Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The future is "Tera" and not about "GW2 or SW"

Comments

• Master10KMaster10K Member Posts: 3,065

Originally posted by Amjoco

I'm not here to deny Tera any of it's greatness, I have barely started playing. The graphics are awesome, the combat system is unique (somewhat), and the world seems fun. But....I dislike the entire community. The chat is just rampant with kids and it doesn't stop! I thought WoW Xroads was bad but it is nothing compared to this game. PG13-R for language! This video I captured just off hand because I wanted to send my son some of what Tera looked like while I played it. The more I recorded, the more I wanted to NOT send him anything like this. And its not the words that are disconcerting, it's just the entire conversations are just so 13ish. It's a real disappointment because I waited 2 weeks for the game in the mail and find out the community is terrible. The community is a huge part of any mmorpg and the moderators need to take control.

I'm only level 6 right now. I'm going to try another server and hopefully it will be better or this game, with all it's beautiful graphics will go on the shelf.

Yeah, I remember the Area Chat in TERA. It was the first time I've ever had to turn off that kind of chat in an MMORPG because it was so bad (usually I just turn off trade chat & block spammers). Kinda funny that they had to censor some aspects of the game to get the lower age rating, yet the female armour and the chat is as "mature" as ever. Here's another vid that goes over it.

• xposeidonxposeidon Member Posts: 384

Originally posted by Master10K

I'm not here to deny Tera any of it's greatness, I have barely started playing. The graphics are awesome, the combat system is unique (somewhat), and the world seems fun. But....I dislike the entire community. The chat is just rampant with kids and it doesn't stop! I thought WoW Xroads was bad but it is nothing compared to this game. PG13-R for language! This video I captured just off hand because I wanted to send my son some of what Tera looked like while I played it. The more I recorded, the more I wanted to NOT send him anything like this. And its not the words that are disconcerting, it's just the entire conversations are just so 13ish. It's a real disappointment because I waited 2 weeks for the game in the mail and find out the community is terrible. The community is a huge part of any mmorpg and the moderators need to take control.

I'm only level 6 right now. I'm going to try another server and hopefully it will be better or this game, with all it's beautiful graphics will go on the shelf.

Yeah, I remember the Area Chat in TERA. It was the first time I've ever had to turn off that kind of chat in an MMORPG because it was so bad (usually I just turn off trade chat & block spammers). Kinda funny that they had to censor some aspects of the game to get the lower age rating, yet the female armour and the chat is as "mature" as ever. Here's another vid that goes over it.

There goes that for the people that say p2p has better communities. It's pretty horrible on my server that's nothing.

Remember... all I'm offering is the truth. Nothing more.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Originally posted by gladosrev2

And when all is said and done, GW2 will remain as the sole survivor on the MMORPG scene, and the MMO of this decade, eventually replacing WoW.

Why?

Because it has what no other MMO has - devs who know how to do things right. Who understand what is wrong with MMO's today. And who have the courage to try to be innovative, and the will to take risks (B2P model). Nothing else matters really. Look at TESO, after the initial information, it is clear that the game is destined to fail, and I won't look at it even if they completely change the design, because their decision makers clearly have no clue about anything.

/fanboymode on

As things stand now, for me the GW2 login screen > TERA :)

/faboymode off

I don´t think so. First of all is GW2 a bit harder than many MMOs and the people who tires of constant dying will want something else. Secondly is the game not for raiders, they also will want something else.

That a single MMO will take over after Wow is probably not even realistic.

Then there is another thing: console MMOs. You might laugh now but console FPS games had the same effect 10 years ago, noone believed in them.

Ported PC games will never do good but ANETs founder (lead designer of Diablo, WC3, GW1 and GW2 for the first 3 years) and his Undead labs is working on the first real console MMO called "Class 4". It will be a lot different from any MMO you seen (including GW2), B2P and have one of the best dev teams ever.

I think there will be about 3 great games and a bunch of smaller around them, Tera will belong to the second group.

• cyress8cyress8 Member Posts: 832

Originally posted by xposeidon

There goes that for the people that say p2p has better communities. It's pretty horrible on my server that's nothing.

Heh, yeah,  from closed beta to launch.  The chat is as horrible as ever.  If anything the community will kill the game.  It is constant dickery going on in the chat.  Drama and attention whores abound.

BOOYAKA!

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860

Thanks for that link. It was actually very well done. The guy did sound like TotalBiscuit and I had to do a double check. 

Anyway, ya that is pretty much what I was bringing up here for discussion. I'm not trying to hijack the topic, but if the future is Tera's, something needs to be fixed at the foundation of its existence, and that is with the community.  

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• KalferKalfer Member Posts: 779

But for all that TERA does right, does it fall into the same pitfalls of those games before it? How do you know that you are really playing with other people in a meaningful way? 

This I think has been Guild Wars 2s greatest strength.

• ThorkuneThorkune Member UncommonPosts: 1,969

it's just the entire conversations are just so 13ish. It's a real disappointment because I waited 2 weeks for the game in the mail and find out the community is terrible. The community is a huge part of any mmorpg and the moderators need to take control.

You might as well quit now. I have created characters on several different servers and they all contain the same childish community. I thought going to an RP server would be better, but it isn't at all. I normally pick RP servers because the adults tend to go there...not the case here.

I decided to look past the "issue" that I had with the game and try it again, but the community is going to cause me to shelf it for good. It's like they took every single Barren's chat user and threw them into Tera.

• Terminus-EstTerminus-Est Member UncommonPosts: 352

I am inclinded to agree with the OP, as least in senitment. I bought Tera on a whim, much in the same way as I bought Rift. I intended to play for the free month and cancel. I wanted to play just for a bit of fun with no long term intent. This is what I did with Rift and I am quite happy with what I got out of it.

However, after playing Tera, I think I have been a bit spoiled. The dynamic combat system makes everything so much more fresh and alive that any game I play now with the WoW/SWTOR style hotbar clicking just seems stale and boring. The combat in Tera adds so much to the game.

I agree that Tera is lacking in other ways. The quests are a bit boring, I don't like the anime style, I would rather have voice overs than text boxes, there is a lack of customization and weaponary. But I do think (hope!) that the combat in Tera will inspire the MMOs of the future to take a more dynamic approach. In this sense I think Tera has been a great contribution to the MMO field.

Look at it this way. How great would SWTOR be if it had Tera style combat? Imagine the dynamism of light sabre combat, the force push and pulls, the on the hoof lightening attacks. It would be fantastic - but instead, SWTOR has dull, undynamic, static, boring combat that is the antithesis of everything Star Wars.

• Chrome1980Chrome1980 Member Posts: 511

The future is games with dynamic events and focus on community and players. So far GW2 and TESO are the only two MMOS which imo can be considered to be leading way for future MMOS in themepark genre. Generic kill x and collect y quest hub linear themepark is surely not the future and Tera falls into this category of beign stuck in past.

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860

Originally posted by bigsmiff

it's just the entire conversations are just so 13ish. It's a real disappointment because I waited 2 weeks for the game in the mail and find out the community is terrible. The community is a huge part of any mmorpg and the moderators need to take control.

You might as well quit now. I have created characters on several different servers and they all contain the same childish community. I thought going to an RP server would be better, but it isn't at all. I normally pick RP servers because the adults tend to go there...not the case here.

I decided to look past the "issue" that I had with the game and try it again, but the community is going to cause me to shelf it for good. It's like they took every single Barren's chat user and threw them into one MMO.

Well, I will get my free 30 dayss out more than likely, but if this is the case I will not resubscribe. TSW is out about the same time my sub expires so I will probably switch over to that until GW2 comes out.

Hey you fans of Tera, I'm not flaming your game at all. It is a beautiful game and I hope you continue to enjoy it. I'm 53 years old, was in the military with all of it's abusive language for 24 years, but nothing can prepare an adult for that type of uncensored/unecessary behavior. 

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• MrP3inMrP3in Member UncommonPosts: 49

i agree with you m8 :)

• Ambros123Ambros123 Member Posts: 877

Tera is the "future" just like how people chalked up how SWTOR will be the "future" of MMOs?

The future is this, there will be a greater variety of MMOs of superb quality not some single MMO.

• Methos12Methos12 Member UncommonPosts: 1,244

Originally posted by Ambros123

The future is this, there will be a greater variety of MMOs of superb quality not some single MMO.

This is something I can agree with. There will never again be another WoW, purely becuase the market is so fractioned right now and there are many tastes you can cater to with different games. Only good things can come from this... provided people can sort out worthwhile titles from those that aren't.

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
  • just1opinionjust1opinion Member UncommonPosts: 4,641

TERA may be YOUR future, OP, but it's certainly not mine.  I love the way people make statements that are opinions....as though they are facts.  Always cracks me up.

Enjoy the game you like and let others do the same.  I'm glad you found something that delights you so.

President of The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club

• AbdullaDooAbdullaDoo Member Posts: 60

I've put a number of people on ignore in TERA, and that really helped things immensely.  In fact, if you take those clowns out of the mix TERA actually has a number of happy, helpful people playing it in my experience.

But yeah, TERA's starting island makes TOR's Dromund Kaas and WoW's Crossroads look like decent places to hang out by comparison.

• AvanahAvanah Member RarePosts: 1,615

Originally posted by Volkon

Tera will be one of the last nails in the coffin of the kill-ten-rat static worlds.

Actually GW2 will be. Quote me now. I will be back and say "I told you so." If I am wrong, I will also come back and eat pigs feet. :)

Book it!

"My Fantasy is having two men at once...

One Cooking and One Cleaning!"

---------------------------

"A good man can make you feel sexy,

strong and able to take on the whole world...

oh sorry...that's wine...wine does that..."

• CursedseiCursedsei Member Posts: 1,012

Honestly I'm going to have to agree about TERA not being a part of the "future", at least in my opinion.

The opening "tutorial" was light on the tutorial and heavy on disjointed and awkward to me.

And the worst way to start the game, is to give me not just one quest chain, but two, right at the start that play out like this.

Story Quest 1: Hey, go down the hill and talk to the person just before the bridge!

Side quest next to SQ1: Hey, talk to this person who is a little ways back from the bridge!

Story Qest 2: Hey, go across the bridge and talk to this guy!

Side Quest 2: Hey, go across the bridge and talk to this guy too! Side quest done.

Story Quest 3: Hey, go kill those trees, they've been acting weird and we don't know why.

Story Quest 4: Hey, go kill those same trees again, and collect some branches, they've been acting weird and we don't know why.

So. Much. Freaking! REDUNDANCY!!

I also wasn't all that impressed with the active combat. At least for the class I was playing, its not all that active when you have just the left mouse button to spam over and over. Other games at least give you some starter skills to use at the beginning. Honestly I was more impressed by RaiderZ (god awful name excluded) than by Tera.

As for the graphics? Sure they are pretty, but they are running on the Unreal Engine. That thing makes it easy to have "OOO PRETTY" Graphics at the cost of texture pop-ins, and none of the games. NONE. Have ever been able to avoid that. It'll only get worse in an active environment like an MMO.

• Lord_AthonLord_Athon Member UncommonPosts: 165

Originally posted by joocheese

Originally posted by lordathon

Not trolling about a title... just the game types.

What we are expecting is just what we all want to see and experience. Even when some of us dont want to say it.

- Excelent graphics

- Major excelence for the game engine

- great speed conection servers

- large community...

- no bugs (ok, those stupid walls...)

- Ok... those instanced territories are not so great. Really, on a Pk world with an instanced environment. what did u meant guys?

I think action play base for MMORPG  is for the moment the real thing. All the rest is just more of the same.

I know the questy base is a bit stupid, but is a way. Hopping for news from the eldest/eastern world, like always on this business.

I was hoping a bit of mix classes (hmm gw2, lol), but ok im "old school" and i wanted a more complicated game, but it's ok.

btw..im a 20+y gamer... just a bit respect for my opinion. ^-^

nice gaming

Edit: the SW in the title meant for "The Secret World", or you know what...

your biggest and most important problem lordathon is not your understanding of mmorpgs or their various gameplay systems, but rather... that you're a Benfica fan!

Hmmm ^-^

Disagree =)

• Rikus25Rikus25 Member Posts: 82

Originally posted by xposeidon

Um... how about immersive, interesting, detailed, complex, variety, choice, innovative, explorable, but above all... fun? I guess players are not expecting this anymore?

I agree and it doesnt seem games are going to have that. Its just my opinion but the MMORPG is dead. Thank you WoW! I blame you and all the 12 years olds who played it.

Originally posted by sonoggi

OP is a big fat troll. everyone knows GW2 is the future.

I started to say that

Not trolling about a title... just the game types

My opinio, and is just it, is that the instanced game type isnt good on a mmo, and i do like the sensation of pk (near lvls, not ganking).

• hikaru77hikaru77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,123

http://tera.enmasse.com/server-status 

Thats tera server status, like 3 weeks after launch, and ¨recommended¨ mean ¨Low¨.   Yes tera is the future.

• SoulOfRazielSoulOfRaziel Member UncommonPosts: 405

What we are expecting is just what we all want to see and experience. Even when some of us dont want to say it.

- Excelent graphics

- Major excelence for the game engine

- great speed conection servers

- large community...

- no bugs (ok, those stupid walls...)

- Ok... those instanced territories are not so great. Really, on a Pk world with an instanced environment. what did u meant guys?

I think action play base for MMORPG  is for the moment the real thing. All the rest is just more of the same.

I know the questy base is a bit stupid, but is a way. Hopping for news from the eldest/eastern world, like always on this business.

I was hoping a bit of mix classes (hmm gw2, lol), but ok im "old school" and i wanted a more complicated game, but it's ok.

btw..im a 20+y gamer... just a bit respect for my opinion. ^-^

nice gaming

Edit: the SW in the title meant for "The Secret World", or you know what...

I do not agree =] i htink that the only thing tera have that may be used in future mmorpg is the combat.... the rest of it is just not good enough. Well thats only what i think

PS: i am currently playing tera so it does not mean i dnot like it...

• JayarisJayaris Member Posts: 308

The only thing I don't like about GW2 is the combat system.

Hi

This was (till now) a nice discussion, but what i meant was technical features of a game like Tera, not that specific game.

I enjoy it, specially the combat system, but obviously (looking for my signature) that i trully expect great things for GW2. Even it doesnt have the pk system, that i do like (not ganking low lvls).

Btw, why for some people is so disturbing someone asks respect for their opinion? why is that?!

• ariestearieste Member UncommonPosts: 3,309

Btw, why for some people is so disturbing someone asks respect for their opinion? why is that?!

Because asking for respect is pointless.  Respect is earned.  If your opinion earns people's respect, you will have it.  If it doesn't, it won't.  Simple as that.

Regarding, TERA, i disagree with most of your post.  I found questing and NPC dialogue in general to be terrible.  It's an asian game though, so it's written for asian audiences.  I can only assume that people from easterns cultures find the setting / story / npcs to be acceptable.  I had the same problem with AION, it was just awful.  From your signature on the other hand, i see that AION is your favourite game.  I can definitely see how someone who enjoyed AION would like TERA, as it basically IS AION, only with more interactive combat.

I found the combat rather boring and clumsy personally,  but i am not a fan of "free-aim" combat mechanics in the first place.  And of course i only played the very early levels.  

Graphics looked good, but the art style was a bit over the top for me.  I prefer a bit more realistic.

"I’d rather work on something with great potential than on fulfilling a promise of mediocrity."

- Raph Koster

Tried: AO,EQ,EQ2,DAoC,SWG,AA,SB,HZ,CoX,PS,GA,TR,IV,GnH,EVE, PP,DnL,WAR,MxO,SWG,FE,VG,AoC,DDO,LoTRO,Rift,TOR,Aion,Tera,TSW,GW2,DCUO,CO,STO
    Favourites: AO,SWG,EVE,TR,LoTRO,TSW,EQ2, Firefall
    Currently Playing: ESO