Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Rift might be going 3 Faction

MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387

With talk and conspiracies going on about Rift going 3 factions,

has there ever been a MMO that has Successfully converted Faction numbers?

I know Sandbox MMO do this, but what about Themepark MMO?

Would you like to see more Faction MMO to simply convert over to the 3 faction model from the current model?

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

Comments

• synnsynn Member UncommonPosts: 563
    I don't recall any mmo that has tried adding a new factiin once the game launched. tbh if they did add a new faction I might be tempted to resub for atleast a month.
  • OpapanaxOpapanax Member Posts: 973

I really would like to see more games try to implement multiple factions. 3 is the staple for the most part but I'm wondering if something set up with 5 seperate factions could garnish enough support so that all of them felt like they had a healthy community of players.

There are already multiple things to consider just designing 3+ factions so that all seem equally appealing and balanced. If a developer went this route I would be interested to see if they choose to add a few faction specific things to seperate them from the common whole.

I hope developers aren't intimidated by players wanting (or not wanting) multiple factions; I doubt they are, but it'd be nice to see a solid attempt at designing something along these lines.

TL;DR I'm for multiple factions, maybe even more than just 3

PM before you report at least or you could just block.

• darkartgoddarkartgod Member Posts: 42

i played a fre trial of rift and really was only checking out the classes ,, but if they did do this i would be extremely interested since i really miss DAoC ... and even though other games have 3 factions ,, they just didnt blend it well like DAoC .

• punkrockpunkrock Member Posts: 1,777
    I would hope so! would add to the game in the PVP part. I would give it another go if they did this. But open world and make it worth somthing.
  • pierthpierth Member UncommonPosts: 1,494

Three factions would be a step in the right direction, but with Rift's absolute focus on gear and it's grinding for endgame (PvP and PvE) I don't see it making much difference.

• NewnanNewnan Member UncommonPosts: 98

Fuck factions, FFA is the only good way

Screw leveling games, give me something with "End game" at the beginning of the game.

• Master10KMaster10K Member Posts: 3,065

If Rift ever does add a 3rd faction (which I sincerely doubt), by then it would be too late. Just too many promising MMOs on the horizon.

• EmrendilEmrendil Member Posts: 199

Hm, new faction, that could be interesting.

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748

The "GW2 effect"?

Oderint, dum metuant.

• RedempRedemp Member UncommonPosts: 1,136

This is the first time I'm hearing about Rift possibly adding a third faction ...... is this a real thing?

• SkuzSkuz Member UncommonPosts: 1,018

Originally posted by Volkon

The "GW2 effect"?

More accurately the DAoC, GW2, TSW, TESO effect - it's not just that 1 major title is going 3-faction but that so many major titles that are.

TRION if they do manage to crowbar a 3rd faction into Rift will simply be aiming to stay current & retain a playstyle that is keeping in line with the prevailing trend, but I think it's players will enjoy the added dimension it would bring to PvP.

• XeseXese Member Posts: 39

The thing is the more factions you have in a themepark MMO, the higher of a player base you will need to actually sustain the game. This is a fact for any game. Once the sub starts dwindling after the initial hype the game with many factions will become empty and unplayable. And this is why not many will attempt doing 5 factions.

So I don't know what RIFT's current population is but increasing the number of factions may not be a good idea, depending on how they will implement this.

• cosycosy Member UncommonPosts: 3,228

Originally posted by MMOExposed

With talk and conspiracies going on about Rift going 3 factions,

has there ever been a MMO that has Successfully converted Faction numbers?

I know Sandbox MMO do this, but what about Themepark MMO?

Would you like to see more Faction MMO to simply convert over to the 3 faction model from the current model?

Daoc have 3 factions more factions the better for the players

BestSigEver :P

• RebelScum99RebelScum99 Member Posts: 1,090

The "GW2 effect"?

More like the "DAoC" effect.  GW2 didn't invent 3 faction PvP.  Sorry fanbois.

• AldersAlders Member RarePosts: 2,207

Man i love Trion.  If anyone can do it, they can.  The issue then is how to make those 3 factions count for anything.  Just adding another without objectives to fight over won't be enough.  They really can't half ass it.

• RebelScum99RebelScum99 Member Posts: 1,090

Originally posted by Alders

Man i love Trion.  If anyone can do it, they can.  The issue then is how to make those 3 factions count for anything.  Just adding another without objectives to fight over won't be enough.  They really can't half ass it.

Knowing Trion, you can rest assured that it will be some lobby-style PvP that has you queing up to join.  

• ArawniteArawnite Member Posts: 163
    Great timing Trion...more than a year after the majority of the playerbase got fed up with the unfulfilled promises of better PvP, and left the game for good.

And adding this faction won't do a damn bit of good if they still have the same meaningless battleground grind as before. Another game developer that just doesn't understand what makes PvP fun...

• anemoanemo Member RarePosts: 1,903

WurmOnline went 3 faction after release.   Then again it worked because it's a tight knit community and a bunch of people wanted a new leaf to turn, and distance themselves from others.

Practice doesn't make perfect, practice makes permanent.

"At one point technology meant making tech that could get to the moon, now it means making tech that could get you a taxi."

• GrakulenGrakulen Staff WriterMMORPG.COM Staff LegendaryPosts: 894

TL;DR I'm for multiple factions, maybe even more than just 3

As long as the number of factions was odd.  Got to have that swing man!

• Kykyryz-aKykyryz-a Member Posts: 113

Originally posted by RebelScum99

The "GW2 effect"?

More like the "DAoC" effect.  GW2 didn't invent 3 faction PvP.  Sorry fanbois.

Why its always "fanbois"  reply .  maybe Rebel  meant   "GW2 effect" as  with GW on horisont  other games  feeling the need to make real changes(or at least promise) to minimise lossing of the subscribers :)

• Heinz130Heinz130 Member Posts: 227

Omg,rift,i dont hear about this game since i was a wow player and an army of wow haters pop up with "rift will kill wow" threads

Well,i think that more factions is aways better than a few

WoW 4ys,EVE 4ys,EU 4ys
    FH1942 best tanker for 4years
    Playing WWII OL for some years untill now
    many other for some months