Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Secret World: SWTOR vs. TSW – A Story Comparison

13»

Comments

• severiusseverius Member UncommonPosts: 1,516

I would be hesitant to try and compare the stories yet, just because haven't seen the whole thing.  We've seen all of what?  1/10 of 1/3 of the game's story?  And all of this that we've seen is written by how many devs?  Was it just one?  Can you tell from this one how the Illuminati stories will play out or how the next section of the Templar's story?

From what I have seen there have been sparks of creativity, just like in TOR.  And there is mundane crap too, just like TOR.

• sacredfoolsacredfool Member UncommonPosts: 849

Originally posted by severius  1/10 of 1/3 of the game's story?  

The closed beta is about 1/10th from what I am told (It's only 1 out of 8 zones, and the starter zone too).

Lets just hope it's not another Tortage. 

Originally posted by nethaniah

Seriously Farmville? Yeah I think it's great. In a World where half our population is dying of hunger the more fortunate half is spending their time harvesting food that doesn't exist.

• jtcgsjtcgs Member Posts: 1,777

Originally posted by elocke

I could argue that your analogy of Tom's ball, set to the right music and filmed that way, could be telling a story unto itself.  Reminiscent of games like Journey and Flower.  That's how I see it anyway.  Actual storyline, the genre's are different but let me defend how it's delivered.  

SWTOR - Main class quest (I enjoyed these for the most part, although pacing was thrown off due to being level gated and having to do tons of sidequests that didn't matter to your overall story) , planet quests and general run of the mill sidequests.  None of them interacting with each other, that I could find.   

TSW - Main storyline flavored by your faction, side quests in each zone that, surprise surprise, actually compliment or reflect the main storyline in every way.  That's just the quests that are available in the weekend beta, I believe there are faction quests that aren't turned on yet.

1. Thank you for a mostly direct refute.

2. The point still stands that the placement of camera or what is happening off in the distance does not in fact change a story in a game. If the story is about Tom and his ball, no angle is going to change what the story is about.

3. You purposfully worded SWTORs sidequests differently to make them sound like they are not like TWSs side quests when in fact they are. The non-main story quests which BTW have nothing to do with the topic of storylines, are as tied in to the location as TSWs are...even the mundain kill quests...example, on Coruscant you are sent to the Old Galatic Market sector to stop a gang that is holding it hostage for the money they loaned to get someone elected, every single side quest, even the kill x amount of gang members are tied into what is happening in that sector. You sure arent sent to kill 20 boars on that planet sized city. Also you listed faction based storyline as a point as if SWTORs storylines are not faction based...

4. You gave a long refute filled with reasons...not tied to the main story...while quoting me asking if anyone can actually talk about the MAIN STORYLINES...so again, right back to the main issue...this topic states storyline comparissons yet doesnt do it...it would seem no one is capable.

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

• bbbmmmlllbbbmmmlll Member Posts: 79

The SWTOR main story lines didn't impress me. The Replublic stories just seemed kind of silly - like finding the special potion to save the sick Jedi. Or out of place - a room of much higher level NPC Jedi's need my help to run two minutes away and clear an area? I guess the story lines always seemed at odds with what was actually going on with the world.  Doesn't help that in almost all cases the dialog wheel is just an illusion of choice.

I've only played TSW for eight hours and the main story line seems more engrossing so far. The Templar building was a bit weak, but once I got to the first starter zone I was enjoying it and never once had to suspend belief. Everything seemed to fit together nicely and I much prefer the cut scenes over a faux dialog wheel.

• eddieg50eddieg50 Member UncommonPosts: 1,809

I am happy to see TSW going the story route , although it is an adventure game also. swtor presented a very polished prefessional production with their story telling and although TSW production is not as good they have a wider variety of quests, both games tend to feel like single player games with mmo kind of tacked on but the great thing about mmo's is they can be changable so tsw looks very interesting at this point.  You will need a good system to play at high or ultra settings.

• TheDorTheDor Member UncommonPosts: 84
    Hold on, are you trying to say that Funcom made a story based game better than Bioware? That's the most ridiculous thing I've read in a while.
    SW:TOR:
    Fully voiced player character
    Dialog options
    8 full story lines
    Cinematics that don’t look like a 5 year old animated them
    Every quest has a cinematic and voice

TSW:
    Player has no voice options, never says a peep during the entire game
    No dialog options
    3 story lines
    Terrible quality cinematics (animation, textures, voice work)
    Only the main story line and the primary adventure quests have cinematics and voice work

How is this even a comparison? TSW has literally 1/5 the story that SWTOR has. And, what story does exist, is terribly animated, textured, and voiced. People, go watch some youtube videos of TSW character's eyeballs rotating out of their heads during cinematics.

• CazNeergCazNeerg Member Posts: 2,198

Both games have well written stories, but both are also very flawed.  TOR is flawed in the sense that most of it's story content is shared, so in order to see all of the portion that is actually fun you have to engage in massive amounts of repetition of the least interesting content.  It also has the problem of being limited to the rather puritanical standards of LucasArts in what they will allow in their stories.  PG < R when it comes to stories.

The most glaring flaw in TSW is that your character isn't even really a character, just an avatar for hanging equipment on.  He doesn't participate in the story on any level, he simply observes it.  The overall high quality and maturity of the story makes it that much more glaring how unfinished it feels when the character you play is revealed to be nothing but a set of pixels with no impact on or relevance to the game world.

Combine the BioWare focus on character and choice with TSW's focus on adult themes and interesting plot/setting, and *that* would be a truly awesome game.  As things stand, each game is a great example of where the other could use substantial improvement.  (And both blow the truly, truly terrible writing in GW2 out of the water.  Not that that is saying much.)

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
    Through passion, I gain strength.
    Through strength, I gain power.
    Through power, I gain victory.
    Through victory, my chains are broken.
    The Force shall free me.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207

Originally posted by TheDor

Hold on, are you trying to say that Funcom made a story based game better than Bioware? That's the most ridiculous thing I've read in a while.

SW:TOR:

Fully voiced player character

Dialog options <- meaningless dialog options, that if you want to game the system have you constantly making all the Goodie choices or all the baddie choices otherwise you miss out on stuff

8 full story lines

Cinematics that don’t look like a 5 year old animated them

Every quest has a cinematic and voice

TSW:

Player has no voice options, never says a peep during the entire game  <- I like this, give me gordon freeman / skyrim style anyday, i find it massively imersion breaking when "I" talk with an american accent

No dialog options

3 story lines

Terrible quality cinematics (animation, textures, voice work) - a lie, vastly superior graphics to swtor - except for the shoddy jump animation and "impact" animations, in cutscenes no way does swtors "clone wars" look look better.  Voice is better too in tsw imo.

Only the main story line and the primary adventure quests have cinematics and voice work <-A bonus, we dont need 10 minutes of basildon exposition to go kill 10 whomp rats, n ot that tsw has a lot of those old fashioned wow quests anyway

How is this even a comparison? TSW has literally 1/5 the story that SWTOR has. And, what story does exist, is terribly animated, textured, and voiced. People, go watch some youtube videos of TSW character's eyeballs rotating out of their heads during cinematics.

the best comparison is - TSW manages to do the story thing while actually being a proper fully fledged MMO, not some sprpg with a chat room and the ocasional bit of coop in dungeons.  Shock horror you can actually go off and explore and find quests to do rather than just going up and down corridors or corridors disguised as mountain ranges or swamps or whatever.

• musicmannmusicmann Member UncommonPosts: 1,095

Originally posted by Anthur

Who just came up with the idea that an MMO needs a pre-determined peronal story which in most cases even is 100 % linear ?

They exist in SWTOR, TSW, GW2. Some are more and some are less entertaining. All have in common that you can enjoy them one time at most and they are completely unnecessary in an MMO. Imo these are wasted resources better invested into other features.

I completely agree. While i was impressed with the quest setup, when a cutscene happened it really took me out of the moment so to speak.

• DevianeDeviane Member UncommonPosts: 108

well i see  almost every cooment here bashes on swtor and  prefeers tsw...i havent played tsw and im playing swtor  (actually im playing it  right now :P) i only can say  as far as you tube videos  and reviews tells that theres its no comparision between swtor and tsw, swtor have  a more in deep story....thats all

but maybe thats ok...like mike b say its more like  tsw its in the middle  giving u some story elements losing  another ones but not entirely focusing on story

swtor kinda overdid  the story as  some ppl say sometimes u  want the npc  to shut up (happens to me with the ones that speack  huttese or some another alien language  that its just the same sounds over and over)but that doesnt make the story bad or anithing in fact u often continue to do the same old quest just because the story (at least i did)

i can only laugh at ppl saying the voicovers are worst in swtor....honestly  BW did a  A+ job on that area, they hired lots of pros  and i could name some  famous  voices there  (where else u can have  your character  be voiced for no other than THE fucking Solid Snake  hehe so cool) voices in tsw are quite good but imo swtor have better ones...what i think it may add some good  points on tsw its because its easyer to u  to identify  with a vampire  story or zombies other than  sitha and jedis and  lots of political and military babbling...imo swtor its a lil more serious on that aspect even if  both games  have son jokes in the  cinematics an goods ammount of action

honestly im only waiting  for GW"2 and what stop me from getting  TSW its  funcom adding  prices a lil too high  plus a  gameshop in a P2P game... maybe its worth it and im sure the store dont give any  advantage items ...but still  seems like they  try to get as much money  as  they can from the begining...i understand that but  im kinda affraid    that TSW  ends like AoC or Allods online(games with  good potential  ruined  by  greedy  companies....those evil  basterds :P)

we will see

sorry for my engrish :P

• DracillDracill Member UncommonPosts: 158
    SWTOR story wins for me just for one reason.. the silent main character.
    BioWare games spoil me in that sense but play a character that can't speak nor even try its to much for me.
    The should at least give us some useless options like they did in Conan better the illusion of choice than not choice at all.
    Beyond that I will buy and play the game for 1 month.