Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

TERA - To buy or not to buy? That is the question!

YounggYoungg Member Posts: 61

Im thinking of purchasing TERA however i was wondering if the game is worth it at this moment in time

if anyone could give me some information that would be great thanks.

Comments

• xZeRGzxZeRGz Member Posts: 118

I would suggest asking someone for a friend key so you can decide for yourself.

Personally, I am going to wait and see if it goes f2p.

• XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337

You're in EU, ask a friend that plays to send you a friend invite. You'll be able to sample the game until level 15.

To the fellow above, don't hold your breath for the game to go F2P any time soon. No game has done it for at least a year after launch, which by the time other mmorpgs that might be more interesting might launch. Besides, the F2P model sports certain flaws that make PvP gaming ... expensive ;)

• YounggYoungg Member Posts: 61

From what i have seen the game looks fresh and something new however with a game that hasnt had too much publicity never know what to expect

• madazzmadazz Member RarePosts: 2,107

Buy. Why? Because there are games that I avoided due to people saying no, especially on these forums, only to try them later and have a blast. Darkfall for me was one of those games. Albeit I am not playing it anymore, for about 3 months though it was super fun.

I am currently playing Tera and enjoying it. The combat is cool, nothing very new. The quests are boring. The graphics are great. Havent experienced much PvP yet though. I am an A.D.D. mmo player since UO and DAOC went south. So I probably wont be playing in a month or so.

• Gabby-airGabby-air Member UncommonPosts: 3,440

It only has aim based combat, everything else is pretty much the same as all other games. Some people think that by itself sets it apart enough to warrant a purchase, I didn't. The combat to me felt stiff and very slow, and really less fun than tab-target games but others seem to really enjoy it. 

• TomBaker_fanTomBaker_fan Member Posts: 131

I would give it a try, as someone mentioned, the graphics are awesome, but it is nothing groundbreaking. The combat is fun and interesting once you get the mechanics down. I am only level 15, and so far it is your basic quest driven game. I am going to keep playing to see if anything makes it worth keeping. Though so far I don't see anything that will keep me past the first month.

I still prefer Rift over this, and that game keeps getting better imo.

• lellyvillelellyville Member Posts: 26

Originally posted by xZeRGz

I would suggest asking someone for a friend key so you can decide for yourself.

Personally, I am going to wait and see if it goes f2p.

yep, F2P very soon, pocket that $15 dollar a month for food.

• dleveldlevel Member UncommonPosts: 88

Originally posted by Gabby-air

It only has aim based combat, everything else is pretty much the same as all other games. Some people think that by itself sets it apart enough to warrant a purchase, I didn't. The combat to me felt stiff and very slow, and really less fun than tab-target games but others seem to really enjoy it. 

only? this is the best part of this game, it makes it FRESH, the combat is so much fun that i challenge my self with more and more mobs every time to test my limits, and that makes me train for PVP too... 

This is the best combat system ever in a MMO, it makes even GRIND fun... for me at least.

• supbrosupbro Member Posts: 327

Originally posted by dlevel

only? this is the best part of this game, it makes it FRESH, the combat is so much fun that i challenge my self with more and more mobs every time to test my limits, and that makes me train for PVP too... 

This is the best combat system ever in a MMO, it makes even GRIND fun... for me at least.

Paying $50 + $15 a month to "GRIND" isn't my idea of fun.

GW2 the future of MMO gaming

• The_DhampirThe_Dhampir Member UncommonPosts: 62

You must have missed Vindictus and Dragon Nest then. The target painting was interesting for a few seconds on archer, haven't seen that outside of shooters.

In Korea TERA is F2P, I expect it will be here as well.

Originally posted by supbro

i Said EVEN GRIND... and a game that in 1,5 month of almost casual play you get to max level is not grindie... damn you have to explain every single word to some ppl. 

Originally posted by The_Dhampir

You must have missed Vindictus and Dragon Nest then. The target painting was interesting for a few seconds on archer, haven't seen that outside of shooters. In Korea TERA is F2P, I expect it will be here as well.

played both, mostly vindictus, the combat system was not even close to TERA, it just didnt feel as right as TERA, i m bored to elaborate.

• rexzshadowrexzshadow Member Posts: 1,428

You must have missed Vindictus and Dragon Nest then. The target painting was interesting for a few seconds on archer, haven't seen that outside of shooters. In Korea TERA is F2P, I expect it will be here as well.

They were in the right direction but not even close to Tera's combat, i was going to explain but after reading that i can tell you just a troll and man i mean people make up stuff about Tera but you take the cake for the worse lie I have ever seen,

• kutervkuterv Member Posts: 28

Game sucks really .... they made combat like in dragon nest, C9 , Vindictus but made that worste .... this type of combat - dynamic there just boring and slow, lvling boring , animation for kor game just awefull, there not so lots of types of mobs, u could find the same mobs in every location u will be when lvling and grafics there not so prefect  .... even aion much more better than Tera ... In my opinion this game waste of time and money ! If u want a game with such type of combat with open world, better wait for Blade and Soul ...

Originally posted by kuterv

Game sucks really .... they made combat like in dragon nest, C9 , Vindictus but made that worste .... this type of combat - dynamic there just boring and slow, lvling boring , animation for kor game just awefull, there not so lots of types of mobs, u could find the same mobs in every location u will be when lvling and grafics there not so prefect  .... even aion much more better than Tera ... In my opinion this game waste of time and money ! If u want a game with such type of combat with open world, better wait for Blade and Soul ...

Fail troll fails, lvling is slow means you never even played this game at all, you lvl faster in Tera than dragon nest and vindictus. Animation are smooth, they reskin some mobs but each have different mechanic and takes about 10 lvl or so for them to reuse one at least. Also Blade and Soul isn't action combat, its like tab targetting w/o targetting which makes it even worse. Only thing BnS got going for is its graphics and maybe story but thats about yet.

yes.... NO

• DraemosDraemos Member UncommonPosts: 1,521

It only has aim based combat, everything else is pretty much the same as all other games. Some people think that by itself sets it apart enough to warrant a purchase, I didn't. 

I find it curious how easily people dismiss the improved combat system while bagging on the generic systems of the rest of the game.  The combat system is the most important aspect of a game by a wide margin.  The responsiveness and depth of WoWs combat system (in comparison to other tab/target games) is what set it apart  for the last 7 years.  That foundation was what was important, all the fluff they added on was possible because of that foundation.

This games combat system puts WoWs to shame.  It's got the best combat foundation of any MMO thats not a lobby game (ie Vindictus/Dragonsnest.  Plus its not like it's generic questing and such are bad.  All of the systems are well developed and polished.

Originally posted by rexzshadow

Fail troll fails, lvling is slow means you never even played this game at all, you lvl faster in Tera than dragon nest and vindictus. Animation are smooth, they reskin some mobs but each have different mechanic and takes about 10 lvl or so for them to reuse one at least. Also Blade and Soul isn't action combat, its like tab targetting w/o targetting which makes it even worse. Only thing BnS got going for is its graphics and maybe story but thats about yet.

ahahha i got 2 chars there lvl 40 ... lvling there mb faster but i havent told anything about fast or slow i told it is boring not dynamic like in that games ... different? there mobs like prehistoric lions they almost in all location with same mech ... mobs from first dungeon with same mech almost everywhere .... so mb u havent got this game .... "animation are smooth" it is simple , it is just easy to say that there are almost no animation =D mb sorc got something but otheres just no =D

And what about Blade and Soul , tab targ = some balance because with such type of combat with some classes really hard to play in pvp and there almost no pvp no balance at all 

You probably shouldn't play MMOs, cause ever single one is exactly that.

In Korea everything is F2P.  That's the business model they use.

Originally posted by Draemos

You probably shouldn't play MMOs, cause ever single one is exactly that.

=D this guy just wanna make some true argumentation =D

ahahha i got 2 chars there lvl 40 ... lvling there mb faster but i havent told anything about fast or slow i told it is boring not dynamic like in that games ... different? there mobs like prehistoric lions they almost in all location with same mech ... mobs from first dungeon with same mech almost everywhere .... so mb u havent got this game .... "animation are smooth" it is simple , it is just easy to say that there are almost no animation =D mb sorc got something but otheres just no =D

And what about Blade and Soul , tab targ = some balance because with such type of combat with some classes really hard to play in pvp and there almost no pvp no balance at all 

If i could understand wtf your trying to type it makes more sense but are you like using google translate coz thats so messy and hard to understand..... also if you played past lvl 30 you won't say the game is slow at all considering how much mob starts moving at lvl 30. The prehistoric lions show up once around lvl 12/13 and the second time it shows up it in the 3x area. And no the lvl 3x lion and the lvl 12/13 moves differently. I'm lvl 60 so i played hella more than you have. amost no animation... thats like the biggest lie there is.

and also all the class are extremely balanced in pvp, saying there is no balance seriously means you never pvp or likely from the rest of your statement never touched the game.

• GorillaGorilla Member UncommonPosts: 2,235

I decided no. The decision was easier in the EU (if I had of played it would be En Masse that got my moolah). Personally waiting for another title (no prizes for guessing). Maybe I'll play TSW as a filler. The question is whether to play Diablo as a filler before the filler.

Originally posted by Draemos

In Korea everything is F2P.  That's the business model they use.

Expect Tera is P2P and so is Aion....

• Mamora59Mamora59 Member Posts: 17

I would wait till a trial comes out or you can get a friend invite.

I gave Tera a shot in Beta and was unconvinced. The combat and the graphics were the only thing it had going for it. Aside from that  it felt like SWTOR to me. Same ol quests every time minus the cutscenes and your actions have no effect on the world around you.

If it was F2P then i would consider buying it but thats still iffy for me. I have a knack when it comes to MMOS that when i do something within the game i would expect SOMETHING to change in the world around me. Like my actions had consequences or something, but thats just me. Maybe im asking for too much.

Only thing Tera has going for it is the combat. It wont be enough to keep people subbing for long.