Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is it a problem that there are no elves and gnomes in TSW?

DaSpackDaSpack Member UncommonPosts: 589

I think it is safe to say that this site at least have a preference for fantasy MMOs? And when I say fantasy I mean good old elf and gnome sort of stuff. What do you think now with TSW, do you think the elfcrowd can play a MMO with no elfes or gnomes? I am a fantasy boi myself (but not that in love with elves and gnomes) and I feel that I am slowly getting a bit hyped about this title even though it's not bullseye in the middle of the fantasy genre. I think this title might have what it takes to accumulate a huge horde of fantasy players even though it's sort of special in that regard.  TSW might get as many players as Guildwars 2 by end of the beta weekends... Perhaps that thought is a bit optimistic, but it is certainly a possibility the way I see it. What's your opinion, do you think this title can grow big in a fanatsy crowd?

The Ultimate Breakdown

Comments

• AnzieAnzie Member Posts: 468

Who cares about elf or gnome when you have a triangle head look alike coming out of the ground with dual sword.

Originally posted by Spathotan
    The simplest way to put this, is like this. Buying a used/refurbished 360 is on the same plane as sharing a condom in a gangbang with strangers.
  • s1fu71s1fu71 Member Posts: 220

It's probably obvious for me to say this: I imagine that the "elf lovers" want something very specific in their games in the way of lore and setting.

I don't know many of my friends that love fantasy that would enjoy a "horror" genre MMO.

I grew up reading Lovecraft. I love that setting, so it appeals to me.

It's not about fighting, it's about balance. It's not about enlightenment, it's about balance. It's not about balance.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207

Originally posted by DaSpack

I think it is safe to say that this site at least have a preference for fantasy MMOs? And when I say fantasy I mean good old elf and gnome sort of stuff. What do you think now with TSW, do you think the elfcrowd can play a MMO with no elfes or gnomes? I am a fantasy boi myself (but not that in love with elves and gnomes) and I feel that I am slowly getting a bit hyped about this title even though it's not bullseye in the middle of the fantasy genre. I think this title might have what it takes to accumulate a huge horde of fantasy players even though it's sort of special in that regard.  TSW might get as many players as Guildwars 2 by end of the beta weekends... Perhaps that thought is a bit optimistic, but it is certainly a possibility the way I see it. What's your opinion, do you think this title can grow big in a fanatsy crowd?

really?

theres no gnomes and stuff in  EVE

EVE seems very popular on this site

• jdnewelljdnewell Member UncommonPosts: 2,237

I would have to disagree that most on this site love the fantasy setting. Or even MMO players in general. Its one reason I think TOR sold so many boxes is because it simply wasnt fantasy.

Not that me or my friends represent the community at large, but I know my circle of MMO players are sick to death of fanatsy games. Christ how many can they make?

Thanks god some devs have made or are making something different.

And yes i know GW2 is fantasy. And as good as it is I would probably skip it if it was not B2P.

• s1fu71s1fu71 Member Posts: 220

I guess another question could be: How many people just aren't into fantasy settings, and don't play MMO's very much if at all, would start playing because of a good horror genre?

So far, I've noticed that the population on horror games are small by comparison to fantasy games in general.

It's not about fighting, it's about balance. It's not about enlightenment, it's about balance. It's not about balance.

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,990

Fuck elves.

Would like to be able to make a little person though. Every mmo would benefit from a Tyrion running around.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• DerpybirdDerpybird Member Posts: 991

Do the majority of players really play games because they do/do not include elves or fantasy elements, or do they play games that contain components that they consider essential?

I'll play anything as long as the questing is interesting, the visuals are appealing, and the combat enjoyable. Additionally, the game has to catch me within the first couple of levels, I'm no longer willing to drudge through leveling to get to the "good stuff".

TSW isn't that far from a fantasy game- you have people using magic, using swords and hammers and fist weapons, they have ranged weapons (sure, they're assault weapons but not so different than a bow in how they function). I don't think the actual mechanics are that different.

What is different is a sort of survival horror theme in an MMO, which a lot of people are excited about.

But if they other components fall short, I'm not sure how this can be a success, at least in the way Funcom is imagining.

"Loading screens" are not "instances".
    Your personal efforts to troll any game will not, in fact, impact the success or failure of said game.

• kartoolkartool Member UncommonPosts: 520

You can't imagine how happy I am that MMO devs are starting to move away from high fantasy settings. I am so sick of elves.

• svannsvann Member RarePosts: 2,230

Originally posted by DaSpack

I think it is safe to say that this site at least have a preference for fantasy MMOs? 

No, I wouldnt say thats safe to say.  At least, safe as in being true.  In fact, a person would be safe in guessing that you posted that intending to get the opposite reaction - imo.

• dubyahitedubyahite Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

Any game that doesn't have elves instantly gets my attention as a possible purchase based on that alone.  

Shadow's Hand Guild
    Open recruitment for

The Secret World - Dragons

Planetside 2 - Terran Republic

Tera - Dragonfall Server

http://www.shadowshand.com

• prizm1234prizm1234 Member UncommonPosts: 109

fuck the elves drunken stereotypical dwarves holy paladin on some stupid divine quest bullshit

sick of "high fantasy" will never play an MMO in that setting again as long as i live, no matter how good it may seem

i sort of consider TSW more of a horror game than anything

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860

I have always put game play above the setting in a game. Elves, Orcs, Sith Warriors, Jedi Knights, a warm pile of elephant poo, or stick people, I will more than likely play it.

TSW game is fun and that is what matters. I played yesterday for about 6 hours and I will probably purchase the game, it has nothing to do with elves or gnomes though. :)

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.