Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

How is Diablo 3 an RPG?

ArEfArEf LiverpoolPosts: 233Member

There's absolutely no development of your character. At all. It's just running around hitting people from an isometric viewpoint. If that's all it takes to be an RPG these days, then Call of Duty is an RPG.

Add me on Steam!

RawrfulCast - My YouTube Channel
Me and a Friend are Bad At Games :(
«13

Comments

  • neorandomneorandom bev hills, CAPosts: 1,681Member

    and here i just thought this was another poorly spelled "how is diablo 3 an MMO rpg" thread.

     

    well its not an mmo, its a 4 player co op capable rpg.

     

    rpgs dont require that dice be rolled to determine every single stat point you allocate ect.  if you like to play those theres still a rampant following of pen and paper D & D games out there for ya.

     

    and no call of duty isnt an rpg, cause its a shooter.  and yes there are some shooter rpgs,  like warhammer 40k space marine or borderlands, or hell even deus ex.

  • skeaserskeaser Wichita Falls, TXPosts: 3,849Member Uncommon

    It's an "Action RPG" also known as an "ARPG". This a subgenre of the RPG genre. It's been around a while. Games like the Diablo series, Titan Quest, Loki: Heroes of Mythology, Torchlight and Path of Exile all fall into the ARPG subgenre.

  • xeniarxeniar Posts: 805Member Uncommon

    id rather call it a hack and slash.

    theres little rpg inside of it

  • ArEfArEf LiverpoolPosts: 233Member

    Originally posted by neorandom

    and here i just thought this was another poorly spelled "how is diablo 3 an MMO rpg" thread.

    well its not an mmo, its a 4 player co op capable rpg.

    rpgs dont require that dice be rolled to determine every single stat point you allocate ect.  if you like to play those theres still a rampant following of pen and paper D & D games out there for ya.

    and no call of duty isnt an rpg, cause its a shooter.  and yes there are some shooter rpgs,  like warhammer 40k space marine or borderlands, or hell even deus ex.

    Rofl. Warhammer 40k Space Marine is an RPG. I've heard it all now.

    No, RPGs require character development in the way you choose. Diablo 3 is lacking in this and is therefore an RPG.


    Originally posted by skeaser

    It's an "Action RPG" also known as an "ARPG". This a subgenre of the RPG genre. It's been around a while. Games like the Diablo series, Titan Quest, Loki: Heroes of Mythology, Torchlight and Path of Exile all fall into the ARPG subgenre.

    All these games are RPGs. Diablo 3 is not.

    Add me on Steam!

    RawrfulCast - My YouTube Channel
    Me and a Friend are Bad At Games :(
  • fenistilfenistil GliwicePosts: 3,005Member

    Diablo and similar games (Torchlight , Path of Exile ,etc) since begginings had their own genre -hack&slash .

    So nah Diablo 3 is not an rpg. It is hack & slash. 

     

  • skeaserskeaser Wichita Falls, TXPosts: 3,849Member Uncommon

    Originally posted by xeniar

    id rather call it a hack and slash.

    theres little rpg inside of it

    When I hear "hack and slash" I think more of God of War and Devil May Cry games. Much less RPG, in my opinion, than Diablo.

  • skeaserskeaser Wichita Falls, TXPosts: 3,849Member Uncommon

    Originally posted by ArEf

    Originally posted by neorandom

    and here i just thought this was another poorly spelled "how is diablo 3 an MMO rpg" thread.

    well its not an mmo, its a 4 player co op capable rpg.

    rpgs dont require that dice be rolled to determine every single stat point you allocate ect.  if you like to play those theres still a rampant following of pen and paper D & D games out there for ya.

    and no call of duty isnt an rpg, cause its a shooter.  and yes there are some shooter rpgs,  like warhammer 40k space marine or borderlands, or hell even deus ex.

    Rofl. Warhammer 40k Space Marine is an RPG. I've heard it all now.

    No, RPGs require character development in the way you choose. Diablo 3 is lacking in this and is therefore an RPG.


    Originally posted by skeaser

    It's an "Action RPG" also known as an "ARPG". This a subgenre of the RPG genre. It's been around a while. Games like the Diablo series, Titan Quest, Loki: Heroes of Mythology, Torchlight and Path of Exile all fall into the ARPG subgenre.

    All these games are RPGs. Diablo 3 is not.

    So you say that Diablo 1 and 2 are RPGs but Diablo 3 is not. If I may ask, how so? I didn't think D3 deviated that far from the original formula.

  • entityxentityx JohannesburgPosts: 39Member
    Originally posted by xeniar

    id rather call it a hack and slash.
    theres little rpg inside of it

    This. 

  • ArEfArEf LiverpoolPosts: 233Member

    Originally posted by skeaser

    So you say that Diablo 1 and 2 are RPGs but Diablo 3 is not. If I may ask, how so? I didn't think D3 deviated that far from the original formula.

    Character customisation.

    Add me on Steam!

    RawrfulCast - My YouTube Channel
    Me and a Friend are Bad At Games :(
  • wolfmannwolfmann TerraakPosts: 1,159Member

    Diablo 3 is not an RPG, it's just a souped up Gauntlet on speed.

    imageThe last of the Trackers

  • skeaserskeaser Wichita Falls, TXPosts: 3,849Member Uncommon

    Originally posted by ArEf

    Originally posted by skeaser



    So you say that Diablo 1 and 2 are RPGs but Diablo 3 is not. If I may ask, how so? I didn't think D3 deviated that far from the original formula.

    Character customisation.

    How so? Sure, you don't have the stats to play with, but neither does Torchlight. As far as skills, sure, it's rearranged a bit but you still make choices. 

    Estimates I've seen show that each class has MILLIONS of possible skill/rune combinations. Sounds like customization to me...

  • fenistilfenistil GliwicePosts: 3,005Member

    Originally posted by skeaser

    Originally posted by xeniar

    id rather call it a hack and slash.

    theres little rpg inside of it

    When I hear "hack and slash" I think more of God of War and Devil May Cry games. Much less RPG, in my opinion, than Diablo.

    Term hack & slash was afair first used in mainstream after Diablo I release. For many years Diablo I was definition of hack & slash.

     

    It is tied to Diablo like mmorpg is tied to UO and WoW.

  • expressoexpresso mePosts: 2,183Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by ArEf


    Originally posted by skeaser



    So you say that Diablo 1 and 2 are RPGs but Diablo 3 is not. If I may ask, how so? I didn't think D3 deviated that far from the original formula.

    Character customisation.

     

    I dont like to feed trolls but customisation in D3 is done by your gear and the gems you choose to slot into them (stats), the skills and runes you choose to play with ( around 125 per class ) , also 3 passives you choose to use ( around 20 per class ), you can also dye your armor.

    Putting points every level into a pool to stats and going thru a skill tree to unlock +1 defence is fine and dandy but old, over done and yawn.... D3 is trying something new and so far looks good as it lets us concentrate more on the Action than the RPG, yet still retaining just as much customisation.
  • 190192190192 ulsteivikPosts: 6Member

    This is so fucking stupid... ofc it is a rpg. The people who tell you otherwise is just butt hurt becouse blizzard change their game. There is no rules that say that a rpg have too be open world. You chose a class, level up, pick talents and grind for gear.

  • fivorothfivoroth LondonPosts: 3,665Member Uncommon

    ArEf, don't you have anything better to do? All you do is hate on Diablo 3. You've already made a gazillion threads trying to bash Diablo 3. All your threads are stupid, deluded and twisted to suit your own argument. You say that Diablo 3 is not an RPG but TL2 and POE are?

    And what's with the CoD love? Cause you seem to be trying so hard to put that CoD comparision in every single post you make.

    Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

  • ArEfArEf LiverpoolPosts: 233Member

    Originally posted by 190192

    This is so fucking stupid... ofc it is a rpg. The people who tell you otherwise is just butt hurt becouse blizzard change their game. There is no rules that say that a rpg have too be open world. You chose a class, level up, pick talents and grind for gear.

    Thanks for agreeing with me!

    You don't pick talents in D3.


    Originally posted by fivoroth

    ArEf, don't you have anything better to do? All you do is hate on Diablo 3. You've already made a gazillion threads trying to bash Diablo 3. All your threads are stupid, deluded and twisted to suit your own argument. You say that Diablo 3 is not an RPG but TL2 and POE are?

    And what's with the CoD love? Cause you seem to be trying so hard to put that CoD comparision in every single post you make.

    Maybe because Diablo 3 is the Call of Duty of Hack and Slash games?

    Add me on Steam!

    RawrfulCast - My YouTube Channel
    Me and a Friend are Bad At Games :(
  • simmihisimmihi -Posts: 613Member Uncommon

    Read this.

    http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/3811455085

    Come back with decent arguments (even if there's a very low chance not to get banned after all the insults you're posting on most D3 related topics)

  • scotty899scotty899 townsvillePosts: 166Member

    Originally posted by ArEf

    Originally posted by 190192

    This is so fucking stupid... ofc it is a rpg. The people who tell you otherwise is just butt hurt becouse blizzard change their game. There is no rules that say that a rpg have too be open world. You chose a class, level up, pick talents and grind for gear.

    Thanks for agreeing with me!

    You don't pick talents in D3.


    Originally posted by fivoroth

    ArEf, don't you have anything better to do? All you do is hate on Diablo 3. You've already made a gazillion threads trying to bash Diablo 3. All your threads are stupid, deluded and twisted to suit your own argument. You say that Diablo 3 is not an RPG but TL2 and POE are?

    And what's with the CoD love? Cause you seem to be trying so hard to put that CoD comparision in every single post you make.

    Maybe because Diablo 3 is the Call of Duty of Hack and Slash games?

    and?

    call of duty had a great campaign to play (imo) and im hoping D3 will aswell.

    all your posts are are just trying to get people to bite. they are a fair bit but im sure they see through the rubbish you are writing. because if diablo is not an RPG then neither is any final fantasy game,chrono trigger, xenoblade, dragon quest and the list goes on and on and on.

    meowout

  • ArEfArEf LiverpoolPosts: 233Member

    Originally posted by simmihi

    Read this.

    http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/3811455085

    Come back with decent arguments (even if there's a very low chance not to get banned after all the insults you're posting on most D3 related topics)

    "OH YOU BUY GEMS OFF THE AUCTION HOUSE (which is undoubtedly to allow Blizzard to make more $$$) TO MAKE STATS WHICH YOU CAN PRETTY MUCH CHANGE AT WILL."

    That's not customisation.

    Also, the stat system sucks hairy balls. Torchlight 2 has every character requiring every stat (depending on build). Casters can require dexterity to crit and dodge and also for fumble recovery, whilst dual wielding melee characters require focus (the caster stat) to do executes (hit with both weapons at the same time), dexterity for crit rate and dodge and melee for extra damage. Everyone needs vitality for obvious reasons.

    Double up on the stat stuff, too. Torchlight 2's stat system allows you to allocate stats to get gear OR you can wait until the level the gear auto-unlocks for your character at.

    Add me on Steam!

    RawrfulCast - My YouTube Channel
    Me and a Friend are Bad At Games :(
  • scotty899scotty899 townsvillePosts: 166Member

    Originally posted by ArEf

    Originally posted by simmihi

    Read this.

    http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/3811455085

    Come back with decent arguments (even if there's a very low chance not to get banned after all the insults you're posting on most D3 related topics)

    "OH YOU BUY GEMS OFF THE AUCTION HOUSE (which is undoubtedly to allow Blizzard to make more $$$) TO MAKE STATS WHICH YOU CAN PRETTY MUCH CHANGE AT WILL."

    That's not customisation.

    Also, the stat system sucks hairy balls. Torchlight 2 has every character requiring every stat (depending on build). Casters can require dexterity to crit and dodge and also for fumble recovery, whilst dual wielding melee characters require focus (the caster stat) to do executes (hit with both weapons at the same time), dexterity for crit rate and dodge and melee for extra damage. Everyone needs vitality for obvious reasons.

    Double up on the stat stuff, too. Torchlight 2's stat system allows you to allocate stats to get gear OR you can wait until the level the gear auto-unlocks for your character at.

    happy your are not going to play D3 

     

    :D

  • fivorothfivoroth LondonPosts: 3,665Member Uncommon

    Originally posted by ArEf

    Originally posted by 190192

    This is so fucking stupid... ofc it is a rpg. The people who tell you otherwise is just butt hurt becouse blizzard change their game. There is no rules that say that a rpg have too be open world. You chose a class, level up, pick talents and grind for gear.

    Thanks for agreeing with me!

    You don't pick talents in D3.


    Originally posted by fivoroth

    ArEf, don't you have anything better to do? All you do is hate on Diablo 3. You've already made a gazillion threads trying to bash Diablo 3. All your threads are stupid, deluded and twisted to suit your own argument. You say that Diablo 3 is not an RPG but TL2 and POE are?

    And what's with the CoD love? Cause you seem to be trying so hard to put that CoD comparision in every single post you make.

    Maybe because Diablo 3 is the Call of Duty of Hack and Slash games?

    Diablo defined the hack and slash games. Everything after that was just copy paste sauce. The only games which were OKis were TQ, TL (that's pushing it), and Dungeon Siege. Even those were crap compared to Diablo 2.So I am a bit skeptical that games like TL2 and POE will be any different. They will be just another pile of steaming copy paste. 

    The only thing POE has going on about it was that skill map the size of Europe. Did I mention how bad the graphics are? Grim but ugly.

    TL2, I haven't played that but from what I've read I am seriously not impressed. TL was crap. They forgot one of the "cornerstones" of hack and slash RPGs - MULTIPLAYER LOL! TL2 will be copy paste of Diablo 2 again with 4 uninspiring characters, cartoony graphics, nonexistant lore and no real dedicated multiplayer (similar to Battlenet). I guess the only thing that TL2 has going on about it is the mod support.

    Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

  • expressoexpresso mePosts: 2,183Member Uncommon
    Nothing todo this morning ArEf? I get the feeling you're not in the TL2 beta cus you'd be playing that rather than hating on D3. We all near u, u don't like D3 now please move on you're just making yourself look silly.
  • fivorothfivoroth LondonPosts: 3,665Member Uncommon

    Originally posted by expresso

    Nothing todo this morning ArEf? I get the feeling you're not in the TL2 beta cus you'd be playing that rather than hating on D3. We all near u, u don't like D3 now please move on you're just making yourself look silly.

    Unfortunately it's not just this moring, he's been on it for 1-2 days now :D

    Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

  • neorandomneorandom bev hills, CAPosts: 1,681Member

    Originally posted by fenistil

    Diablo and similar games (Torchlight , Path of Exile ,etc) since begginings had their own genre -hack&slash .

    So nah Diablo 3 is not an rpg. It is hack & slash. 

     

    except you clearly play a role in the game.  monks can set up as tanks/healers/buffs/debuffs or a little of everything.  literally, i see people griping that they dont understand this game they never played, but they saw screenshots from a beta, and feel that entitles them to anonymously bitch on an internet forum.

  • scotty899scotty899 townsvillePosts: 166Member

    Originally posted by ArEf

    Originally posted by fivoroth



    Diablo defined the hack and slash games. Everything after that was just copy paste sauce. The only games which were OKis were TQ, TL (that's pushing it), and Dungeon Siege. Even those were crap compared to Diablo 2.So I am a bit skeptical that games like TL2 and POE will be any different. They will be just another pile of steaming copy paste. 

    The only thing POE has going on about it was that skill map the size of Europe. Did I mention how bad the graphics are? Grim but ugly.

    TL2, I haven't played that but from what I've read I am seriously not impressed. TL was crap. They forgot one of the "cornerstones" of hack and slash RPGs - MULTIPLAYER LOL! TL2 will be copy paste of Diablo 2 again with 4 uninspiring characters, cartoony graphics, nonexistant lore and no real dedicated multiplayer (similar to Battlenet). I guess the only thing that TL2 has going on about it is the mod support.

    The graphics in Path of Exile are actually quite nice. The combat is Diablo 2 down to a T, too, so if you think it sucks then D2 sucks.

    TL2 has dedicated multiplayer with saved characters on an account but you can also play multiplayer mods. Up to eight players in a game with mobs and bosses scaling to match you as well as individual loot drops.

    The character classes are really very interesting and fun to play, as well as completely different to each other.

    Maybe read up on or play the game? :D I mean, I know Diablo 3 fanboys are weak reading comprehension, but Christ.

     

    how about like both? that is possible right?  or is that not allowed with you?  *shrugs*

     

«13
This discussion has been closed.