Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Rate your beta experience

Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

A simple poll raring from 1 (lowest) to 10 (highest). 

How would you rate your beta experience?

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

Comments

• skeaserskeaser Member RarePosts: 4,179

Much, much better than I expected. I've actually really enjoyed it so far. I think TSW and GW2 will be my new MMOs.

Sig so that badges don't eat my posts.

• gaeanprayergaeanprayer Member UncommonPosts: 2,341

Voted that I still don't know. TSW is turning into a very confusing experience for me; the parts I like, I absolutely LOVE, but parts I don't like bring me almost to the point of uninstall. There's no middle ground there. I will say that the more unique quests and atmosphere are so entertaining, I anticipate I ~will~ be playing this game at some point. But the clunky combat, terrible acting (bad in a game that emphasizes story) and unexplored, unknown parts of the game still waiting for player review (which are a large portion of it) nearly guarantee it won't be any time soon.

Still gonna take that "wait and see" approach to this, I think.

"Forums aren't for intelligent discussion; they're for blow-hards with unwavering opinions."

• MexorillaMexorilla Member Posts: 313

i voted 7.  i really  like the atmosphere and most of the quests.  but,  the combat is pretty bad atm. 

edit: for spelling.

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

Originally posted by skeaser

Much, much better than I expected. I've actually really enjoyed it so far. I think TSW and GW2 will be my new MMOs.

Sounds like a great combo, as they are fairly different from eachother and from previous MMO experiences.

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• AnzieAnzie Member Posts: 468

After 40 quest with my friend at kingsmouth boring as hell -1.

Originally posted by Spathotan
    The simplest way to put this, is like this. Buying a used/refurbished 360 is on the same plane as sharing a condom in a gangbang with strangers.
  • Pretender00Pretender00 Member Posts: 84

.......yawn

But, after GW2's first Beta Weekend all games are that way.

• PieRadPieRad Member Posts: 1,108

I know some people are gonna be on my ass like there's no tomorrow for this...

But I enjoyed this more than GW2, (chill people - I do like GW2, and I will be playing it) the modern day horror setting is brilliant, and fits my taste so well, although there is quest of the same old same old, the setting, and the investigation missions makes me forget about it, me and some random dude i met did "Something Wicked" quest, and well, this might sound strange, but it's the best quest I've ever done, took us about 2 hours to figure out a 6 step quest, I hope there is much more quest like this one, i was yelling at my monitor "OMFG, THAT IS FUCKING SICK!"...( in a good way ) haha.

I think maybe it's because I'm getting a bit older, just stopping up and do a quest which require you to think hard for 2 hours, and not worry about being behind is nice, and I admit, that might be a flaw in me to worry about such things, but I've always been about getting forward fast, pick up 90 quests do em all in one go without reading anything about them, hand them in and do it again, and I better be 3 in front of everyone else, hehe, that's not an issue here.

I did encounter some minor bugs, I'm not gonna defend those bugs with "it's beta", because the closed beta guys should have caught it, but! there's always a but, they were minor, so not a big deal to me.

I give MY experience an 8, and look forward to playing after release.

• pierthpierth Member UncommonPosts: 1,494

Voted 8, but I'm a strictly PvE player in MMOs so my experience is nothing like someone that actually enjoys MMO PvP. This game has a lot of polish to do before release but what I experienced of the gameplay I enjoyed.

• RyukanRyukan Member UncommonPosts: 828

Voted 8, because I  am enojying the beta but forsee a shakey launch. Way too much in the way of polish and optimization needed before the June 19th launch date. But I fully intend to be playing the hell out of it come launch.

• KazuhiroKazuhiro Member UncommonPosts: 606

It had some really good aspects and some godawful ones. They rounded out into a "meh" experience.

1. Boring combat. (Somehow actually worse than the standard fare mmo combat.)

2. Excellent atmosphere aside from the thousands of monsters just sitting around for some reason.

3. One of the most limited character creators in the industry. Literally 50 or so total combinations.

4. Fantastic and difficult puzzle quests that require doing something more than "go to place, kill x number of whatever and return with 10 magical shaved goat anuses".

5. Claims to not have levels, but really it's still mostly about leveling. However the player power level is much more tied to gear than levels now.

6. Beta was limited to about 50 out of the nearly 600 skills, but the ones that did exist were very very uninteresting and unimpressive visually.

7. Npc difficulty levels were all over the damn place. One npc could be one shotted, while another npc 5 feet away could make you his b*itch. This is further compounded with the developers mixing in a crapload of different things that don't go together whatsoever into a small confined area.

8. Enjoyed a very anti-handholding experience where you pretty much got thrown into the game and were told "figure it out" quests reflected this as well "usually".

9. ABYSMAL client stability. Numerous crashes, freezes, and poor performance even on super powered rigs.

In the end, it was just "meh". I'll buy it after it lands in a dicount bin. But it's just not worth the pricetag with so many issues.

To find an intelligent person in a PUG is not that rare, but to find a PUG made up of "all" intelligent people is one of the rarest phenomenons in the known universe.

• jusomdudejusomdude Member RarePosts: 2,706

I'm liking pretty much everything about the game. Only had a few issues with the client spazzing out. I like the combat, like the setting, like the quests, like the crafting. Awesome game. Will most likely buy at release.

One of the things that does suck a little is character creation.

Originally posted by PieRad

me and some random dude i met did "Something Wicked"

im sorry i chopped up youre post but i couldn't stop laughing.   but,  yes i agree on the missions the investigation ones are so good, that  you dont mind that you had to do a few bullshit ones.

• DannyGloverDannyGlover Member Posts: 1,277

Originally posted by Mexorilla

Originally posted by PieRad

me and some random dude i met did "Something Wicked"

im sorry i chopped up youre post but i couldn't stop laughing.   but,  yes i agree on the missions the investigation ones are so good, that  you dont mind that you had to do a few bullshit ones.

Yeah thats about how I felt too. You put up with some standard boring stuff but it pays off with an awesome quest chain that really bends your noodle. Its acually similar to GW2's DEs in that regard. You trudge through some standard issue quests to get to the good part of the event.

I sit on a man's back, choking him and making him carry me, and yet assure myself and others that I am very sorry for him and wish to ease his lot by all possible means - except by getting off his back.

• friednietzfriednietz Member Posts: 118

I tried the game to satisfy my curiousity and I really like what TSW wants to be as a game. Yet, I gave it a 6. Earlier one poster put it best: The Secret World has great ideas but it's not a fully realized game. This game needs a lot of polish and with its release just a month away it's worrisome.

• ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574

Originally posted by skeaser

Yup mine too.  made the decision today to scrap D3.  I plan on playing TSW as a solo player experience all the way through till I aquire most of my abilities.  500+ abilities should take a very long time.  Plus I'll have GW2 for my PvP WvW needs.  Sounds like an awesome plan.

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

• WarWitchWarWitch Member UncommonPosts: 351

1. Very limited CC. Some of the uglyest iv seen since the days of neocrom.

2. Poor combat annimations.

3. Like the thinking quests puzzles etc.

4. Love the open skill system.

• Manic.MinerManic.Miner Member Posts: 44

Voted 4.

Stupid and boring combat with guns shoting magic and through people.

Horrendous animations.

Simple icons for items and skills.

Highly instanced.

Empty spaces/ rooms areas.

Im 90% sure that templar area is most polished area in game (rest will be bugged like hell)

P2P + Item Shop in one.

Only one good thing are cut-scenes and interesting story/some quests.

• hcoelhohcoelho Member UncommonPosts: 529

the seems to be  bad, i could not get past the weapon choice when my rifle was shooting in a 90º angle. Sorry but i can't get past this... i understand if bullets follows my moving target, its necessary when you are using this type of combat but if i'm facing the wrong direction i must not be able to shoot at all.. unsles is a AoE skill or the combat system supports it. 

The animations are terrible, the jump is awful, combat feels spammy and has no weight to it. The shooting is not god at all, the story seems meh to me, the game got too long to start, this is a mmo not a single player, I'm ok with good story, i'm all for it, but the intro is way too long and tells too little. 

I can't get it... AoC is almost flawless graphics and animation wise, at least on those aspects AoC excels. How they screwd up that much with this game ?

The interface is very neat though, i really liked it feels like my Android. The skills system seems interesting. But thats all, maybe the story gets better and deeper...

• AbdullaDooAbdullaDoo Member Posts: 60

It was better than I expected.

In a poll somebody posted earlier in the week, I voted that I expected it to be a 4 as of this weekend, but I'd put my beta experience at a 7, keeping in mind that it is a beta.

If they fix most of the issues and oddities I've encountered (and will be informing Funcom about), then it would hold in the 7-8 range at release; if not, then it gets knocked back down a point or two. 

A lot more effort was put into the game than I expected.  I was kind of thinking that they would just ride the setting to wherever it took them and that would be it, but the graphics in the playable space are quite good (at the highest settings anyway), the story is developed, the quest system has some kinks that I think need to be ironed out to make it more player-friendly, but the quests themselves are reasonably well thought out compared to many other games.  The combat is about what I expected in terms of the level of entertainment I got out of it (ie not much), but I think the system has some worthy ideas.

• taus01taus01 Member Posts: 1,352

Pro:

1. Quest system

2. Graphics

3. Mood and atmosphere

4. Music

Con:

1. Animations

2. Combat

3. Effects (spells, combat, mobs)

4. Sound effects (hollow, no punch)

5. Character Creator

6. Tortage all over again (everyon goes to the same island)

7. Heavily instanced (Channels)

TOTAL: 4/10

Worth Mentioning:

1. Item interaction is clumsy and still has the Funcom trademark "click a few times before icon shows up" bug. It was in AOC too.

2. /funkychicken . Really FUNCOM? REALLY? Over 50 emotes but the combat animation is still crap? Get your priorities right.

"Give players systems and tools instead of rails and rules"

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

Originally posted by taus01

Two related questions if you don't mind.

Is there a single server or multiple?

Is the channel capacity for a zone fairly large? (a couple hundred players or more)

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • Gabby-airGabby-air Member UncommonPosts: 3,440

Gave it a 8, surprised me on many aspects and really turned out to be a very good game but the game has some really big flaws right now so I'll probably wait it out a few months before picking it up. 

• Gabby-airGabby-air Member UncommonPosts: 3,440

Originally posted by ActionMMORPG

Is the channel capacity for a zone fairly large? (a couple hundred players or more)

Only one server as far as I can see and from all the people running around seems like it easily handles hundreds. 

• EladiEladi Member UncommonPosts: 1,145

Originally posted by Gabby-air

Originally posted by ActionMMORPG

Only one server as far as I can see and from all the people running around seems like it easily handles hundreds. 

One server and its typical zone instance system as knwown from  AoC, Champions online and sw:tor.  you can switch "channels" whit the button in the minimap top.

this is from a late 2011 Zam interview (i think).   but yeah what they've already said.  shards.

Martin: At the bottom, it's a single server that we will split into shards, basically. Originally - and this was four years ago - we said, "One server," and that was it. But because of the persistent PvP, we realized it wouldn't really work if you had one server. The playfields had to have a population cap, and if we did employ population caps, then only a very small percentage of the player base would be able to do the persistent PvP. So we decided to split the player population up into servers. All the mini-games, however, will be cross-server.

When it comes to if we'll split between EU and the US, we're still testing that out. We've seen that if we put a server on the East Coast in the US, we get a ping of about 70, which is fairly acceptable.

ZAM: From Europe?

Martin: Yeah! We haven't made a decision yet, and we're trying it out. But even if we're going for one or two splits, the foundation is still a single server split into different shards.

ZAM: So there won't be region locks where I can't play with someone from Europe just because of hard barriers.

Martin: Nope.