Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Crafting

Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

So how was your BWE crafting experience.

Is it a fun minigame like experience?

Did the items feel usefull?

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

Comments

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

The one thing I didn't do at all in BWE was crafting. Looking forward to playing with crafting next BWE.

*gets popcorn, waits for responses*

/bump

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748

I tried the cooking. It's... well, I actually had fun at it! So much depth... combining a few things that make sense to get a ball of dough, add things to the dough, I eventually created blueberry tarts and was quite satisfied to come up with that.

The problem I found is that I was running out of coins to buy more stuff to keep trying things with. It may be too engaging.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

Originally posted by Volkon

I tried the cooking. It's... well, I actually had fun at it! So much depth... combining a few things that make sense to get a ball of dough, add things to the dough, I eventually created blueberry tarts and was quite satisfied to come up with that.

The problem I found is that I was running out of coins to buy more stuff to keep trying things with. It may be too engaging.

If its much of fun i hope that it can be done from mobile devices and such, so i can craft when not at home playing the game.

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

If its much of fun i hope that it can be done from mobile devices and such, so i can craft when not at home playing the game.

Now THAT'S a great idea! You'd need access to your bank tabs while at it, of course, as well as vendors that sell certain crafting goods, so I'm not sure how they'd work that out... maybe an app that has a representation of your character in a crafting district so you can go to and access the appropriate places?

There's definitely something here to be pondered.  image

Oderint, dum metuant.

• NailzzzNailzzz Member UncommonPosts: 515

I seem to remember them mentioning that that is something they are in fact working on for the cell phone app. Acess to trade broker, crafting, guild chat, and even gathering (not sure how they can pull off that last one).

Originally posted by Nailzzz

I seem to remember them mentioning that that is something they are in fact working on for the cell phone app. Acess to trade broker, crafting, guild chat, and even gathering (not sure how they can pull off that last one).

Wow, if they pull that off no other game in the future would dare release without something similar. That would be sweet!

Oderint, dum metuant.

• EvilGeekEvilGeek Member UncommonPosts: 1,258

I made the most out of the crafting system during the BWE, I crafted tailored outfits at lvls 10, 15 and 20. I'm pleased to report that without exception the completed outfits turned out better than my dropped/reward gear for the level. The process itself was quite fun but nothing amazing. I sussed that the most efficient way to level up was via the discovery system. Being given an example piece when you take up crafting gives you a heads up on how the system works, just look at the ingredients, look at your inscription recipes, gather the mats and off you go.

Couple of things I really liked - The more you make of something the more the process speeds up, you're not stuck watching a progress bar for ages, also liked how using inscriptions gives you a choice on stats from the get go.

• ariboersmaariboersma Member Posts: 1,802

I got two tradeskills to 100+

minigame..no but fun yes. You have to combine diff mats to find secret/hidden recipes and that is fun! It is more logic than minigame though.. and some luck as sometimes its odd mats that make a recipe and not the obvious glove lining + glove grip + inscription(my names are probably incorrect but you get the idea)

The items were very useful.. much better than the luck drops I had gotten and when I found recipes on a karma vendor after doing a heart event... WOW good shit right there! 

So in summation... crafting is great and tbh I wouldn't change a thing.

thats a good idea, that would be nice for ppl.. as for cooking I heard it was the more annoying trade so maybe it could use some changes but I will try that perhaps next BWE because it was originally a trade I wanted to play with.

• MaelwyddMaelwydd Member Posts: 1,123

Wow, if they pull that off no other game in the future would dare release without something similar. That would be sweet!

Fallen Earth already has this function....

Originally posted by Maelwydd

yes but its the only thing Fallen Earth has going for it >.< and you have to pay to even enjoy the crafting fully.

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

Now THAT'S a great idea! You'd need access to your bank tabs while at it, of course, as well as vendors that sell certain crafting goods, so I'm not sure how they'd work that out... maybe an app that has a representation of your character in a crafting district so you can go to and access the appropriate places?

There's definitely something here to be pondered.  image

Actually they announced that certain parts of the game would be accessable through mobile apps long time ago, things like chatting and reading ingame mail.  But also other things, to me other things has allways sounded like crafting and such.

meh ignore this post.. wasn't worth posting =P 

• ChingoChingo Member UncommonPosts: 128

Or they could do things the 2012 way: Open up a REST API for the functionality like EVE and let the community develop the clients: More clients/functionality with more options to choose from for more platforms/devices = more fun.

I don't get it why more games don't do it (especially sandboxy ones) except lack of vision.

• PalladinPalladin Member UncommonPosts: 430

I fiddled with this a bit. My impression was that my lvl and the materials i needed were not in sync. Materials were generaly in areas out of my lvl rage to obtain. Materials to craft lvl 5 gear was in areas with lvl 10 mobs and so on. This deff needs a bit of work.I also found the cost of buying the vendor supplies to be a bit high. I found myself going broke jsut getting the vendor only supplies to craft with.

I did however have fun with the crafting. The experiment part was alot of fun. Throw some  of this that and the other in the box hit the button and get new recipes. I found that most anything you could make was useful. I got the impression that the crafted gear was just a bit better than the vendor gear. Experimentation genrally created more advanced recipes for gear parts. If the stress test is smooth on the 14th I plan to play with the crafting more.

AMD Phenum II x4 3.6Ghz 975 black edition
    8 gig Ram
    Nvidia GeForce GTX 760

• I was impressed that the gathering nodes for wood were trees that were hard to disinguish from actual landscape trees.

• PalladinPalladin Member UncommonPosts: 430

Fallen earth is a decent game but has some serious issues that will never get fixed.

AMD Phenum II x4 3.6Ghz 975 black edition
    8 gig Ram
    Nvidia GeForce GTX 760

• terrantterrant Member Posts: 1,683

Originally posted by gestalt11

I was impressed that the gathering nodes for wood were trees that were hard to disinguish from actual landscape trees.

Plants for cooking (onions and stuff) were pretty indistinguishable from a lot of the terrain clutter too. They fit in nice.

Ore nodes still look stupid. Wish someone would do what skyrim did for those.

• Originally posted by terrant

Originally posted by gestalt11

I was impressed that the gathering nodes for wood were trees that were hard to disinguish from actual landscape trees.

Plants for cooking (onions and stuff) were pretty indistinguishable from a lot of the terrain clutter too. They fit in nice.

Ore nodes still look stupid. Wish someone would do what skyrim did for those.

Yeah plants were decent although maybe a bit easier to spot out at special, not that that is unrealistic. 

But yeah ore nodes were basically rock boogers stuck onto rocky hills or caves walls.

• BuzWeaverBuzWeaver Member UncommonPosts: 978

I'm hoping to spend a little more time crafting in the upcoming Stress Test on Monday. I did however find a great Crafting Guild Video: GW2 Crafting Video Guide http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bFU_b4e2bxU&list=PL396DF25B1FA72329&index=3&feature=plpp_video

The Old Timers Guild
    Laid back, not so serious, no drama.
    All about the fun!

www.oldtimersguild.com
    An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it. - Jef Mallett

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135

Originally posted by BuzWeaver

I'm hoping to spend a little more time crafting in the upcoming Stress Test on Monday. I did however find a great Crafting Guild Video: GW2 Crafting Video Guide http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bFU_b4e2bxU&list=PL396DF25B1FA72329&index=3&feature=plpp_video

Nice vid! Thanks for the post.

• dpcollier128dpcollier128 Member Posts: 38

Originally posted by aesperus

Originally posted by BuzWeaver

Nice vid! Thanks for the post.

Yeah! Definately, I had no idea the insignias were so important. Here's looking to the next BWE!

• TuchakaTuchaka Member UncommonPosts: 468

i did a bit of crafting before realizing i would rather try out a variety of classes , things i liked that every time you craft something you are gonna gain some points, you will have to experiment to learn new recipes there is a function that allows you to deposit straight to your bank. Many of the karma vendors that you talk to for renown hearts sell recipes. All of the grey vendor trash stuff can be broken down to gain you crafting mats etc.    in short not long after launch or even before i suspect people are gonna have guides telling you what combinations of mat experimentaiton leads to what items etc.  

• atziluthatziluth Member UncommonPosts: 1,190

Crafting like most other aspects of GW2 are solid evolutions not revolutions. I enjoyed crafting and the items were better than drops most of the time except for a few greens for me. I did not dig deep into crafting as there was so much to do with so little time, but it is a very solid system. 

-Atziluth-

- Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity.

• MosesZDMosesZD Member UncommonPosts: 1,361

Originally posted by Palladin

Fallen earth is a decent game but has some serious issues that will never get fixed.

I loved FE.   But when the 1.5 patch came out.  Then they laid-off all the developers...     I, along with virtually all of my guild, just moved on.