Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Who is the audience for this game?

Comments

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928

Originally posted by Distopia

Originally posted by Istavaan

Originally posted by bcbully

Themepark with some nice sandbox elements. I think some have even called it a hybrid right?

what are these sandbox elements you speak of because i certainly didn't see them.

Namely the skill system, it is more akin to something typically associated to Sandbox designs rather than Themepark. It allows a degree of freedom, and some associate that to sandbox. Of course some don't, it looks as though you may be a part of the latter group.

its still a trinity system and only offers ways to customize the trinity system builds.. its not like original SWG where I could spend my entire gametime just sitting in a cantina and buffing and progress as a buffer.. its basically just given you more options to build a tank, dps, or healer and allowing you to do some little hybrids but I still wouldn't call this sandbox stuff.. i like it a lot better than traditional pick a class but its still restrictive in a certain sense.

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• IstavaanIstavaan Member Posts: 1,350

Originally posted by Istavaan

Originally posted by bcbully

Themepark with some nice sandbox elements. I think some have even called it a hybrid right?

what are these sandbox elements you speak of because i certainly didn't see them.

Namely the skill system, it is more akin to something typically associated to Sandbox designs rather than Themepark. It allows a degree of freedom, and some associate that to sandbox. Of course some don't, it looks as though you may be a part of the latter group.

that doesn't really make it a hybrid though. swg is/was a sandbox mmo, TSW is polar opposites.

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297

Originally posted by DannyGlover

Originally posted by Kazuhiro

Ok I'm tired of trying to explain in written english why the game is level/gear based. So I figured I'd just go ahead and make a damn video showing it.

In advance I was in a hurry so the quality is going to be subpar resolution wise. If anyone really needs me to, I'll re-upload it in high-def later.

http://youtu.be/oXRpcCVa0uw

Thanks for the info! By your logic, EvE and SWG are wow clones. Good job.

The guy says in the video that he's in the proper closed beta yet all the skill segments in the skill wheel were still locked like the beta weekend. That normal or is it a flat out lie?

EDIT: my mistake, he said he 'wasn't' in the closed beta.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • VhalnVhaln Member Posts: 3,159

Originally posted by JeroKane

How is this game level based, when there are NO levels?? Please explain.

Even SWG pre-NGE had dps, healer and tank roles... just like other sandbox games have.

I think it's because there hasn't been any good sandbox game released ever since SWG pre-NGE that people just have become too used to Themepark games and see everything black and white!

Did I or anyone else in this topic ever say TSW is a pure sandbox game?  NO!

Only thing we tried to say is that this game is a hybrid! It's a unique game, just like Skyrim and Fallen Earth... that tries to step away from the typical generic Themepark MMO's out there, by incorporating Sandbox elements into the game!

But then you guys/girls come in here, bashing me and others for retards, compulsive liars and whatnot... resorting to all kinds of insults saying that we call it a Sandbox game, while we never said that!

In my book (and I have played both Themepark and Sandbox games) letting go of levels and class restrictions is a very definition of freedom and thus a Sandbox element in my book.

Rift still has classes, as it forces you to either choose Warrior, Cleric, Mage or Rogue and so already restrict you in gear and items and abilities right at char creation, just like the typical Themepark game. Having some customisation and different build option within the skill trees of each class doesn't change that very fact!

In TSW, just like back in SWG pre-NGE for example, you have the FULL freedom to wear anything you want, to create and develop your character any way you want! You have the posibility to unlock the ENTIRE ability wheel and max all skill trees on a single character and have TOTAL freedom to create any build you want and change them on the fly any time you want.

In that respect, TSW actually goes even further than SWG pre-NGE, as there you were limited to 300 skill points and when you wanted to swap to a different build, you had to grind out every skill again!

That is a very Sandbox like element in my book.

But whatever.... each to their own.  At least I don't have to resort to heavy insults to make a point.

In SWG, you could be a miner, a tailor, entertainer, or animal tamer.  You could have a max level character, with no combat abilities at all.  Or mix and match all different sorts of skills.  It wasn't all about making a combat character, to grind through mobs or quests.  You could do that, but it was only one relatively small facet of the game.  More than half of it being entirely different sorts of content.

Much like in EVE, or UO.. might have a little more to do with what makes a sandbox, than how many ways you can make a combat character, in a game that's content is all about combat.

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

• elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335

Originally posted by elocke

What?!  I missed that, where was it?  Stage props.....I'm starting to drool here, lol.  Not even Lotro has that much RP stuff and it is usually known for having some good RP and areas for RP.

Ragnar stated that we will get props and theaters that we can use for performances. I doubt this will be in at launch. My CB source says its not in there yet. But in the London underground, above the fight club, there is a giant cage with a mob in it.. waiting. There are spectators and food vendors around the perimeter and there are big signs and monitors that say "Pets Vs Monsters". I have no idea what its about exactly. But if I had to guess... some mini game goodness hehe

Sweet.  I knew I had missed something as I was exploring London.  Which is good, leaves more for my main character to have fun finding at launch.

Originally posted by Vannor

Ok I'm tired of trying to explain in written english why the game is level/gear based. So I figured I'd just go ahead and make a damn video showing it.

In advance I was in a hurry so the quality is going to be subpar resolution wise. If anyone really needs me to, I'll re-upload it in high-def later.

The guy says in the video that he's in the proper closed beta yet all the skill segments in the skill wheel were still locked like the beta weekend. That normal or is it a flat out lie?

listen again he said hes NOT in the closed beta

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• DannyGloverDannyGlover Member Posts: 1,277

And by yours the world is flat grass is purple, and the earth revolves around the moon.
    Feel free to refute anything I've stated by actual evidence, I did it, lets see you try and do the same. No really, I'll wait, take your time.

Im not sure what Im trying to refute. If you look at the interviews with Ragnar and the rest of the development team, they clearly state that endgame is obtaining different gear for different builds. You seem to be upset that people look at it as a breath of fresh air. They get to craft their own gear with the stats exactly the way they want with a build that they get to create any way they want and can change at any time. Some would consider that player freedom. The devs made it that way and are on record affirming that claim. So maybe, Im wondering the point you're trying to make?

I sit on a man's back, choking him and making him carry me, and yet assure myself and others that I am very sorry for him and wish to ease his lot by all possible means - except by getting off his back.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Originally posted by Aerowyn

its still a trinity system and only offers ways to customize the trinity system builds.. its not like original SWG where I could spend my entire gametime just sitting in a cantina and buffing and progress as a buffer.. its basically just given you more options to build a tank, dps, or healer and allowing you to do some little hybrids but I still wouldn't call this sandbox stuff.. i like it a lot better than traditional pick a class but its still restrictive in a certain sense.

What does trinity have to do with what I said? What does sitting in a cantina? For one I'm of the school of thought that calls sandbox elements sandbox elements, and non-linear aspects non-linear.  I don't even believe these are sandbox elements.

That said, many do, and since sandbox is a loose descriptor of a criteria, the actual meaning is going to come down to a degree of personal perspective.

In short respect others views and we can skip a lot of this redundancy.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

And by yours the world is flat grass is purple, and the earth revolves around the moon.

Feel free to refute anything I've stated by actual evidence, I did it, lets see you try and do the same. No really, I'll wait, take your time.

That was rude.  I swear, half this thread is full of people chest pounding.  Can we all agree to disagree?  It's fairly obvious that the definition of sandbox is not set in stone.  Me, I think the game is a hybrid.  It has elements from themepark games and elements from sandbox games.  Real simple.  Silly to be arguing over the label, at all.

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297

Originally posted by Vannor

listen again he said hes NOT in the closed beta

LOL duh, my bad

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Istavan:
    Swtor is the polar opposite of swg
    Tsw is a themepark with some sandbox elements
  • KazuhiroKazuhiro Member UncommonPosts: 607

Im not sure what Im trying to refute. If you look at the interviews with Ragnar and the rest of the development team, they clearly state that endgame is obtaining different gear for different builds. You seem to be upset that people look at it as a breath of fresh air. They get to craft their own gear with the stats exactly the way they want with a build that they get to create any way they want and can change at any time. Some would consider that player freedom. The devs made it that way and are on record affirming that claim. So maybe, Im wondering the point you're trying to make?

Wait... what? I agree with everything you just said. Your the one that seems to be pulling a argument out of thin air. See: "By your logic, EvE and SWG are wow clones

I'm just pointing out that the other guy earlier was a downright liar about the game having no leveling system or gear based progression. I never said the game sucked. Why exactly did you start this argument in the first place? Better yet... over what?

To find an intelligent person in a PUG is not that rare, but to find a PUG made up of "all" intelligent people is one of the rarest phenomenons in the known universe.

• kingotnwkingotnw Member UncommonPosts: 103

My favorite MMO since Vanguard. I've been very happy with it. Apparently their target audience is me.

• LaterisLateris Member UncommonPosts: 1,831

I really like this game and the fact that they are not going for the mainstream market such as other titles I like. My only concern is new places to explore- how often will new areas be added to the game that dont consist of just new bosses. I love exploration, the freedom to build your character within a skill system, and the supernatural. 

I think I am going to start a portal for this game on my site. 

• DannyGloverDannyGlover Member Posts: 1,277

Wait... what? I agree with everything you just said. Your the one that seems to be pulling a argument out of thin air. See: "By your logic, EvE and SWG are wow clones

You seem to be trying to break the game down to its most basic parts. I'm just wondering what you're trying to prove. Did I miss something where people were pissing you off and you had to make a video about gear and levels? If so, I apologize. It just seemed a bit silly. Maybe it was out of context?

I sit on a man's back, choking him and making him carry me, and yet assure myself and others that I am very sorry for him and wish to ease his lot by all possible means - except by getting off his back.

What does trinity have to do with what I said? What does sitting in a cantina? For one I'm of the school of thought that calls sandbox elements sandbox elements, and non-linear aspects non-linear.  I don't even believe these are sandbox elements.

That said, many do, and since sandbox is a loose descriptor of a criteria, the actual meaning is going to come down to a degree of personal perspective.

In short respect others views and we can skip a lot of this redundancy.

thats the whole point though it IS linear very linear in almost all aspects just because its not setup the same way as say wow doesn't change this. I like the way its done here more than say TERA or SWTOR but its still a very linear game. People keep saying how differn't and how open the progression is but I just don't see it. That's all I'm trying to argue

Originally posted by elocke

That was rude.  I swear, half this thread is full of people chest pounding.  Can we all agree to disagree?  It's fairly obvious that the definition of sandbox is not set in stone.  Me, I think the game is a hybrid.  It has elements from themepark games and elements from sandbox games.  Real simple.  Silly to be arguing over the label, at all.

Rude yes, I gave up on polite 3 pages back. As for you sayingg we are arguing over sandbox definitions... Way off base. I'm not in nay shape or form arguing if this is a themepark or sandbox so may want to read back a bit, that ain't the argument.

I am simply pointing out to that one guy that the game is level/gear progression based. Think you may have your posters mixed up.

To find an intelligent person in a PUG is not that rare, but to find a PUG made up of "all" intelligent people is one of the rarest phenomenons in the known universe.

• camil82camil82 Member UncommonPosts: 50

btw everyone what do you think is it worth buying and playing this mmo?

You seem to be trying to break the game down to its most basic parts. I'm just wondering what you're trying to prove. Did I miss something where people were pissing you off and you had to make a video about gear and levels? If so, I apologize. It just seemed a bit silly. Maybe it was out of context?

You failed to quote the rest of my post answering your question. I was proving the OP wrong when he stated no level/gear progression. How did so many of you miss that? Apology accepted, seems you just misunderstood.

• thexratedthexrated Member UncommonPosts: 1,368

I decided not to try beta, but will buy the game. Just looking to get few months worth of entertainment. My reasons of picking this up:

1. Contemporary setting

2. Horror / Mystery

3. Story driven

"The person who experiences greatness must have a feeling for the myth he is in."

Originally posted by camil82

My personnal opinion on that is that in it's current form and with current pricetag, no it's not worth getting. With a lower pricetag or with another 3-6 months of bugfixing, yeah then it'd be worth it.

For me it's an awesome game and well worth the money and playtime.  Far better than the money I spent on Xsyon, Earthrise, Fallen Earth and Aion.  

That being said, apparently this game is a very polarizing experience.  Either people love it or they hate it.  Haven't really seen many inbetweens or people on the fence, although there are some.  I recommend finding a beta key or preordering via somewhere that you may get a refund or change the preorder to something else, in case you don't like the game.

• FenderSaxbeyFenderSaxbey Member Posts: 4

After my limited beta weekend experience, I think it is very much worth playing. In its current state, though, its not worth buying (and subbing and cash shoping).

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,990

That is a tough call for this game. It really is a game some are going to love and others will hate. It is very story driven so if that is something you enjoy then I would say it is. Especially if you enjoy the genre the game reflects.

If your main focus is combat gameplay I would say avoid it. Frankly, regardless the whole way abilities are obtained in the game combat is fairly simplistic.

As much as some are clamoring about the subject the game is essentially a themepark game. However, it is not a WoWo clone. Not sure how some are even coming to that conclusion. Then again some call every themepark game a WoW clone so suppose it shouldn't be surprising.

Honestly, I would try to get a key for the next beta event to see for yourself.

I really question how long the content will last. It was only one area but I easily completed it all outside of possibly missing one or two item quests. Although I will say I had a lot of fun doing it. One concern too for some may be the amount of group content. I haven't encountered any group quests at all. None. Now to some that is a good thing while for others that may be a concern.

As for me? Clearly what there was worked because I was left wanting more when I reached a point there weren't more quests available and couldn't progress the main story further due to the BWE restrictions. I am still not sure I would buy it though until I find out more info as to whether the game's other zones are as fleshed out and hopefull a lot more time consuming yet still entertaining.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

Originally posted by Wickedjelly

That is a tough call for this game. It really is a game some are going to love and others will hate. It is very story driven so if that is something you enjoy then I would say it is. Especially if you enjoy the genre the game reflects.

If your main focus is combat gameplay I would say avoid it. Frankly, regardless the whole way abilities are obtained in the game combat is fairly simplistic.

As much as some are clamoring about the subject the game is essentially a themepark game. However, it is not a WoWo clone. Not sure how some are even coming to that conclusion. Then again some call every themepark game a WoW clone so suppose it shouldn't be surprising.

Honestly, I would try to get a key for the next beta event to see for yourself.

I really question how long the content will last. It was only one area but I easily completed it all outside of possibly missing one or two item quests. Although I will say I had a lot of fun doing it. One concern too for some may be the amount of group content. I haven't encountered any group quests at all. None. Now to some that is a good thing while for others that may be a concern.

thats the main issue I find with these games such as SWTOR. Story based content is blown through so fast its impossible to meet the demand as people finish it. The other issue is putting a lot of resources into the story aspect only hurts the other aspects of the game such as combat. I think TSW did better job making a good atmosphere for the story than SWTOR did but think it will suffer the same problem many had where the story content wont be enough to warant playing for more than a few months. Unless they have some amazing ideas for endgame which I haven't seen anything yet