Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How is Diablo 3 an RPG?

Comments

• xeniarxeniar Member UncommonPosts: 805

Originally posted by neorandom

Originally posted by fenistil

Diablo and similar games (Torchlight , Path of Exile ,etc) since begginings had their own genre -hack&slash .

So nah Diablo 3 is not an rpg. It is hack & slash. 

except you clearly play a role in the game.  monks can set up as tanks/healers/buffs/debuffs or a little of everything.  literally, i see people griping that they dont understand this game they never played, but they saw screenshots from a beta, and feel that entitles them to anonymously bitch on an internet forum.

how does that make it an rpg instead of a hack and slash.?

• ArEfArEf Member Posts: 233

you could hack the shit out of torchlight too, i had 999 all stats and unlimited gold, sure they label you cheater and your scores dont get posted but the point is, it was hardly the end all rpg when you could so easily cheat right in game.

Christ, man, did you PLAY D2? Duping and stat hacks galore.

Add me on Steam!

RawrfulCast - My YouTube Channel
    Me and a Friend are Bad At Games :(
  • neorandomneorandom Member Posts: 1,681

Originally posted by ArEf

you could hack the shit out of torchlight too, i had 999 all stats and unlimited gold, sure they label you cheater and your scores dont get posted but the point is, it was hardly the end all rpg when you could so easily cheat right in game.

ya i used jizelle or however it was spelled, character editor for offline after a couple years of playing d2 without cheating.

d3 wont have any of that, its all online via battle net, so if you try to cheat, whammo, banhammer!

• AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,006

You are playing out the role of a character therefore it is an rpg.

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• ArEfArEf Member Posts: 233

ya i used jizelle or however it was spelled, character editor for offline after a couple years of playing d2 without cheating.

d3 wont have any of that, its all online via battle net, so if you try to cheat, whammo, banhammer!

Rofl. Man, I've managed to hack Starcraft 2 using a simple hex editor. Trust me, battle.net makes nothing infallible.

Add me on Steam!

RawrfulCast - My YouTube Channel
    Me and a Friend are Bad At Games :(
  • scotty899scotty899 Member Posts: 166

Originally posted by xeniar

Diablo and similar games (Torchlight , Path of Exile ,etc) since begginings had their own genre -hack&slash .

except you clearly play a role in the game.  monks can set up as tanks/healers/buffs/debuffs or a little of everything.  literally, i see people griping that they dont understand this game they never played, but they saw screenshots from a beta, and feel that entitles them to anonymously bitch on an internet forum.

you the player are given the role as a hero to destroy bad guys and journey through and evil land gaining experience from battles and discovering new abilities to help you along the way. happy now? RPG's dont need to be like an mmo to be RPG's lol. shit look at dragon quest, you hack and slash in turn base combat and it is an RPG hahahaha. stop with the silly arguements that will result wtih nothing but trolling. AHAHAHAHAHAHA

• neorandomneorandom Member Posts: 1,681

Rofl. Man, I've managed to hack Starcraft 2 using a simple hex editor. Trust me, battle.net makes nothing infallible.

except sc2 offline play isnt in a battle net multiplayer room.  also if you cheat in multiplayer, it will be logged on battlenet and they will ban your ass.

• bronecarbronecar Member Posts: 685

I for one am glad they've given up the point allocation system.

Building up the right character was a chore in D2.

There is no more right or wrong anymore, it's just viable :)

Originally posted by scotty899

you the player are given the role as a hero to destroy bad guys and journey through and evil land gaining experience from battles and discovering new abilities to help you along the way. happy now? RPG's dont need to be like an mmo to be RPG's lol. shit look at dragon quest, you hack and slash in turn base combat and it is an RPG hahahaha. stop with the silly arguements that will result wtih nothing but trolling. AHAHAHAHAHAHA

How old are you, 12?

DragonQuest is a JRPG. There's a massive difference.

Hurrrrr you called me 12. this sums up your posts over the last couple of days  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7rw8zvNv3Y. the 'J' in JRPG just means its japanese. doesnt mean it is not an RPG lol. 

and thanks for comming to a conclusion of RPG's; some have massive differences and others do not. TL2 is different to D3.

im sure ppl will find either fun :D 

• dzoni87dzoni87 Member Posts: 541

I am not  hating on Diablo III and anything (not even planning on playing so i will stay neutral on this one) but i get pretty frustrated when i see people that dont know what RP in RPG means.

Quote from Wikipedia:

A role-playing game (RPG and sometimes roleplaying game) is a game in which players assume the roles of characters in a fictional setting. Players take responsibility for acting out these roles within a narrative, either through literal acting, or through a process of structured decision-making or character development. Actions taken within many games succeed or fail according to a formal system of rules and guidelines

RP stands for Roleplaying. It forms it roots back in early 70's in early days of DnD pen and paper game. You TAKE A ROLE on the character that you create on paper or 'Character Sheet'. Similar to what you do it when you play an acting role in theater on at the movie set.

Only difference is that at PC RPGs you have Character Creation Window instead of "character sheet". Is Diablo III RPG. Diablo serial as a whole never was an RPG. It was all about Dungeon Crawling like Rogue, Gauntlet and all games before it was.

I advise you to go to the Hobby store, get a book called "Dungeons and Dragons", buy couple of those strange dices, get some pens and a lot of blank and graph papers, bring some friends with you along and you will get what i am talking about.

EDIT: forgot about those plastic miniatures, but you can use an those plastic soldiers figurines for kids or coin tokens or whatever you desire to represent your characters on battle grid

Main MMO at the moment: Guild Wars 2
    Waiting for: Pathfinder Online

[mod edit]

but they are still a Role Playing Game. it is not hard to understand. you kill stuff, you gain xp, you lvl up and you get stronger whilst on adventure. go from icewind dale to an old star ocean game - both RPG's. take a deep breath. it is ok

i know you are at the point where no matter what anyone says they are wrong. it is everywhere on your posts. be tangible it will help with decision making in life.

• tharkthark Member UncommonPosts: 1,188

Originally posted by 190192

This is so fucking stupid... ofc it is a rpg. The people who tell you otherwise is just butt hurt becouse blizzard change their game. There is no rules that say that a rpg have too be open world. You chose a class, level up, pick talents and grind for gear.

But...That is not an RPG..Just maybe a small fraction of a real RPG

Just because you choose talents and level up..and hmm..grind for gear..

Diablo franchise is a hack n slash game, since there is no story ..just loot drops and characther grinds..

Some may argue here that there is a STORY, but well there isn't really..The one that is told is really only "flair", nothing you say or do will ever matter in Diablo. 

• dubyahitedubyahite Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    This is coming from the guy that said the color scheme was "pastel"

Take it with a grain of salt. When the game ones out he'll either issapear from here (because his misinformation won't be even remotely credible when he's not playing the game an we are) OR he will buy and play the game and come here complaining about it (which will make me laugh and is probably more likely of the two).

If it is the latter, he'll just be trolling, if it's the former we will all laugh at him because we will actually be inthe game and every one of his false statements will be laughable at best.

OP, Come back here Tuesday and either let us know how you like the game or keep saying the same stuff so we can have a good laugh.

Shadow's Hand Guild
    Open recruitment for

The Secret World - Dragons

Planetside 2 - Terran Republic

Tera - Dragonfall Server

http://www.shadowshand.com

• clankyaspclankyasp Member Posts: 213

Its awesome, whatever that is.

• dzoni87dzoni87 Member Posts: 541

Originally posted by zymurgeist

Originally posted by dzoni87

I am not  hating on Diablo III and anything (not even planning on playing so i will stay neutral on this one) but i get pretty frustrated when i see people that dont know what RP in RPG means.

Quote from Wikipedia:

A role-playing game (RPG and sometimes roleplaying game) is a game in which players assume the roles of characters in a fictional setting. Players take responsibility for acting out these roles within a narrative, either through literal acting, or through a process of structured decision-making or character development. Actions taken within many games succeed or fail according to a formal system of rules and guidelines

RP stands for Roleplaying. It forms it roots back in early 70's in early days of DnD pen and paper game. You TAKE A ROLE on the character that you create on paper or 'Character Sheet'. Similar to what you do it when you play an acting role in theater on at the movie set.

Only difference is that at PC RPGs you have Character Creation Window instead of "character sheet". Is Diablo III RPG. Diablo serial as a whole never was an RPG. It was all about Dungeon Crawling like Rogue, Gauntlet and all games before it was.

I advise you to go to the Hobby store, get a book called "Dungeons and Dragons", buy couple of those strange dices, get some pens and a lot of blank and graph papers, bring some friends with you along and you will get what i am talking about.

Dungeon crawlers are a subgenre of role playing games. There are pen and paper modules for Dungeon and Dragons that are dungeon crawlers. Gary Gygax often used pregenerated character sheets and pregenerated dungeons when demonstrating AD&D first edition.

I agree with you partially. According to that point of view Diablo may be an RPG, but Dungeon Crawling as a whole lacks of RP elements like investigating, puzzle-solving, non combat encounters etc, so from PnP RPG point of view, it can be hardly more interesting than full scale-RPG. Yet, dungeon crawling is part of gameplay that RPGs couldnt be what they are without it. That whole thing is a matter of discussion and goes much deeper than the arguments that OP provides for instance.

However my point is that MMORPG.COM is full of Elitist freaks who plays MMORPGs only for their ego, e-peen or whatever. It came to the point that many of them think that ROLE-PLAYING stands for 'roles' in combat like Tank, Healer etc. and that lack of comprehension is blashpemy towards RPG genre. If they played even a little bit of PnP RPGs, they would know what RP stands for, but i bet they thinks its too much for 'geeks', 'nerds' whatever :P

Main MMO at the moment: Guild Wars 2
    Waiting for: Pathfinder Online

• SysFailSysFail Member Posts: 375

Be careful everyone, the OP might roll a dice on your ass!

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005

I played D1 , D2 and Diablo 3 beta.

Even more I played other hack & slash games as well.

I have beta account in PoE and I am playing Witch class mostly.

Thinking about new 'Shadow' class as well.

----------

Newsflash - In almost ANY game you play a role. 

When you play racing game , you play role of racing driver. 

When you play strategy games you play role of ruler or commander.

When you play games like Alan Wake you play role of detective - yet it is third person shooter + action-adventure game

Alice games series are also action-adventure games even though - you play a role.

Yet they are not rpg games.

Dude. By your defintion 90% of games would be rpg.

I mean Diablo games ALWYAS were hack & slash genre games with some rpg elements.

Why suddenly rush to push it onto other genre?

• ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092

id rather call it a hack and slash.

theres little rpg inside of it

./agree

I bet there's not even ANY /emote incorprorated in Diablo III :p

• dubyahitedubyahite Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    Also, OP must be running out of things to rant and rave about.

This whole topic falls in the who cares category for me.

You could call it a peanut butter and mayonnaise sandwich for all I care. It's still going to be a fun ass video game that I will provide me with many hours of awesome entertainment.

Shadow's Hand Guild
    Open recruitment for

The Secret World - Dragons

Planetside 2 - Terran Republic

Tera - Dragonfall Server

http://www.shadowshand.com

• 190192190192 Member Posts: 6

• mithossmithoss Member UncommonPosts: 225

geh, what a weak attempt to troll. your life must be pretty sad when all you care about is what genre a product falls into or claims to be.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Originally posted by zymurgeist

Dungeon crawlers are a subgenre of role playing games. There are pen and paper modules for Dungeon and Dragons that are dungeon crawlers. Gary Gygax often used pregenerated character sheets and pregenerated dungeons when demonstrating AD&D first edition.

Not exactly, dungeon crawlers are usually counted as boardgames. "Descent", Gygax "Chainmail" and "Hero quest" are all boardgame.

Pregenerated characters are used at conventions to save time, and sometimes in special campaigns. Pregenerated dungeons on the other hand is more or less standard, even if the GM himself usually makes the dungeon before the gaming session.

Diablo have always been called an "Action game" or "Action RPG" but it isn´t really a RPG game. Roleplaying games are about you pretending to be someone else while you play.

Super Mario bros is no RPG since you don´t actually pretend you are Mario when you play, you just steer him. Same thing with Diablo.

In Baldurs gate or Everquest on the other hand the game is made so that you can roleplay. Character development is part of the RPG experience of course but not the main focus. Sometimes are it rather hard to say if a game is a RPG or not, but in Diablos case it ain´t a RPG.

I play P&P BTW, have since 1984. :)

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Why does it matter if Diablo is a RPGor not BTW?

• 190192190192 Member Posts: 6

• expressoexpresso Member UncommonPosts: 2,218

I wonder how many times ArEf has been reported today :p 

This discussion has been closed.