Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What is the smallest MMO niche group?

MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
Well the MMO genre is made up of different niche group sizes. What's the smallest Niche group?

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

Comments

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Originally posted by MMOExposed
    Well the MMO genre is made up of different niche group sizes. What's the smallest Niche group?

Ryzom. there so small there their own nihe.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• killion81killion81 Member UncommonPosts: 995

The smallest niche group possible is a "group" composed of 1, or 2 if you won't classify 1 as a "group".  Either way, it probably has a lot of very specific requirements for enjoyment of an MMO.

• snoop101snoop101 Member UncommonPosts: 400

Robots?  we got Perpetuum online and thats it, though the community is awesome.

• nateslonateslo Member UncommonPosts: 49

I would say the pacifists. I read about a person who leveled from 1-85 in WOW without intentionally killing anything. I think they did it by harvesting, exploration, and courier quests. Sounds a little masochistic, but hey... what ever floats your boat.

I would think that is the smallest niche, as I've only heard of one person ever doing it. I guess it's kind of like an extreme crafter, someone who absolutely abstains from combat at all costs. 

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769

Originally posted by nateslo

I would say the pacifists. I read about a person who leveled from 1-85 in WOW without intentionally killing anything. I think they did it by harvesting, exploration, and courier quests. Sounds a little masochistic, but hey... what ever floats your boat.

I would think that is the smallest niche, as I've only heard of one person ever doing it. I guess it's kind of like an extreme crafter, someone who absolutely abstains from combat at all costs. 

I was thinking pacifist role playing ffa pvpers.

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,898

PVE only sandboxers

• exdeathbrexdeathbr Member UncommonPosts: 137

Maybe Permadeath mmorpg.

Or full open RVR mmorpg.

I rememeber I was checking some MUD and there was a mud that was a roleplay mud, you had to create your story while making your chart and send to them, the game was also 1 life permadeath. And if you died you would need to create your char again.

• maplestonemaplestone Member UncommonPosts: 3,099

In the end, if you want to cut things down fine enough, we are each a niche onto ourselves.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

Don't really care as long as my preferences are supported by the industry.

• wrightstufwrightstuf Member UncommonPosts: 659

smallest niche group is probably path of exiles...the developers are 2 guys working out of their garage praying for donations. the player base is 8 or 9 people that includes mom, dad, aunt, and an uncle

• VengerVenger Member UncommonPosts: 1,309

Originally posted by FrodoFragins

PVE only sandboxers

Last time I played UO trammel was a hell of a lot more populated then felucia.

I'd guess the perma-death crowd.

• SoulOfRazielSoulOfRaziel Member UncommonPosts: 405

PVE only sandboxers

I do agree with you

• BadaboomBadaboom Member UncommonPosts: 2,380

Originally posted by SoulOfRaziel

PVE only sandboxers

I do agree with you

Female dwarf sandbox pve'er.

• sirphobossirphobos Member UncommonPosts: 620

54/72 man hardcore raiders, aka people who still play Everquest 1 in 5 night per week raiding guilds.

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

Micro-budget MMO enthusiasts.  People who play games where having 100 people in the whole world (only 1 server running) means the world is really busy.

Communities are usually fantastic, although a bit elitist and cliquey.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • futnatusfutnatus Member Posts: 193

Is it really true to assume the biggest group, as opposed to niche, is Themepark wanting, linear loving, casual easy-goers with an MMO addiction and poor people skills?

Maybe casual doesn't work with saying they're addicted... Though casually gaming and a casual game are different...

Err, anyway.  It's the silliest thing to pick something that's trendy like "PVE Sandboxers" or alike in stating the smallest niche.  Definitely not.  I gotta agree with people being more precise, such as those folk playing through not killing anything.  Gotta admire the dedication found there of course.

The smallest niche might just be so insignificant we don't even know it.

• KarahandrasKarahandras Member UncommonPosts: 1,703

Define niche?  As others have said could mean anything.  Some seem to think it's anyone that doesn't play wow, like themeparks etc.

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748

Smallest? Open world PvPers that don't gank.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• LarsaLarsa Member Posts: 990

Originally posted by Nitth

Ryzom. there so small there their own nihe.

Do not underestimate Ryzom, it's a lively community. I reckon there's more people on a typical Ryzom server than on a typical SWToR server these days. :)

Sorry, couldn't resist. My apologies to the SWToR fans.

I maintain this List of Sandbox MMORPGs. Please post or send PM for corrections and suggestions.

• SuperXero89SuperXero89 Member UncommonPosts: 2,551

I don't really think you can define a niche without their being a game available which suites their niche, so with that said, I'd say it's either perma-death fans (Salem) or those who enjoy world-building MMORPGs like Xyson, Wurm Online, and A Tale in the Desert.

• BigHatLoganBigHatLogan Member Posts: 688

The smallest niche is actual (not fake) SWTOR subscribers.

Are you a Pavlovian Fish Biscuit Addict? Get Help Now!
    I will play no more MMORPGs until somethign good comes out!

• BoreilBoreil Member UncommonPosts: 448

Originally posted by BigHatLogan

The smallest niche is actual (not fake) SWTOR subscribers.

Man i didn't know 1.3 million was small........

• ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574

Originally posted by MMOExposed

Its a Tie between FFA PvP gankers and Elitist Snob Raiders.  Seeing how both groups are always the most vocal makes it doubly worse.  Nothing Worse then those 2 niche groups and they have been the consternation of the MMO genre for far to long IMO.

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

• ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574

PVE only sandboxers

Thats why games like Skyrim sell 13 millions copies and when TESO is announced EVERY single Video game website immediately get swamped with thousands of angry voices and Reddit has 200+ pages of angry fans.  Yea I would call that pretty niche.

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

• dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699

Any game that requires a functioning prefrontal cortex.

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville