Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What class will you choose as your main or initial character for live?

CallsignVegaCallsignVega Member UncommonPosts: 288

We have a race poll, time to feel out where the bulk of people will be going for classes... 

Comments

• IrusIrus Member Posts: 774

I really feel like I'd have to try them first. Can't really say for sure right now, especially since you can play a lot of the classes very differently.

I'm kinda going for a warrior or engineer at the moment.

• QuenchsterQuenchster Member Posts: 450

I'm going to play a warrior. I really like the idea of using a shield and/or rifles. The engineer can also use both of those weapons, but the warrior is more about weapon swapping while the engineer is about using toolkits.

• BadaboomBadaboom Member UncommonPosts: 2,380
    I'm going to play the thief and will make every elementalist I see wish that they rolled one too.
  • FionFion Member UncommonPosts: 2,348

In every poll Ele is top, I think for a few reasons, one big one being that the Elementalist has a lot of skills to use. But I think the number of 'main' Eles will drop as people realize just how much skill the class requires in PvP and even PvE, and how micro-management focused it is. Some, like myself, enjoy that complexity. But I think a lot of folks who think 'ele' before actually playing them, are folks who will switch their mains before to long.

Oh and FYI, it's Profession, not Class. ;)

• mysticmousemysticmouse Member UncommonPosts: 146

mesmer or engineer  both look fun to me

• MaephistoMaephisto Member Posts: 632

I am going to roll a ranger and stay a ranger.

That being said, I hope they nerf greatsword damage while at the same time fixing the minor problems pets have currently.  I would like to see increased toughness/vitality for  most pets.

Although, I can accept the fact that maybe I have been using pets wrong and maybe they arent broken at all.

• Ashen_XAshen_X Member Posts: 363

Hmm, before the first weekend beta event I would have said definitely Ranger. Ranger was my main in GW1. After seeing the implementation of Ranger in GW2 I am not so sure anymore. I found the profession to be decidedly underwhelming. Perhaps Mesmer or Thief instead. On the other hand Ranger(ish) classes are my preference in every MMO I've played so I may just opt to deal with my dissatisfaction with the profession here and stick with it.

When all has been said and done, more will have been said than done.

• KhrymsonKhrymson Member UncommonPosts: 3,090

I really thought I wanted to play Mesmer as my main going into the beta weekend, but after trying Warrior I like that profession better, at least for my main.  I really like to get in and stand toe-to-toe with enemies and you really couldn't do that at all with Mesemer unless you wanted to die alot.

I briefly gave Engineer and Guardian a try, but not enough to sway my Warrior main decision for now.  I'll definitely be trying the other professions again on Mon though...

• RedempRedemp Member UncommonPosts: 1,136

Engineer .... I'm addicted to a profession that requires non-stop work to play well. People who half-ass the engineer will give everyone bad impressions of it. I also like the Swiss army knife style of ...  Yeah, I can do that to.

• ShaikeShaike Member UncommonPosts: 301

Necro for me all the way!!!!

Nice - not a lot of those here... more to kill.. hehe :-)

Just my 2 cents...

• ThorkuneThorkune Member UncommonPosts: 1,969

I normally have a hard time choosing a class, but this one is easy...Human Engineer. I was an Engineer in the Army and I have always been fond of any class that deals with explosives and gadgets.

• joocheesejoocheese Member Posts: 845

Asura Elementalist <-- Main

Charr Enginner <------- 2nd

Norn Guardian <-------- 3rd

Human Mesmer <------ 4th

Sylvari Ranger <--------- 5th

lol... I got my work cut out for me haha

• doragon86doragon86 Member UncommonPosts: 589

I'll be rolling a thief, simply because I always play the stealthy class across whatever game I play if applicable. 

"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
    And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:
    And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
    And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"
    ~Lord George Gordon Byron

• CallsignVegaCallsignVega Member UncommonPosts: 288

I played each class for at least an hour in their LvL 80 "buffed" PvP status during the last beta and here are some thoughts:

Guiardian: Definitely a punching bag but really have to run after people a lot. Don'y particularly care for the up in your face type gameplay, especially with all the particle effects blowing up in your face you cannot see what is going on.

Warrior: Played a rifle heavy warrior and really liked it. You have some of the toughness of a tank yet can stay at range. Each individual shot doesn't do much but they shoot fast. Kinda like the machinegun class. 

Ranger: Was definitely set on going Ranger before the beta but it underwhelmed me quite a bit. Pet's that die if you sneeze at them and bow's that do so-so damage. Not really interested in playing a sword melee ranger which I hear is pretty powerful. 

Elementalist: With the default PvP build I felt really weak like wet paper and the DPS did not make up for it. I had less than 1/2 the HP as a Necro. Other players could literally kill me in a few hits. After I stopped playing the Ele I learned that the default PvP is just terrible. Maybe it will be better once I give it another shot. I'd imagine having the best AoE will be a boon for world PvP. 

Thief: Was pretty OP'd IMO last beta. Could so some serious in your face DPS. Kinda a one trick poney that I am not that interested in playing.

Necro: Had huge tank type HP. Most of thier spells are actually short distance which I do not like and their staff spells are bleh. I prefer to create a ranged character. Their life-tap potential is much less than say a EQ1 Necro.

Mesmer: I don't like to play this class nor fight against it. Too annoying with the clones and the stupid sounds. It is way too gimmiky for me. 

Engineer: Had a lot of really cool tricks up their sleeve but it felt very clunky. You have to juggle a lot of stuff and nothing is particularly powerful. Can get mowed down by other classes pretty easy. 

Right now I am leaning towards a Warrior or even possibly a Elementalist if I can try them out again with a new PvP build. 

• SiphaedSiphaed Member RarePosts: 1,114

Right now I'm leaning towards Elementalist.  The abilites were very fun, the spell combos great.  And burning things is very cool.

I tried the Mesmer during the BWE hoping I'd enjoy it, but I just couldn't get to liking it.  The clones were way to sporatic and it wasn't very .....fun.  The mirror trick ability even required to being in 2 places to set it off...like a pre-fight set up. 

Ranger was alright, but my pet kept dying during the sieges, which made it feel very useless.   The arrow abilites ranged from weak to alright.  Really wish there was an enemy grappling ability on this one.  Though, most people say that the greatsword is the best Ranger weapon, I never got to try it.

Still need to try the Necro to see if I'll enjoy it more than Elementalist.  I hear great things about them.

• AmegashieAmegashie Member UncommonPosts: 289

I was looking at the Engineer initially but the class failed to impress me during the last beta weekend. It's got an enormous amount of tools, but in this game you gotta pick and choose and I found most actual builds pretty underwhelming. Basically I just ended up working harder for less end product and with the amount of flexibility each and every class in this game has anyway trading that certain Oomph for even more options doesn't seem to be a good deal to me.

At this point that's all subject to change of course, I got a nagging feeling the Engineer will need a lot more work than just adjusting some numbers though.

With the Guardian I was fairly happy otoh, the basic design of the class works fine and they'll be very valued group members in all aspects of the game as far as I can tell. Some of the weapons may still need some serious rebalancing, but that is to be expected months prior to release. Definitely high on my list.

Next beta weekend I'll have a closer look at the Warrior. 

• delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081

I think Necro........however I'm not in the bata to be sure I like it.

• Half_Man_Half_ToonHalf_Man_Half_Toon Member Posts: 156

I am going to be a warrior, Main Tank, Spyker, Second tank Support,Crowd Control,Agro The Boss,etc, Been ther done that and most of all I like to Solo Grind thats why I love to be a Warrior I remember my epic wammo times when i was tanking 18 minnions and 1 necromacer playing pvp or farming Trolls and Ectos on Guild Wars 1, This is how I am a Warrior with pride so I will choose a Norn and be a Warrior, But at the same time I did not play the first beta and Maybe the Warrior on Guild Wars 2 will be more of a Damage Per Second  DPS or Spykers instead of What I want to do and this will be Tanking, So I will look into the Guardian becouse they do have allot of heals and support.

• Master10KMaster10K Member Posts: 3,065

The PROFESSION I initially plan to play is the Elementalist, But I will eventually play all of them.

• GilcroixGilcroix Member UncommonPosts: 262

Without any major changes to classes it will probably look like this. 

Definately going to play - Guardian and Necro.

Guardian I just hope they fix the ranged weapons a little. I kinda split time bewteen PvE and WvW. So if i end up not liking range options i'd still play in PvE. The melee was just that good.

Necro , No pet build was better than expected , very fun to play. I liked all the weapons with the exception of mainhand dagger.

On the fence - Warrior, Mesmer , and Ranger.

Warrior is fun but found PvE melee to be frustrating. It may get better as you get higher and can trait a bit more though. One of the strongest structured PvP classes but i have no interest in that. WvW you kinda have to use rifle which i hate, didn't like bow at all especially the burst ability.

Mesmer need clones not to take the place of phantasms and maybe another mainhand weapon. I really enjoyed the sword and liked the offhands but disliked scepter and there is no other option to match with an offhand. I didn't care for greatsword and didn't get a chance to try staff.

Ranger just needs pet fixed. It was so bad i just wanted to have no pet at all, but you can't. They were annoying to be around also. Need to let players turn off pet rez icons.

Do not plan on playing at all - Elementalist , Thief , and Engineer.

Elementalist is what i played the most in beta. It is a decent class but it just wasn't what i was looking for. If they put in a mainhand with 1200 range that I could mix with an offhand , so i didn't feel forced to use staff in WvW. I'd consider playing it again. You don't have to have a 1200 range weapon but it sure helps. While in WvW i didn't see any elementalist not using a staff. The other 7 classes can all switch weapons and change from high damage short range to lower damage long range but you cannot. The extra 10 skills just do not make up for this imo. I also disliked the way traits were set up.

Thief was ok , great damage but really squishy. Steal ability is 2nd worst next to ranger pet. Just didn't use it at all. A lot like warrior, very strong in structured but range weapons didn't appeal to me.  

Engineer I have no interest at all, please remove this class and bring back ritualist. image

• RedempRedemp Member UncommonPosts: 1,136

Originally posted by Amegashie

I was looking at the Engineer initially but the class failed to impress me during the last beta weekend. It's got an enormous amount of tools, but in this game you gotta pick and choose and I found most actual builds pretty underwhelming. Basically I just ended up working harder for less end product and with the amount of flexibility each and every class in this game has anyway trading that certain Oomph for even more options doesn't seem to be a good deal to me.

At this point that's all subject to change of course, I got a nagging feeling the Engineer will need a lot more work than just adjusting some numbers though.

I'm pretty much in the same boat as you, I think the correct step for the Engineer is to tweak the numbers .... but fear that won't bring the profession into the same light the others share. I've planned on giving the class one more complete BWE , if they haven't tweaked it inbetween last and this next, and I simply can't wring out anymore viable specs ... I'm going to hang it up and fine a class I can roll from day one. I love the class ... but I refuse to play one of "those" classes that never seems to be where it should. It also really depends on the tweaks they make to the class ... if they work on its stationary abilities only ,  which I agree are in the most need of work, then I'll probably move on. I'm not interested in the Engineer for its turrets ... I'm a mobile sorta pvper.

• ihatepugsihatepugs Member Posts: 61

I wanted a human with an afro.  I can't figure out whether I want to make that one a mesmer or guardian.

• CallsignVegaCallsignVega Member UncommonPosts: 288

Originally posted by Senjinn

Guardian I just hope they fix the ranged weapons a little. I kinda split time bewteen PvE and WvW. So if i end up not liking range options i'd still play in PvE. The melee was just that good.

Necro , No pet build was better than expected , very fun to play. I liked all the weapons with the exception of mainhand dagger.

Warrior is fun but found PvE melee to be frustrating. It may get better as you get higher and can trait a bit more though. One of the strongest structured PvP classes but i have no interest in that. WvW you kinda have to use rifle which i hate, didn't like bow at all especially the burst ability.

Mesmer need clones not to take the place of phantasms and maybe another mainhand weapon. I really enjoyed the sword and liked the offhands but disliked scepter and there is no other option to match with an offhand. I didn't care for greatsword and didn't get a chance to try staff.

Ranger just needs pet fixed. It was so bad i just wanted to have no pet at all, but you can't. They were annoying to be around also. Need to let players turn off pet rez icons.

Elementalist is what i played the most in beta. It is a decent class but it just wasn't what i was looking for. If they put in a mainhand with 1200 range that I could mix with an offhand , so i didn't feel forced to use staff in WvW. I'd consider playing it again. You don't have to have a 1200 range weapon but it sure helps. While in WvW i didn't see any elementalist not using a staff. The other 7 classes can all switch weapons and change from high damage short range to lower damage long range but you cannot. The extra 10 skills just do not make up for this imo. I also disliked the way traits were set up.

Thief was ok , great damage but really squishy. Steal ability is 2nd worst next to ranger pet. Just didn't use it at all. A lot like warrior, very strong in structured but range weapons didn't appeal to me.  

Engineer I have no interest at all, please remove this class and bring back ritualist. image

Could you explain more on the Elementalist limititations? Why would you want anything other than the 1200 range staff? Doesn't the spell do just as much damage at 1200 that is does at 5? Sorry if that is a noob question, but I am interested in the Ele. 

• GilcroixGilcroix Member UncommonPosts: 262

Originally posted by CallsignVega

Originally posted by Senjinn

Could you explain more on the Elementalist limititations? Why would you want anything other than the 1200 range staff? Doesn't the spell do just as much damage at 1200 that is does at 5? Sorry if that is a noob question, but I am interested in the Ele. 

I just prefered 1200 range for WvW because people seem to always stay max range. You do a lot of fighting from keep walls or fight people on keep walls and range makes a lot of difference. Structured is a lot different. you go more head to head, no keep walls to hide you so there i don't think range makes as much difference. So if like me you like scepter /dagger your scepter spells have a max range of 900. So you'll have to always be atleast 300 closer than all the people using 1200 range weapons. Being infront of everyone gets you targeted more. Very bad when you're a squishy class with low hps. I'm sure there are players that will still have no problem with this, i personally just didn't like it.

As for damage and range yes the staff does the same damage no matter the distance but dagger/dagger does much more damage than staff because you need to be closer, just like for ranger greatsword does more damage than longbow. now as a ranger you can take both weapons and switch as you like, with elementalist you can only switch out of combat. So if you go up against say a warrior who is built on leaps and charges ect . . to stay close to you, you are stuck with lower damage staff weapon and cannot switch like other classes can to close range high damage weapons. You do get more skills as an elementalist so do get a few more CC to deal with this. I personally just didn't like it and prefered weapon swapping.

I would recommend trying the class yourself. It isn't a bad class at all , just really didn't fit what i wanted. Might be the complete opposite for you. image

• DrifytDrifyt Member UncommonPosts: 27

You know, during the last bwe i decided to play a ranger, a class I had no desire to play live, but after playing him all weekend I love him! I think i'll try the engineer this stress test. My brother has already decided he wants to play theif but he played with virtually no sleep that weekend lol.