Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

TERA - To buy or not to buy? That is the question!

Comments

• CeromusCeromus Member UncommonPosts: 114

Originally posted by Mamora59

I would wait till a trial comes out or you can get a friend invite.

I gave Tera a shot in Beta and was unconvinced. The combat and the graphics were the only thing it had going for it. Aside from that  it felt like SWTOR to me. Same ol quests every time minus the cutscenes and your actions have no effect on the world around you.

If it was F2P then i would consider buying it but thats still iffy for me. I have a knack when it comes to MMOS that when i do something within the game i would expect SOMETHING to change in the world around me. Like my actions had consequences or something, but thats just me. Maybe im asking for too much.

Only thing Tera has going for it is the combat. It wont be enough to keep people subbing for long.

To me combat is the most important aspect of the game.  There is a huge difference between doing boring quests with a lame combat system and doing quests with a great combat system (helps that my main is a slayer as well).  Your actions actually do have some effects on the world around you but only in regards to NPC's.   For example you may find yourself killing an important individual in a quest line and you will not see him again.   Thats not bad at all considering they do it without zoning players.

People either enjoy the combat or they don't.   If you like the combat alot then you'll enjoy Tera.  If you like the combat some but enjoy PvP then youll probably enjoy Tera.  If you hate the combat and you still hate it after hours of trying it then its highly likely that you will not like Tera.

I doubt it will be F2P anytime soon.

• Mamora59Mamora59 Member Posts: 17

Originally posted by Ceromus

Originally posted by Mamora59

I would wait till a trial comes out or you can get a friend invite.

I gave Tera a shot in Beta and was unconvinced. The combat and the graphics were the only thing it had going for it. Aside from that  it felt like SWTOR to me. Same ol quests every time minus the cutscenes and your actions have no effect on the world around you.

If it was F2P then i would consider buying it but thats still iffy for me. I have a knack when it comes to MMOS that when i do something within the game i would expect SOMETHING to change in the world around me. Like my actions had consequences or something, but thats just me. Maybe im asking for too much.

Only thing Tera has going for it is the combat. It wont be enough to keep people subbing for long.

To me combat is the most important aspect of the game.  There is a huge difference between doing boring quests with a lame combat system and doing quests with a great combat system (helps that my main is a slayer as well).  Your actions actually do have some effects on the world around you but only in regards to NPC's.   For example you may find yourself killing an important individual in a quest line and you will not see him again.   Thats not bad at all considering they do it without zoning players.

People either enjoy the combat or they don't.   If you like the combat alot then you'll enjoy Tera.  If you like the combat some but enjoy PvP then youll probably enjoy Tera.  If you hate the combat and you still hate it after hours of trying it then its highly likely that you will not like Tera.

I doubt it will be F2P anytime soon.

I get what you mean. Dont get me wrong i LOVED the combat. It was fun and a blast, BUT as you progress the NPCS you fight are the same, the quests are the same.  There has to be more to the game then just the combat or its gonna get stale really fast. 1 c hocolate bar is good...10 is too many.

• Creslin321Creslin321 Member Posts: 5,359

Here's my take...

Positives:

The combat is Tera is very nice.  It is completely 100% action oriented.  As in, you push a button, you swing or fire, and things in the way get hit.  I really enjoyed the combat.

The monsters in TERA were also cool.  Many of them have "tells" for big attacks that you need to react to if you want to do well in combat.

The graphics are also great.  I would say it's about the same as GW2 in terms of pure graphical quality, and that's a good thing.

Negatives:

The quest design and leveling is the same as any WoW clone MMORPG.  You go to a quest hub, pick up a bunch of dull quests about killing X of Y or picking Z berries.  Complete the quest, and return.

The classes are very much locked into specific roles.  If you are a sorceror, you will be doing damage and only damage.  There isn't much flexibility like in other games like Rift or GW2 that allow for you to handle multiple roles with one class.

From what I hear grouping is pretty much required at higher levels.  If you're into that, that's great, but I prefer to always have the option to solo.  (Note:  I have heard that some classes like Mystic and Lancer can solo effectively).

Overall:

Unfortunately, I was not that pleased with TERA.  I acknolwedge that its combat is great and refreshing, but for me, it all boiled down to being yet another quest hub MMO...and I'm just sick of it.  I would say that if you are not tired of the traditional quest hub thing and you are looking for a new take on combat, then you may really enjoy Tera.

If, on the other hand, you are like me and are so sick of quest hub MMO's that you can't really tolerate another one...then I would pass on Tera.

Are you team Azeroth, team Tyria, or team Jacob?

• rexzshadowrexzshadow Member Posts: 1,428

Originally posted by Creslin321

Here's my take...

Positives:

The combat is Tera is very nice.  It is completely 100% action oriented.  As in, you push a button, you swing or fire, and things in the way get hit.  I really enjoyed the combat.

The monsters in TERA were also cool.  Many of them have "tells" for big attacks that you need to react to if you want to do well in combat.

The graphics are also great.  I would say it's about the same as GW2 in terms of pure graphical quality, and that's a good thing.

Negatives:

The quest design and leveling is the same as any WoW clone MMORPG.  You go to a quest hub, pick up a bunch of dull quests about killing X of Y or picking Z berries.  Complete the quest, and rLieturn.

The classes are very much locked into specific roles.  If you are a sorceror, you will be doing damage and only damage.  There isn't much flexibility like in other games like Rift or GW2 that allow for you to handle multiple roles with one class.

Not always a negative, I personally like the set rolls and there other who like it so really depends on your personal taste.

From what I hear grouping is pretty much required at higher levels.  If you're into that, that's great, but I prefer to always have the option to solo.  (Note:  I have heard that some classes like Mystic and Lancer can solo effectively).

Like every other mmorpgs.... WoW and Rift both require group to do dungeons and do raids. Its not much different in Tera, you have to group for dungeons just like almost every other mmorpgs out there. Leveling wise is completely solable, might not be the easy or fast but total doable.

Overall:

Unfortunately, I was not that pleased with TERA.  I acknolwedge that its combat is great and refreshing, but for me, it all boiled down to being yet another quest hub MMO...and I'm just sick of it.  I would say that if you are not tired of the traditional quest hub thing and you are looking for a new take on combat, then you may really enjoy Tera.

If, on the other hand, you are like me and are so sick of quest hub MMO's that you can't really tolerate another one...then I would pass on Tera.

I don't mind the quests,  I don't like how much of it is chained though.  For the ones that hate the quests did you guys play UO and/or AC?

Originally posted by rexzshadow

Here's my take...

Positives:

Negatives:

The quest design and leveling is the same as any WoW clone MMORPG.  You go to a quest hub, pick up a bunch of dull quests about killing X of Y or picking Z berries.  Complete the quest, and rLieturn.

Not always a negative, I personally like the set rolls and there other who like it so really depends on your personal taste.

Like every other mmorpgs.... WoW and Rift both require group to do dungeons and do raids. Its not much different in Tera, you have to group for dungeons just like almost every other mmorpgs out there. Leveling wise is completely solable, might not be the easy or fast but total doable.

Overall:

yeah I acknowledge your points.  And I only heard that you had to group for quests later on to level, so that could be misinformation.

I never got past level 12 because the questing just turned me off to much.  I struggled to make it off the first island, and then when I saw it was just more of the same out in the world...I had, had enough.

• Mamora59Mamora59 Member Posts: 17

Here's my take...

Positives:

Negatives:

Overall:

yeah I acknowledge your points.  And I only heard that you had to group for quests later on to level, so that could be misinformation.

I never got past level 12 because the questing just turned me off to much.  I struggled to make it off the first island, and then when I saw it was just more of the same out in the world...I had, had enough.

I agree cres...i was so happy to be off that island but once i got to the forest i was like.....ok im done.

I don't mind the quests,  I don't like how much of it is chained though.  For the ones that hate the quests did you guys play UO and/or AC?

I hated the quests, and I played both.

That said, I enjoyed quest hubs in WoW.  But after WAR, AoC, Rift, and SWTOR, I'm just completely burned out on them.  I went from reading every quest in WoW to not reading a single quest in modern games.

They are just all the same.  Every single one is just a slight variation on some theme...none are interesting.  And they are all so formula.

I dunno, it's kind of like how you might really like the first Michael Bay movie you see...but then when you're watching your twentieth "special effects extravaganza" with a recycled plot, you just want to shoot yourself.

The only quest you have to party for are ones in dungeons which you can easily skip. BAM quest are soloable but just very time effective unless you have a full group but than again how most game are. I'll say people look for different things, questing has always been a means to a end for me so i never really cared how it was, but everyone wants different things out of games.

• NadriellNadriell Member UncommonPosts: 197
    I bought two copies. tera is my secret guilty pleasure whebI am done with the responsibilities of being a guild leader In wow. after our 7 dungeons, rbgs, and weekly raids I secretly slip away and let tera whisper sweet nothings in my ear. the combat in tera is what I love. tera has me for a while atleast until archage comes out.

The only quest you have to party for are ones in dungeons which you can easily skip. BAM quest are soloable but just very time effective unless you have a full group but than again how most game are. I'll say people look for different things, questing has always been a means to a end for me so i never really cared how it was, but everyone wants different things out of games.

And this sums up my problem with the quest based system quite nicely.

They are a means to an end.  No one I know actually enjoys quest hubs, they just tolerate them to chase some carrot that sometimes doesn't even exist.

I don't play games as a "means to an end."  That's called work.  And I'm basically to the point where I'm not going to waste days of my life being miserable in a quest grind with the hopes of reaching some mythical carrot where everything becomes amazing, when I could be doing something better.

• Bad.dogBad.dog Member UncommonPosts: 1,131

And this sums up my problem with the quest based system quite nicely.

They are a means to an end.  No one I know actually enjoys quest hubs, they just tolerate them to chase some carrot that sometimes doesn't even exist.

I don't play games as a "means to an end."  That's called work.  And I'm basically to the point where I'm not going to waste days of my life being miserable in a quest grind with the hopes of reaching some mythical carrot where everything becomes amazing, when I could be doing something better.

I agree the days of spoon fed quest lines are long past due

That said, I enjoyed quest hubs in WoW.  But after WAR, AoC, Rift, and SWTOR, I'm just completely burned out on them.  I went from reading every quest in WoW to not reading a single quest in modern games.

They are just all the same.  Every single one is just a slight variation on some theme...none are interesting.  And they are all so formula.

I dunno, it's kind of like how you might really like the first Michael Bay movie you see...but then when you're watching your twentieth "special effects extravaganza" with a recycled plot, you just want to shoot yourself.

Well then you remember in UO the grind/macroing etc you needed to do to build up your character.   Also the massive grind of AC...sure there were quests but they were mostly about getting an item rather than experience.

My point is that before quests were just had a horrible grind.   You can dress it up in a different package like GW2 did but in the end its still questing.  People prefer questing over grinding, like achievements it gives them some sort of task and sense of accomplishment.    I didn't enjoy wow's attempts to make quests interesting for example walking around scooping through poop...I would much rather kill targets.   If I wanted people to enjoy pve event id pull a Bael'Zharon like in AC.  Were you playing during that time?  Nothing more motivational than a player controlled super power going around killing players lol.

One thing id like to point out is WoW got praise for the relationship between westfall and deadminds how the zone story lead into the instance.   Tera does this everytime and no praise has been given at all.  People wanted no auto attack, no tab targetting, and Tera gives it to them and some people still arent satisfied.

Well then you remember in UO the grind/macroing etc you needed to do to build up your character.   Also the massive grind of AC...sure there were quests but they were mostly about getting an item rather than experience.

My point is that before quests were just had a horrible grind.   You can dress it up in a different package like GW2 did but in the end its still questing.  People prefer questing over grinding, like achievements it gives them some sort of task and sense of accomplishment.    I didn't enjoy wow's attempts to make quests interesting for example walking around scooping through poop...I would much rather kill targets.   If I wanted people to enjoy pve event id pull a Bael'Zharon like in AC.  Were you playing during that time?  Nothing more motivational than a player controlled super power going around killing players lol.

One thing id like to point out is WoW got praise for the relationship between westfall and deadminds how the zone story lead into the instance.   Tera does this everytime and no praise has been given at all.  People wanted no auto attack, no tab targetting, and Tera gives it to them and some people still arent satisfied.

Having to do stuff repeatedly to level (i.e. grinding) was never the problem.

Being told exactly what you have to do to level and not having any choices IS.

In UO, I had to grind skills over and over to level.  But the key was that I could do this in any way that I chose to do it.  I could kill monsters (any kind of monster really), mine, craft, practice magic while chatting with my friends, the list goes on...

But in TERA and games like it, you are, as another poster said, "spoon-fed" content.  In order to level, you will go through a very regimented and scripted quest grind.  And you have hardly any choice in the matter.

It's like the difference between exploring an amusement park on your own...or being on a guided tour.

And I hate guided tours.

In UO, I had to grind skills over and over to level.  But the key was that I could do this in any way that I chose to do it.  I could kill monsters (any kind of monster really), mine, craft, practice magic while chatting with my friends, the list goes on...

But in TERA and games like it, you are, as another poster said, "spoon-fed" content.  In order to level, you will go through a very regimented and scripted quest grind.  And you have hardly any choice in the matter.

It's like the difference between exploring an amusement park on your own...or being on a guided tour.

And I hate guided tours.

When people make a game thats grind people cal it a grind fest because there is no quest, when there is quest people say its too linear or guided. Idk i perfer grind, pick my own spot and grind away but its some people that just idk, want something thats impossible so they bitch at everything that come out because its not what they want.

And I hate guided tours.

When people make a game thats grind people cal it a grind fest because there is no quest, when there is quest people say its too linear or guided. Idk i perfer grind, pick my own spot and grind away but its some people that just idk, want something thats impossible so they bitch at everything that come out because its not what they want.

Hey, I don't bitch at everything...I liked GW2 :).

• teakboisteakbois Member Posts: 2,154

Vanilla WoW:  was never accused of being linear, was never accused of being a grind

• nycplayboy78nycplayboy78 Member UncommonPosts: 212

IMHO...I truly like the game so I would say buy it to see if you like it or not...

I enjoy quest hubs given:

They arent sequential.  I dont have to do 20 quests in a to go to b, do 30 quests there and go to c.  If I dont want to help the ugly dude at A I went to skip right to C.  Some chain quests are ok, but the whole zone shouldnt be one big chain (unless its an awesome storyline and only one or two questlines are heavily chained)

The lore or feel is there:  As an example, Duskwood in Vanilla WoW.  Yeah, lot of running back and forth but it didnt matter because the zone was awesome and the payoff was huge when Stitches came out

I dont have to do the same zones every time I level:  This is where games like Rift and SWToR get a big fat F

Originally posted by teakbois

Vanilla WoW:  was never accused of being linear, was never accused of being a grind

People need to stop using WoW as an example, WoW is the exact reason most game is in the state it is in. Before games were took time to lvl, WoW started the same way and no one complained. Than as WoW developed they made it easier and easier and easier to lvl so people can catch up to play with their friends. Works but because its was so popular and huge it became the norm. Everyone was used to the fast lvling speed of the updated WoW that if any other game wasn't as fast it was consider a grind fest.

Originally posted by teakbois

People need to stop using WoW as an example, WoW is the exact reason most game is in the state it is in. Before games were took time to lvl, WoW started the same way and no one complained. Than as WoW developed they made it easier and easier and easier to lvl so people can catch up to play with their friends. Works but because its was so popular and huge it became the norm. Everyone was used to the fast lvling speed of the updated WoW that if any other game wasn't as fast it was consider a grind fest.

why not use WoW as an example?  Companies copy WoW, but they dont copy the good things about it.  

Your whole thing about 'people will complain if games used vanilla WoW leveling speed' is 100% hypothetical.  Because no one has really made a quality game with that pace since.  LOTRO maybe, and i dont think people complained.  We know people complained SWToR and Rift were too fast, but no game has done WoWs speed with the quality of the game world WoW had.  There is a difference between slow leveling and a game being a 'grinder.'  A grinder not only implies slower leveling, but boring content as well.  If the content isnt boring, people dont complain about 'grinding.'

• ClerigoClerigo Member UncommonPosts: 400

I, as always, since i got enough of getting lied to and cheated, would wait, not for general gaming reviews (dont ask me why as i will not tell you why, but everyone knows), but for general community feedback. So, after launch, wait 3-4 months and check the forums.

• madazzmadazz Member RarePosts: 2,100

You know, I think we lost the true meaning of grind due to all the quests being boring now a days.

It used to mean you HAD to sit there and kill 10's of thousands of a single creature just to get an item or level.

Tera has no real grind. You level up really fast. Its just called a grind because the leveling is boring.

Anyways, sorry I am off topic.

• DivionDivion Member UncommonPosts: 411

Because i care.

<<HERES AN ARTICLE TO HELP YOU DECIDE>>

Side note, buy it NOW

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775

Originally posted by nycplayboy78

IMHO...I truly like the game so I would say buy it to see if you like it or not...

Actually I'd say try it before you buy it. If some here really think you will like it they can give you a 7 day pass to try the game out. So if someone is telling you to buy the game, ask them to give you a 7 day pass first :P

Win, Win, if you like it .... great you will buy it. If you don't, well... you found out before you threw money away.

If fans of the game think you will really enjoy the game, this shouldn't be difficult.