Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A suggestion to gain credibility

frestonfreston Member UncommonPosts: 503

Since last BWE, ive readen lots of reviews by people who claim they took part in it, some positive, some not so much. Among the second, you find some from people who clearly played the game and found it was not their cup of tea (generally people expecting a more sandboxy feel ) and people who , for reasons i cant even begin to understand, havent really touched it but claim they have in an effort to give substance to what it could have been an otherwise valid critic ("im not going to try GW 2 because of...." is valid. Claiming a first hand experience you dont have is not)

I propose a simple suggestion to give credibility to any GW2 review: post the name of your nandle. The one you use to post in the official forums. Ofc there are ways around this, but its better than nothing. As i believe by preaching by example, my forum name is seventh son (i havent put the id number. Lets keep something to ourselves)

Comments

• ozmonoozmono Member UncommonPosts: 1,211

It sounds to me as though you are assuming people are lying about playing the game because you disagree strongly with them. Is that a fair call?

• frestonfreston Member UncommonPosts: 503

Originally posted by ozmono

It sounds to me as though you are assuming people are lying about playing the game because you disagree strongly with them. Is that a fair call?

If you read my post, i make it clear that i think that some negative reviews are made by people who have clearly played the game.

Originally posted by freston

If you read my post, i make it clear that i think that some negative reviews are made by people who have clearly played the game.

Now you are suggesting that I didn't read your post because I asked you a question about the dominant issue you appear to be attempting to fix? Is that fair?

In all seriousness I read your post and with the exception of the question above  I wasn't intending to be a prick. I was just asking you a question because it felt warranted and I thought I'd give you the opportunity to explain the situation as you saw it better. I still think the question is valid by the way.

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135

You can try and impose these things all you want, but it's not going to stick.

For one, a lot of people post on the internet for anonymity. They aren't going to want to give away information like that, especially if they think they may stick w/ the game a bit. Even some of the negative reviewers will more than likely stick w/ the game, regardless of what they say.

Furthermore, there are quite a few basic questions that can be asked to determine whether or not someone has actually played the game. Their forum handle is just one of them. Doesn't matter which question you ask, someone who has never played isn't going to answer. It's pretty easy to expose a troll, the problem (on these boards) is that their policy makes it fairly difficult to punish those who are trolling. There's a reason this site tends to be a haven for trollers & haters. They have are treated a lot more kindly than other sites.

• heartlessheartless Member UncommonPosts: 4,993

Who cares? What's important is if you like the game or not. The other people and their reviews don't matter.

Originally posted by heartless

Who cares? What's important is if you like the game or not. The other people and their reviews don't matter.

While it's true, missinformation does matter. It sucks, but it's true.

Some of us know enough to do our own research, and figure out for ourselves whether or not we will like a game, but most people do not. Many people either don't have the time to do the research, or simply don't want to. It doesn't really bother me what other people say, but many good games have been ruined by unfair reviews / missinformation. I'd rather people at least attempt to correct this, then just say 'oh well' and let people slander w/e they feel like. I'd rather the industry (as a whole, not just MMOs) got more interesting games, not less. I don't need a CoD 18.

Now you are suggesting that I didn't read your post because I asked you a question about the dominant issue you appear to be attempting to fix? Is that fair?

In all seriousness I read your post and with the exception of the question above  I wasn't intending to be a prick. I was just asking you a question because it felt warranted and I thought I'd give you the opportunity to explain the situation as you saw it better. I still think the question is valid by the way.

Ive readen many negative reviews based on aspects of GW1 that arent present in GW2 , just to name an example.The poster has played the first game and assumes the second will be similar. There are analogies that are just plain bizarre, lots of references to CoH (because of the sidekicking system i guess, but i have played it too and similiarities to gw2 are minimal).

In short, the kind of thing that playing the game 5 minutes would drive away, because youd see that its just not built that way.  Thats what i mean when i talk about reviews by people who obviously have not played the game: misconceptions about basic mechanics tht wouldnt survive 48 hours of beta game time.

I think its perfectly possible to play GW2 and not like it, if thats what you are asking me.

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
    Originally posted by aesperus

Some of us know enough to do our own research, and figure out for ourselves whether or not we will like a game, but most people do not. Many people either don't have the time to do the research, or simply don't want to. It doesn't really bother me what other people say, but many good games have been ruined by unfair reviews / missinformation. I'd rather people at least attempt to correct this, then just say 'oh well' and let people slander w/e they feel like. I'd rather the industry (as a whole, not just MMOs) got more interesting games, not less. I don't need a CoD 18.

But actually this goes both ways. How often do fans of a MMO, give the game high reviews that are overhyped? Just look at ......................!

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254

Originally posted by MMOExposed

But actually this goes both ways. How often do fans of a MMO, give the game high reviews that are overhyped? Just look at ......................!

It's okay to correct someone no matter which lie they tell.

Originally posted by colddog04

Not always. Warhammer forums would get you a infraction or ban for correcting a fanboy during its hype days...

And GW2Guru, was ,,,, well let's not talk about that site...

• ValkaernValkaern Member UncommonPosts: 497

Overall, GW2 has had a pretty easy time compared to most new MMOs which (here on these forums especially) are hounded relentlessly by people that may have hitched their wagons to a different star. It's obvious many people weren't expecting to be as impressed with it as they were, myself included.

The fact that so many concerns about GW2 seem to be founded in misinformation and a misunderstanding of the systems rather than actual problems is a good indicator as well. While with another recently released MMO and a soon to be released one, the criticisms are all very specific to their respective game and peoples concerns seem to repeatedly echo eachother.

I wouldn't just limit community interaction to these forums either, there are a lot of really good communities out there, and news sites as well. It's pretty clear that overall, a lot of people have a lot of good things to say about it and the game is strong enough to speak for itself and stand on its own, it really doesn't need defending. 

The people that have something interesting to say as to why it's unappealing to them stand out from people who clearly misunderstand the systems they're talking about and the more obvious trolls from a mile away, they're not hurting anyone but themselves. Also, while I'm absolutely hooked on GW2 after playing it, I still enjoy reading other peoples opinions provided they're somewhat intelligent and insightful. 

I just don't see a need for this, I assume by now we can all easily tell the trolls from those with something worthwhile to say.

Ive readen many negative reviews based on aspects of GW1 that arent present in GW2 , just to name an example.The poster has played the first game and assumes the second will be similar. There are analogies that are just plain bizarre, lots of references to CoH (because of the sidekicking system i guess, but i have played it too and similiarities to gw2 are minimal).

In short, the kind of thing that playing the game 5 minutes would drive away, because youd see that its just not built that way.  Thats what i mean when i talk about reviews by people who obviously have not played the game: misconceptions about basic mechanics tht wouldnt survive 48 hours of beta game time.

I think its perfectly possible to play GW2 and not like it, if thats what you are asking me.

Okay thanks for clarifying. I haven't really been keeping up with the latest forum wars that a new MMO brings about. I don't think it's above certain people to pretend they've played just so they can slam a game but by the same token I think claiming another person hasn't played the game just to discredit someones opinion could be just as bad. I should say that you didn't come across as looking for an excuse to discredit someone but it is possible for someone to use it in such a way. There is always two sides to the flame wars and I've seen some pretty crappy things come and go in past “fanboys vs haters” incarnations.

As for the issue itself I agree that it would be very difficult to get people to adhere to what you are suggesting.

• The_KorriganThe_Korrigan Member RarePosts: 3,459

Actually, people who lie in their negative reviews amuse me - it's easy to prove them wrong and make them look stupid. Then you see them cluchting at straws, which is even more entertaining.

My official forum handle is not hard to guess either =P

Respect, walk, what did you say?
    Respect, walk
    Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?
    - PANTERA at HELLFEST 2023
    Yes, they are back !

• MMO_REVIEWERMMO_REVIEWER Member Posts: 371

Why not just say read instead of readen.

MMO's are the ark of the gaming world. Let it take us in new directions.

• KalferKalfer Member Posts: 779

There is no credibility in the media today.

Look at this nonsense about the presidential election; http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=pots7T4vOT8

You can't trust what anybody says, and you can't help all those people who let themselves be influenced by others. They will claim that YOU are wearing the tin foil hat shouting conspiracy theories, yet they in truth are the ones being manipulated, as they don't want to educate themselves.

How many people here are posting in the GW2 forum asking questions about everything because they dont want to research themselves. they are satisfied by being told by strangers how it is, how its supposed to be and how it will be. It's a different picture being painted than if they had used their critical thinking skills and researched things on their own. their minds and opinions would be unfiltered, but like Kony 2012 all it takes is some sad music and some cute children to convince anyone of what is right and what is wrong.

• KyelthisKyelthis Member UncommonPosts: 287

Originally posted by colddog04

Not always. Warhammer forums would get you a infraction or ban for correcting a fanboy during its hype days...

And GW2Guru, was ,,,, well let's not talk about that site...

Well, to be honest, Warhammer was only really hyped during it's beta or before the elder beta even. The devs promised so much during that time (I was an elder tester, later a core tester), racial cities on or shortly after launch (never happened), and even a different city siege mechanic (never made it in). So, looking at that developer's history (DAoC), one would think that most of the promises would come to pass, they didn't. The thing about GW2 and ANet is that they have stated that anything they show or talk about is in the game already, not "going to be released later", or "once it's balanced".

But I do agree that fanatic fanboys can sometimes pump up a game more than it should be, but the lesson at the end of the day is this: watch a lot of gameplay videos that encompass the whole game and it's content (PvP vids, PvE vids, dungeon vids, ect) or play the game yourself then decide if you'll play it or not.

Originally posted by Valkaern

Overall, GW2 has had a pretty easy time compared to most new MMOs which (here on these forums especially) are hounded relentlessly by people that may have hitched their wagons to a different star. It's obvious many people weren't expecting to be as impressed with it as they were, myself included.
    The fact that so many concerns about GW2 seem to be founded in misinformation and a misunderstanding of the systems rather than actual problems is a good indicator as well. While with another recently released MMO and a soon to be released one, the criticisms are all very specific to their respective game and peoples concerns seem to repeatedly echo eachother.
    I wouldn't just limit community interaction to these forums either, there are a lot of really good communities out there, and news sites as well. It's pretty clear that overall, a lot of people have a lot of good things to say about it and the game is strong enough to speak for itself and stand on its own, it really doesn't need defending. 
    The people that have something interesting to say as to why it's unappealing to them stand out from people who clearly misunderstand the systems they're talking about and the more obvious trolls from a mile away, they're not hurting anyone but themselves. Also, while I'm absolutely hooked on GW2 after playing it, I still enjoy reading other peoples opinions provided they're somewhat intelligent and insightful. 
    I just don't see a need for this, I assume by now we can all easily tell the trolls from those with something worthwhile to say.

Honestly I believe you havnt seen much criticism of GW2 on this forum and guru, is because the community of GW2 is far more radically offensive and sensitive to negative talk on about GW2. Over the pass few months, we even saw large threads that defended stuff and made things positives, that would normally be considered negatives on any other MMO that would come out.

Honestly, this community is under a hive mind. We saw this on guru, in which the community never lashed out against the mods, until that major "Anet will have an official GW2 forum" thread came ountin the news section, which even forced a mod to come over to this site to argue. Hivemind made it cool for mods to do what they did, and members would never standup for others being attacked. GW2 community does this a lot. Nobody bothers with the misleading hyping fans. Only those that critisied the product do we ever worry about misinformation.

Just like the fans that claim that GW2 has aim based combat like Tera and MO. Lol. Yeah, that' kind of misinformation is ok, right?

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Since last BWE, ive readen lots of reviews by people who claim they took part in it, some positive, some not so much. Among the second, you find some from people who clearly played the game and found it was not their cup of tea (generally people expecting a more sandboxy feel ) and people who , for reasons i cant even begin to understand, havent really touched it but claim they have in an effort to give substance to what it could have been an otherwise valid critic ("im not going to try GW 2 because of...." is valid. Claiming a first hand experience you dont have is not)

I propose a simple suggestion to give credibility to any GW2 review: post the name of your nandle. The one you use to post in the official forums. Ofc there are ways around this, but its better than nothing. As i believe by preaching by example, my forum name is seventh son (i havent put the id number. Lets keep something to ourselves)

That is a bit too much. If someone seems to have no clue of the games mechanics then it is a valid question but assuming everyone is lying seems extreme to me.

Originally posted by MMO_REVIEWER

Why not just say read instead of readen.

Im spanish, my english is not that good.

Originally posted by Loke666

That is a bit too much. If someone seems to have no clue of the games mechanics then it is a valid question but assuming everyone is lying seems extreme to me.

I didn't really get the impression he honestly thinks everyone is lying, just that there are quite a few of them out there.

I'm inclined to agree, given that on this site alone we've had a few that have been blatanly exposed, but either switch names or just keep trolling anyway. If i'm wrong, and he is trying to suggest that all negative criticism of GW2 is either a lie or ignorance, then I'd agree with you, however.

I've always said this game isn't perfect, but I've also noticed quite a few people who criticize it for things that either don't make sense, or are just blatantly untrue.

Originally posted by Loke666

I didn't really get the impression he honestly thinks everyone is lying, just that there are quite a few of them out there.

I'm inclined to agree, given that on this site alone we've had a few that have been blatanly exposed, but either switch names or just keep trolling anyway. If i'm wrong, and he is trying to suggest that all negative criticism of GW2 is either a lie or ignorance, then I'd agree with you, however.

I've always said this game isn't perfect, but I've also noticed quite a few people who criticize it for things that either don't make sense, or are just blatantly untrue.

Come on,, name switching.,,,, a few ArenaNet staff members have accounts on this site, and they disappeared once GW2 beta and prepurchase talk started coming out. That was there only purpose on the forum was to keep everything positive and downgrade the negative posters. Many of you don't even realize this been going on right under your noses on this forum. Many developers do this, not just Anet, but there are here, believe it or not. Can't trust every fan you read, as well.

Derek Smart for example, doesn't hide the fact that he post on this forum. But other developers do....they hide it for a reason...

Originally posted by Kalfer

How many people here are posting in the GW2 forum asking questions about everything because they dont want to research themselves. they are satisfied by being told by strangers how it is, how its supposed to be and how it will be. It's a different picture being painted than if they had used their critical thinking skills and researched things on their own. their minds and opinions would be unfiltered, but like Kony 2012 all it takes is some sad music and some cute children to convince anyone of what is right and what is wrong.

Some people are curious and don't want to part with cash just to play in a beta that could be crap. So they use their "critical thinking skills" and weigh up others opinions rather than just foolishly parting with their money and seeing first hand. There is nothing wrong with making a decision based on feedback. You can get misinformation that way but if you seek the truth strongly enough it isn't hard to filter out the misinformation just enough to make a purchasing decision. Even if one doesn't possess the skills to think critically about other peoples experiences they will still be better off trying than just parting with their money without having gained the slightest insight as to if it was worth it or not.

• p_c_sousap_c_sousa Member Posts: 620

for me if we really want to have a clear  idea of people who real played GW2 think about he game, we just need create a topic on official forum when start BW2.

a topic where people rate the game from 1-10 (dont need to give any explanation for the  score because all know that person try the game) and in the end we see the average score. 

i migh gonna do this for BW2. 

• Bushi13Bushi13 Member Posts: 123

I wouldn't be worry about credibility since the game will speak for itself once out on sell.

Don't give credit to those whom are not truthfull, just ignore it or disregard.

Diablow 3, it sucks ...

• ValkaernValkaern Member UncommonPosts: 497

Originally posted by Valkaern

Honestly I believe you havnt seen much criticism of GW2 on this forum and guru, is because the community of GW2 is far more radically offensive and sensitive to negative talk on about GW2. Over the pass few months, we even saw large threads that defended stuff and made things positives, that would normally be considered negatives on any other MMO that would come out.

Honestly, this community is under a hive mind. We saw this on guru, in which the community never lashed out against the mods, until that major "Anet will have an official GW2 forum" thread came ountin the news section, which even forced a mod to come over to this site to argue. Hivemind made it cool for mods to do what they did, and members would never standup for others being attacked. GW2 community does this a lot. Nobody bothers with the misleading hyping fans. Only those that critisied the product do we ever worry about misinformation.

Just like the fans that claim that GW2 has aim based combat like Tera and MO. Lol. Yeah, that' kind of misinformation is ok, right?

Possibly, but one thing that I'm absolutely sure of is that the most astute and accurate criticisms I have seen were on the official forums rather than here.

Those people at least seem to have their finger on what could actually be issues for some. 

The majority of GW2 negative posts here haven't really hit very close to the bone and more often than not have made it clear that the person taking issue was misinformed on some mechanics (for example, people under the impression that because one could buy gold with gems, they  assumed it would flood the market with gold, not understanding that gold is already in the system from players trading their gold for gems, and that new gold is not generated). Of course when people correct them and point this out, they either deny it, or drop it and look for a new weapon. Either way it becomes a discussion not worth having, no one stands to learn anything.

Not to embarass you, but, you seem to misunderstand the fact that GW2 does allow for using abilities without having to lock on to a target and  that you can in fact point in a certain direction, fire without a target, and hit the first thing in LoS :) If that's not what aim based combat is you'll have to clarify what actually does qualify.

I mean, it's not even debatable, it's there in game for anyone to see and test. 

While I only tried MO for about 10 minutes, I spent the same time in Tera (a bit less in Tera overall) that I did in GW2 so far, and the difference wasn't really in the aiming from what I saw, but more in how clunky and jerky Tera was and how fluid GW2 was.