Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Are you kidding me!!

2»

Comments

• teakboisteakbois Member Posts: 2,154

Originally posted by VultureSkull

What surprises me is that no producer/softwarehouse looked at Vangard and said we should copy it.

Instead they copy Wow and the likes and there are a 100 and 1 of those type of games, Aion , Rift, GW, SWTOR, etc etc are essentially skins of the same game, that is why I for one get tried of them after a month or so.

But nothing else with the depth of play as Vanguard.

It there was then perhaps Sony would have realised what a gem they had and given it a bit more love. Oh well I think once it goes F2P these devs will open their eyes and realise that there is a massive market out here that craves for a indepth fantasy MMO.

Who is going to fund a game based on a game that had less than 25k subscribers *after* it was fixed up and playable?

Sony gave Vanguard plenty of love over its first 2 years, but people kept jumping ship and they were losing too much money to keep investing n a game that showed no signs of success at all despite strong word of mouth.   People have this impression the the population left because the game was abandoned, but the reality is the game was abandoned because the population left.

Whats surprising is that no one has even made an attempt to copy EQ, the only game similar in feel is VG and thats due largely to McQuaid.  The grouping mechanics in EQ are still the best in the business.

• sadeyxsadeyx Member UncommonPosts: 1,555

Originally posted by teakbois

People have this impression the the population left because the game was abandoned, but the reality is the game was abandoned because the population left..

This is utter nonsense.

Development was slow,  decisions to merger servers was slow, the refusal to do anything at all with pvp, Silius himself many times commented on Sony putting him and his teams onto other projects.   The very fact that its the last mmo to be converted to f2p is evidence of the fact.   It should have been the first.  I could go on and on.

The community were die hard, and your comment spits in their faces.

Vangaurd is now dusty and old, I loved it, but now I look at it and its a sad witherd mmo showing signs of being hacked, modded patched and alterd from different devs that were rotated in and out of the product for years.

I've good memories of Vangaurd,  and thats where they will stay.

• delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081

Originally posted by sadeyx

Originally posted by teakbois

People have this impression the the population left because the game was abandoned, but the reality is the game was abandoned because the population left..

This is utter nonsense.

Development was slow,  decisions to merger servers was slow, the refusal to do anything at all with pvp, Silius himself many times commented on Sony putting him and his teams onto other projects.   The very fact that its the last mmo to be converted to f2p is evidence of the fact.   It should have been the first.  I could go on and on.

The community were die hard, and your comment spits in their faces.

Vangaurd is now dusty and old, I loved it, but now I look at it and its a sad witherd mmo showing signs of being hacked, modded patched and alterd from different devs that were rotated in and out of the product for years.

I've good memories of Vangaurd,  and thats where they will stay.

The utter nonsence is really utter nonsence.

I think the poster above was right. Thousands here on mmorpg.com alone had tried Vanguard, loved it and left for population reasons alone.

It's SOE's fault and theirs alone for lack of advertisement. It's SOE's responsibility and SOE's alone for not trying to bring players back all at once. They never even tried. Up until just a year ago SOE would give past players free time. Yet they would never tell anyone.  You would have to at randomly log into your station pass to notice it.

EVEN SO, THEY ONLY OFFERED THIS TO THE SAME PAST PLAYERS, OVER AND OVER AGAIN !!!!!

A rally to bring in players would be the responsibility of one source, and that would have to be SOE. Random followers of Vanguard here or any where else can not do this effectively....Sorry this is just a fact...SOE must do this and never did, in fact SOE NEVER REALLY DID ANYTHING. or at least anything that would cost them extra marketing money.

SOE sucks !!!!

• FangrimFangrim Member UncommonPosts: 616
    None of SOE's games are marketed in England.Even EQ2,after I had bought the original version and then the 1st expansion they didn't even sell future expansions in game shops.I am guessing its like this all over europe.Simply terrible to do this to imop great games while lesser games get overhyped and more players.Really sad.

• HachlathHachlath Member UncommonPosts: 55

One of the best MMOS, one of the best communities. Who's waiting for VG becoming F2P here ? i'm waiting for the relaunch of one of the last real mmo. SOE please hurry, VG needs more players . image

• BrooksTechBrooksTech Member Posts: 163

Sylvarii,

Just Jumping in here to give you a /hat tip for your sig.  Any referance to Tad Williams is indication of a true sage.

For myself, toss me a Jordan or Williams book over a video game any day.

• ClerigoClerigo Member UncommonPosts: 400

Sadly the only big name mmo i have never tried...dont know why..

• MutamiMutami Member UncommonPosts: 20

I will be one of the new players when it goes F2P, I enjoy massive worlds immensly.  Lets hope it comes out before GW2 release or you may not see me on VSH.  

• blastermasterblastermaster Member UncommonPosts: 259

Great game, played it at launch and was astonished by it's depth and scale. Had to cancel because of performance issues..

Came back when they added the Newbie Isle and free trial (had a new PC then), and since it ran ok, I subbed and got hooked. I convinced a couple friends to give it a shot and we ended playing for 5+months (which is long for some of them with short attention span..). Group dynamic is fun for people who like to have a specific role (trinity), and all the various system (crafting, diplo,etc.) are great fun and give you lots of different things to do aside from "adventuring" .

Building my first boat was very satisfying! It's still my best "crafting moment" in any game. (Have to go through a long quest to learn how to do each parts,etc.).

Count me in on the "I'll join back when it's F2P!" crowd. Awsome game that has the "mmo roots" that made me fell in love with the genre in the first place.

• ClerigoClerigo Member UncommonPosts: 400

Originally posted by blaster101

Great game, played it at launch and was astonished by it's depth and scale. Had to cancel because of performance issues..

Came back when they added the Newbie Isle and free trial (had a new PC then), and since it ran ok, I subbed and got hooked. I convinced a couple friends to give it a shot and we ended playing for 5+months (which is long for some of them with short attention span..). Group dynamic is fun for people who like to have a specific role (trinity), and all the various system (crafting, diplo,etc.) are great fun and give you lots of different things to do aside from "adventuring" .

Building my first boat was very satisfying! It's still my best "crafting moment" in any game. (Have to go through a long quest to learn how to do each parts,etc.).

Count me in on the "I'll join back when it's F2P!" crowd. Awsome game that has the "mmo roots" that made me fell in love with the genre in the first place.

Why did u wrote that?? Know i have an urge to go play this game...damn...i cant be spending money on every game....

• NergleNergle Member UncommonPosts: 253

My fondest memories are from level 1-49. The quests and dungeons were well thought out and fun for the most part. When I hit level 50 and had to grind 5 more levels through grinding a gabillion mobs for armor and weapons I cancelled my account and moved on.

After level 50 game severly went down hill "fun factor" for me and I realized since Silius was turning adventuring into crafting ( a got damn grind fest) it was far from its' original design. I hope F2P brings life into the game and gives it funds in order to progress in a different direction than what Silius has given it.

• TortanicTortanic Member Posts: 85

Depends on how much they hose it up with F2P.

If it's like EQ2's model it won't do anything - if it's closer to DCOU or AO's it'll do okay.

• DissolutionDissolution Member Posts: 210
    Originally posted by Tortanic

Depends on how much they hose it up with F2P.If it's like EQ2's model it won't do anything - if it's closer to DCOU or AO's it'll do okay.

To be honest, I think the major thing F2P will accomplish is getting some of the older generation MMO enthisuasts into the game to try it. Most people just won't try Vanguard for a subscription fee with all the bad press and history of unplayability from Beta to release. Once they do I am pretty sure the type of player who likes the older template of MMO's will sub.

The younger players who require the dazzle of the modern themepark and the requirement to have everything spelled out for them/handed to them will complain for a little while and leave. This game has a target market within the genre, but it most likely will not be for everyone.

• wrightstufwrightstuf Member UncommonPosts: 659

Any plans for graphics update? i tried it like a year ago and it was painful to look at. graphics so old looking, they needed to be carbon dated...sorry, but i just cant play an mmo these days with ancient graphics

• DissolutionDissolution Member Posts: 210
    Originally posted by wrightstuf

Any plans for graphics update? i tried it like a year ago and it was painful to look at. graphics so old looking, they needed to be carbon dated...sorry, but i just cant play an mmo these days with ancient graphics

I do not think the graphics in this game are bad at all. In fact, Vanguard has some of the best scenery Ihave seen in any game. I play with maxed settings though.However, you cannot expect a game released in 2007 to be compeitive graphically with a game in 2012. From my experience, ultra modern graphics doesnt cover up "suck", so its a trade-off I suppose.

• LetsinodLetsinod Member UncommonPosts: 385

VG has a ton of things wrong with it.  Graphics are not one of them.  Scenery is unreal.   Character models could be brushed up a bit. 

• UtukuMoonUtukuMoon Member Posts: 1,066

Originally posted by BrooksTech

Sylvarii,

Just Jumping in here to give you a /hat tip for your sig.  Any referance to Tad Williams is indication of a true sage.

For myself, toss me a Jordan or Williams book over a video game any day.

Hehe Thanks.

Seems me and you are on the same page my friend,great books and fantastic characters.Jordon,Williams are two of my favorite authours but i really do have a soft spot for Memory,Sorrow and Thorn.image

Have you read Shadowmarch,another great write up from Tad Williams.

• delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081

Originally posted by wrightstuf

Graphics are Ok......SOE don't touch the graphics !!!!! 

Just like EQ2 things seem out of place, buildings are odd shaped, shore lines seem as if they are made with a straight edge, rocks and trees at times seem as if they are floating.  But on another note draw distance is amazing and leafs on trees sparkle.

HOWEVER, because of players asking for better graphics and getting their way.  All mmos for the past few years are crap because of it.  Too much time money and energy is spent with developers giving us graphics.  Players of video games are shooting them selfs in the foot.  Now we have crap small zones, instanced areas and paths...But " Hay, they look nice ". Then every one can't figure out why they quit after 30 days.

If you would like good graphics play Age of Conan, SWTOR, or now we have The Secret World and I dar you to play longer than 30 days..........But " Hay they look nice ".  This is what you get with too many resources put on graphics.

Here is how it goes :

Graphics / crappy game play.........../...................................................Open world / Good game play

You cant have both, it works like a slider. 

Vanguard has it's shear of problems, same problems as EQ2.  First are fore most a  crappy engine, a game that was pushed out the door too fast. And good graphics for it's time.

SOE......Don't pay attention to players asking for better graphics. Work on better coding, and more game play.  Players don't know whats good for them.  After all you don't give a three year old a big bag of candy and a cup of coffee.

• InFlamestwoInFlamestwo Member Posts: 662

I played it for 2 years but the  community crashed and there wasn't much to do. If they give us more PvP, new low-mid lvl content, PvP servers, PvP zones and better looking gear. + it goes free to play soon, i will start playing it again.

• DarbiiRueDarbiiRue Member UncommonPosts: 832

I subbed recently and unfortunately couldn't get into it this time. It wasn't VG's fault, I'm in a complete rut at the moment.

I wish it was going F2P sooner rather than later, because I'd love to hop into it now, of course, now that my sub has lapsed. Haha. Reading this whole thread has me itching to hop in. :P