Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Team Diablo III, Torchlight 2 or Path of Exile?

Comments

• AuxiliaryAuxiliary Member Posts: 90

Diablo 3, Torchlight 2 and Lineage Eternal are the promising ones for me.

• NitemareMMONitemareMMO Member UncommonPosts: 239

I myself cannot get past WoW/Warcraft style so TL2's choice with gfx is a showstopper.

Now that only leaves D3 and PoE

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297

Originally posted by Auxiliary

Diablo 3, Torchlight 2 and Lineage Eternal are the promising ones for me.

I didn't include any other ARPGs on the horizon because they havn't been mass beta tested yet but there certainly are a few more good looking ones to watch out for :)

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • WickedjellyWickedjelly Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,990

POE & D3

Probably will check out TL2 at some point but unfortunately due to the ridiculous and unfounded hype associated with the first title I don't have a real interest in that game.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• ArEfArEf Member Posts: 233

Originally posted by Aori

Originally posted by ArEf

Actually he is spot on.. it'll be a fun little hack n slash but there is no persistance with it so it'll get boring for the majority of players.

I Just don't understand his PoE comment of how its for more demanding gamers.. whats that mean?

Again, fairly obviously never played Torchlight 2. Post a picture of a character with the name "Hi ArEf" and then I'll believe you.

Path of Exile is very oldschool and very, VERY hard.

I don't understand what you're arguing with me for? You're just saying I never played TL2 and nothing else. Either you are upset with me because TL2 isn't fun or you're upset because you think it will have staying power for each individual.

As for PoE being oldschool and hard.. if by not trying to fall asleep = hard then sure. The game is to slow paced for me, ARPGs are fun, exciting and countinous slaughter.

So you're admitting you're making a judgement of the game without actually playing it? lol okay.

No, they're not. So, you've not tried any of the games you're making judgements on? Why are you still here? Go play D3, fanboy.

Originally posted by NitemareMMO

I myself cannot get past WoW/Warcraft style so TL2's choice with gfx is a showstopper.

Now that only leaves D3 and PoE

D3 has WoW's graphics, just with a MILDLY darker tone. srsly.

Add me on Steam!

RawrfulCast - My YouTube Channel
    Me and a Friend are Bad At Games :(
  • DurrayDurray Member UncommonPosts: 182

Lineage Eternal for me!

Its what D3 should have been: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UxenADDtB80

• tazarconantazarconan Member Posts: 1,013

Originally posted by tazarconan

From what it appears D3 and TL2 have both bit more childish approach,cartoonish graficks,characters are are uber destroying machines killign easilly everything in their way.  POE though seems to be more dark,dreadfull and mature in its approach with great emphasis and variety on character development which i value above all. Thus i voted for POE.

These are the comments that cause problems. There is nothing childish about any of the games, they just have 3 different art styles.

In diablo 3 there is nothing childish about blooding running out of a decapitated torso nailed to a wall. The details in the game far exceed the other too.

TL2 runs a more casual approach to accept a wider range of audiences, it isn't childish but it isn't gore either. It is just simple fun.

PoE.. the world is pretty good to look at visually, the lighting needs work but its decent. The character and NPC models in general are pretty lackluster and I see nothing impressive in the least.

The whole blatant bias is ridiculous, it is the same vague defense too. D3 is childish and PoE is dark. Rarely an example or explaination.

A typical watch of videos from both games speak for themselfs in terms of graficks and artstyle. Now dont get me wrong,im sure loads of players will enjoy both D3 and TL2. I was just expressing my personal evaluation  from what the games appear to be like and what they offer to players.

Concerning POE after watching carefully videos news and actual beta testers reviews like this one

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/344429/Path-of-Exile-Mind-Blowing.html

it seems to me that POE is closer to D1+2 even from D3 ,which were great games and i personally spended hundrends of hours playing them .

Ah and btw ppl tend to forget something from what i ve seen. POE is supposed to be  A persistent online world capable of supporting hundreds of thousands of players  online while D3 supports few players coop only. What are we comparing here really? Poe is a full Mmorpg + pvp in server+arenas style pvp, while D3 is single player rpg + coop with few friends +queqe for arenas.

• zethcarnzethcarn Member UncommonPosts: 1,558

My avatar says it all but I will also try Torchlight 2 at some point.

• AlotAlot Member Posts: 1,948

From what it appears D3 and TL2 have both bit more childish approach,cartoonish graficks,characters are are uber destroying machines killign easilly everything in their way.  POE though seems to be more dark,dreadfull and mature in its approach with great emphasis and variety on character development which i value above all. Thus i voted for POE.
    These are the comments that cause problems. There is nothing childish about any of the games, they just have 3 different art styles.
    In diablo 3 there is nothing childish about blooding running out of a decapitated torso nailed to a wall. The details in the game far exceed the other too.
    TL2 runs a more casual approach to accept a wider range of audiences, it isn't childish but it isn't gore either. It is just simple fun.
    PoE.. the world is pretty good to look at visually, the lighting needs work but its decent. The character and NPC models in general are pretty lackluster and I see nothing impressive in the least.
    The whole blatant bias is ridiculous, it is the same vague defense too. D3 is childish and PoE is dark. Rarely an example or explaination.

A typical watch of videos from both games speak for themselfs in terms of graficks and artstyle. Now dont get me wrong,im sure loads of players will enjoy both D3 and TL2. I was just expressing my personal evaluation  from what the games appear to be like and what they offer to players.
    Concerning POE after watching carefully videos news and actual beta testers reviews like this one
    http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/344429/Path-of-Exile-Mind-Blowing.html
    it seems to me that POE is closer to D1+2 even from D3 ,which were great games and i personally spended hundrends of hours playing them .
    Ah and btw ppl tend to forget something from what i ve seen. POE is supposed to be  A persistent online world capable of supporting hundreds of thousands of players  online while D3 supports few players coop only. What are we comparing here really? Poe is a full Mmorpg + pvp in server+arenas style pvp, while D3 is single player rpg + coop with few friends +queqe for arenas.

PoE isn't an MMORPG, all PvE content is instanced.

• IrusIrus Member Posts: 774

Originally posted by ArEf

Path of Exile is very oldschool and very, VERY hard.

I'm not sure what's hard with maximizing one skill and 1-2-shotting everything with it for 3 difficulties? (or fun, for that matter)

• tazarconantazarconan Member Posts: 1,013

Originally posted by Alot

You mean like aoc instanced squares? or gw1? Wait.. these 2 are mmorpg's right?

• EmrendilEmrendil Member Posts: 199

I'll probably buy Torchlight II.

• SilokSilok Member UncommonPosts: 732

Originally posted by Alot

You mean like aoc instanced squares? or gw1? Wait.. these 2 are mmorpg's right?

AOC is heavly instanced but still you play with other people in the same instanced so this is a mmorpg, GW1 is not an mmo, you see people in town but you own the instanced to yourself and team, POE is like GW1.

• TheonenoniTheonenoni Member Posts: 279

PoE is a no brainer.  Its free, looks ok, skill system is fun, unique character customization.

D3 may have good presentation but it lacks the formula that D2 had which is what I really wanted for d3.  Skill system is rubbish, cannot make a unique char. Crafting seems fun

Torchlight 2. Have not tried it yet , didnt really like Torchlight 1 because of its dungeon design. everything looked the same with small changes in skins of environment. 

-I am here to perform logic

Originally posted by Theonenoni

PoE is a no brainer.  Its free, looks ok, skill system is fun, unique character customization.

D3 may have good presentation but it lacks the formula that D2 had which is what I really wanted for d3.  Skill system is rubbish, cannot make a unique char. Crafting seems fun

Torchlight 2. Have not tried it yet , didnt really like Torchlight 1 because of its dungeon design. everything looked the same with small changes in skins of environment. 

My dad feels the same as you about Torchlight 1 but loves Torchlight 2. So I wouldn't write it off without giving it a serious go first.

• BanquettoBanquetto Member UncommonPosts: 1,037

Since this weekend, I have now had a chance to play the betas of all three of these games.

For me, by far the most important thing in an ARPG is the basic feel of the gameplay. It must feel good, if it doesn't, then nothing else matters. On this front, I found Diablo III to be easily the best, the visceral feel of the action is just fantastic. Path of Exile I'd rate second - the action feels quite good, but perhaps a little slow-moving? Torchlight 2 I liked the least - there was something about the sensitivity of the hitboxes or something that actually made it quite frustrating to play - I often found myself not quite clicking on a target and thus running towards them rather than shooting at them.

Graphics is an interesting one, given how different the three of them are. D3 has gone for the painted look with soft-focus backgrounds; PoE has gone for the more realistic look; and TL2 has a very stylized cartoon look that in some ways reminds me a lot of Warcraft 3. I have to say, I think all three of them look very nice, in their own ways. Certainly all three have fine art direction and a strong, internally consistent style.

As far as game mechanics go, they all have some things I don't like. I don't like the way that in D3 the only things which distinguish your character are class, level and gear - any character can respec into a precise duplicate of any other character of the same class and level. I would have stuck with some method involving finding runes and using them to unlock skills, so having access to all variations of all skills would be an achievement (like collecting all the skills in the original Guild Wars). PoE I think overcomplicates things for the sake of overcomplication. The passive skill web looks great but I didn't find it a particularly interesting or fun design - the collecting and leveling up of skill gems is a wonderful idea, though. TL2's pet is a shining light - I'd never get tired of sending my ferret back to town to sell loot. But character development seems dated with it's skill tree and attribute buying, virtually cloned from Diablo 2. It wasn't a great design then and it's certainly not a great design a decade later.

Summing up - I have already purchased Diablo 3. I will certainly play Path of Exile at some point since it's F2P and a solid game. Torchlight 2, however, I honestly can't see myself buying.

• nomatics856nomatics856 Member UncommonPosts: 219

Where is this whole cannot make a unique char in DIablo 3 coming from? Just because you get free respecs instead of paid respecs?

IN Diablo 3 for example you can make a Melee monk, a ranged monk, a dodge tank monk, a healer monk, a support monk.

Said for all classes, Diablo 3 has more customization when broken down than Diablo 2. Diablo 2 had a crappy archaic skill system that didnt offer much freedom or exploration.

• DSWBeefDSWBeef Member UncommonPosts: 789

I will play them all, D3 cause come on its diablo. TL2 cause i loved the first one and mods. And PoE cause of its skill system.

Playing: FFXIV, DnL, and World of Warships
    Waiting on: Ashes of Creation

• KushmasterKushmaster Member Posts: 47

PoE looks the most interesting to me, but judging by testers' opinions, it needs more polish. Not sure about that one.

I'll probably end up playing D3 just because its Diablo, and Torchlight 2 in case D3 doesn't meet my expectations.

• Munkyman1Munkyman1 Member Posts: 221

Diablo 3...no contest.

• AxehiltAxehilt Member RarePosts: 10,504

I'm honestly a bit confused that Path fo Exile is even listed alongside D3 or T2.

Both of the class videos I watched showed an amazing lack of abilities. I guess I play Action RPGs for the gameplay, and not everyone feels the same way (otherwise Dungeon Siege would've ended with the first game, given how flat that game played.)

Meanwhile both T2 and D3 offer really interesting looking abilities -- really interesting toys to play around with.

"What is truly revealing is his implication that believing something to be true is the same as it being true. [continue]" -John Oliver

Originally posted by nomatics856

Where is this whole cannot make a unique char in DIablo 3 coming from? Just because you get free respecs instead of paid respecs?

IN Diablo 3 for example you can make a Melee monk, a ranged monk, a dodge tank monk, a healer monk, a support monk.

Said for all classes, Diablo 3 has more customization when broken down than Diablo 2. Diablo 2 had a crappy archaic skill system that didnt offer much freedom or exploration.

What I meant was I can never feel truely different to someone else. You are right, it's just about how you look at it... but you have to admit that having those free respecs do change how a lot of people 'feel' while they are playing. It might just be an illusion in other games but I just have more fun with skill trees... dunno why? I do think it forces you to make too many limiting choices about which skills you roll with though, but that's another thing altogether.

• WarmakerWarmaker Member UncommonPosts: 2,246

Holding off for now, have enough stuff to play with.  Besides, when it comes to Diablo 3, I have not bought a Blizzard product since Diablo 2.  Blizzard keeps putting out info that drives me away from D3.

"I have only two out of my company and 20 out of some other company. We need support, but it is almost suicide to try to get it here as we are swept by machine gun fire and a constant barrage is on us. I have no one on my left and only a few on my right. I will hold." (First Lieutenant Clifton B. Cates, US Marine Corps, Soissons, 19 July 1918)

• Sata123Sata123 Member Posts: 34

With the price of D3 i can buy 3 copies from Torchlight 2 to play with my friends.

If i had 60$ i would propably have gone for a completely different type of game.(maybe a deep strategy game like anno 2070)

• vaeiouvaeiou Member Posts: 39

Diablo III and Torchlight 2 for me because my friends will be playing both.  I prefer Torchlight 2 as I don't have any experience with Diablo other than the recent stress test (which was abysmal, in my opinion).

League of Legends | Guild Wars 2
    Follow me at:
    mostlygamingblog
    Twitter