Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Most of the media are getting "it" wrong....

Comments

• GhabboGhabbo Member UncommonPosts: 263

Originally posted by necredon

Originally posted by Kelthius

Nope, you don't have any details, only big general terms which can be filled in in various ways.

No pets- Pretty Straight forward. No Pets.

No housing- Pretty Straight forward. No houses.

Classes- Pretty Straight forward. Not skill based like the rest of TES.

Where am I suppose to fill in?

I'm replaying morrowind right now, i'm a warrior.

A warrior does sound a bit like a class now doesn't it?

=> you don't know how it will work

Since when have pets been such a big thing in ES?

No housing: Again, not such a big thing in ES, atleast to me and you never had the ability to build your own house, so what do these fans expect? About 6000 buyable houses per server? ( alts have to be included ofcourse) Or what? Introduce a ENTIRELY NEW SYSTEM to build houses? hmmm

No, I can't agree with that. I didn't play Skyrim so I don't know how it works there, but in Daggerfall, Morrowind and Oblivion it was always a feature that I loved.

For a TES MMO I would have expected (at least) something similar to what Archeage is showing in those videos image

• necredonnecredon Member Posts: 118

Originally posted by SEANMCAD

I picked it from a list and it says "warrior" on my character info screen.

thats not a class. I am sorry i didnt know you were new to RPGs and didnt know the difference between a class and a sign

http://www.plasticgraveyard.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/Morrowind_menu.jpg

Me being new or not to RPG's isn't of any importance of what we are talking about or this topic so I really don't think that had any purpose there other then being hostile.

On top of that, you are wrong. Look at the image I posted here. Don't see it? Then look again.

• ScalebaneScalebane Member UncommonPosts: 1,883

As long as people keep buying this style of MMO companies will keep making them, then again if things don't start looking better soon i'm thinking we wont see very many MMO's being made ever again.

"The great thing about human language is that it prevents us from sticking to the matter at hand."
    - Lewis Thomas

Nope, you don't have any details, only big general terms which can be filled in in various ways.

No housing: Again, not such a big thing in ES, atleast to me and you never had the ability to build your own house, so what do these fans expect? About 6000 buyable houses per server? ( alts have to be included ofcourse) Or what? Introduce a ENTIRELY NEW SYSTEM to build houses? hmmm

Custom classes were always a possibility. They are not definative classes such as "Only warriors have this ability" or "You must be a mage to use Conjuration." They were guidelines more than anything.

You're playing Morrowind, yes? Go get some conjuration spells. How many of them invole summoning pets? A lot of them. Now go play Oblivion and repeat. Now go play Skyrim, repeat.

Again, you're playing Morrowind certain quests will reward you with a house. Oblivion is the same deal, but you can also purchase houses. Skyrim is the same as Oblivion.

These things are part of TES and have been for years. Your ignorance doesn't change that.

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/

You have a point, but i was talking more about the permanent pets like hunters in wow have, I don't think a conjurable skeleton for example falls under that, but we don't know.

Also: they said they weren't talking about it. Not that they wouldn't be included.

"No, I can't agree with that. I didn't play Skyrim so I don't know how it works there, but in Daggerfall, Morrowind and Oblivion it was always a feature that I loved.

For a TES MMO I would have expected (at least) something similar to what Archeage is showing in those videos image"

It would have been nice yes, but TES never allowed you to build anything, so it is understandable that you can't own a house like in those games.

"

Custom classes were always a possibility. They are not definative classes such as "Only warriors have this ability" or "You must be a mage to use Conjuration." They were guidelines more than anything.

You're playing Morrowind, yes? Go get some conjuration spells. How many of them invole summoning pets? A lot of them. Now go play Oblivion and repeat. Now go play Skyrim, repeat.

Again, you're playing Morrowind certain quests will reward you with a house. Oblivion is the same deal, but you can also purchase houses. Skyrim is the same as Oblivion.

These things are part of TES and have been for years. Your ignorance doesn't change that.

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/"

Allowing characters to have everything will make everyone the same in the end, which is kind of a problem in an MMO. Using a skill cap (as there was in Oblivion I believe, due to max level?) would allow people to create imballanced characters who are just inadequate in everything. They might still do something with freedom of skill progression in one way or the other, you don't know that. WoW uses/d skill trees for customisation, we don't know how TESO will work.

• KelthiusKelthius Member UncommonPosts: 298

You have a point, but i was talking more about the permanent pets like hunters in wow have, I don't think a conjurable skeleton for example falls under that, but we don't know.

Also: they said they weren't talking about it. Not that they wouldn't be included.

All I'm saying is we have enough information to give us an idea of what the game will be like. A lot of us aren't happy with the fact that they are calling the game "The Elder Scrolls" when it is far from that.

All I'm saying is we have enough information to give us an idea of what the game will be like. A lot of us aren't happy with the fact that they are calling the game "The Elder Scrolls" when it is far from that.

All i'm saying is, we don't know enough.

• XanrnXanrn Member Posts: 154

Ah this whole situation makes me laugh.

Funny how all you Bethesda Fanbois, had no problem with this when the shoe was on the other foot.

When Bethseda took the Fallout series and changed pretty much everything for the worse, when they took away 90% of what made the games Fallout, ignored the Fallout fans, twisted the lore so bad it end up in a knot.

But no that was fine... Until it happens to your beloved game, then its bad.

This is Karma and its Justice.

Now you know how the Fallout fans felt when they sold our Game down the river.

• KelthiusKelthius Member UncommonPosts: 298

Well the idea of SWTOR was very nice, an actual story like in their single player games but it turned out to be about killing 10 rats. ( very simply put, I hope you get what i'm saying)

Maybe in TESO we won't have to kill 10 guards, return to the town and then travel back to kill their boss, maybe we can go kill him in the first place. That would be pretty much TES.

Also; TES isn't a sandbox game, its a themepark with alot of freedom, but everything you do ingame and everything is created by the game, you don't build your house, nope you buy one or you get one thats allready there.

A bit of good information they shared is "No Quest Hubs." It actually sounds a lot like GW2 in this aspect. Example: You find a random cave filled with zombies. You reach a boss zombie at the end and when you kill him you are rewarded.

I don't call TES a themepark or a sandbox. It's a hybrid. Not really one or the other.

Well the idea of SWTOR was very nice, an actual story like in their single player games but it turned out to be about killing 10 rats. ( very simply put, I hope you get what i'm saying)

Maybe in TESO we won't have to kill 10 guards, return to the town and then travel back to kill their boss, maybe we can go kill him in the first place. That would be pretty much TES.

Also; TES isn't a sandbox game, its a themepark with alot of freedom, but everything you do ingame and everything is created by the game, you don't build your house, nope you buy one or you get one thats allready there.

A bit of good information they shared is "No Quest Hubs." It actually sounds a lot like GW2 in this aspect. Example: You find a random cave filled with zombies. You reach a boss zombie at the end and when you kill him you are rewarded.

I don't call TES a themepark or a sandbox. It's a hybrid. Not really one or the other.

Anyway I have said to much about this topic. I don't know how true it will stay to the former games, but even if it is far from what the others were, it might still be a fun game. I'm defending that here, when I don't really care about having that exact game changed into an mmo. So I should stop writing ;).

• iceman00iceman00 Member Posts: 1,363

I'd honestly love to see some numbers if the people writing at forbes and various gaming mags are right:

Out of people who play TES on PC, how many only play single player?

The simple fact is a lot of TES fans who play on the PC also play MMOs.  It's just that we like TES for certain reasons.  Hell, a lot of us have been, after the failure of games like TOR, found Skyrim as a refuge.

Why?  We like the open world gameplay.  We like the intriguing crafting systems.  We love the fact that outside of a few constants, the game can be unpredictable every time you fire it up.  Just last night, I managed to come across a father and daughter walking to a wedding, and the daughter not wanting to go.  So I decided to help her free herself from that obligation.... by murdering her father.  Now, instead of crying about going to some wedding she doesn't want to go to, she's screaming for help (in the middle of the woods) and calling me a murderer.  She then decides to start running.  Well, we can't have her getting away, so I leap up to higher ground, and give her an arrow to the neck at a pretty wicked angle.

Now in over 100 hours of Skyrim, I've never come across that, and I explored quite a bit.  The thing is, in another game, this would be shocking.  In an Elder Scrolls game, it is "just another day at the office."

So a franchise famous for these kind of things, decides to release an MMO that is, lets be honest, stunningly generic.

Originally posted by Fadedbomb

From all of the negative press I've been reading over the past week or so of TESO countless times I've come across articles that simply miss the point entirely as to why TESO is a bad investment (or idea) overall as an MMO.

Look, the reason TESO is horrible isn't because "The Elder Scrolls" series wouldn't work well as an MMO. Quite frankly, the opposite is true from myself, and my friend's, perspective. However, the TRUE problem with TESO is that they've taken the TES franchise and gone in an ENTIRELY different direction from what TheElderScrolls series has always been about.

Some examples:

-TESO is similar to TheElderScrolls series is as Blizzard making World of Warcraft 2 would be similar to StarWars: Galaxies 

-TESO is to TheElderScrolls series as Call of Duty is to the BattleField series, and vice versa.

Quite frankly, they've taken a relatively well known franchise and completely changed the "Target Mindset" for the entire series simply to get a larger profit margin. It's a poor strategy, and numerous studios are near-bust for similar moves. It's a bad investment overall, and unless the developers make a DRASTIC change to TESO (short of scrapping it entirely) they're in for a horrible surprise come release around 2014-2015 (should 2012 not be our last year =P).

So PLEASE, stop getting it wrong as to why there's SO MUCH negativity around The Elder Scrolls: Online. It is most certainly NOT because TES doesn't fit into an MMO environment. It is because the design decisions around the game, and it's playstyle, are COMPLETELY off-base with its fans. 

-Thank You

You don't know anything about the game, all you know is that it will feature an action bar instead of an aiming system.

Your examples don't make sense, so PLEASE stop getting it wrong.

-Thank you

We know it will be a Trinity system for combat.  Why?  one of the classes is a dedicated healer.  Why do you have a dedicated healer?  To heal the people fighting in the front lines dealing damage.  Yet if they are out there dealing damage, you need someone to protect you, because you are squishy.  So you have the tank.  And of course, you gotta heal him to.

So tab action (I actually don't have much a problem with this part), trinity combat, graphics that look nothing like the Elder Scrolls series, cooldown animations for moves (okay okay, shouts in Skyrim had it, not all moves.  And they areincluding the lovely spell timer animation!), yeah, that's about as far from an Elder Scroll Franchise as you get.

• MephsterMephster Member Posts: 1,188

Agreed. The op is just spot on. This is an insult to the Elder Scrolls franchise. I would much rather have no TESO mmo or an Elder Scrolls 4 player coop than this!

Grim Dawn, the next great action rpg!

http://www.grimdawn.com/

• KuinnKuinn Member UncommonPosts: 2,072

Originally posted by Xanrn

Ah this whole situation makes me laugh.

Funny how all you Bethesda Fanbois, had no problem with this when the shoe was on the other foot.

When Bethseda took the Fallout series and changed pretty much everything for the worse, when they took away 90% of what made the games Fallout, ignored the Fallout fans, twisted the lore so bad it end up in a knot.

But no that was fine... Until it happens to your beloved game, then its bad.

This is Karma and its Justice.

Now you know how the Fallout fans felt when they sold our Game down the river.

I'm a long term Fallout fan and absolutely love Fallout 3 and New Vegas. I never understood why a game under certain name should always follow the same game mechanics, I'd rather just see great games, and that's exactly how Fallout 3 ended up being, a great game.

Damn I wish Blizzard would bring us StarCraft shooter, terran marine, ghost, or similar guy breaking havoc on some zerg infested colonies, would make for a damn awesome 4-8 player co-op shooter similar to Borderlands! One can only wish...

Yet a warrior is not limited in Morrowind or Oblivion.  They are nice little titles that mean little.  You get a slight bonus in your skills leveling up if they correspond to certain templates.  I'm actually glad Skyrim did away with that part.

Even in Morrowind, warriors could become quite proficient in destruction magic and stealth.

Property has always been a pretty big deal in TES series, especially in Oblivion and Skyrim.  If you have to, just instance the blasted thing.  Yet you need something to call your home.  How it worked in the TES series.  Completely optional, but that's the point.  The whole point of TES was to give you almost unparalled freedom in a video game.  ESO looks to be completely linear.

• ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574

Originally posted by Yamota

I agree with the OP. The idea that you cannot make an open ended MMORPG similar to Skyrim is nonsense. Ultima Online was that kind of game so was Asheron's Call and SWG. So it is possible but it then it would not be catering to the WoW/ThemePark crowd, which is why it probably is not being made that away.

Its not that it cant be done because it has in those you mentioned.  What gets me so so freaking mad is they would have the gall to actually say it cant be done because anyone with a semi-working braid knows what they are doing is nothing short of a cash grab.  What amazes me is that any company could look at the market and see it littered with failed WoW clones and think to themselves:  "You know what the MMO genre needs, is another WoW clone".  Its fu*king ignorant and stupid to believe anyone could believe something but then again look at the financial markets and the state of the economy so I guess it should come as no surprise.

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

Originally posted by SEANMCAD

I picked it from a list and it says "warrior" on my character info screen.

thats not a class. I am sorry i didnt know you were new to RPGs and didnt know the difference between a class and a sign

http://www.plasticgraveyard.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/Morrowind_menu.jpg

Me being new or not to RPG's isn't of any importance of what we are talking about or this topic so I really don't think that had any purpose there other then being hostile.

On top of that, you are wrong. Look at the image I posted here. Don't see it? Then look again.

Actually your ignorance is of high importance.  The image you posted doesn't really mean anything.  A "rogue" can use heavy armor.  A "rogue" can also use destruction magic.  If he wanted to, he could unleash fireballs, about the exact opposite of stealth.  Again, the "rogue" has certain skills he "prefers" (according to preset definitions) and when you use those skills, they level at a slightly (again slightly) faster rate.  Those contribute to raising your overall level, which is actually pretty pointless in the TES games, especially in Oblivion and Skyrim with scaling difficulty, outside of when you can start this or that quest.

Scroll down to those "misc" skills, and take a screenie of that.  It proves you wrong.  The way TES approaches skills is fundamentally different from other SRPG's.  With them, you picked a class, and you had certain abilities you could choose from, but couldn't choose others.  You were locked in from the start.

That wasn't the case in TES.  So being a "warrior" or "rogue" really meant nothing.  I know in Oblivion (been too long since I fired up Mwind) you could create custom classes.  I could call a class a "healer" that could function more as a shock infrantry soldier swinging a gigantic mace in full daedric armor and using no healing spells.  It was just a name.

• FadedbombFadedbomb Member Posts: 2,081

Originally posted by Zylaxx

I agree with the OP. The idea that you cannot make an open ended MMORPG similar to Skyrim is nonsense. Ultima Online was that kind of game so was Asheron's Call and SWG. So it is possible but it then it would not be catering to the WoW/ThemePark crowd, which is why it probably is not being made that away.

Its not that it cant be done because it has in those you mentioned.  What gets me so so freaking mad is they would have the gall to actually say it cant be done because anyone with a semi-working braid knows what they are doing is nothing short of a cash grab.  What amazes me is that any company could look at the market and see it littered with failed WoW clones and think to themselves:  "You know what the MMO genre needs, is another WoW clone".  Its fu*king ignorant and stupid to believe anyone could believe something but then again look at the financial markets and the state of the economy so I guess it should come as no surprise.

Pretty Much This ^

The Theory of Conservative Conservation of Ignorant Stupidity:
    Having a different opinion must mean you're a troll.

• KabaalKabaal Member UncommonPosts: 3,042

Hardly anyone wanted to play those games. From a money standpoint they are the last type of MMO's any company wants to be involved in.

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

Originally posted by iceman00

That wasn't the case in TES.  So being a "warrior" or "rogue" really meant nothing.  I know in Oblivion (been too long since I fired up Mwind) you could create custom classes.  I could call a class a "healer" that could function more as a shock infrantry soldier swinging a gigantic mace in full daedric armor and using no healing spells.  It was just a name.

Same in Morrowind.  One could pick a pre-made class or custom build a class to their own specifications.  The system was insanely powerful.  All skills, even those not classified as major or minor could be developed.  The only difference would be that skillups in those skills didn't count towards levels.  A character was never locked out from doing anything even if it wasn't part of their class.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.

Originally posted by Kabaal

Hardly anyone wanted to play those games. From a money standpoint they are the last type of MMO's any company wants to be involved in.

Those specific games?  no, they don't.  They are also dead.  ;)

But things from those games people certainly want in their game.  They want out of the linear trinity themepark prison  MMOs have become.  We shall see what TES will do on the way their quest system works, but on the other things not having to do with pvp, not looking good so far.  (And Trinity style pvp is boring and mostly stat, not skill based.)

• KabaalKabaal Member UncommonPosts: 3,042

But things from those games people certainly want in their game.  They want out of the linear trinity themepark prison  MMOs have become.  We shall see what TES will do on the way their quest system works, but on the other things not having to do with pvp, not looking good so far.  (And Trinity style pvp is boring and mostly stat, not skill based.)

They're dead for a reason, they never made much money and never had any sub populations worth talking about.

As for TESO, I'd have loved a proper Morrowind or Skyrim Online but it doesn't sound like this will be anywhere close so far. More like a generic fantasy MMO with TES as an afterthought.

They're dead for a reason, they never made much money and never had any sub populations worth talking about.

As for TESO, I'd have loved a proper Morrowind or Skyrim Online but it doesn't sound like this will be anywhere close so far. More like a generic fantasy MMO with TES as an afterthought.

Before WoW, 300,000 people was far from dead.  The market for MMO gamers was a lot smaller back then.

Since WoW, every company has thought that to make a "successful" MMO, we have to copy everything WoW does.  And for the most part, they have failed spectacularly to even get 1/10th of the subscribers WoW has.

So to be honest, a lot of people don't want to play the Trinity style on rails linear themepark MMO either, but that hasn't really stopped people from making them has it?

• GolelornGolelorn Member RarePosts: 1,395

I find it hard to believe companies are still trying to chase WoW gameplay. How is it not obvious to developers WoW gameplay will flop right out of the gate?

If it didn't work for a Star Wars title its not going to work for TES.

I really don't even understand how that would work, or why someone would want to play that.

• KertKert Member UncommonPosts: 71

Lots of people played those games. Age does eventually catch up to games, not withstanding other major game issues *cough* SWG *cough*.

The biggest problems games have today is that they're "not as big as WoW", in the eyes of the publishers it seems. I've said this before in a number of threads. Until developers and publishers realize that WoW type popularity is unlikely to happen again, and focus on a certain gamer demographic and develop a quality game aimed at.... wait for it.... a certain niche market.

It'd be like owning a small restaurant chain, being profitable, with a solid stable customer base, and being upset that you're not as big as McDonalds. Aiming big is fine, but at some point someone has to say... WoW did it like no other, lets try something completely different.

The success of Skyrim should have pointed out that there is a market for those types of games, but for some reason, devs, and publishers are too dense to get the message.

• LeodiousLeodious Member UncommonPosts: 773

Originally posted by Fadedbomb

Originally posted by Zylaxx

Pretty Much This ^

Pretty much this. 

I guess the idea is that flooding the market with the same old shit is better than trying to hit a niche market, because you are more likely to siphon off sales than you are to reach a large enough portion of an already small base. I think it's wrong, but I can see how investor might make that argument.

What I can't fathom is how, with TES, when you have a very large, established fan base that clearly prefers a certain set of things in their games (which you can see not only with sales and reviews and critiques, but also with mods), and you plan to make a MMO of that franchise's world, you take the MMO in a totally different direction in every fathomable way from the single-player version.

Hell, TESO might end up being a great game if that's the kind of game you are into. But it won't be like a TES game, not really, And when it is so patently obvious that they deviated so widely from the design philosphy of the single-player franchise, it should give us pause.

"There are two great powers, and they've been fighting since time began. Every advance in human life, every scrap of knowledge and wisdom and decency we have has been torn by one side from the teeth of the other. Every little increase in human freedom has been fought over ferociously between those who want us to know more and be wiser and stronger, and those who want us to obey and be humble and submit."

— John Parry, to his son Will; "The Subtle Knife," by Phillip Pullman