Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is the servers up with all thats going?

Comments

• ReaverKaneReaverKane Member Posts: 11

Originally posted by Maxipad

If you are looking to try out this game, this is what you can expect at least on a once a month basis, if not more.

Everything will go to crap and the sole person who can do anything about it will go into cloak mode for the weekend and you are stuck with people crying for some BS sleep bonus in game. There is a reason this game is so cheap. You spend most of your time wondering how much longer it'll be before you can log in and play the game you just paid for.

What this game needs is a Public Relations department that isn't actually just there to stroke the fanboys. Nevermind, this game really needs someone who gives a crap about their own game enough to pay attention to WTF is going on.

2 Years of Wurm, first time i saw anything like this.

That said, idk if its related or not, but i can't launch the client at all...

• BriganderBrigander Member Posts: 47

He needs to scrap a lot of the servers anyway.  Delete Epic, Chaos, Exodus - all that extra bullshit that wasn't needed.  Make a real PvP server, a fuckin 100x100 tile map, spears on the ground all over.  Survival of the fuckin' fittest. 

Originally posted by Brigander

He needs to scrap a lot of the servers anyway.  Delete Epic, Chaos, Exodus - all that extra bullshit that wasn't needed.  Make a real PvP server, a fuckin 100x100 tile map, spears on the ground all over.  Survival of the fuckin' fittest. 

Let me guess you have deeds on inde and deli?

No, I am from Chaos, and tried Epic (which flunked), and had dicked around a bit on Freedom.  

I know you too, BLer.  

• nkitznkitz Member Posts: 69

Yeah the last time I seen something remotely similar was during the massive data lost right after notch took a break from the team.

• ashiresashires Member Posts: 10

starting to get to be a regular saturday thing that we cant get on wurm

• yorkforceyorkforce Member UncommonPosts: 160

I couldnt even get a single reply from the 140 people in IRC to a very simple and reasonable question. Do people ever chat in there?

• DojenDojen Member UncommonPosts: 134

Down a few weeks? Looks like it's time to call PayPal and tell them I want my money back.

• MaxipadMaxipad Member Posts: 19

The fanboys will have you believe that crap like this never happens with Wurm. Yet, they'll be one of the first ones to claim a crime has happened if they don't get their 5 hours of sleep bonus every time the game craps out like this.

• cs74lacs74la Member Posts: 11

Originally posted by Dojen

Down a few weeks? Looks like it's time to call PayPal and tell them I want my money back.

The Servers are running... nothing "weeks"....,

after waiting 30 mins the client started, dont know why, but at the moment are 370 ppl on, guess you just have to be patient.

Greets Kaiva

• DojenDojen Member UncommonPosts: 134

Originally posted by cs74la

after waiting 30 mins the client started, dont know why, but at the moment are 370 ppl on, guess you just have to be patient.

Greets Kaiva

Yes, they are up now. I meant if it was going to take weeks to log in (Rolf stated in his blog that "something" would take a few weeks--probably regarding the migration of the new wiki and forums) then I would surely speak with PayPal.

• RaffertyRafferty Member Posts: 9

Folks it pains me to say this but:

Up to this point I have been appreciative of the laid back easy going nature of Wurm. I love the game, and for the most part, the development approach used to create it. But at this point I feel the "no worries be happy" approach has not served the player base very well at this juncture. It was hours, and I mean hours after the threat was identified and action was taken. Hundreds, if not thousands, of players needlessly exposed to the threat embedded in the support system of our game. I am disheartened at the lack of a timely response, and in my opinion a very weak and "laid back" response by the developer. No proactive nature to it. Deal with it is all I have heard with a great big smile on his face. The most, and best, information we have received has been by volunteer GMs that seem to care more for the player base than apparently the developer does. May be harsh but I am left with this feeling based on what I have observed so far.

This morning I can not sign into the game. My hard drive went nuts when I tried to log in. This is the first time I have had this amount of seeking and searching with the hard drive sounding like an elephant stampede. I have deleted the files as instructed once and was able to get into the game last night. I am reluctant to so again with my limited understanding of how this Blackhole Virus works. As a matter of fact, even after scanning repeatedly with BitDefender 2012 with the results being no infected files, I am reluctant to do anything of import with my PC. As it currently stands the launcher will not update. The launcher has taken in excess of 3 minutes of run time before the Wurm startup panel even displays. Not normal from my experience with the game.

Bottom line for me, after having my game access severely limited over the last couple of days, along with NO comprehensive informational support coming from the developer, I am not even going to attempt it until I know things are resolved. Should we use the Java console to log into the game? Would it be best to only launch from the web page? Would it be better to delete the entire game and start over? What was the threat really, how was it delivered, and to whom, and under what circumstances? Was everyone that connected actually infected? What is the most current version of the game we should expect to see? I did delete the graphics Jar and used the Java tool to down load the new files. After that I used the “new” web link “Play Now” button to be sure and two more files were changed. May be normal for more files to be changed but I really have never used a Java based game until now so I am unsure and concerned. The lack of information, direction, and support leave me feeling very vulnerable and more than a little upset.

To be clear also I am sure as hell not willing to wait patiently “as things get sorted over the next couple of weeks.”  My attitude would change if I had at least a little inkling that the developer was as concerned as we are about this issue. Shutting down the forums, wiki, and web site in general was too little too late to qualify as a competent, customer centric response.

If anyone has a link to a comprehensive article that addresses our gaming environment, or several articles to be taken in conjunction with each other please post it or PM me on this forum. I will be glad to do more research and make an informed decision on how to proceed.

Here is hoping things get resolved in an acceptable fashion within a respectable time frame.

Customer relations in Wurm are much like figuring out all the "mysteries" in game by yourself. If you want answers you just have to find a forum thread somewhere and speculate until a riot breaks out. After a while a few fanboys will come by and let you know that you are overreacting and that things rarely get all fucked up like they are now, but when they do, it's usually handled pretty quickly. In fact, what typically happens is that Rolf laughs all weekend eating special brownies and his paying customers drool over how much sleep bonus they'll get when he does get off his ass and sort shit out.

I give this game a 1/10...for piss poor development and a lack of attention to detail.

BTW, nice job linking to a forum that you have no control over and also is a hub for other people to discuss your product in an introductory fashion. What a great way to showcase how this game acutally conducts business.

• DoctercheseDocterchese Member Posts: 8

Dear the absolute idiots trying to slag off Wurm,

Have you ever tried to develop a game, from scratch, on your own? No? Then shut up.

I have. After 7 months, I ran out of time and resources. Rolf however has been going for 9 years - probably 9 years more than you.

I'll re-emphasise this: Wurm has been attacked by hackers. For the safety of Wurm's users, the forums, website and wiki have been taken down, in order to minimise the potential spread of the attack. Until then, Rolf and the team will undoubtedly working hard on bringing the website and stuff back up. And undoubtedly, Rolf will not want the attack to spread at all - which will explain the current unreliability of servers.

There has been minimal communication today (12th May) because Stargrace, Wurm's PR Manager, is severely ill with food poisoning. Because of that, we can't expect to see the constant twitter updates we're used to.

And to put all this into context: if you didn't turn up for work one day, would you want your boss to fire you immediately? Probably not. You probably had a good reason why you couldn't get to work.

The difference is that Rolf is, as ever, at work - if his hard work and effort is not satisfactory to you, then please stop trolling on unofficial Wurm forums, stop spreading nasty rumours and stop trying to derail the game. Instead, please f**k off. :)

Thanks,

Docterchese.

P.S. If you're a non-wurmian out there reading this thread... what we have here is a prime example of "Internet Orangutang." Unfortunately, these creatures have escaped from their cages - it is strongly recommended that you totally ignore what they say.

Originally posted by Docterchese

Have you ever tried to develop a game, from scratch, on your own? No? Then shut up.

I have. After 7 months, I ran out of time and resources. Rolf however has been going for 9 years - probably 9 years more than you.

I'll re-emphasise this: Wurm has been attacked by hackers. For the safety of Wurm's users, the forums, website and wiki have been taken down, in order to minimise the potential spread of the attack. Until then, Rolf and the team will undoubtedly working hard on bringing the website and stuff back up. And undoubtedly, Rolf will not want the attack to spread at all - which will explain the current unreliability of servers.

There has been minimal communication today (12th May) because Stargrace, Wurm's PR Manager, is severely ill with food poisoning. Because of that, we can't expect to see the constant twitter updates we're used to.

And to put all this into context: if you didn't turn up for work one day, would you want your boss to fire you immediately? Probably not. You probably had a good reason why you couldn't get to work.

The difference is that Rolf is, as ever, at work - if his hard work and effort is not satisfactory to you, then please stop trolling on unofficial Wurm forums, stop spreading nasty rumours and stop trying to derail the game. Instead, please f**k off. :)

Thanks,

Docterchese.

P.S. If you're a non-wurmian out there reading this thread... what we have here is a prime example of "Internet Orangutang." Unfortunately, these creatures have escaped from their cages - it is strongly recommended that you totally ignore what they say.

Dear "Dr. game developer failure" making excuses for another game developer failure,

Last I checked, I didn't have to know how to develop a game to play one. That's why I pay my subscription fee, you retard. If it isn't one fanboy making excuses for the shit level of direction for this game, it's another fanboy letting us all know that since we didn't make a shitty game ourselves after 9 years, then we should shut the fuck up. When you start paying my way, then you can tell me how to feel.

One more thing Doctornumbnuts, how is it YOU know more about the PR situation than anyone else? I guess some of us customers deserve to know more about what is going on than others. Are some of us more equal than others?

Get off your high horse and stop acting like some negative posts in this forum is derailing this game. The developer is doing a bang up job already in that department. So fuck off yourself.

Oops...I almost forgot the :) <---that makes my whole post nice now.

Docterchese,

The biggest truth is this, and you can't argue this.  Nine years he invested, and how many premium members are there after NINE years of work?  2000?  

2000 players?

For nine years and only 2000 players, that's terrible.  Minecraft has existed for only 2-4 years and has over a million.  So clearly Rolf has done bad somewhere along the line.  

• ZezdaZezda Member UncommonPosts: 686

Originally posted by Docterchese

Thanks,

Docterchese.

Dear "Dr. game developer failure" making excuses for another game developer failure,

Last I checked, I didn't have to know how to develop a game to play one. That's why I pay my subscription fee, you retard. If it isn't one fanboy making excuses for the shit level of direction for this game, it's another fanboy letting us all know that since we didn't make a shitty game ourselves after 9 years, then we should shut the fuck up. When you start paying my way, then you can tell me how to feel.

One more thing Doctornumbnuts, how is it YOU know more about the PR situation than anyone else? I guess some of us customers deserve to know more about what is going on than others. Are some of us more equal than others?

Get off your high horse and stop acting like some negative posts in this forum is derailing this game. The developer is doing a bang up job already in that department. So fuck off yourself.

Oops...I almost forgot the :) <---that makes my whole post nice now.

I do IT for a living and although I haven't ever made my own game I can imagine the *insane* amount effort Rolf has had to put into that game, as well as the others that work on it as I know there are a 'few' of them.

What you need to remember is that you need to line up your expectations with facts from reality. You can't demand the same service from the guys running Wurm as you would expect from a bigger mmo like Aion, TSW or WoW to name a few. Yes you might pay a similar sum of money but there are several reason why that isn't necessarily the case

Economies of scale springs to mind first of all.

I thoroughly recommend you read this

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Economies_of_scale

This can be one of the main reasons why smaller companies can struggle when going up against larger rivals when trying to give the same level of service. Of course the reasons specifically will vary from one product to the next but the bigger company can generally get better deals when it comes to labour/staffing and bulk purchases as well as having more financial power when it comes to things like borrowing money and other investments. By contrast the smaller companies tend to be more customer experience focused and can be more flexible in changing business practice to match the needs of their customers.

Don't get me wrong, It's terrible that this happened at all but you need to understand and be more thoughtfull for the guys who are running the game and understand that even though you feel entitled to a better service or 'as good as the service provided by x'  doesn't mean that the company can actually provide that level of service to you even if they wanted. I see this kind of stuff on a daily basis since in my job role as we get a lot of people passed our way by the biggest ISP in the UK and the level of service and help a lot of these people need just can't be done by the ISP's technical helpdesk in any reasonable way. That in itself one of the major reasons the department I work for even exists to begin with.

Docterchese,

The biggest truth is this, and you can't argue this.  Nine years he invested, and how many premium members are there after NINE years of work?  2000?  

2000 players?

For nine years and only 2000 players, that's terrible.  Minecraft has existed for only 2-4 years and has over a million.  So clearly Rolf has done bad somewhere along the line.  

There's so much wrong with this statement that I don't think I can even bring myself to try refute it properly :/

If you seriously think this then I feel sorry for you.

Popularity is not a measure of anythings worth in itself.

Originally posted by Zezda

Docterchese,

2000 players?

There's so much wrong with this statement that I don't think I can even bring myself to try refute it properly :/

If you seriously think this then I feel sorry for you.

Popularity is not a measure of anythings worth in itself.

Uh sure it is, popularity is a fine way to judge a game.  People don't stick around and play bad games, they don't endlessly invest hours of game time, monthly fees, and labor into a game they consider bad.  Do you?  Well.. after reading your post I suppose you may be that dumb, so don't answer that please.  

The problem is you don't want to refute it because you know I'll stomp you in an argument regarding it, but here I'll stomp you anyway.  Is World of Warcraft a good game?  That's debatable, see that is what is considered a personal opinion and taste.  A person may or may not enjoy the style, level system, graphics, quests, expansions, or various other content WoW has, but that is up to a player.  So, the same applies to Wurm Online - is it a good game?  Again, that is up to the player, some like it, and some don't.

What I am questioning is called success.  See, Zezda, a company must make money to power itself.  Do you think World of Warcraft could run if it had 2000 players?  No of course not, there would be no budget for artists, GMs, developers, and their whole entire team.  Success is determined by one variable - profit.  There is a difference between a good game, and a successful game.  Now I don't know if these terms are foreign to you, but I'm trying my best to make this easy so even a third grader (or someone of a third grade level education) can understand, so I am hoping this helps.

If a game has existed nine years, and it's peek subscriptions is around 2000-3000.  It's not successful.  That doesn't mean it's a bad game, but popularity is a measurement, if not the only, measurement of success.  It's a contradiction in itself to say, "This game is unsuccessful and has millions of players!"  That makes no sense, it's a paradox, you can not have a million players and be unsuccessful.  

So yes, I am serious.  I think there's a huge issue if you've been developing and working on a game for NINE years, and you've only accumulated 2 employees and 2000-3000 players.  Hundreds of games were created by one-person or indie teams in the course of less than NINE years and had far far far far better success - the most obvious being Minecraft.  It's proof that Wurm Online lacks something, and that it's development team is doing something wrong with such a slow incline in a playerbase.  

• AntonioVerdeAntonioVerde Member Posts: 10

This coming from a troll who is impersonating a real player from the game! These guys are a fine example of Mongol pride...

• RaffertyRafferty Member Posts: 9

Wow man…just wow.

What is with all the incivility? State your case with reason as best you can while continuing the debate. I have concerns, and I will state my case and move on. In retrospect I wish I had not posted in this public forum at all. Frustration got the best of me pure and simple. But we were pushed off into this venue so here we are.

Now with some of the content in this thread in mind I want to address the game play itself. Putting aside some communication improvements that are drastically needed from my perspective, the playability of the game is not a 1 out of 10, it is not terrible by a long shot. It is an awesome game in which I have enjoyed many hours. I lasted two months in a recent AAA game before being bored to tears. The story, the story! Well when you finish a good book you put it down and move on. This game however, along with the overall community, has been an amazing adventure. Does it need improvements? Absolutely! Can it better serve its player base? Without a doubt! But so can every other game in the market. Having said that Trion with Rift is about the best I have ever seen. But I understand our game does not have that kind of staff NOR the restrictive nature of investors to squelch the creativity potential of the game.  In this instance, and in my opinion, the response was just not adequate so I called it as I see it and hope for the best.

Zezda, I can't even fathom what economies of scale have to do with any of this. I doubt seriously that Rolf cares enough to learn a single thing about business, and it shows clearly in day to day operations. You are talking about a game that has no documentation, no roadmap for development, no marketing, over moderated game and forums, player-run support structure only, and a total lack of commitment from the developer. This guy literally has no clue what his own game is about or even how to play it. 9 years of development and you get what he have today. That's sad. And that has nothing to do with the scale of this game with respect to it's market.

Do you actually consider what is happening now to be an example of a company that is going to expand? Is anything that is happening right now considered an efficient example of how to grow a product? Wurm could likely last another 9 years in this very same state and a lot of you tards would be right there handing over the funds to pay for it. And as long as that happens, Rolf will continue to offer the same shit service. Facing facts is hard for gamers, but the simple fact is that this game, and developer, have been passed up by time and success. It is stuck in a rut of complacency, where the community enables a fat lazy Swede to sit on his ass and announce that he's bought a new mouse pad, while his game and company are compromised.

I'm not sure what world you live in where this business practice is normal. I will rest comfortably knowing that world is not based on reality in any way.

• WulfgarDKWulfgarDK Member Posts: 7

Docterchese,

2000 players?

I just quoted your whole post because it really just shows you are nothing more than a dumb troll. Did someone steal your candy bar? I think people figured out you don't like Rolf or this game much, why do you even spend time on these forums? I think Minecraft looks like the biggest pile of crap on earth but I haven't even glanced at the forums. Whats your agenda here? Trying to reduce Wurms player count by a few? The average Wurm player has enough intellect to recognise the dumb trolls here who got banned from Wurm and decided to dedicate the rest of their pathetic lives to trying to ruin the game for everyone else. Using this forum for a week or two probably will lose a few prospective new players but it doesn't matter much in the long run, sorry to burst your bubble there. You just keep up your effort by trolling here and spending lots of energy on hating, and I'll just sit back and enjoy watching all the steady progress and constantly rising premium player graph and laugh at your puny effort.

Have a nice day.

Zezda, I can't even fathom what economies of scale have to do with any of this. I doubt seriously that Rolf cares enough to learn a single thing about business, and it shows clearly in day to day operations. You are talking about a game that has no documentation, no roadmap for development, no marketing, over moderated game and forums, player-run support structure only, and a total lack of commitment from the developer. This guy literally has no clue what his own game is about or even how to play it. 9 years of development and you get what he have today. That's sad. And that has nothing to do with the scale of this game with respect to it's market.

Do you actually consider what is happening now to be an example of a company that is going to expand? Is anything that is happening right now considered an efficient example of how to grow a product? Wurm could likely last another 9 years in this very same state and a lot of you tards would be right there handing over the funds to pay for it. And as long as that happens, Rolf will continue to offer the same shit service. Facing facts is hard for gamers, but the simple fact is that this game, and developer, have been passed up by time and success. It is stuck in a rut of complacency, where the community enables a fat lazy Swede to sit on his ass and announce that he's bought a new mouse pad, while his game and company are compromised.

I'm not sure what world you live in where this business practice is normal. I will rest comfortably knowing that world is not based on reality in any way.

Econmies of scale is serving as an example of some of the business practices larger companies can employ to squeeze in extra facilities, staff or whatever else they need in order to provide a better experience while running at less cost per unit than previously. Not every business is in a position to leverage that kind of practice and MMO developers tend to run into this kind of problem quite a lot when they are just starting out I would imagine based on what I've seen.

Obviously Rolf doesn't know shit about running a businses compared to some people, that's because he's making a game first and foremost.

I also never mentioned anything about Wurm expanding and you know as well as I do his game is destined to fullfill a very small niche regardless of what happens due to the kind of game it is, period. It doesn't matter if he spent 30 years making it, it still wouldn't get a mass audience because it isn't that kind of game.

The line of reasoning that you obviously can't expect the same level of service simply because you pay the same amount of money seems lost on you, fair enough.

Originally posted by cs74la

Greets Kaiva

Yup, they're up, although some people, like me, have had trouble relogging.

My suggestion do what i do. Go to your wurm folder, delete the packs folder, then go to the website, click play now, to get the stable client again, let it down load. It took me like 5 attepmts before it actually started downloading, but it did...

Apparently the clearing up of the infected sites has had some reprecutions on the game servers as well.

This discussion has been closed.