one go be happy. 

I will play rift and GW2 because both give you plenty to do. Also pure hasnt beta's GW2 because if he did. He wouldnt make a monkey out of himself saying gw2 caters to pvper's. It clearly the minute you play it shows up just how much pve/story/exploring is a focal point now. Stuff like this is why you shouldnt just believe everything people say. They talk just to talk regardless of if they know ANY facts.

• UtukuMoonUtukuMoon Member Posts: 1,066

Originally posted by Zylaxx

Blatant attempt at copying another feature Trion wouldnt know the first hint of innovating themselves.  Passed o nthis game 1 month after release and will continue to pass.

Although i didn't like RIFT,how is them copying this feature different that ArenaNet copying DAOC RvR,even ArenaNet devs say as much.

Don't make fans of GW2 look like asshats please.If you cant handle another dev team taking inspiration from ArenaNet then go figure.

ArenaNet have no problem with it,they understand that MMO devs take features from other MMOs,it's the norm.

They never made you their defender.image

• PivotelitePivotelite Member UncommonPosts: 2,145

Good job on Rift and the developers over at Trion, I think charging for expansions is robbery and it's a reason I stopped supporting Blizzard, I will never play WoW again. They also charge you an arm and a leg for anything from gender change, to cosmetic mounts or server transfer. 

Trion earns a lot of respect from me for developing content from the money generated by the sub fee, the way subscription MMOs were supposed to be and should be.

Originally posted by Zylaxx

Maybe so...good bit is it will be out on Rifts live servers before GW2 is released..have some time to test it out wont you