Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guild War 2 Might Cost you more than you think

1171819202123»

Comments

• p_c_sousap_c_sousa Member Posts: 620

Originally posted by Atlan99

Originally posted by The_Korrigan

Yeah, I'm quoting my own post because I'd like an answer to this. The person I'm quoting seems to conveniently ignore that point... I wonder why.

Your power of necromancy is surging.

I should have added the crafting materials tab. It did slip my mind. Feel better?

I would say most people who love alts will choose to purchase extra bank tabs. If those people don't know going in they will have to pay for additional bank space. Then they may pay more than they thought they would when they originally bought the game.

the problem is that because the title of topic have "might" there turn this all pointless. any game or anything might cost more you than you think. tell me a game where cant might cost you more than you tought?

for now this game cant migh me cost more than i tought because i dont need anything from shop, but i dont know the future. im think spend money on game every 1 year with expansion but if they realease expansion every 10 months that the game will cost me more than i tought in begining. 

so tell me how this topic isnt pointless?  "migh" and "if" the two words that make many things pointless. 

• Atlan99Atlan99 Member UncommonPosts: 1,332

Originally posted by p_c_sousa

the problem is that because the title of topic have "might" there turn this all pointless. any game or anything might cost more you than you think. tell me a game where cant might cost you more than you tought?

for now this game cant migh me cost more than i tought because i dont need anything from shop, but i dont know the future. im think spend money on game every 1 year with expansion but if they realease expansion every 10 months that the game will cost me more than i tought in begining. 

so tell me how this topic isnt pointless?  "migh" and "if" the two words that make many things pointless. 

The problem with my title is it isn't "GW2 is Revolutionary". 

AoC didn't cost me more than I thought. I bought it at the price listed and knew beforehand it had a subscription fee. Now if I was new to mmo's and subscription models then AoC may have cost more than I had orginally thought.

This topic isn't pointless because some people have learned things they didn't know beforehand. 

• p_c_sousap_c_sousa Member Posts: 620

Originally posted by Atlan99

The problem with my title is it isn't "GW2 is Revolutionary". 

AoC didn't cost me more than I thought. I bought it at the price listed and knew beforehand it had a subscription fee. Now if I was new to mmo's and subscription models then AoC may have cost more than I had orginally thought.

This topic isn't pointless because some people have learned things they didn't know beforehand. 

so AoC didnt cost more than you tough because you stop playing the game, if you paly today obvious will cost more than you tough, so yes it MIGHT could cost you more than you tought in begining. the game was P2P and became F2P how can you give an example of AoC as a game that cant MIGHT you cost more than you tough? all F2P will not MIGHT cost you more than you tough it for sure cost more than you tough ...

it didnt cost more than you tough but the possible was there

l will  not spend any money on shop of GW2 for now, dont exist anything good there for me but in future you know?? that is where "MIGHT" make everything pointless, you cant see the future. 

tell me, if you try a game and love so much the game that you end buy a guide or a t-shirt or other thing, arent you spend more money than you tough in begining? is a possible so yes, any game can migh cost more than you think

if you can ensure me GW2 cash shop will not have any change forever and the expansion they realease is 1 for year, than GW2 will not cost not even 1€ more than i tough. 

and what is GW2 revolutionary have something with this topic ? GW2 revolutionary? for me isnt...is a EVOLUTION of other games and that is something very good.

• They want more money to maintain their servers, pay for staffing, etc. What a concept.

I'll happily pay them money above and beyond the price of the initial game because I love the game so much and I want to see it grow. I have no issue paying for something that's solid and that I enjoy.

• Atlan99Atlan99 Member UncommonPosts: 1,332

so AoC didnt cost more than you tough because you stop playing the game, if you paly today obvious will cost more than you tough, so yes it MIGHT could cost you more than you tought in begining. the game was P2P and became F2P how can you give an example of AoC as a game that cant MIGHT you cost more than you tough? all F2P will not MIGHT cost you more than you tough it for sure cost more than you tough ...

it didnt cost more than you tough but the possible was there

l will  not spend any money on shop of GW2 for now, dont exist anything good there for me but in future you know?? that is where "MIGHT" make everything pointless, you cant see the future. 

tell me, if you try a game and love so much the game that you end buy a guide or a t-shirt or other thing, arent you spend more money than you tough in begining? is a possible so yes, any game can migh cost more than you think

if you can ensure me GW2 cash shop will not have any change forever and the expansion they realease is 1 for year, than GW2 will not cost not even 1€ more than i tough. 

and what is GW2 revolutionary have something with this topic ? GW2 revolutionary? for me isnt...is a EVOLUTION of other games and that is something very good.

I'm not sure if it's language barrier, but I'm honestly having a hard time trying to understand you. I gave you specific examples and you ran off on some tangent.

I understand you are very passionate about the game. You seem to take issue whenever anybody says anything, that might possibly be construed as negative about GW2.

I'm obviously not going to convince you of anything and you aren't going to convince me of anything. So let's agree to disagree and leave it at that.

• Netgamer7kNetgamer7k Member Posts: 62

I'm cool with it. I honestly dislike the monthly fee system, since it can discourage players coming back to the game who are tight on cash. This way here, it's basically 'to each to their own' when it comes to throwing money at Anet.

I'm not a big spender, so I don't plan on buying anything else other than extra character slots and bags.

• Kykyryz-aKykyryz-a Member Posts: 113

Actually  OP kinda right But  its only if you For some Reason want all 8 chars to be maxed lvl (bags, banks).   in this case  sure, you  cant have job to make 200$ extra a year cos you are playing 24/7.

But  its known fact that F2P games cost  a bit more than P2P  to regular player as some part of community  will try to play with out paying at all.  Browser games best examples for this. ppl wasting tons of money for nothg  just to Win with cash.

in GW2 its not the case but  you still need to help devs. for me  its all good if you are playing MMO you love for  looong time  and not spending money on single player games, just to go and  help devs with that extra 30-60$.  as long as  there will be no "monthly"  "Special offers"  to buy somethg in Shop with low % of getting extra stat or some other  pay to win items.

Paying for costumes, keys and other cosmetic items always will be good :)

• victorbjrvictorbjr Member UncommonPosts: 212

I just realized I can probably mitigate some of the cost of paying for in-game items by watching the twitter feed of ArenaNet Closely in case they come up with Trivia Contests like Turbine does for LOTRO. :D

A writer and gamer from the Philippines. Loves his mom dearly. :)

Can also be found on http://www.gamesandgeekery.com

• TheonenoniTheonenoni Member Posts: 279

Ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. 

Everything in the cash shop can be bought with in-game gold.  Expansions will probably be the only thing that will bought with real life money. 

You know there are some games like WoW who charge you a monthly fee, charge you for expansions, and have a cash shop where you must buy the coolest mount or you are a square in the community.

-I am here to perform logic

• udonudon Member UncommonPosts: 1,803
    Originally posted by Theonenoni

Ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. 

Everything in the cash shop can be bought with in-game gold.  Expansions will probably be the only thing that will bought with real life money. 
    You know there are some games like WoW who charge you a monthly fee, charge you for expansions, and have a cash shop where you must buy the coolest mount or you are a square in the community.

You are not following the money back enough to realize it doesn't matter. Someone has to buy those gems for real money be it you or the person you bought them from with gold. Do you really think Anet cares where you get your gems in that system? Cash is cash no matter where it comes from. The more the cash shop is used the more it will be "improved" upon. It will only be a metter of time before they add a ultra rare Frengi ship to those boxes that drop twice as often as the keys do. (I don't know that's the ratio but you don't know it's not either)
  • IrusIrus Member Posts: 774

Originally posted by udon

You are not following the money back enough to realize it doesn't matter. Someone has to buy those gems for real money be it you or the person you bought them from with gold.

Isn't that how PLEXs work in EVE?

I don't really see your point.

• udonudon Member UncommonPosts: 1,803
    Originally posted by Irus

Originally posted by udon

You are not following the money back enough to realize it doesn't matter. Someone has to buy those gems for real money be it you or the person you bought them from with gold.

Isn't that how PLEXs work in EVE?

I don't really see your point.

Eve is good example of the bad side of cash shop. CCP got slapped by its community pretty hard for focusing more on the cash shop than on the game. To its credit it listened at least.
  • IrusIrus Member Posts: 774

I didn't see anything bad from it.

Then again, I don't pay attention to gold sellers, either.

• TerrorizorTerrorizor Member Posts: 326

I can't beleive this thread is still going.  Do people really care that much? Is it just trolls or is there people that actually whine about this and can't just get over it?

If you don't like the cash shop, don't play.

If you think it's going to threaten the state of mankind, don't play.

If you think that it will turn evil, and hold a gun to your head, don't play.

If you want to continue sharing your disapproval, don't.

This is a AAA quality title that has ~85% of the players currently in beta excited about the game.  This AAA title is only going to charge you to purchase the game, getting rid of the subscription.  If you can't manage to get $60 of enjoyment out of the game because they have a cash shop, then don't play, don't participate, and move on to a different game.  

• SiderasSideras Member Posts: 231

God, they are really trying aren't they? Last time I checked you can convert gold to gems also http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ns-IIn-DG-c

• Gallus85Gallus85 Member Posts: 1,092

A few things to point out about the OP's scenario

The scenario layed out is the absolute most extreme scenario.  8 Characters?  Personally (I know others are different), I prefer to master 1 character instead of being average / above average with multiple characters.  So for people like me, having more than 2 or 3 characters is almost out of the question.

On top of that, you can get by in the game without expanding your bank/bag slots, especially on less played alts, so if you expand character bag and bank slots on 2 or 3 characters, that's MUCH cheaper than playing WoW for a year.  Probably about $10 to $15 per character.

Another thing to note is that it's all optional.  You can play the game from 1 to 80, with slight limitations on inventory slots, compete in pvp, play all the PVE content and enjoy the game to the fullist, without spending anything more than the initial game price.

You can also pay as you go.  You can buy $15 worth of gems one month, and then not buy gems for 2 or 3 months, and you can still play the game.  Unlike subscription games where you don't pay $15 and you get locked out.

I'm an older gamer, been playing online RPGs since MUD days on games like LoK and DF, and I've played just about every major release from day 1 EQ in 1999 to Tera and SWTOR.  I am recently retired from the military and have good income, I'm an IT professional and have been building/modding/fixing PCs since the AMD K5 slocket days and my personal feeling is that supporting a game you enjoy is a noble thing to do.  People expect so much for free now a days that it's almost sickening.  Game developers and other IT professionals that go into supporting these games need to make a living too you know?

And in the end, the GW2 model is a perfect one.  It allows people to play without a subscription commitment, but the initial game price, and cash shop that's mainly bank slots and vanity items allows people to support the game, without the game being Pay2Win (which imo is a horrible model).

And last of all.  If you're an adult and you simply can't afford $15 or $30 a month on an online game you enjoy playing, then you need to put down the mouse and focus on getting a better education so you can get a better job. 

Legends of Kesmai, UO, EQ, AO, DAoC, AC, SB, RO, SWG, EVE, EQ2, CoH, GW, VG:SOH, WAR, Aion, DF, CO, MO, DN, Tera, SWTOR, RO2, DP, GW2, PS2, BnS, NW, FF:XIV, ESO, EQ:NL

• AmanaAmana Moderator UncommonPosts: 3,912

Locked due to necro. If a thread is more than a month or so old and hasn't been active, please don't post in it. Feel free to quote from or link to anything in the thread in a new one. Thanks.

To give feedback on moderation, contact [email protected]

This discussion has been closed.