Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Path of Exile = Diablo 2's True Successor

ArEfArEf Member Posts: 233

The public stress test weekend is on for Path of Exile, which means everyone can get in, piss about, stress the hell out of the servers and understand what makes this game great.

I'll sum it up for you below.

To everyone who's played Diablo 1&2, imagine a game with Diablo 1's class flexibility and customisation and combine it with Diablo 2's combat system. You now, roughly, have Path of Exile. Sprinkle liberally with the most depressing themes of Diablo 1&2 (defeatism, evils wins, etc) and you get the basic setting concept.

Add onto that some genuinely interesting features like custom ruleset leagues (that people can purchase and set up, like having your own mini Battle.net) and a currency system based around bartering (trade basic items to get identify scrolls, use those scrolls to identify items and sell those items for orbs of alchemy, either sell those orbs to get better orbs that allow you to upgrade equipment or use them to upgrade your equipment), and you see the really amazing game beneath it all.

Oh, and just look at the graphics. It's basically Diablo 2 in 3D with the most gorgeous polish possible.

Add me on Steam!

RawrfulCast - My YouTube Channel
Me and a Friend are Bad At Games :(

Comments

• dubyahitedubyahite Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

Path of Exile forums are thataway

<-----------

Shadow's Hand Guild
    Open recruitment for

The Secret World - Dragons

Planetside 2 - Terran Republic

Tera - Dragonfall Server

http://www.shadowshand.com

• ArEfArEf Member Posts: 233

Originally posted by dubyahite

<-----------

Have you ever actually played Diablo 1 or 2? Almost every person I see that is rabidly defending Diablo 3 hasn't, which I find rather odd.

Add me on Steam!

• jusomdudejusomdude Member RarePosts: 2,706

I've played both 1 and 2, and no, your post does not belong here.

• RebelScum99RebelScum99 Member Posts: 1,090

I've played both Diablo 1 & 2, and have beta'd both D3 and PoE.  D3 is far superior.  PoE is a decent game, but more in line with Titan Quest than any of the Diablo series games.  

As mentioned, PoE forums are thatway-------->

• MephsterMephster Member Posts: 1,188

More like Grim Dawn will be the true successor but we'll have to wait in 2013 for that.

Grim Dawn, the next great action rpg!

http://www.grimdawn.com/

• feroshusferoshus Member UncommonPosts: 164

I'll be playing D3 over any of these sad clones...I guess they have a place, but it's not on my computer.

Originally posted by jusomdude

Of course it doesn't. I mean, it's not like it's important to make people aware they have options on what game to play in a certain genre. Hell no.

Originally posted by RebelScum99

I've played both Diablo 1 & 2, and have beta'd both D3 and PoE.  D3 is far superior.  PoE is a decent game, but more in line with Titan Quest than any of the Diablo series games.  

As mentioned, PoE forums are thatway-------->

lol. wat.

Can you explain your nonsensical opinion to me, please?

Originally posted by Aori

How do you know who has played D2 and who hasn't? I really think you need a new crystal ball, I think its faulty.

Because it's pretty obvious when 99% of them don't know anything about D2 but try to claim they do and get it all wrong.

Originally posted by feroshus

I'll be playing D3 over any of these sad clones...I guess they have a place, but it's not on my computer.

Sad clone of what, exactly? Certainly not D3, since that's Call of Duty Hack and Slash Edition.

Add me on Steam!

• KinchyleKinchyle Member Posts: 309

I bought D1 and 2 from release and played the hell out of them. I have also tested (and quit) PoE. I cannot, for the life of me, see how anyone could compare the games. When D2 came out, there were a TON of low budget indie games that tried to follow. This is exactly what PoE is to me.

I shake my head every time I see people praising this game. Must be desperate times in gaming that we live in.

• RebelScum99RebelScum99 Member Posts: 1,090

To the OP:  How's this thread going for you?  Is it everything you'd hoped it would be?

• KostKost Member CommonPosts: 1,975

Originally posted by ArEf

Because it's pretty obvious when 99% of them don't know anything about D2 but try to claim they do and get it all wrong.

Which is exactly what you see 90% of the POE players doing...

People slam the D3 RMAH, but don't bother to mention that D2 item sales through third parties were a serious fucking problem.

Most of the people posting ANYWHERE about D2 in relation to D3 have never even played the game and the ignorant statements made by these individuals make that fact blatently obvious.

• KostKost Member CommonPosts: 1,975

Sad clone of what, exactly? Certainly not D3, since that's Call of Duty Hack and Slash Edition.

Absurd.

Also, POE wouldn't even exist if it wasn't for the Diablo franchise. Two different games are two different games? It isn't rocket science champ.

• KinchyleKinchyle Member Posts: 309

I keep seeing people mention CoD when referencing D3. Id that a sad joke? Or do people actually think they have something in common?

• BaniscoBanisco Member Posts: 240

Its a TRAP.

I am on the PoE beta and like in D1 and D2 you have a lot of freedom to customice your character, but its a trap. Sure in PoE you can take a witch and run all the way in the web (the skill grid) to the marauder skills, but is it worth it? well i studied the skill web and its not worth it, each class has a number of viable builds, with a witch you can go: minions, elemental spells or wand dps (dual wielding wands and shooting is dam cool) but thats all. There are also special pasive skills wich can change your gameplay quite heavily and can make some weird builds, but its not enough.

So the point here, all this diablo like games give you freedom to choose your skills and your stats, but its just an ilusion of choice because in the end we all are going to play the same, in this area D3 just accepted it and got rid of the ilussion, they let you choose whats there tho choose, a pool of skills and the equipement wich works well with those skills.

Originally posted by Kinchyle

I bought D1 and 2 from release and played the hell out of them. I have also tested (and quit) PoE. I cannot, for the life of me, see how anyone could compare the games. When D2 came out, there were a TON of low budget indie games that tried to follow. This is exactly what PoE is to me.

I shake my head every time I see people praising this game. Must be desperate times in gaming that we live in.

Rofl, let's see your character in PoE and we'll decide. Also, have you tried the latest patch which quite literally overhauled enemy AI and made the game about a thousand times harder?

Originally posted by Kost

Which is exactly what you see 90% of the POE players doing...

People slam the D3 RMAH, but don't bother to mention that D2 item sales through third parties were a serious fucking problem.

Most of the people posting ANYWHERE about D2 in relation to D3 have never even played the game and the ignorant statements made by these individuals make that fact blatently obvious.

To ruin a game by worrying about problems like that is ridiculous. The D2 item sales never affected me once whilst playing the game (this is a bit of lie, in all fairness, the spam in chat channels was fucking disgusting), the RMAH will do.

There're less intrusives ways of banning something without completely legalising it. The RMAH doesn't solve the issue, IT MAKES IT WORSE.

Originally posted by Kost

Absurd.

Also, POE wouldn't even exist if it wasn't for the Diablo franchise. Two different games are two different games? It isn't rocket science champ.

What's absurb about it, exactly?

That's just a stupid argument that I see every tit make. "OH IT'S COPYING A GAME TEN YEARS OLD FFS".

Originally posted by Banisco

Its a TRAP.

I am on the PoE beta and like in D1 and D2 you have a lot of freedom to customice your character, but its a trap. Sure in PoE you can take a witch and run all the way in the web (the skill grid) to the marauder skills, but is it worth it? well i studied the skill web and its not worth it, each class has a number of viable builds, with a witch you can go: minions, elemental spells or wand dps (dual wielding wands and shooting is dam cool) but thats all. There are also special pasive skills wich can change your gameplay quite heavily and can make some weird builds, but its not enough.

So the point here, all this diablo like games give you freedom to choose your skills and your stats, but its just an ilusion of choice because in the end we all are going to play the same, in this area D3 just accepted it and got rid of the ilussion, they let you choose whats there tho choose, a pool of skills and the equipement wich works well with those skills.

You used literally the worst example for flexibility in the game. The Witch is very magic focused and her entire tree is designed around it.

Compare that with the marauder that can do dual wield, two handers, bows, blood magic (which means he'll never run out of mana because his health is his mana bar), sword and board, totems or any combination of the above. That's not even including the crazy shit like necromancer-blood magic.

Add me on Steam!

• SoulOfRazielSoulOfRaziel Member UncommonPosts: 405

Originally posted by jusomdude

Same here.... played both and i can tell for sure that u are in the wrong section !

• ClerigoClerigo Member UncommonPosts: 400

I am also a bit disappointed with D3, but saying PoE is the successor of D2 may be a little too much.

• IstavaanIstavaan Member Posts: 1,350

i prefer diablo 3 as its more polished and has at least a bit of story. i like story with my single player games so shoot me.

Originally posted by Istavaan

i prefer diablo 3 as its more polished and has at least a bit of story. i like story with my single player games so shoot me.

Singleplayer? A singleplayer always online game?

Okay then.

Add me on Steam!

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916

Originally posted by dubyahite

<-----------

Have you ever actually played Diablo 1 or 2? Almost every person I see that is rabidly defending Diablo 3 hasn't, which I find rather odd.

For god's sake, why do we get YET another thread like this in the Diablo 3 section. Can't you all get a clue and go to the TL2 or POE forums. Reported!

I have played Diablo 1 and 2. I have played it more than you have I am sure. Hell, I have played Diablo 2 more than probably all the haters on these forums combined.

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

One thing i just noticed is that D2 and PoE are oriented to make certain builds, you cant just pick some random skills and go nuts, D3 doesnt have a restrictive build sistem, wich lets you play the way you like.

For example in D2 i had a necro based only on minons (my bad) and i lked it, but sometimes i got bored an wanted to play in other stile, well i couldnt, on the other hand in D3 if you are a witch doctor with a pet oriented set of skills, you can change them into something different, like damagin spells, this freedom is in my opinion better than any build based sistem.

Okay then.

PoE works in the same way, you only see other people in towns and need to group to play together, and if you want to play alone you still have to be online, much like D3.

• logicwarlogicwar Member UncommonPosts: 69

my games better then your game ?

who cares which is better ? play what you like, i like them both will play them both.

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916

Okay then.

You do comprehend the meaning of singleplayer don't you? Singleplayer means 1 player, not necessarily offline mode. 

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• IstavaanIstavaan Member Posts: 1,350

Okay then.

Yes single player as in it's just me, myself and I.

Originally posted by fivoroth

Okay then.

You do comprehend the meaning of singleplayer don't you? Singleplayer means 1 player, not necessarily offline mode. 

What's the point in being online if you're gonna play singleplayer?

Add me on Steam!