Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cancelling Pre-Order from Funcom?

cetoceto Member UncommonPosts: 21

Hiya folks,

I pre-ordered from the Funcom site but haven't seen any way to cancel it. Am I overlooking something or am I stuck with it now?

Thanks!

Comments

• UsulDaNeriakUsulDaNeriak Member Posts: 640

i also looked for this button after 1 day of testing. main reason is the combat- and skillsystem.

i guess we have to send an email to customer support via the form on the account page.

but perhaps somebody else knows, where the magic button is?

played: Everquest I (6 years), EVE (3 years)
    months: EQII, Vanguard, Siedler Online, SWTOR, Guild Wars 2
    weeks: WoW, Shaiya, Darkfall, Florensia, Entropia, Aion, Lotro, Fallen Earth, Uncharted Waters
    days: DDO, RoM, FFXIV, STO, Atlantica, PotBS, Maestia, WAR, AoC, Gods&Heroes, Cultures, RIFT, Forsaken World, Allodds

• RottsteinRottstein Member UncommonPosts: 66

My take on that would be that you shouldn't have ordered it if you didn't want it. 

You think they make this option available in order to let you cancel your order and incur themselves accounting costs?

If you weren't sure you wanted the kind of game they were offering you should have kept your money in your pocket until you were more sure.

• gimmesomegimmesome Member Posts: 362

Originally posted by Rottstein

If you weren't sure you wanted the kind of game they were offering you should have kept your money in your pocket until you were more sure.

^ this.

I learned my lesson after preordering SWTOR, and it shouldn't have even taken that mistake to teach me such a fundamental economic rule.

pre-ordering off hype alone is ludicrous.

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    People should stop pre ordering games like they are a box of cookies without any tought.

Gw2 prepurchasing is the way to go for MMO companies in the future. It will make people think trice before preordering

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• Darkness690Darkness690 Member Posts: 174

I never understood why people pre-order games so far in advance.

• TerrorizorTerrorizor Member Posts: 326

Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

People should stop pre ordering games like they are a box of cookies without any tought. Gw2 prepurchasing is the way to go for MMO companies in the future. It will make people think trice before preordering

I agree 100%.  People should not be able to get their money back unless the game developers is unable to provide the product at all. Glitches, bugs, poor gameplay, general feeling of unhappiness should not be an acceptable reason for refund.

• KabaalKabaal Member UncommonPosts: 3,042

Originally posted by Darkness690

The game releases in a few weeks.

To be fair on the OP i'd be cancelling too if i had pre-ordered, the game is nowhere near ready for launch.

• HamrtimeHamrtime Member Posts: 200

Originally posted by Kabaal

To be fair on the OP i'd be cancelling too if i had pre-ordered, the game is nowhere near ready for launch.

Are you really surprised after the AoC debacle?

• Dahkot72Dahkot72 Member Posts: 261

This is why preordering , using Amazon prime , is the way to go if possible. Zero risk. Zero cost , you get into beta and early access and can cancel the order all the way up to ship date with zero charge. Even send unopened box back if it ships before cancelling and for prime members this is free.

That way you get to even play the early access with the secret magic patch/version that fixes everything they aren't showing (not) , and see if worth your money.

Been able to try every mmorpg in past several years this way all the way back to Vanguard , and cancelling some while keeping others.

• bartoni33bartoni33 Member RarePosts: 2,044

Originally posted by Terrorizor

People should stop pre ordering games like they are a box of cookies without any tought. Gw2 prepurchasing is the way to go for MMO companies in the future. It will make people think trice before preordering

I agree 100%.  People should not be able to get their money back unless the game developers is unable to provide the product at all. Glitches, bugs, poor gameplay, general feeling of unhappiness should not be an acceptable reason for refund.

Your being sarcastic I hope.

THAT is EXACTLY the reason why you would want a refund. WTF.

Again I REALLY hope you are being sarcastic.

Bartoni's Law definition: As an Internet discussion grows volatile, the probability of a comparison involving Donald Trump approaches 1.

• KinchyleKinchyle Member Posts: 309

Originally posted by Kabaal

LOL!!

Wow...what MMO ever was? Same line I see in every thread about every game. When will people learn?

Why pre-order if you don't know what you are getting? If you are testing it, you know what you are getting. If you know what you are getting, then you know whether to pre-order or not. Cancelling a pre-order "cause it's nowhere near ready" is just silly to me. You KNEW FULL WELL what it was when you ordered. It would take some drastic flaws to make me cancel....jussayin

• Dahkot72Dahkot72 Member Posts: 261

Thankfully , credit card companies disagree. Releasing a buggy product , or not providing customer support on requests for refunds before the product ships , qualifies with major CC companies as legit reason to chargeback.

GW2 prepurchase already refunded by my CC for this exact reason - NCSoft not responding , not providing a ship date , and me listing reasons why it appears the software doesn't meet expectations , was all it took for CC company to agree and refund money.

I'm actually hoping the fact people can get chargebacks for shoddy software will force mmorpg companies to launch in a better state and provide better customer support.

I'm sure NCSoft will be closing my GW2 account because of the CC chargeback , but thats fine , as I dont want it. But I imagine there will be quite a few chargebacks for Funcom also as CC companies put the burden on the company to prove the product meets standards etc. Enough fees/chargebacks etc should get the attention of companies I hope overall to begin to test and release more complete products along with better customer support.

You put in a request for  a refund from Funcom , they dont answer the email in a reasonable number of days as NCSoft did witih me , and the CC company is going to automatically side with you etc.

• KazuhiroKazuhiro Member UncommonPosts: 606

Back on the actual topic at hand...

If you can't find a cancel button. (Likely there isn't one, they don't want you to after all.)

1. Contact customer service and ask to cancel.

2. "If option 1 doesn't work" and you used a creditcard/paypal/etc to order, cancel/refuse the payment via their respective websites.

Offtopic: I completely understand people canceling pre-orders like this, especially in cases where a pre-order is required by the company to try the game out. I was fortunite enough to get to try this game and see it isn't finished before ordering it, saving me the trouble.

To find an intelligent person in a PUG is not that rare, but to find a PUG made up of "all" intelligent people is one of the rarest phenomenons in the known universe.

Originally posted by Dahkot72

Thankfully , credit card companies disagree. Releasing a buggy product , or not providing customer support on requests for refunds before the product ships , qualifies with major CC companies as legit reason to chargeback.

GW2 prepurchase already refunded by my CC for this exact reason - NCSoft not responding , not providing a ship date , and me listing reasons why it appears the software doesn't meet expectations , was all it took for CC company to agree and refund money.

I'm actually hoping the fact people can get chargebacks for shoddy software will force mmorpg companies to launch in a better state and provide better customer support.

I'm sure NCSoft will be closing my GW2 account because of the CC chargeback , but thats fine , as I dont want it. But I imagine there will be quite a few chargebacks for Funcom also as CC companies put the burden on the company to prove the product meets standards etc. Enough fees/chargebacks etc should get the attention of companies I hope overall to begin to test and release more complete products along with better customer support.

You put in a request for  a refund from Funcom , they dont answer the email in a reasonable number of days as NCSoft did witih me , and the CC company is going to automatically side with you etc.

This.

I think people forget that the power is in ourselves as the consumer. It's our money that they are wanting. They have to earn it. Just shoving a half-ass product out does not qualify as earning it. If you are not satisfied with a product you have every right to want a refund, within a reasonable time frame of course. Quit being victims folks. The consumer should hold all the cards. If the producer can not live up to it then they need to switch professions. It does not matter to the consumer. Someone will take their place and gladly make a worthwhile product. That's how Capitalism works. The need for a good entertainment product is out there, someone will fill the void for the lust of money. Or because they just want to make a good product to be proud of.

/rant off

Bartoni's Law definition: As an Internet discussion grows volatile, the probability of a comparison involving Donald Trump approaches 1.

• jtcgsjtcgs Member Posts: 1,777

Originally posted by ceto

Hiya folks,

I pre-ordered from the Funcom site but haven't seen any way to cancel it. Am I overlooking something or am I stuck with it now?

Thanks!

1. contact Funcom customer support.

2. Contact your credit card company and make sure the charge is blocked because odds are Funcom wont do a thing for you.

3. Stop believing Funcom can make a good game before its released, couldnt in the past and have shown no sign of learning from their mistakes or changing how they deal with their released games.

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

• KostKost Member CommonPosts: 1,975

I wasn't planning on preordering, my beta weekend key came from a third party.

However, after having played I will definitely be preordering. Seems like a great game so far and Funcom has regained some of my confidence in them by making a valiant effort to ensure many of the glaring issues that were present in AoC during beta are not an issue with TSW.

Compared to what AoC's beta was like, TSW is extremely polished. If they can bug bash hard over the next few weeks I think the game will do well at launch and be considered a success.

• Riker99Riker99 Member Posts: 70

I don't think NCSoft or ArenaNet will be very happy with that, and in all likelihood you will lose access to all their games for life. Regarding the Annual Pass for World of Warcraft, if you ever requested a chargeback to Blizzard, you were unable to sign up for it. Chargebacks cost these companies quite a bit of money, time, and grief. My opinion of you is that you are a chronic complaintant. This opinion probably correlates well with what NCSoft and ArenaNet think of you, and they will probably not want to do business with you again. In the end, you cost them money, and are therefore not valuable as a current or future customer.

Originally posted by jtcgs

3. Stop believing Funcom can make a good game before its released, couldnt in the past and have shown no sign of learning from their mistakes or changing how they deal with their released games.

Have you even played?

TSW is a massive improvement in every possible way, they have very much shown that they have learned from past mistakes. That statement alone makes me question your credibility, as you would be aware of this and not basing your statement on information and opinions formed in 2008 if you actually had experienced the game.

• DoomedfoxDoomedfox Member UncommonPosts: 679

Originally posted by bartoni33

This.

I think people forget that the power is in ourselves as the consumer. It's our money that they are wanting. They have to earn it. Just shoving a half-ass product out does not qualify as earning it. If you are not satisfied with a product you have every right to want a refund, within a reasonable time frame of course. Quit being victims folks. The consumer should hold all the cards. If the producer can not live up to it then they need to switch professions. It does not matter to the consumer. Someone will take their place and gladly make a worthwhile product. That's how Capitalism works. The need for a good entertainment product is out there, someone will fill the void for the lust of money. Or because they just want to make a good product to be proud of.

/rant off

I do agree 100% with you.....yet

Can you tell me who from Funcom actually pressured you guys to preorder?

I mean sure they need to earn the money and stuff but no one ever pressured you to preorder and not wait till after release...or did they?

So maybe ppl should just wait till after release if they are unable of researching and making a decision beforehand.

Originally posted by Riker99

I don't think NCSoft or ArenaNet will be very happy with that, and in all likelihood you will lose access to all their games for life. Regarding the Annual Pass for World of Warcraft, if you ever requested a chargeback to Blizzard, you were unable to sign up for it. Chargebacks cost these companies quite a bit of money, time, and grief. My opinion of you is that you are a chronic complaintant. This opinion probably correlates well with what NCSoft and ArenaNet think of you, and they will probably not want to do business with you again. In the end, you cost them money, and are therefore not valuable as a current or future customer.

Who gives a fuck what NCSoft or ArenaNet thinks about it? Thats not anybodys concern. If he didn't like what they made then that's his perogative as a consumer and should not be punished for it.

Again they work for us, not the other way around. They should be BEGGING him to come back and try again.

Who gives a fuck what NCSoft or ArenaNet thinks about it? Thats not anybodys concern. If he didn't like what they made then that's his perogative as a consumer and should not be punished for it.

Again they work for us, not the other way around. They should be BEGGING him to come back and try again.

Filing a fraudulent chargeback based on nothing more than buyer's remose is just that: fraudulent.

It's not a hard concept to grasp sparky.

Originally posted by Doomedfox

This.

/rant off

I do agree 100% with you.....yet

Can you tell me who from Funcom actually pressured you guys to preorder?

I mean sure they need to earn the money and stuff but no one ever pressured you to preorder and not wait till after release...or did they?

So maybe ppl should just wait till after release if they are unable of researching and making a decision beforehand.

You have a valid point. No one forced him to pre-order it.

But it doesn't negate the fact that he felt that they did not deliver on what they promised or doing it in a timely manner. When you ask for money certain expectations are assumed, legal and otherwise. When they are not met you should demand a refund. A lesson learned and all that for the business.

• VassagoMaelVassagoMael Member Posts: 555

I just saw that COD Black Ops 2 is already up for preorder and it isn't going to release for over 6 months. Pre orders make sense to me for retail shops because it helps them determine the amount of product they need on hand at release, but 6 months out on a digital purchase? Why bother?

Free to play = content updates for the cash shop. Buy to play = content updates for the cash shop.
    Subscription = Actual content updates!

Originally posted by Kost

Filing a fraudulent chargeback based on nothing more than buyer's remose is just that: fraudulent.

Yep that's why no CC ever does chargebacks isn't it?

Stop being a victim.

• jusomdudejusomdude Member RarePosts: 2,706

Originally posted by Kost

^

It looks like OP just doesn't like the game which isn't a valid reason for a refund. I've been playing almost non-stop since the beta weekend started and have found maybe two bugs, and not even game breaking ones.