Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Now the [Weekend Beta] NDA is lifted.... how big is the game world really?

JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965

So far (what's available in this weekend), the City of London is a HUGE dissapointment!

It's just a tiny hub!  A small block with just a couple of streets!

The world map is not available (how convinient to close that off from us), but fortunately the full Achievement system reveils the following:

- 3 tiny city hubs (London, NY, Seoul)

- 3 open areas ONLY (Kingsmouth, Scorced Desert and Transylvania) ???

- Bunch of instanced Dungeons.

- 3 instanced PVP maps.

So this is it for launch?  3 tiny hubs, 3 public areas/zones ONLY and a bunch of instanced dungeons, and 3 PVP maps ??

Please tell me this is not true?!

[mod note - the NDA is lifted for content in the weekend beta ONLY. Any other details are under NDA and will be removed.]

Comments

• BjelarBjelar Member UncommonPosts: 398

This is not true. Happy now? :)

Closed beta is still very much under NDA. The first weekend beta shows a very limited selection of the game.

• ClassicstarClassicstar Member UncommonPosts: 2,697

Its beta right so prolly change when game launches next month.

Hope to build full AMD system RYZEN/VEGA/AM4!!!

MB:Asus V De Luxe z77
    CPU:Intell Icore7 3770k
    GPU: AMD Fury X(waiting for BIG VEGA 10 or 11 HBM2?(bit unclear now))
    MEMORY:Corsair PLAT.DDR3 1866MHZ 16GB
    PSU:Corsair AX1200i

• fascismfascism Member UncommonPosts: 428

cant say much because of the NDA but you are wrong.

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965

Originally posted by Bjelar

Closed beta is still very much under NDA. The first weekend beta shows a very limited selection of the game.

The Achievement system is fully available and only shows exactly that what I described. And the official website also pretty much reflects this.

It would mean that even Age of Conan dwarfs this game completely with available OPEN explorable zones at launch. :-(

• fascismfascism Member UncommonPosts: 428

Originally posted by JeroKane

The Achievement system is fully available and only shows exactly that what I subscribed.

It would mean that even Age of Conan dwarfs this game completely with available OPEN explorable zones at launch. :-(

some of have seen almost the entire game, why argue?

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    The kingsmouth map we have is 1/3 of the new England area, there are another 2 playfields the same size in new England.

Egypt has 2

Transylvania has 3
    So there's 8 times the size of kingsmouth for outdoor playfields not 3 times.
    + your 3 cities, the fulang persistent pvp zone, and all the society ranking missions that take you to various "mini zones"
  • ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Ps not breaking nda, you can work this out from the map and the help in the open beta UI.
  • Chrome1980Chrome1980 Member Posts: 511

Originally posted by JeroKane

The Achievement system is fully available and only shows exactly that what I described. And the official website also pretty much reflects this.

You are wrong..read what shakyMO said, i don't want to repeat the same thing.

To be fair, OP's worries used to be my gratest worries too. I see where he's coming from.

TSW seems to be a very very differnt kind of game from AoC and other "clones". It playes differently. You will not like TSW if you try to play it like you are used to. Loads of players will not understand. It's common to ask for something differnt, but when you get it say "but this isn't how it's SUPPOSED to work!"

If you rush to the "endgame" in TSW, not only will is seem like a too short journey, you will end up with a terrible, weak and not very fun char to play with. You will find the game almost impossibly difficult. The game is by design made for developing your char broadly, trying out different things, explore zones. The natral flow of the game will then see to it that you character become ready for endgame when he/she is ready for the endgame.

Lots of players will quit long before this dawns on them, I'm afraid. They will try to play TSW like any other MMO, and end up with a one dimensional boring charachter. They will then quit. Sad.

• pdx2012pdx2012 Member Posts: 7

This game is huge and packed with content and quests -  the OPs worries are unfounded :)

• prizm1234prizm1234 Member UncommonPosts: 109

re iterating this, the weekend beta has a ton of stuff not accessable

• ExitarExitar Member Posts: 14

Originally posted by ShakyMo

The kingsmouth map we have is 1/3 of the new England area, there are another 2 playfields the same size in new England.

Egypt has 2

Transylvania has 3

+ your 3 cities, the fulang persistent pvp zone, and all the society ranking missions that take you to various "mini zones"

With all the possible interesting zones on Earth and the myth associated, there are really only 3?

No european capitals (Paris, Rome) or big US towns (NY, LA), no african jungle, no antartica, no orient (China/Japan), no South America?

Ok, New England, Egypt and Transylvania can be very large, but must I expect to spend 1/3 of the game in zones that look like Kingsmouth?

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

It's pretty damn huge OP much bigger than swtor, and doesn't feel disjointed.

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • MexorillaMexorilla Member Posts: 313

Did you even explore London?  the fight club is the size of Valley of Strength.

• kishekishe Member UncommonPosts: 2,012

Originally posted by Exitar

Egypt has 2

Transylvania has 3

With all the possible interesting zones on Earth and the myth associated, there are really only 3?

No european capitals (Paris, Rome) or big US towns (NY, LA), no african jungle, no antartica, no orient (China/Japan), no South America?

Ok, New England, Egypt and Transylvania can be very large, but must I expect to spend 1/3 of the game in zones that look like Kingsmouth?

Yeah! Damn them for not creating exact replica of whole world!

• VhalnVhaln Member Posts: 3,159

To be fair, OP's worries used to be my gratest worries too. I see where he's coming from.

TSW seems to be a very very differnt kind of game from AoC and other "clones". It playes differently. You will not like TSW if you try to play it like you are used to. Loads of players will not understand. It's common to ask for something differnt, but when you get it say "but this isn't how it's SUPPOSED to work!"

If you rush to the "endgame" in TSW, not only will is seem like a too short journey, you will end up with a terrible, weak and not very fun char to play with. You will find the game almost impossibly difficult. The game is by design made for developing your char broadly, trying out different things, explore zones. The natral flow of the game will then see to it that you character become ready for endgame when he/she is ready for the endgame.

Lots of players will quit long before this dawns on them, I'm afraid. They will try to play TSW like any other MMO, and end up with a one dimensional boring charachter. They will then quit. Sad.

Seriously? The way it seems 'different' to me, is a lot like how TOR is different. It's extremely story-centric, to the point of quests being the whole game. You don't 'grind' quests, because you're supposed to be enjoying the story, not trying to get through them.

Problem is, so much story emphasis is a niche that won't appeal to a lot of players. We skip through cut-scenes and try to grind through quests, because it's not what we're primarily enjoy in an MMO. Unless the gameplay is a lot different outside what the beta weekend shows, TSW just isn't for players like that. Not because we're doing it wrong, so much as it just not being what we want in a game.

I just wish they'd advertised the game more accurately, so that I'd have known this a long time ago, instead of just finding out now.

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

• just1opinionjust1opinion Member UncommonPosts: 4,641

Egypt has 2

Transylvania has 3

I was under the impression that Paris, NY,  Seoul, Korea....and assorted other big cities.....were to be in game?  WTF?  So all that is there is Kingsmouth, New England (more Kingsmouth-looking areas), London, and Transylvania??????

TELL ME that this is wrong, please.

President of The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club

• ExitarExitar Member Posts: 14

Originally posted by kishe

Egypt has 2

Transylvania has 3

Yeah! Damn them for not creating exact replica of whole world!

So if a game named "the Secret World" is composed of only 3 zone is fine for you. 2 would be fine? only 1?

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928

Originally posted by just1opinion

Egypt has 2

Transylvania has 3

I was under the impression that Paris, NY,  Seoul, Korea....and assorted other big cities.....were to be in game?  WTF?  So all that is there is Kingsmouth, New England (more Kingsmouth-looking areas), London, and Transylvania??????

TELL ME that this is wrong, please.

at release there will be 3 factions each in a major city so yes you'll get NY and Seoul

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• TheSedatedTheSedated Member Posts: 82

Originally posted by Mexorilla

Damn! I explored London about 2 hours yesterday and found most of the Templar background thingies (12/16 I'd say) but didn't find the Fightclub... But damn... The Templar headquarter looked like an old and honorable guild house in London should look. Just impressive, especially the Crucible. Oh, and I'm going to head back to Pangaea in London, reminded me a lot of that high class clothing shop in GTA4.

Originally posted by Vhaln

Seriously? The way it seems 'different' to me, is a lot like how TOR is different. It's extremely story-centric, to the point of quests being the whole game. You don't 'grind' quests, because you're supposed to be enjoying the story, not trying to get through them.

Problem is, so much story emphasis is a niche that won't appeal to a lot of players. We skip through cut-scenes and try to grind through quests, because it's not what we're primarily enjoy in an MMO. Unless the gameplay is a lot different outside what the beta weekend shows, TSW just isn't for players like that. Not because we're doing it wrong, so much as it just not being what we want in a game.

I just wish they'd advertised the game more accurately, so that I'd have known this a long time ago, instead of just finding out now.

if you want to "grind quests" then i don't think this is the game for you.  maybe something korean. 

the first hour i played last night i was really dissapointed/frustrated.  but once i decided to just explore the world and go at the "1 quest at a time" pace like they seem to have wanted me too,  i started have a lot of fun.  i think the quest system they have is top notch.  avoiding camera's,  figuring out how to get past lasers,  googling some 17th century artist.  the quests actually made you think to get past some of them.  they gave you as little info as possible,  and let you figure it out.  no more hand-holding.   you actually had to go look in the phonebook for an address to solve some of the quests.

that being said,  the combat is awful.  it's sloppy, lacks feeling,  and look messy.  i think they really need to focus on getting the combat up to par.  if they did this would be a great game. 

Originally posted by TheSedated

Originally posted by Mexorilla

Damn! I explored London about 2 hours yesterday and found most of the Templar background thingies (12/16 I'd say) but didn't find the Fightclub... But damn... The Templar headquarter looked like an old and honorable guild house in London should look. Just impressive, especially the Crucible. Oh, and I'm going to head back to Pangaea in London, reminded me a lot of that high class clothing shop in GTA4.

lol,  i do have a lot of cash after last night i might go buy some sunglasses today.

Originally posted by Vhaln

Yeah, I think you pretty much nailed it there. I don't think this game is everyone's cup of tea. You can of course skip every cutscene in the game. My second play-through that's pretty much what I did. But if you skip everything the first time around, you're gonna miss a lot of the story/setting.

• ZarriyaZarriya Member UncommonPosts: 446

Originally posted by pdx2012

This game is huge and packed with content and quests -  the OPs worries are unfounded :)

Thank  you for answerign this  adn you too bc bully - it was a concern of mine too.   Are there more opportunities to group up?  Right now its just the starting zone and in a lot of mmos starting zones are single player.  I am hoping the game pulls you to more of a mutliplayer aspect once you get deeper into  it.  I am enjoying myself so far.

Originally posted by Zarriya

Originally posted by pdx2012

Thank  you for answerign this  adn you too bc bully - it was a concern of mine too.   Are there more opportunities to group up?  Right now its just the starting zone and in a lot of mmos starting zones are single player.  I am hoping the game pulls you to more of a mutliplayer aspect once you get deeper into  it.  I am enjoying myself so far.

IMO this game is superb to explore with a friend in a group. Mobs easily get a touch too hard solo (airport/junkyard/priest island), but team up with a friend and it's great fun and you get nice gear quickly.