Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

When Is The Last Time An MMO Surprised You?

Comments

• PsyMike3dPsyMike3d Member UncommonPosts: 388

Darkfall, suprised me! i hope a proper company copy it and make a new one......

• tixylixtixylix Member UncommonPosts: 1,288

SWTOR surprised me of how much it played like a worse WoW even though the developers orginally marketed it as not wanting to have several of you taking down a boss because that isn't heroic. They said they didn't want to have kill 10 rats quests and yet 90% of the questing content is shared kill or fetch quests like every boring MMO and they said they didn't want it to become about the gear and it is lol.

• anemoanemo Member RarePosts: 1,903

Actually managing to get lost in WurmOnline.

Practice doesn't make perfect, practice makes permanent.

"At one point technology meant making tech that could get to the moon, now it means making tech that could get you a taxi."

• EdeusEdeus Member CommonPosts: 506

Is the OP sure that he is asking the right question?  Gameplay mechanics that are surprising?  Gameplay stops being surprising after a day or 2. 

What is surprising is everyone and everything else other than gameplay.  Sometimes the questline takes a wild turn and I'm like "wtf?!"  Or another player will introduce me to another way of playing the same class.  Or a player will shock me with how badly they play.  Or I will be thrown aback by the beauty of a certain zone (first time entering Nagrand/Aion's forest zones/Gotham city when it's raining).  Or a player will surprise me with some concept I never heard of, but makes sense.  Or the surprisingly silly conversations in local or trade chat that never seem to get old.  Or the surprising enjoyment of defeating some raid boss with friends.

It's the community that keeps me coming back for more, and sometimes the fine details in the graphics.  The gameplay takes a day to memorize and I'm done...

Taru-Gallante-Blood elf-Elysean-Kelari-Crime Fighting-Imperial Agent

• IstavaanIstavaan Member Posts: 1,350

Guild wars 2! i wasn't expecting too much but i was blown away with how beautifully interactive the world is.

• elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335

GW2 and TSW.  Hence why I'm excited for both games.  GW2's exploring and freedom and difference in combat and TSW's similar freedom and deep thought investigation missions, plus the booby trap missions, those things kept making me jump in my seat when I would accidentally set off a bomb and die, lol.  Was awesome!

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

This weekend during the TSW open beta weekend..

• just1opinionjust1opinion Member UncommonPosts: 4,641

Originally posted by Eir_S

GW2.  I was thinking people didn't make good MMOs anymore.

Same.  The quality surprised me, the beauty surprised me, the combat (once actually experiencing it) surprised me, dying in low level zones surprised me (in a good way), the crafting surprised me, the SIZE of the game and size of the cities REALLY surprised me, the fact that I was actually having FUN again while playing an MMO.....shocked me.

President of The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club

• oubersoubers Member UncommonPosts: 855

Originally posted by just1opinion

GW2.  I was thinking people didn't make good MMOs anymore.

Same.  The quality surprised me, the beauty surprised me, the combat (once actually experiencing it) surprised me, dying in low level zones surprised me (in a good way), the crafting surprised me, the SIZE of the game and size of the cities REALLY surprised me, the fact that I was actually having FUN again while playing an MMO.....shocked me.

imho the city where kinda static and lifeless....most npc's actually just stood there doing nothing just like all other mmo's.

but maybe its just me when it come to these cities.

I must admit that GW2 was better then i hoped for (i wasnt really hyped AT ALL) but it just didnt realy feel like it was the next gen mmo to me......so the last time a game actually got to me was WOW :p hehe

• timtracktimtrack Member UncommonPosts: 541

SWTOR surprised me with a very engaging and enjoyable storyline (i played Imperial Agent). The beautiful city-planets also surprised me visually, I don't remember seeing actual realistic-size skyscrapers in any other mmo. Out of reach or not, they looked stunning. There was also a fair amount of nostalgic Star-Wars feelings going on when i played through it, which was nice.

TERA surprised me by being better then i had expected. it's a very "same old"-MMO, but when done well i don't care. Just as one can enjoy Modern Warfare 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9....113, i can enjoy Generic MMO 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9..... It's a solid MMO with some fresh features going on. I probably wont play it for very long, but it's definitely worth my investment.

GW2 Beta surprised me in many ways. I went in as blank as i could to not have any sort expectations really. Most of my experience so far has been one big fresh surprise.

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965

I must admit TERA surprised me. It was much better than I expected, on many levels.

Not that I am playing it, because better games are comming our way...but still

• ariestearieste Member UncommonPosts: 3,309

TSW has a quest that needs to be done while you're dead.  That's pretty f*cking awesome (and surprising.).  

The game has its highs and lows, but cool stuff like that is what always keeps me interested in Funcom's games.  

"I’d rather work on something with great potential than on fulfilling a promise of mediocrity."

- Raph Koster

Tried: AO,EQ,EQ2,DAoC,SWG,AA,SB,HZ,CoX,PS,GA,TR,IV,GnH,EVE, PP,DnL,WAR,MxO,SWG,FE,VG,AoC,DDO,LoTRO,Rift,TOR,Aion,Tera,TSW,GW2,DCUO,CO,STO
    Favourites: AO,SWG,EVE,TR,LoTRO,TSW,EQ2, Firefall
    Currently Playing: ESO

• XssivXssiv Member UncommonPosts: 359

Tera was a pleasant suprise for me.  Started playing shortly after launch and have been really enjoying it so far.

I tried playing WoW the other night and immediately missed the combat and controls of Tera.  Coming from someone who's been playing WoW since launch that's saying a lot.

• SenadinaSenadina Member UncommonPosts: 896

Originally posted by arieste

TSW has a quest that needs to be done while you're dead.  That's pretty f*cking awesome (and surprising.).  

The game has its highs and lows, but cool stuff like that is what always keeps me interested in Funcom's games.  

THANK YOU. That's what I was doing wrong. image

• obiiobii Member UncommonPosts: 804

WOW, I expected it to be a zoning buggy grind and was surprised at how polished and open it seemed.

• Heinz130Heinz130 Member Posts: 227

That was last night during TSW beta

I just made a random build for pvp after 10-20 minuts of skills efects and combinations analysis and got 5 ppl to go to london some pvp

At first thot i was more just to test and learn for future builds,but for my surprise i did way better than i thot with that build and kinda owned the arena,i did not completly owning becouse there was 2 guys with good cc builds that made it tricky to kill em.

But my true consolidate surprise experience was back in my first EVE days,i found out the game have a solid serious mechanics and system,and the HUGE world,b4 EVE my experience with mmorpgs was that old themepark labs with constant system and skill efects changes or bad quality/small world-multiple servers games

WoW 4ys,EVE 4ys,EU 4ys
    FH1942 best tanker for 4years
    Playing WWII OL for some years untill now
    many other for some months

• DissolutionDissolution Member Posts: 210

Just a couple months ago with Vanguard.

I played it in Beta and hated it.

I played it at release and hated it.

Stopped back in a couple times over the years and still hated.

My biggest issues were the poor performance, glitches and bugs.

Stopped back in again a couple of months ago and have not had an interest in logging into another game since.The game performs very well and the bugs that do remain are easily ignored. These are being worked on as it reches F2P as well.

This ended up being the first game in a long time I have a riculously hard time logging off of. Its an MMO based on the older template like EQ1 and DAoC (which is what I prefer). Its a massive world where you would literally need to play multiple characters over an extended period of time and go well out of your way with each to see it all.

In depth crafting system.

Unique Diplomacy system I have never seen in any other game.

After years of playing every release of hot garbage coming out looking for a new home the last thing I expected was to go back in time and find one. This is probably not one for the folks who require the flash bang effects of modern MMOs and need a hand held through each individual step of the game, but I am loving it.

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775

2008... Darkfall.

an extreemly under rated game. You just have to approach it right.

Ironically the best way to enjoy this game is to NOT be competitive.

game world first, clan vs clan warfare second. Small scale pvp, In small scale pvp if you are hunted always assume you will lose. Having initiative is huge and also highly under rated.

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• helthroshelthros Member UncommonPosts: 1,449

Originally posted by SEANMCAD

2008... Darkfall.

an extreemly under rated game. You just have to approach it right.

Ironically the best way to enjoy this game is to NOT be competitive.

game world first, clan vs clan warfare second. Small scale pvp, In small scale pvp if you are hunted always assume you will lose. Having initiative is huge and also highly under rated.

Darkfall was surprisingly fun. The feel of adventure and looming threat of being ganked makes for quite a nice little rush.

What I couldn't get past is the bunny hopping and the spamming spells endlessly to try to rank them up.

• just1opinionjust1opinion Member UncommonPosts: 4,641

Originally posted by Senadina

WoW had a quest that could only be picked up while you're dead.  I don't think you had to be dead to DO it, but still.  Not that that isn't a semi-original idea.  I like the idea of it.

President of The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club

• PuremallacePuremallace Member Posts: 1,856

Well Trion is about to introduce a 3rd faction and RvR in a content patch along with free faction transfers, so yeah I need to change my boxers after seeing that.

Does that qualify?

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440

WoW had a quest that could only be picked up while you're dead.  I don't think you had to be dead to DO it, but still.  Not that that isn't a semi-original idea.  I like the idea of it.

Yeeeeeah, the ghost of the dwarf in Blackrock mountain.  I was so confused by that at first.  

• DrNo172000DrNo172000 Member Posts: 48

Originally posted by Munkyman1

Ultima Online - Logged in for the first time and was in shock and awe at the sheer amount of things to accomplish, and oddly enough it had nothing to do with rushing to endgame for wicked loot.

^^^^^

Never be another one like it.

• RydesonRydeson Member UncommonPosts: 3,852

For me.. I have to say the last time I actually felt a rush from playing was EQ1.. Nothing has come close since..  I remember all the times I was running for my life, getting wacked, stunned, spun around dazed, clicking on doors, drowning.. etc etc.  There were many times I actually felt a physical response to my enviroment..

Today's games since WoW feel so linear and pre-programmed.. It's like knit one, purl two.. I really never feel in danger, or loss..

• Don-QuixoteDon-Quixote Member Posts: 87

Yeeeeeah, the ghost of the dwarf in Blackrock mountain.  I was so confused by that at first.  

I think there was one in Tanaris too, it was part of the chain to get Linken's sword, you could only see the lad while being a ghost.