Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Most of the media are getting "it" wrong....

FadedbombFadedbomb Member Posts: 2,081

From all of the negative press I've been reading over the past week or so of TESO countless times I've come across articles that simply miss the point entirely as to why TESO is a bad investment (or idea) overall as an MMO.

Look, the reason TESO is horrible isn't because "The Elder Scrolls" series wouldn't work well as an MMO. Quite frankly, the opposite is true from myself, and my friend's, perspective. However, the TRUE problem with TESO is that they've taken the TES franchise and gone in an ENTIRELY different direction from what TheElderScrolls series has always been about.

Some examples:

-TESO is similar to TheElderScrolls series is as Blizzard making World of Warcraft 2 would be similar to StarWars: Galaxies 

-TESO is to TheElderScrolls series as Call of Duty is to the BattleField series, and vice versa.

Quite frankly, they've taken a relatively well known franchise and completely changed the "Target Mindset" for the entire series simply to get a larger profit margin. It's a poor strategy, and numerous studios are near-bust for similar moves. It's a bad investment overall, and unless the developers make a DRASTIC change to TESO (short of scrapping it entirely) they're in for a horrible surprise come release around 2014-2015 (should 2012 not be our last year =P).

So PLEASE, stop getting it wrong as to why there's SO MUCH negativity around The Elder Scrolls: Online. It is most certainly NOT because TES doesn't fit into an MMO environment. It is because the design decisions around the game, and it's playstyle, are COMPLETELY off-base with its fans. 

-Thank You

The Theory of Conservative Conservation of Ignorant Stupidity:
Having a different opinion must mean you're a troll.

Comments

• RamanadjinnRamanadjinn Member UncommonPosts: 1,365

would like to have seen a link to an article or video or something that "got it wrong"

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

I agree with the OP. The idea that you cannot make an open ended MMORPG similar to Skyrim is nonsense. Ultima Online was that kind of game so was Asheron's Call and SWG. So it is possible but it then it would not be catering to the WoW/ThemePark crowd, which is why it probably is not being made that away.

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775

agreed:

One of the articles suggested that TES fans perfer single player. They miss the point. Its not that we perfer single player. Its that this specific single player game has features we like.(this as in Morrowind, Skyrim etc).

this line of thinking will eventually lead to 'gamers dont like MMO's' because nobody plays them anymore. Its not that people dont like MMOs its that we dont like the cr*p they are creating for MMOs.

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• JakdstripperJakdstripper Member RarePosts: 2,410

definately agree.

a true TES mmo that exactly played like the TES games would simply be I N C R E D I B L E.

even if they had to cap servers at like 500 people max, a ton of people would play such a game. insted Zenimax would rather copy 99% of all other mmos and just use the TES name to milk just one more boring, generic, repetitive, tired WoW clone.  they can shove it where the sun don't shine, as far as i'm concerned.

• Creslin321Creslin321 Member Posts: 5,359

The Ultima series featured non-linear gameplay, "reagent" based magic, and a high degree of world interactivity.

Ultima online feature non-linear gameplay, "reagent" based magic, and a high devree of world interactivity.

The Final Fantasy series featured unique "class" systems that often allowed the player to switch and customize roles, more traditional leveling systems, and several iconic monsters, spells, and classes.

FFXI (online) featured a unique class system that allows players to switch and customize roles, a traditional leveling system, and several iconic monsters, spells, and classes.

The Elder Scrolls series features non-linear gameplay, a skill system, "action RPG" combat, a high degree of world interactivity, and a very iconic graphical style.

ESO features a class system, traditional tab-target action-bar combat, a low degree of world interactivity, a graphical style resembling WoW, and 3 faction PvP.

WTF

Are you team Azeroth, team Tyria, or team Jacob?

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Senior uo people are working on this game

If it was exactly like skyrim but a mmo, who would buy tes6
  • KelthiusKelthius Member UncommonPosts: 298

Originally posted by ShakyMo

It doesn't matter who is working on the game. From the info we have, there is nothing that relates TESO and UO other than it being a fantasy game. If it was a Skyrim MMO, most of the people on these forums would be happy.

Lol at graphical comparison to wow, massive bunch of hyperbole much? It looks nothing bloody like wow, it looks like tes meets rift meets Aoc graphics wise

Lol at graphical comparison to wow, massive bunch of hyperbole much? It looks nothing bloody like wow, it looks like tes meets rift meets Aoc graphics wise

ou should see the screenshot with the controls turned on. Its looks hysterical. No f*cking way would I play that.

I have, it doesn't look like wow.
  • DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Originally posted by Kelthius

It doesn't matter who is working on the game. From the info we have, there is nothing that relates TESO and UO other than it being a fantasy game. If it was a Skyrim MMO, most of the people on these forums would be happy.

Either way it would get the same amount of interest from me at this point.  "I'm listening, and waiting", that's it. I'd look at feedback the same way if it were "happy" people, because frankly we still don't know jackspit.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• Mike-McQueenMike-McQueen Member UncommonPosts: 267

I never thought the elder scrolls would ever turn me off though. I'll wait a see if they have an ace up there sleeve, but honestly, at this point it had better be four of a kind.

I'm a unique and beautiful snowflake.

Originally posted by Distopia

Either way it would get the same amount of interest from me at this point.  "I'm listening, and waiting", that's it. I'd look at feedback the same way if it were "happy" people, because frankly we still don't know jackspit.

The little we do know is enough to turn me off. I'm still going to give this game a chance, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

Originally posted by Distopia

The little we do know is enough to turn me off. I'm still going to give this game a chance, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

I am actually more intrested in the reaction of this game news than I am the game itself.

• necredonnecredon Member Posts: 118

Originally posted by Fadedbomb

From all of the negative press I've been reading over the past week or so of TESO countless times I've come across articles that simply miss the point entirely as to why TESO is a bad investment (or idea) overall as an MMO.

Look, the reason TESO is horrible isn't because "The Elder Scrolls" series wouldn't work well as an MMO. Quite frankly, the opposite is true from myself, and my friend's, perspective. However, the TRUE problem with TESO is that they've taken the TES franchise and gone in an ENTIRELY different direction from what TheElderScrolls series has always been about.

Some examples:

-TESO is similar to TheElderScrolls series is as Blizzard making World of Warcraft 2 would be similar to StarWars: Galaxies 

-TESO is to TheElderScrolls series as Call of Duty is to the BattleField series, and vice versa.

Quite frankly, they've taken a relatively well known franchise and completely changed the "Target Mindset" for the entire series simply to get a larger profit margin. It's a poor strategy, and numerous studios are near-bust for similar moves. It's a bad investment overall, and unless the developers make a DRASTIC change to TESO (short of scrapping it entirely) they're in for a horrible surprise come release around 2014-2015 (should 2012 not be our last year =P).

So PLEASE, stop getting it wrong as to why there's SO MUCH negativity around The Elder Scrolls: Online. It is most certainly NOT because TES doesn't fit into an MMO environment. It is because the design decisions around the game, and it's playstyle, are COMPLETELY off-base with its fans. 

-Thank You

You don't know anything about the game, all you know is that it will feature an action bar instead of an aiming system.

Your examples don't make sense, so PLEASE stop getting it wrong.

-Thank you

• RekindleRekindle Member UncommonPosts: 1,206

we know enough about the game to say what it is not and to a large extent this is the point.

What it is is a big let down for a lot of the fans.

Nope, you don't have any details, only big general terms which can be filled in in various ways.

Originally posted by necredon
    Nope, you don't have any details, only big general terms which can be filled in in various ways.

No pets- Pretty Straight forward. No Pets.
    No housing- Pretty Straight forward. No houses.
    Classes- Pretty Straight forward. Not skill based like the rest of TES.

Where am I suppose to fill in?

I'm replaying morrowind right now, i'm a warrior.

A warrior does sound a bit like a class now doesn't it?

=> you don't know how it will work

Since when have pets been such a big thing in ES?

No housing: Again, not such a big thing in ES, atleast to me and you never had the ability to build your own house, so what do these fans expect? About 6000 buyable houses per server? ( alts have to be included ofcourse) Or what? Introduce a ENTIRELY NEW SYSTEM to build houses? hmmm

No housing: Again, not such a big thing in ES, atleast to me

you selected warrior from your character creation screen? or was it that you (I forget exactly star chart or something).

yeah 

1. that is not your class

2. it doesnt affect game play that much as you mature as a character

3. I think you can change it whenever you want to.

whi the F*ck thinks that is a class? !

• KuinnKuinn Member UncommonPosts: 2,072

I'm more or less a TES fan and I'm still eagerly waiting to see if this game will be fun. Dont really care about the game mechanics, I'm a lot more concerned about game systems and structure (like PvP and questing) and also if I simply enjoy playing the game overall, and if the lore is not messed up.

I bet you guys would be whining if isometric TES realtime strategy game would be announced, just because it does not play like Skyrim even though it has "The Elder Scrolls" in its name. What if StarCraft shooter would be released? Oh the horror for it not being a strategy game, ffs it is StarCraft so it must be a strategy game with the exact same gameplay as all the other games in the series!

Actually no one would whine about TES RTS game, or about SC shooter, it's just the mmorpg(.com) genre where everyone whines as soon as they even hear a rumour about something.

I picked it from a list and it says "warrior" on my character info screen.

I picked it from a list and it says "warrior" on my character info screen.

thats not a class. I am sorry i didnt know you were new to RPGs and didnt know the difference between a class and a sign

• VidirVidir Member UncommonPosts: 963

Originally posted by Fadedbomb

Some examples:

Then why doe they name it The elder sccrolls online?

No housing: Again, not such a big thing in ES, atleast to me and you never had the ability to build your own house, so what do these fans expect? About 6000 buyable houses per server? ( alts have to be included ofcourse) Or what? Introduce a ENTIRELY NEW SYSTEM to build houses? hmmm

Custom classes were always a possibility. They are not definative classes such as "Only warriors have this ability" or "You must be a mage to use Conjuration." They were guidelines more than anything.

You're playing Morrowind, yes? Go get some conjuration spells. How many of them invole summoning pets? A lot of them. Now go play Oblivion and repeat. Now go play Skyrim, repeat.

Again, you're playing Morrowind certain quests will reward you with a house. Oblivion is the same deal, but you can also purchase houses. Skyrim is the same as Oblivion.

These things are part of TES and have been for years. Your ignorance doesn't change that.

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/