Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Secret World: Illuminati Preview

MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555

This week, we have had the opportunity to get our collective grubby hands on Funcom's The Secret World. This morning we've got a look at everyone's favorite power hungry faction: The Illuminati. Check it out and then leave us your thoughts in the comments.

When Funcom announced the three factions for The Secret World (Illuminati, Templars, and Dragon) I immediately knew I wanted to play the Illuminati. Not because they had cool outfits with gas masks and such, but for an even more simple reason: the Illuminati are based in my home town of New York! Gotta represent, right?

Read more of Michael Bitton's The Secret World: Illuminati Preview.

Comments

• ArawulfArawulf Guest WriterMember UncommonPosts: 597

Thanks for sharing.  I was curious about that faction since I could only make a templar.

• MoodsorMoodsor Member UncommonPosts: 712

Damn them for not allowing Dragon, I cant wait to see my launch faction in action!

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

I don't understand how the posters videos are not NDA breaking.....NDA was lifted for last weekend, for the content on showcase. Illuminati content comes under new content still under closed beta nda...

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• askdabossaskdaboss Member UncommonPosts: 631

Originally posted by Nitth

I don't understand how the posters videos are not NDA breaking.....NDA was lifted for last weekend, for the content on showcase. Illuminati content comes under new content still under closed beta nda...

Probably because 95% of it is exactly the same content as the beta weekend for templars (Except for the bits involving the illuminati specifically, but I think it doesn't really matter that much - they don't reveal too much).

• aikatearsaikatears Member UncommonPosts: 33

press got two factions client, dragon was blocked from what i have seen

• warlord2020warlord2020 Member UncommonPosts: 5

Didn't they already post the first 30 minutes of the Dragon gameplay a couple of weeks ago?  Somone probably has a link.

• Mors.MagneMors.Magne Member UncommonPosts: 1,549

Originally posted by Nitth

NDAs are used for real test betas. Betas without NDAs are 'marketing betas'.

• MahavishnuMahavishnu Member Posts: 336

This looks very disappointing :(

1. The world ist dead and boring. Nothing to interact with, just go ahead and...

2. ... follow the arrow. It is completely linear, there is nothing to explore and a lot of zoning.

3. The NPCs are looking lifeless, you cannot interact with them, they just stand around.

4. I have no clue what they are going to release next month. But I will definitely to buy it.

Advertising has us chasing cars and clothes, working jobs we hate so we can buy shit we don't need.

• JaedorJaedor Member UncommonPosts: 1,173

Hmm. I was hoping each faction went somewhere different for the lowbie area but I guess not.

Truly no need for alts if the only difference is the intro.

• BarCrowBarCrow Member UncommonPosts: 2,195

I like the gameplay but Funcom has done some lazy ass work wih TSW. So basically...the only thing different about Factions is the faction lore and the hub city in which you collect the lore markers.. Oh and the Faction names and initial NPC contacts. Other than that..you dream the same..live in the same apartment...do the same Tokyo tutorial. Go to hub city and do the same thing with the only difference being the names and appearances of the npcs. Then all aboard to Kingsmouth..etc...etc..etc. All skills are the same per faction.  Lazy design...I'm a little upset. I'll play...but will not likely re-play. Especially once I know all the puzzles from the first go around.

At the least all the existing skills are fine..but add one set of skills on the wheel that are different per faction. Maybe 3 sets of martial arts for Dragon. 3 sets of techno abilities for Illuminati and 3 sets of Holy/DIvine/(maybe even Infernal) abilitys for Templars. Just as examples.

I know w/o a skill cap and limited active/passive skills (7each) on toolbars that there can be many combos and loadout possibilities..but there really should be some skills special to factions.

Oh well...I guess I'll wait some more and hope they add some in the future.

• rpgalonrpgalon Member Posts: 430

Originally posted by BarCrow

I like the gameplay but Funcom has done some lazy ass work wih TSW. So basically...the only thing different about Factions is the faction lore and the hub city in which you collect the lore markers.. Oh and the Faction names and initial NPC contacts. Other than that..you dream the same..live in the same apartment...do the same Tokyo tutorial. Go to hub city and do the same thing with the only difference being the names and appearances of the npcs. Then all aboard to Kingsmouth..etc...etc..etc. All skills are the same per faction.  Lazy design...I'm a little upset. I'll play...but will not likely re-play. Especially once I know all the puzzles from the first go around.

At the least all the existing skills are fine..but add one set of skills on the wheel that are different per faction. Maybe 3 sets of martial arts for Dragon. 3 sets of techno abilities for Illuminati and 3 sets of Holy/DIvine/(maybe even Infernal) abilitys for Templars. Just as examples.

I know w/o a skill cap and limited active/passive skills (7each) on toolbars that there can be many combos and loadout possibilities..but there really should be some skills special to factions.

lazy design would be giving each faction some specific weapon, skill, ability or even worse making each faction be a specific race.

that is against their Idea of no classes, it's far harder to create an unique faction when the members have the same pool of abilities and are all humans...   yet, I believe they did it, at least for me.

Dragon, Illuminati, Templar. All feel different to me.

Also, you forgot about the faction specific quests and a dev said there is indeed some faction specific skills in the game, but those are not made for combat.

• BarCrowBarCrow Member UncommonPosts: 2,195

Originally posted by rpgalon

Originally posted by BarCrow

lazy design would be giving each faction some specific weapon, skill, ability or even worse making each faction be a specific race.

that is against their Idea of no classes, it's far harder to create an unique faction when the members have the same pool of abilities and are all humans...   yet, I believe they did it, at least for me.

Dragon, Illuminati, Templar. All feel different to me.

Also, you forgot about the faction specific quests and a dev said there is indeed some faction specific skills in the game, but those are not made for combat.

I don't see how giving each faction a section of faction combat and defense skills goes against their "no class" idea. Depending on what combos you choose you can pretty much mimic the trinity anyway. Its just that everyone can do anything instead of looking for a particular class.  Many skills are the same with different effects...for the most part. The faction skills would just be for diversity since they would all be balanced out damage/defense-wise but with enough flavor to "belong" to that faction.

Anyway..still like playing and maybe I'll change my mind about the few things I mention later in game when these faction specific non-combat skills come into play. Right now though..they just seem to be the same. going to the same areas at the same time.

Some of the quests are spooky as shite though..lol.

• gilgamesh42gilgamesh42 Member Posts: 300

:0 i wonder the many ways in which funcom will drop the ball

• SnikzSnikz Member UncommonPosts: 120
    I like the game it has a lot of flaws.. Bud there is simply somethings i rally find interesting in this game , sø you people can have with anime tera :)