Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why is there a date restriction on game install?

bronecarbronecar Member Posts: 685

Don't remember seeing that before, what could possibly be the reason behind it?

Comments

• Munkyman1Munkyman1 Member Posts: 221

So bad people don't install the game and make it work w/o Blizzards thumbs up.

• oubersoubers Member UncommonPosts: 855

i also tought it was a bit weird not to be able to install it.

Yes...because no one could ever set up a private server game.....

• oubersoubers Member UncommonPosts: 855

the munkey man is right......dont underestemate these guys who crack games.

• RednecksithRednecksith Member Posts: 1,238

Originally posted by Aori

I would assume it was to prevent the cinematics from being up to soon.

Funny thing about that is, there's already pieces of spoilerrific cinematics up on tube sites across the web, presumably from folks who got their CE's early and watched the 'behind the scenes' DVD.

I've tried to avoid them, but unfortunately got a few things spoiled already :(

Yep, there is no 100% secure anything on a computer when internet gets involved. Just look at those fighter games that had locked content opened up early...fact is you can't trust everyone to be honest.

• bronecarbronecar Member Posts: 685

Originally posted by Rednecksith

Funny thing about that is, there's already pieces of spoilerrific cinematics up on tube sites across the web, presumably from folks who got their CE's early and watched the 'behind the scenes' DVD.

Haha, I got totally ''spoiled''.

However, to me, Diablo was never so much about story as it was about combat, so I am fine with that :)

Edit: Ups, forgot to add loot; yep, I am a loot whore :(

Originally posted by bronecar

Originally posted by Rednecksith

Haha, I got totally ''spoiled''.

However, to me, Diablo was never so much about story as it was about combat, so I am fine with that :)

Ya I have been so careful to not watch anything that may even be a 4th cousin to Diablo 3 lol, totally don't want to ruin anything.

• SuperXero89SuperXero89 Member UncommonPosts: 2,551

There are already private servers for Diablo 3

• pirateshakepirateshake Member Posts: 43

its probably just an install timed by the internal bios clock. Change it to the release date and

...profits?

let us know if it works out for ya.

• expressoexpresso Member UncommonPosts: 2,218

The install is timed so data cannot be data mined and posted on utube.

As to pirate servers if for some reason some decides to try and get one working it will be just like wow servers with the ability to run round an empty world unless the pirates create content and the content thy do create will be buggy.

Don't hold out for a hacked single player D3 it will never happen, D3 just like an mmo is driven by the server take the server away and you take the content away.

• dubyahitedubyahite Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    It's obviously an evil Blizzar conspiracy to dumb down the planet and take away all of our skill treez!!!

Shadow's Hand Guild
    Open recruitment for

The Secret World - Dragons

Planetside 2 - Terran Republic

Tera - Dragonfall Server

http://www.shadowshand.com

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916

Originally posted by expresso

The install is timed so data cannot be data mined and posted on utube. . As to pirate servers if for some reason some decides to try and get one working it will be just like wow servers with the ability to run round an empty world unless the pirates create content and the content thy do create will be buggy. . Don't hold out for a hacked single player D3 it will never happen, D3 just like an mmo is driven by the server take the server away and you take the content away.

I know that Starcraft 2 which could only be played online was cracked on release date so people could play the single player. How's Diablo 3 any different?

Originally posted by dubyahite

It's obviously an evil Blizzar conspiracy to dumb down the planet and take away all of our skill treez!!!

OF course it is!!! It's all about the skill treezzzz!!!

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• MikkelBMikkelB Member Posts: 240

Originally posted by fivoroth

The install is timed so data cannot be data mined and posted on utube. . As to pirate servers if for some reason some decides to try and get one working it will be just like wow servers with the ability to run round an empty world unless the pirates create content and the content thy do create will be buggy. . Don't hold out for a hacked single player D3 it will never happen, D3 just like an mmo is driven by the server take the server away and you take the content away.

I know that Starcraft 2 which could only be played online was cracked on release date so people could play the single player. How's Diablo 3 any different?

Starcraft 2 is different, because all the relevant data is installed on your PC. Diablo 3 only gets the basic (textures, cutscenes, music, etc.) installed and it seems that the critical data (stats, droprates, spawnrate, etc?) comes from the server. Without that information, you're probably dependant on emulators and the likes. I've seen a few flooting around for the beta, but I'm dubious of their quality.

What Blizzard is doing now, is similar to what Steam does with pre-releases. They allow you to install most of the game, while handing out the crucial bits on the release date. Blizzard is a bit different, that it doesn't let you install. Chances are that the .exe and some other relevant files need to be downloaded too later on.

My biggest fear is that my install data is corrupted and I need to download it all anew. I'm planning to get up somewhat earlier then normal tomorrow, just to get my first taste of Diablo 3 before heading to work image

• expressoexpresso Member UncommonPosts: 2,218

Originally posted by fivoroth

SC2 had an offline single player mode, you did not need to be online for single player, D3 does not have an offline single players mode, thats how they're different.