Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guild Wars 2: Mike O'Brien on the First Beta Event

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Arena.Net's Mike O'Brien has penned a new blog article featured on the Guild Wars 2 site. In it, O'Brien speaks about the first closed beta event in which "hundreds of thousands" of players took part. He discusses both the highs and lows of the event and gives a bit of insight into what the team has been doing since.

At the same time, we’re also working on server capacity to make sure that we’re prepared for the even greater flood of players who will participate in the next Beta. To that end, we’ve announced a Stress Test on Monday May 14th to test some changes we’ve implemented. This 7-hour test event, which runs from 11 AM to 6 PM PDT (-7 GMT) is open to all players who have pre-purchased Guild Wars 2. The good news is that we’re not wiping characters for this test; we’re using the same build that we used in the first Beta Weekend Event, so you’ll be able to pick up right where you left off. For more information about the Stress Test, log in to the Beta Forums. Please join us on May 14 if you can.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• orbitxoorbitxo Member RarePosts: 1,956

WOOT!

• SoulOfRazielSoulOfRaziel Member UncommonPosts: 405

If work allow me i will be there !

• LeononaLeonona Member UncommonPosts: 225

I hope that doesn't mean we won't get the next event till sometime in the beginning of june, if they want to implement a bunch of stuff from the feedback.

• nolic1nolic1 Member UncommonPosts: 716

Originally posted by Leonona

I hope that doesn't mean we won't get the next event till sometime in the beginning of june, if they want to implement a bunch of stuff from the feedback.

Well being what my wife says i am a proffesional beta tester its kind of a joke but they do these in some betas to test the stress of the servers to makes sure the influx of players dont crash the servers. They also do it to make sure there stable enought to keep up with all the players on them. Like by raising the amount of players allowed per server by expanding certain varibles and what not. But they mostly do these closer to realese not in a beta its self.

I think this is great that they are letting there customers help develope the game in a broader way then just allowing like 500 to 1000 beta testers and say 80 Q & A people test things. Plus we can add our input to and even if the dont take it its there for them to know our concerns.

Sherman's Gaming

Youtube Content creator for The Elder Scrolls Online

Channel:http://https//www.youtube.com/channel/UCrgYNgpFTRAl4XWz31o2emw

• etlaretlar Member UncommonPosts: 855

See you in Tyria! god, release already, it´s better than most games i played anyways! in fact, one of the best!

• someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088

Wow, I didn't know they had to temporarily disable pre-purchase because the number of sales far exceeded their expectations. This makes me understand the massive log in problems on Friday better.

• Zeus.CMZeus.CM Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,788

Originally posted by someforumguy

Wow, I didn't know they had to temporarily disable pre-purchase because the number of sales far exceeded their expectations. This makes me understand the massive log in problems on Friday better.

speculation was that around 150-250 000 people were in beta.

• ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574

Gotta work that day but good luck all ye testers.

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

• Ridan477Ridan477 Member UncommonPosts: 48

Damn you finals damn you!

Scoobin it up on the daily.

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

I'm waiting on beta weekend again. Just playing a few hours would make me want to play so much more. Seeing as it's a stress test too, could be lots of crashes/lag/tech difficulties. I'll just wait. image

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• kanedaAkanedaA Member Posts: 66

Originally posted by thedarkess

pfff thats nothing for an overhyped game like gw2 

• berlightberlight Member UncommonPosts: 345

Who decide this schedule...11am to 6pm? LOL ye...right...nice stress test...when people are working and at school.

-"I GOT IT!!! the best time for a stress test is when everyone is at work!"

-"YEAH YOU RIGHT MAN WE RULE!"

Beta tester maniac

• dadante666dadante666 Member UncommonPosts: 402

Originally posted by berlight

Who decide this schedule...11am to 6pm? LOL ye...right...nice stress test...when people are working and at school.

thast the idea they wanna know how many student dont go to school and how many people dont show on  jobS LOL

• dreldrel Member Posts: 918

I think the time for this stress test is interesting as allot of people won't be able to stress the servers as Monday is a of work.

Considering the time differences world wide, and the time for the test,  everyone should be able to get a few hours of testing the servers.

I'll be there!

• lilHealalilHeala Member UncommonPosts: 522

It's perfect time for me :) I have time to get home after work, even have time to enjoy a decent meal before the servers open up.

Thanks for dismissing the huge EU-based playerbase once again. But hey now you know how we feel in a lot of other games out there where maintenance windows, patch releases etc. are often expanded into the start of hour prime time gaming hours. And most giveaways / contests we're excluded from because they're only for US / Canada residents.

Luckily Anet respects us as much as the NA playerbase. The original Guildwars game actually even had a bigger EU playerbase than elsewhere iirc. (and for example Gamescom is one of their favourite gameshows, the first playable demo and gameplay footage was taken there).

• xenogiasxenogias Member Posts: 1,926

This. I can make the times to so I'm not agreeing because I cant play. For a supposed "stress test" they picked a day and time that completely negates the idea of a stress test. If it was on a saturday or sunday I could see it. But monday? Makes no sense what so ever. It would only make sense if they where to only open a few servers but since you can continue playing your first beta characters thats not happening.  Aww well. I'll enjoy thoes 7 hours regardless :)

• lilHealalilHeala Member UncommonPosts: 522

Originally posted by xenogias

This. I can make the times to so I'm not agreeing because I cant play. For a supposed "stress test" they picked a day and time that completely negates the idea of a stress test. If it was on a saturday or sunday I could see it. But monday? Makes no sense what so ever. It would only make sense if they where to only open a few servers but since you can continue playing your first beta characters thats not happening.  Aww well. I'll enjoy thoes 7 hours regardless :)

Not it doesn't negate the idea of a stresstest. The changes are only server side, there' sno new client build. Because the stresstest is in the peak hours in EU for gaming the EU servers will be stressed to the max again. The tuning they do based on the results can then be applied to the NA servers as well. Also the login server will most likely be separate for NA and EU servers as well so they can apply same tuning to the NA login server based on the EU results.

• xenogiasxenogias Member Posts: 1,926

Originally posted by lilHeala

Originally posted by xenogias

Not it doesn't negate the idea of a stresstest. The changes are only server side, there' sno new client build. Because the stresstest is in the peak hours in EU for gaming the EU servers will be stressed to the max again. The tuning they do based on the results can then be applied to the NA servers as well. Also the login server will most likely be separate for NA and EU servers as well so they can apply same tuning to the NA login server based on the EU results.

Good point. I didnt take EU into account, not that I really know thier primetime.  Oh wow. Something worked out for the EU gamers for once even if it wasnt intended! Now if companies would stop charging EU gamers so damn much for the games lol.

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748

Originally posted by kanedaA

Originally posted by thedarkess

pfff thats nothing for an overhyped game like gw2 

You forget the part where they had to stop the pre-purchases because they were getting too many too quickly.

Oderint, dum metuant.