Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Rate your beta experience

Comments

• kevjardskevjards Member UncommonPosts: 1,452

voted 8..i have been fully engrossed in this game,but i do forsee a problem like SWTOR..i noticed that next to nobody was talking on chat.dont know wether or not people were just totally into what they were doin so they didnt really think of it has an mmo.Tbh i have been very suprised,only come across a couple of bugs.the game looks fantastic.combat and models need a little work but apart from that..i am definately going to enjoy this one.

• ChingoChingo Member UncommonPosts: 128

Withdrawing my judgement for the time being.

Top likes:  Atmosphere/ambience/setting/environment.

Top dislikes: (Combat) animations.

So-so: Questing - had fun on the first plathrough when I _did_ not follow the quests pointing to the next place but roamed around on my own and picking up quests randomly on the way.

Open:

• Grouping: I didn't run into any group-oriented content and felt I was playing a single-played RPG (well this was like a starter area, right? right?)

• Longevity: what is there to do in addition to the very basic PvE quest-traing that was available in the beta?

• Massively Multiplayer: Where were all the other players (some channel-system was in place I guess which gave me goosebumps as I started thinking of SWTOR)?

• Launch schedule: On Friday I would have said "no way, never". Now, I'd say there's more than 0% (but less than 50%) of it being possible/smart (based on the technical status alone). I hope they delay the launch for as long as needed.

Overall I feel like we were shown such a small piece of the game and the world that it's premature to make any big final statements. Like having to grade LotRO after play through Shire (doing all chase the rabbit rubbish-quests, too, as a Hobbit tank).

I was positively surprised that the huge, huge problems with the client I had on Friday were gone since Saturday and I had no crashes and (major) glitches since. Framerate was around 20-60fps with all maxed out but overall the performance was much better to me than what I had in the last GW2 BWE, for instance (to be fair I expect the population was much lower in TSW beta though).

PS. Dare I say it? I did miss dodging in the combat:)

Still keeping my hopes up. TSW to me has great potential and the game just needs to be completed properly. The overall setting of the game I think is pure win after the smelly ogres and elves (in one form or another) infesting almost every other game out there.

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005

Originally posted by Mexorilla

When it comes to if we'll split between EU and the US, we're still testing that out. We've seen that if we put a server on the East Coast in the US, we get a ping of about 70, which is fairly acceptable.

ZAM: From Europe?

Martin: Yeah! 

BULLSHIT.

Unless he mean those few people with exceptionally good conection and fabulous routing from UK / Portugal and even that will be miniority.

Most people from those countries don't get 70 ms even if they buy access to service that lowers ping. (usually based on proxy / vpn somewhere in east cost).

Most people I know from UK and was playing with on US servers in some online game were reporting 90-120 ms or more.

==============

I have connection from ISP that take internet from Technical University and generally I am close to backbone , and have very good pings.

Yet I am never getting better pings from US than 120-130 (I am in Central Europe) but ping is not what is worst , worst things on cross-atlantic gaming is that when there is alot going on like big PVP Battle or big fight in Raid ,etc  there sometimes are packet losses (due to long distance I presume, since I never experience this when playing on server in Europe).

And packet losses = horrible horrible lags and 'freezes'.

Now Imagine you're living in some rural area in Europe and you're far from backbone , or that you're living in very density area where internet infrastructure is overloaded or that you're on edges of a Europe like Greece , Russia ,etc 

Having server located in USA IS subpar service for Europeans. Sorry.

• ChingoChingo Member UncommonPosts: 128

Originally posted by fenistil

When it comes to if we'll split between EU and the US, we're still testing that out. We've seen that if we put a server on the East Coast in the US, we get a ping of about 70, which is fairly acceptable.

BULLSHIT.

[chomp]

^The truth. You heard it here first, folks!

• morbuskabismorbuskabis Member Posts: 290

I voted 8. I love the H.P. Lovecraft feel to it. The setting is realy good. Even the questing I like a lot. Im a person that never reads the quests, and just pick up as many quests as posible and finish them while I run through the content.

Since its not possible in TSW (only 3 active quest at the time) I realy enjoy this approach. This way I can dive into the well made story.

The combat is sure not that great. Its hard to switch from Tera combat to this, but the skill system is very innovative and fresh.

I have to admit that I was very sceptic about this game. EA and Funcom are two companies I don't realy trust. Been let down by them far to often. But what I have seen so far, I liked quite a lot.

image -Massive-Industries- Heavy Duty

• HedeonHedeon Member UncommonPosts: 997

reading all these beta weekend comments, make me wish I had time to try it out on my own computer, played it for maybe 1.5 hour then simply had to stop, compared to most people on these forums, I have a high tolerance - usually I find people to be extremely nitpicking, like talking about lag after not experience anything myself that Id think is worth complaining about, but guess am just too used to EQ2, which one of the games people always say have an extremely bad performance.

so actually suprised to not see more flaming of the game that there have been, either way havent rated the game at all due to the short amount of playtime and fact I didnt play it on my own system.

on the computer I played it on the game were extremely cluncky in controls, and it lagged like no tomorrow, even when there only were 3 - 10 around me, didnt ever see more than 15 at the NPCs, and even had troubles zone into the portals world, took about 5 minuttes before it offered to zone me in, and to me looked like the people around me had the same problem.

well never actually got out of the tutorial area, which in itself is god awful to me, go see NPC run 10 meters watch movie, get new quest run afew more meter´s watch movie. Also in this setting I had a hard time accept that you couldnt drive the cars at all, not that it would make sense when the world is so tight, but being able to use vehicles is something that have become the norm of games, actually had abit of the same feel in FFXIV, there were a chokobo stable, but you werent allowed to ride them, then why have them standing around at all? other than the cars, there is absolutely no world interaction, there is trash cans and the sort, but no collision at all.

either way, as said, I didnt really get to play the game, atleast that is how I felt, only spended 1.5 hours in it and didnt feel like I got to start on the game at all, and in the end just couldnt bring myself to continue, out of frustration in how the combat function, had setted my mind to get to the point where the quests become more like puzzles, as Ive read here... but when my friend offered me to watch him play end of nations, I for once said yes to watching.

hope they will have another beta weekend, so can have a chance to play it, without as much happening around me and on my own system, reading people here make me believe the game werent well optimized for my friends laptop

• oubersoubers Member UncommonPosts: 855

i'll give this beta round a 6, too many client crashes for me (once every 30 minutes...longest uninterupted play was 1h40m)

gfx are good and the atmosphere is amazing....realy dark and creepy.....you actually see people stopping when you run into them as they (and me) are thinking its a mob in a back ally......so yeah the atmosphere is realy awasome imho.

BUT these often client crashes and the very bad animations are realy a turn off for me.

More about my TSW beta expirience later this afternoon for those who didnt get to play this beta but like to see a good neutral review about TSW.

• eyceleycel Member Posts: 1,334

Originally posted by Hedeon

reading all these beta weekend comments, make me wish I had time to try it out on my own computer, played it for maybe 1.5 hour then simply had to stop, compared to most people on these forums, I have a high tolerance - usually I find people to be extremely nitpicking, like talking about lag after not experience anything myself that Id think is worth complaining about, but guess am just too used to EQ2, which one of the games people always say have an extremely bad performance.

so actually suprised to not see more flaming of the game that there have been, either way havent rated the game at all due to the short amount of playtime and fact I didnt play it on my own system.

on the computer I played it on the game were extremely cluncky in controls, and it lagged like no tomorrow, even when there only were 3 - 10 around me, didnt ever see more than 15 at the NPCs, and even had troubles zone into the portals world, took about 5 minuttes before it offered to zone me in, and to me looked like the people around me had the same problem.

well never actually got out of the tutorial area, which in itself is god awful to me, go see NPC run 10 meters watch movie, get new quest run afew more meter´s watch movie. Also in this setting I had a hard time accept that you couldnt drive the cars at all, not that it would make sense when the world is so tight, but being able to use vehicles is something that have become the norm of games, actually had abit of the same feel in FFXIV, there were a chokobo stable, but you werent allowed to ride them, then why have them standing around at all? other than the cars, there is absolutely no world interaction, there is trash cans and the sort, but no collision at all.

either way, as said, I didnt really get to play the game, atleast that is how I felt, only spended 1.5 hours in it and didnt feel like I got to start on the game at all, and in the end just couldnt bring myself to continue, out of frustration in how the combat function, had setted my mind to get to the point where the quests become more like puzzles, as Ive read here... but when my friend offered me to watch him play end of nations, I for once said yes to watching.

hope they will have another beta weekend, so can have a chance to play it, without as much happening around me and on my own system, reading people here make me believe the game werent well optimized for my friends laptop

I think the vehicle commet is very interesting, be nice to have something way out of the ordinary in this game like that.

Instead of mounts you could use vehicles that have been abandoned, very fresh idea indeed.  Of  course people would say that was taken from dead island, it worked extremely well in dead island though which was bar far my favorite game of 2011.

• kurtbarlowkurtbarlow Member Posts: 39

Voted 5 because it's good single player RPG, but awful MMO.

• AbdullaDooAbdullaDoo Member Posts: 60

Originally posted by oubers

you actually see people stopping when you run into them as they (and me) are thinking its a mob in a back ally......so yeah the atmosphere is realy awasome imho. 

LOL!  Yeah, for me anyway the game succeeded in making me a little jumpy.   Zombies are kinda easy to do right as far as MMO mobs go, because they naturally wander around or gather in groups around corpses and munch away, but even so they did a nice job with the way the zombies move and react IMO.

In response to another comment above: I was also put offf a bit by the amount of time I spent in the game before I actually got to start playing it for real.  Between the cutscenes and wandering around London and the one tutorial in the Tokyo subway that made no sense, I've never spent more time in a game before I actually got to start fighting, acquiring loot, and building up my character.

• MexorillaMexorilla Member Posts: 313

Originally posted by Hedeon

they plan on doing a beta weekend,  every weekend until launch. 

• starstar Member Posts: 1,101

Highly disappointed thus far - which is even more disappointing because I've been following the game since like.... 2009 and have been anticipating it greatly. The combat is beyond lackluster, the world is dead (yet immersive and incredibly atmospheric, a plus for the game), and after playing GW2 some of the mechanics (especially how mobs are tagged) feel archaeic and poorly designed. I also despise how cutscenes are non-interactive.

I've spent the majority of this weekend making frowny faces at TSW :[

• BloodaxesBloodaxes Member EpicPosts: 4,662

7/10

It peeked my interest enough to buy it.

My expierence is it's a little rough but I like the atmosphere of the game and I don't get what people see so bad in the combat for me it's not bad (Tough I wished more skills where dodgable).

Also the graphics are fine I don't get you graphic whores always wanting new games with better graphics... If it looks good there's no need to keep on pumping in the graphic department it wastes time on the gameplay which is the most important.

Hopefully it will hold me for more than a month then when GW2 comes out I'll have a p2p and b2p games to play for every need.

• KidonKidon Member UncommonPosts: 399

Originally posted by skeaser

Much, much better than I expected. I've actually really enjoyed it so far. I think TSW and GW2 will be my new MMOs.

Wish i had that much time to play, GW2 will be to much time intensive to be able to play anything else, probably wouldnt play anything else either way.

• SnoepieSnoepie Member UncommonPosts: 485

pretty much bored very fast.. altho didn't make it that far..

i don't think this game will have a huge success

• ConnmacartConnmacart Member UncommonPosts: 722

There are to many negatives to be honest.

London is a lifeless city for the most part. The only part that seemed to have any life to it was a small market corner. The rest had static npc. What was up with all the parked cars and not being able to drive one. 

Cutscenes were one sided conversations. I loathed the interactive movie in ME3 and this was even worse due to the lack of interaction.

Kingsmouth felt unnatural. a small cordoned off Sheriff's Office with a few people holding off hordes of zombies. Sorry they should have been overrun after the 5th wave. It should have been a block wide with houses as protection. Even worse with the few lone people who seem to be able to survive regardless of the many mobs around.

They say the game is levelless. I say bullshit. They have simply hidden the numbers, but you still have to level your character to get stronger. Just look at quest difficulty. The fact that you get XP for them. Mobs having different colors.

Mob tagging just annoyed me. I played a melee character and I had mobs I was going for hit by ranged just before I reached them. Even from people whom I helped a minute before so they wouldn't be killed.

Only 5 quests is not enough in my opinion. Having to either abandon a quest or come back another time is nothing but a waste of time. A way to obtain discovered quests apart from having to go all the way back would have been much better. Or simply increase the amount of quests you can take.

Animations have been discussed to death already. Just want to say jumping is extremely crap animated. Anyone that thinks animations will get an overhaul before launch are quite naive. They already have their schedule worked out for launch so anything discovered now will not get a lot of attention.

Not going to bother to grade it.

• BlackbrrdBlackbrrd Member Posts: 811

BULLSHIT.

Unless he mean those few people with exceptionally good conection and fabulous routing from UK / Portugal and even that will be miniority.

Most people from those countries don't get 70 ms even if they buy access to service that lowers ping. (usually based on proxy / vpn somewhere in east cost).

Most people I know from UK and was playing with on US servers in some online game were reporting 90-120 ms or more.

==============

I have connection from ISP that take internet from Technical University and generally I am close to backbone , and have very good pings.

Yet I am never getting better pings from US than 120-130 (I am in Central Europe) but ping is not what is worst , worst things on cross-atlantic gaming is that when there is alot going on like big PVP Battle or big fight in Raid ,etc  there sometimes are packet losses (due to long distance I presume, since I never experience this when playing on server in Europe).

Now Imagine you're living in some rural area in Europe and you're far from backbone , or that you're living in very density area where internet infrastructure is overloaded or that you're on edges of a Europe like Greece , Russia ,etc 

I am not sure, but I think the whole beta has been played on servers in the US. I haven't seen basically no complaints about lagg, so it does seem to be working out well.

• kevjardskevjards Member UncommonPosts: 1,452

Originally posted by Snoepie

And you base that on what..if you didnt play that far into game...how can you possibly know..i mean if its not for you so be it..but you cannot possibly know if this will be successful or not.neither can i for that matter..about 300-500k i think is what they are aiming for..i maybe wrong but we'll see.

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

I agree with most of the arguments presented overhere, thats why the game deserves a sollid 7 from my part.  But i would never pay a subscription and €50 for a box for anything less then a sparkling 8.

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• EvelknievelEvelknievel Member UncommonPosts: 2,964

I gave it a 7 and looking to still buy it when it comes out.

As I stated, if I can get a solid 2 to 3 months in 1 game, it was well worth it. Mind you that I am a console gamer as well, so I am use to the ridiculous prices when a new title is released and most of my ps3 and 360 games are just collecting dust now.

One thing I like about mmo's is the fact of the matter that things can change daily, monthly and yearly, I don't have that option in my console game unless they have decent DLC thats worth it.

TSW brings a new type of creepy atmosphere to mmo gaming instead the of the same bright colored fantasy games we got now.

• elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335

Originally posted by skeaser

Much, much better than I expected. I've actually really enjoyed it so far. I think TSW and GW2 will be my new MMOs.

Agreed.  I gave it a score of 8, launch score will be a 9 while GW2 will get a 10 at launch from me.  Both games hit every spot I am looking for in an MMO, but no sub fee puts GW2 over the top hehe, BUT it allows me to enjoy both TSW and GW2 at the same time.  Of course, I plan to get the lifetime sub so that makes it null, the sub fee...anyway I'm rambling a bit.  I just love these 2 games, but yeah this beta completely took me by surprise at how good this game is, even with the pre launch bugs still in place(not many at all and mostly due to lack of optimization yet).

• kutervkuterv Member Posts: 28

Originally posted by Blackbrrd

BULLSHIT.

==============

I am not sure, but I think the whole beta has been played on servers in the US. I haven't seen basically no complaints about lagg, so it does seem to be working out well.

yeah every thing was perfect =D And if u want to compare TSW with Gw2 like people always do , TSW beta was amazing

• Manic.MinerManic.Miner Member Posts: 44

Originally posted by kevjards

Originally posted by Snoepie

And you base that on what..if you didnt play that far into game...how can you possibly know..i mean if its not for you so be it..but you cannot possibly know if this will be successful or not.neither can i for that matter..about 300-500k i think is what they are aiming for..i maybe wrong but we'll see.

300-500k ? hmm i dunno. Maybe 100k. Its really weak game...  that most players will quit after first month. I think that good reviews are from people that already preordered or are funcom fans.

On most sites there more "this is crap game" than its "ok game". It was much better in swtor and they lost  more than 400k in few months.

• QSatuQSatu Member UncommonPosts: 1,795

From me it's 7/10. I actually think that from the gameplay perspective it's not a very good game. But I love the setting, story, cutscenes and the whole adventure game feel that I'm willing to "forget" about cons. If there weren't GW2 I would probably buy it but I can't play more than 1 mmo. Maybe I will pick it up for 1 month until gW2's release. I really don't know yet. After TERA's beta i felt the same. I loved combat/graphics but didn't like the rest. in the end didn't buy it. With TSW I love parts of the game but don't like the rest.

• BloodaxesBloodaxes Member EpicPosts: 4,662

I just want to say thank you guys for hating the game cause I managed to buy TSW on ebay by bid for $10. (Digital download)

I'll have something to play and enjoy while you guys jump on the next game to hate :)