Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Secret World: One Million Register for Closed Beta

Comments

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    I'm not sure gw2 fans have been bashing tsw, they seem to be more anti lazy wow clones
  • GurpslordGurpslord Member Posts: 350

The game looks great from the distances that I've seen it from.  I'm going to get my hands on it tomorrow and make a call for myself.  Something to remember tho, the amount of people signing up for an open beta does not indicate in any way the measure of success the game will have.

This market is now almost entirely filed with people who move like nomads from one game to another, so betas like this are almost like free ice cream to this crowd.

• jtcgsjtcgs Member Posts: 1,777

Originally posted by Bjelar

Originally posted by HurricanePip

... are interested to see if Funcom can back up all their talk. 

"All their talk?" They've hardly opened their mouths at all about TSW. I have never ever seen this kind of secrecy and silence from a developer.

I bashed them for over-hyping AoC, but this is almost going too far -hardly a word yet, and 5 weeks to launch...

I have...Anarchy Online and Age of Conan...both where clamped down unitl just before release and they had to let more in for the stress test.

That is the one thing Funcom knows about...dont let people talk about how bad the game is until its too late for pre-orders to be effected.

Fool me once...fool me twice...they dont get a third chance. I will sit back for a year, then maybe i'll read up about it and if they have actually managed to learn from over 10 years worth of not being able to fix bugs, patch and upgrade their games in a timely fashion.

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

• bartoni33bartoni33 Member RarePosts: 2,044

"All their talk?" They've hardly opened their mouths at all about TSW. I have never ever seen this kind of secrecy and silence from a developer.

I bashed them for over-hyping AoC, but this is almost going too far -hardly a word yet, and 5 weeks to launch...

I see you don't have a Facebook account. It's all over that garbage pile.

Looking forward to this weekend since I have to go back to work Monday and will miss the GW2 event.

Bartoni's Law definition: As an Internet discussion grows volatile, the probability of a comparison involving Donald Trump approaches 1.

• BjelarBjelar Member UncommonPosts: 398

Originally posted by jtcgs

I have...Anarchy Online and Age of Conan...both where clamped down unitl just before release and they had to let more in for the stress test.

That is the one thing Funcom knows about...dont let people talk about how bad the game is until its too late for pre-orders to be effected.

Fool me once...fool me twice...they dont get a third chance. I will sit back for a year, then maybe i'll read up about it and if they have actually managed to learn from over 10 years worth of not being able to fix bugs, patch and upgrade their games in a timely fashion.

I don't know about AO, but AoC was hyped to insane levels -I still remember the "armed combat demo video" it's prob. still on youtube. AoC's launch was delayed twice, but even before the first delay hype-videos were all over the place.

The launch of TSW is complete silence in comparison.

• ChingoChingo Member UncommonPosts: 128

Originally posted by ShakyMo

I'm not sure gw2 fans have been bashing tsw, they seem to be more anti lazy wow clones

Well I for one am not. Love gw2, hope TSW will be as good as I think it could. Expecting to be in serious trouble when Planetside2 launches. A positive problem. Nice.

• bonehedbonehed Member UncommonPosts: 15
    I am looking forward to this. Swtor has become so dead that I just play alts but that can get boring fast. This game looks like it could be awesome and playing an mmo with real life places with fantasy thrown in sounds cool.
  • NevulusNevulus Member UncommonPosts: 1,288

Yeah that is pretty interesting, I did not see a lot of hype for TSW. Especially after they hyped up AoC, we all know how that ended up.

Is it a good thing or bad? Who knows. Last minute I deicded to go ahead and give TSW a shot, I have no expectations other than a good story in the lore.

• L0C0ManL0C0Man Member UncommonPosts: 1,065

Originally posted by jtcgs

I don't know about AO, but AoC was hyped to insane levels -I still remember the "armed combat demo video" it's prob. still on youtube. AoC's launch was delayed twice, but even before the first delay hype-videos were all over the place.

The launch of TSW is complete silence in comparison.

I agree, TSW is if anything underhyped, not only compared to AoC, but to other games out there right now. Heck, I remember the whole week before the first beta weekend of GW2, searching "guildwars2" on tweeter and was basically going faster than I could read, TSW has much MUCH fewer comments. I'm guessing that funcom is doing the opposite of what they did with Age of Conan, instead of overhyping the game leading to dissapointment when it launched in the state it was, keeping hype in check and try to woo players with the game (hopefully much more complete than AoC was) and let word of mouth spread.

Personally, most likely won't be playing it, not because of funcom (though that would have made me not play at releast but wait 1 or 2 months) but because of financial reasons (I'm in Venezuela, because of stupid laws I can't spend more than $400 a year online and I spent most of that in parts to upgrade my computer already and in GW2), but it does pick my interest enough to see how it does and where it goes after release, and I'll be testing this weekend since I got one of gamespot beta keys.

What can men do against such reckless hate?

• Slashed316Slashed316 Member UncommonPosts: 151

Originally posted by Caldrin

Originally posted by Tyroki

But this has been over a long period of time.

Meanwhile, Guild Wars 2 pulled that over the course of 2 days o.o;

yeah because GW2 is the second comnig of christ..

GW2 had a beta sign up quite some time before and also pre-orders qutie a bit before and millinos more spent on advertising the fact you would get into beta if you pre-ordered LOL..

Just wanted to point out the first pre order item for you "Beta Weekend"

http://www.thesecretworld.com/buy/

• gilgamesh42gilgamesh42 Member Posts: 300

its a funcom game i feel bad for ppl that have high hope for the game

• VotanVotan Member UncommonPosts: 291

As other people have already stated I will wait on this game for at least 6 months it could be a good game but going to wait and make sure based on Funcoms past.

• xxpigxxxxpigxx Member UncommonPosts: 412
    What time does the server(s) open?
  • heartlessheartless Member UncommonPosts: 4,993

I have very little faith in Funcom but I'll give this game a fair shot tomorrow. You never know, I may be surprised.

• HengistHengist Member RarePosts: 1,282

Ragnar and the concepts that they talked about originally were what made me start to pay cursory interest in TSW. Having experienced both AO and AoC at launch I was hesitant to get too involved early on. Concepts are great early on, but with 5 weeks before launch, I'm definitely interested to give the game a whirl and see how they have brought things off.

Having done the other Funcom titles, I've got some basic expecations of some linear design, and instancing, but it comes back to the concept. I'm glad I havent focused on following the game, and am instead here, and now ready to see what it has in store.

Spent some time thinkin' about what has me interested and tossed it on a blog today.

• GyrusGyrus Member UncommonPosts: 2,413

Here we go again.

A Marketing Beta.

A company 'boasting' about how many people have 'signed up' for the 'Beta'

Limited time and access.

I'm a bit bored with this cycle... anyone who has been with MMORPG.com for more than a couple of years has seen this many times and knows where this is likely to be heading.

It's a 'stress test'.  Any issues will be met by the developer (and fanbois) excusing it by saying that they wanted to see how the system performed under high loads etc etc and any lag or crashes were expected and valuable data was collected...blah blah blah...

No one cares how many people (actually ACCOUNTS - not individuals since some will have multiple accounts) have 'signed up' as interested for the Beta...

Well actually that is not quite true is it?

When you are a publicly listed company - (you have shares on the stock market)) then this is a figure your company and your accountants can use to attract investors and on your prospectus for profit projections... but be real careful with that because I am pretty sure intentionally misleading share holders is a crime in many places.

Limited time and access to restricted areas...

We have definately seen this before.  It keeps people in the "honeymoon period" and anyone who has ever played any MMO before knows that your first 24-48 hours playing an MMO is spent trying to figure out the mechanics and get used to it.

You don't really begin to get a grip on any issues fro a few days when you really start looking around.

Nothing says irony like spelling ideot wrong.

• NevulusNevulus Member UncommonPosts: 1,288

Quite a lot of people signing up. I am sure they just want to test the waters before committing.

I sure do like the intro music from the login screen!

• wrightstufwrightstuf Member UncommonPosts: 659

Originally posted by Gyrus

Here we go again.

A Marketing Beta.

Limited time and access.

I'm a bit bored with this cycle... anyone who has been with MMORPG.com for more than a couple of years has seen this many times and knows where this is likely to be heading.

It's a 'stress test'.  Any issues will be met by the developer (and fanbois) excusing it by saying that they wanted to see how the system performed under high loads etc etc and any lag or crashes were expected and valuable data was collected...blah blah blah...

No one cares how many people (actually ACCOUNTS - not individuals since some will have multiple accounts) have 'signed up' as interested for the Beta...

When you are a publicly listed company - (you have shares on the stock market)) then this is a figure your company and your accountants can use to attract investors and on your prospectus for profit projections... but be real careful with that because I am pretty sure intentionally misleading share holders is a crime in many places.

We have definately seen this before.  It keeps people in the "honeymoon period" and anyone who has ever played any MMO before knows that your first 24-48 hours playing an MMO is spent trying to figure out the mechanics and get used to it.

You don't really begin to get a grip on any issues fro a few days when you really start looking around.

"here we go again?"...you seem awfully naive when it comes to basic business. why would any mmo developer not want to market their product?" you need to get the word out and in the case of mmos, the beta period is the logical place to do it. you want to get as much exposure as possible within your marketing budget in order to attract as many people to your product as possible. its a business and they are in it to make money. whats wriong with that? it seems like a smart and sound way to accomplish that , with testing and recooping development costs as a side benefit. its up to us as saavy consumers to make good decisions on buying or not...simple, right?

• AeolronAeolron Member Posts: 648
    You guys do realize that f2p games are more costly them sub based. I rather pay 15 bucks a month then pony up 20-30 a month to get more content, mmos=p2p if you don't like it, stick with your cheap console gaming. You won't be missed!
  • LordRelicLordRelic Member Posts: 281

Im so very very sorry i got into this one too.. omg horrid everything about what they have done so far is b rate in the worse possible way.  I know its just a beta but omg

• oubersoubers Member UncommonPosts: 855

Originally posted by oubers

yeah yeah GW2 is the best........./end sarcasm

I wouldn't say that.

What I'm saying is, one million in 2 days is far more impressive than one million over a longer period of time.

Why always comparing these games????? this is nothing like GW2 except that its also an mmo.

its getting anoying that people use these "its like" or "x is better" statements.

Me......i am just looking forward to try this game....hoping i will like it.....nothing more or less.

BTW: this is a TSW thread and not GW2 if i am correct, no?

• IAmMMOIAmMMO Member UncommonPosts: 1,462

1 mill is about average for the amount  MMO roamers looking for that something new out there that use betas to test the waters.

• MagnetiaMagnetia Member UncommonPosts: 1,015

Why can't we just be happy to be given the opportunity to play something? =

Liking games is not a competition. Let the companies handle that XD

Play for fun. Play to win. Play for perfection. Play with friends. Play in another world. Why do you play?

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

Originally posted by Gyrus

Here we go again.

A Marketing Beta.

Limited time and access.

I guess maybe this beta test is part marketing yes... but it is their first true stress test as well so i dont really expect anything to be smooth this weekend.. hell even GW2 no sorry jesus2 had issues during the open beta weekend.

So yes this is a specific test stressing the servers by putting everyone in the same area.. sure you might be able to get a small taste of what the game will be like but thats not its main objective..

• lilHealalilHeala Member UncommonPosts: 522

Originally posted by Slashed316

Originally posted by Caldrin

yeah because GW2 is the second comnig of christ..

GW2 had a beta sign up quite some time before and also pre-orders qutie a bit before and millinos more spent on advertising the fact you would get into beta if you pre-ordered LOL..

Just wanted to point out the first pre order item for you "Beta Weekend"

http://www.thesecretworld.com/buy/

This, and it's also nothing new has been done by many games for years (Rift did the same for example in 2010).

Folks just are looking for things to hate on GW2 just because they can't stand that so many people are enthusiastic about it based on actual gameplay footage and honoust information about feats and state of development by Anet since the first Gamescom demo 2 years ago; and their own experience with it either on gameshows or in the BWE. Guess it's hard to grasp that not all hype is fuelled by media hype and cgi trailers.