Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is the game really that gear dependent?

13»

Comments

• RictisRictis Member UncommonPosts: 1,300

From my experience in Tera which is up to level 37 on Dragonfall (PVE server) and my experience pvping through duels I can say that this is how they base it. It goes Level > Skill > Gear. So when your the same level, Skill is the deciding factor. Gear does help, however I have never seen anyone 1 shot, not even with a level of difference of 3-5. Now it is possible to be 1 - shot in the essence of combos, so if a Berzerker gets you on the ground and he has charge up glyphs for his big damage skills he might be able to clear you out in that time frame. However you then have to take into consideration Retaliate skills that every class gets and factor that in, so it is very difficult for anyone to kill you quickly in this game unless you stand still.

WoW PVP and Tera PVP are on completely different levels. WoW requires GEAR, Tera requires Skill moreso then GEAR. I have 6 capped out classes in WoW and I can safely tell you if you are a new 80 against an 80 with a full set of gear, you will 99.9% of the time die. In Tera as long as you understand your class well and what the other class can do, you have the ability to win on equal grounds.

*TL/DR : Tera is not as reliant on gear as other MMO's.

• kanedaAkanedaA Member Posts: 66

Originally posted by citalkay

The idea of the game being heavily gear dependent is making me worry quite a bit.

Can anyone confirm that the game is heavily gear dependent?

for pve it is for pvp not so much tera is  all about skill not gear

unlike the rest of tab target overated games wich all are gear dependent

did lots of duels/pvp with greens/blues while gankers came to me with full golds +9-12 and still manage to kill them...

• DraemosDraemos Member UncommonPosts: 1,521

The idea of the game being heavily gear dependent is making me worry quite a bit.

Yep, it is all things being equal.  There is a significant skill component though.  A  person who has the best gear in the game but can't dodge is trash.

• kutervkuterv Member Posts: 28

Originally posted by kanedaA

for pve it is for pvp not so much tera is  all about skill not gear

unlike the rest of tab target overated games wich all are gear dependent

did lots of duels/pvp with greens/blues while gankers came to me with full golds +9-12 and still manage to kill them...

ahahah nope =D Bers with cool gear = oneshot without not .... + games where u could ench ur gear = gear dependent because guy with + 9 weopon have got lots of benefits .... and also all kor games = gear dependent 

• kutervkuterv Member Posts: 28

Originally posted by Draemos

Yep, it is all things being equal.  There is a significant skill component though.  A  person who has the best gear in the game but can't dodge is trash.

In some way yes but guys with cool gear could oneshot u and u with trash need to hit him like 6 times with more powerfull skill ..... and dodge system in tera not so perfect so u could like dodge fine mb once 15 sec or something like this .... dodge there mb when bers vs bers =D ahahah

• rexzshadowrexzshadow Member Posts: 1,428

Is it just me or is Kuterv just typing in his/her own languge o.o?

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

Originally posted by SoulOfRaziel

Yes it is gear dependent and in PvP it is unbelievable how much it is Lvl dependent and not player skill dependent

That's one thing I was afraid of. I'm a big fan of skill over gear. Glad I didn't pre-order the game or buy it at the store the other day out of boredom.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• rexzshadowrexzshadow Member Posts: 1,428

Originally posted by Tayah

Originally posted by SoulOfRaziel

Yes it is gear dependent and in PvP it is unbelievable how much it is Lvl dependent and not player skill dependent

That's one thing I was afraid of. I'm a big fan of skill over gear. Glad I didn't pre-order the game or buy it at the store the other day out of boredom.

I like how everyoen who say its gear>skill never played PvP much and only experienced it through ganking. As some one who been pvping a lot after hitting 60, Gears barely matter. I fought people wiht +9 weapons with my full +0 set and i seen peopel fight other with +6-9 gear with full +0 winning or holding their own perfectly fine. So yes the lvl different matter and it sucks but Skill > Gear period.

• HeroEvermoreHeroEvermore Member Posts: 672

1/3 gear dependant

2/3 level dependant

This is in reference to grinding and dungeon survivability. Mobs are orange "con" to you when they are 2 lvls higher unlike many other mmos that would take 4-5 lvl difference. This is intended so you are pushed towards the right quest hubs to suit your level. You start getting many quest locations later on (im lvl 56 right now) and when you pass certain gaps of quests you will notice mobs jump a few or more levels. This is usually an indicator that you should be seeking another quest hub location.

Now obviously at lvl 60. gear is a whole other factor as in almost any mmorpg. complaining about that is just your lack of enjoyment of this genre imo.

Gear will help you but it wont win for you. This is truly a skill based game. You get hit by that enraged monsters special and who gives a crap what gear you have on. If you cant handle it. Go play gw2 (tehe).

Hero Evermore
    Guild Master of Dragonspine since 1982.
    Playing Path of Exile and deeply in love with it.

• InFlamestwoInFlamestwo Member Posts: 662

More level dependant than gear dependant.

Hero Evermore

• JaylanonyousJaylanonyous Member Posts: 31

Skill > Gear.  It's a RPG, it's inevitable that gear will help you. But that honestly doesnt mean much. The only time it would be Gear > skill is if you two are the exact same, skill wise. 

If the guy with the uber gear owned you, odds are he would own you with bad gear. Even in some MMO's like Rift a good player can run around naked and still do better than the bads.

• RivalenRivalen Member Posts: 503

Prior to level cap: Level > Class > Skill > Gear

At level cap: Class > Gear > Skill

Like in most MMOs.

• ukiss2903ukiss2903 Member Posts: 69
    This game is not gear dependant, well, not really. This game is base on your individual skills. If someone higher than u 3 lvl, they can beat u easily no matter what gear ur wearing. If u know how to use ur char properly and know what u are doing, u can beat anyone at ur lvl even if they have better gear than u. But if u and ur opponent are good or suck, then gear is what it matters.

An important thing to note regarding gear dependancy vs level. At level 60 the weapons get a VERY large statistical boost so expect some hard hitting 60s.

Hero Evermore

• Cuppett5Cuppett5 Member UncommonPosts: 156

lvl makes a huge difference in this game. if your same lvl its a good fight, if you fight someone lower lvl then you will own them, if you fight someone higher lvl then you are just gonna get raped.