Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Secret World: One Million Register for Closed Beta

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Funcom has announced that a million players have registered for closed beta access for The Secret World. The first closed beta event is slated to begin on May 11th and run through May 13th.

In the first Beta Weekend, named ‘Kingsmouth Calling’, players will get to join the Templar secret society starting out in London, before they get to visit parts of Solomon Island to investigate the mysterious events that have occurred there. Players will get to play around with the groundbreaking progression system that is free of restrictions such as classes and levels, and will have the chance to experience the unique storyline that ‘The Secret World’ offers.

Find out more about The Secret World.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• nobloodnoblood Member UncommonPosts: 13

B2P it would be a winner

• NevulusNevulus Member UncommonPosts: 1,288

I account for 2 of those 1 million  =/

Apparently there is an issue with my Funcom account due to inactivity, I had to call customer support to unlock my account, which I have, and they haven't unlocked it yet but they were quick to register my account for the TSW Beta this weekend. Well, some of you already know how aweful Funcom customer support is.

So rather than wait I went ahead and created a new account for this weekends Beta event, eventhough my original Funcom account is already set for this TSW Beta.

I can't help but wonder how many of those 1 million are being cannibalized from AoC and AO. I know quite a few AO players, faithful to Funcom, who are going to try TSW this weekend.

And on another note, how cool would it be to RP in a modern day setting! I wonder if they will allow a large amount of customization (clothing-wise) and social hubs. I wonder if there will be a RP-dedicated server.

I am still waiting for one company to put back the RP in mmoRPg. 

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

Suprised they have that many considering all the basing from the GW2 fans..

Cant wait to give this a go on the weekend... :)

• TyrokiTyroki Member UncommonPosts: 183

But this has been over a long period of time.

Meanwhile, Guild Wars 2 pulled that over the course of 2 days o.o;

MMO's played: Ragnarok Online (For years), WoW (for a few weeks only), Guild Wars, Lineage 2, Eve, Allods, Shattered Galaxy, 9 Dragons, City of Heroes, City of Villains, Star Trek Online (Got someone ELSE to pay for it), Champions Online (Someone else paid), Dofus, Dragonica, LOTRO, DDO and more... A LOT more. I've played good AND bad. The bad didn't last long. :P

• oubersoubers Member UncommonPosts: 855

Originally posted by Tyroki

yeah yeah GW2 is the best........./end sarcasm

• NevulusNevulus Member UncommonPosts: 1,288

Originally posted by Caldrin

Seems like it only took 4 posts before the bashing began, not counting the first anonymous "b2p" post. And there goes the derailment of the thread. I bet he turns it into a "GW2 vs TSW" topic

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

yeah because GW2 is the second comnig of christ..

GW2 had a beta sign up quite some time before and also pre-orders qutie a bit before and millinos more spent on advertising the fact you would get into beta if you pre-ordered LOL..

• TyrokiTyroki Member UncommonPosts: 183

Originally posted by oubers

yeah yeah GW2 is the best........./end sarcasm

I wouldn't say that.

What I'm saying is, one million in 2 days is far more impressive than one million over a longer period of time.

MMO's played: Ragnarok Online (For years), WoW (for a few weeks only), Guild Wars, Lineage 2, Eve, Allods, Shattered Galaxy, 9 Dragons, City of Heroes, City of Villains, Star Trek Online (Got someone ELSE to pay for it), Champions Online (Someone else paid), Dofus, Dragonica, LOTRO, DDO and more... A LOT more. I've played good AND bad. The bad didn't last long. :P

• DrinkingbearDrinkingbear Member Posts: 60

Yeah. I'm having a blast playing right now. Look forward towards the week-end; then Monday more GW2 beta for awhile. Hooray.

• bakabrödbakabröd Member Posts: 129

more ppl means better game right? no

but this game is intresting and im looking foreward to this even if they have like just 10k ppls.

• QuicksandQuicksand Member UncommonPosts: 683

I cant wait for GW2 to launch so we can finally hear how terrible it is.

I don't think it's going to be terrible, it's just the standard mmorpg.com evolution will continue as always.

1. My game is going to be so much more awesomness than your sorry game.

2. (My game launches)

3. My game sucks... cause it's not my game it's actually your game!! and your game sucks!!

4. I can't wait for my game to launch, it's going to be so much better than your sorry game!!

www.90and9.net
    www.prophecymma.com

• Mors.MagneMors.Magne Member UncommonPosts: 1,549

If it's a real beta test, it will have a Non-Disclosure Agreement.

If it's a 'marketing beta', it won't.

• onelesslightonelesslight Member UncommonPosts: 161

Originally posted by Mors.Magne

Their site mentions no NDA, so I guess marketing beta it is

• asj18asj18 Member UncommonPosts: 86

i am a beta tester and the game is alot of fun its not easy  it makes you think  and alot of trial and error but its alot of fun. its not a mindless grinder thats for sure

Games I will be playing are: TES V, SWTOR, ME 3, TSW

• ThorbrandThorbrand Member Posts: 1,198

Well I think many people are waiting for GW2 and D3. Myself I am testing it to see if it is any good but stopped following last year with all the changes. So a lot of people just want something to play this weekend to pass the time.

Let's hope the game blows our mind.

• lilHealalilHeala Member UncommonPosts: 522

They're not mutually exclusive. Sure I've been very enthusiastic and hyped up for GW2 since a few years but I allways thought TSW looks interesting as well. And besides that, one gotta play something while waiting for the next GW2 BWE and launch :D

• RagnorMalakRagnorMalak Member UncommonPosts: 115

I foresee problems with the login server when one million people try to login on fridays at the same time. Hopefully they can fix it as quick as ANet with GW2 so we still can play the game on saturday, and not, like TERA, that they have to postpone the whole weekend. If there wouldn't be any problems it would be a miracle, as all other MMO first beta weekends I have been part of had problems.

Don't get me wrong: I don't want to it to fail; I would love to have a smooth beta weekend experience, just saying this so you guys aren't suprised if problems do occur. Not that it would be the end of the world (of TSW). Even though Frogster had to postpone their first TERA beta weekend event it turned out to be okay in the end as far as I know (didn't buy TERA).

• gladosrev2gladosrev2 Member CommonPosts: 203

Surprised? I'm a huge GW2 fan but have waited for TSW for about equally long, mainly because of Ragnar Tornquist of The Longest Journey fame. I still have that card with special code from the investigation event few years back when TSW was first unveiled.

And I will be one of those testing TSW this wekend. And guess what, I have already prepurchased GW2.. and will not be buying TSW even if its pretty good. I simply can't afford it + it's a sub based model (aka rip-off model), so I'll wait for FTP before trying it for real.

As good as TSW sounded years ago, it simply isn't what I hoped for. It will share some of the features of AOC, including heavily instanced, tiny areas - which is a MMO-killer for me. I'll try it anyway as I considr it one of the big three - along with GW2 and Archeage, tht actually try to change the stagnant MMO genre and fix it. But so far only GW2 and ArenaNet seem to be inspired and are doing it the right way - even if not quite all the way.

Anyway your flaming attempt fails right here, plenty of GW2 fan will attend this wekeend's TSW beta. Why? To kill time before the next GW2 BWE ;) I already pretty much know what to expect from TSW, always doing my research.

My Guild Wars 2 First Beta Weekend "reviewette" : http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/post/4944570/thread/349125#4944570

• HurricanePipHurricanePip Member Posts: 167

I think a lot of us who are probably going to play GW2 are interested to see if Funcom can back up all their talk.  The talk sounds good, but the previews haven't really supported that Funcom can produce a polished MMO that deserves a box cost + subscription fee.  Considering how close to launch TSW is and how little has been shown, it's kinda concerning.

I'm curious about TSW, but at this point, I'm betting the launch turns out like AoC.  10-20 levels of generally polished content then the game starts to break down from lack of content and/or unbalanced characters (class?) builds. 

I'm going to try the beta, but I wouldn't even consider buying this game until a month or 2 after launch.  The noob experience may be good, but personally, I think the game's going to break down in the end like AoC did and to a lesser extent, TOR did.

If you don't worry about it, it's not a problem.

• alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584

also beta testing do not = as sales. myself I will chec the game just to see it, not gonna buy it, not gonna play it, i'm not a fool to play a sub game with CS, I have more important thing to see and play then lose my on this crap

FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
  • gunmanvladgunmanvlad Member UncommonPosts: 281

Ah, I just hope this doesn't mean that the servers will keep crashing the first 24h.

Looking at past betas, there are good changes that issues will arise, but here's to hoping I won't be amongst those unlucky few~! :D

Still, possibly a great game and I can't wait to try it out.

• JamkullJamkull Member UncommonPosts: 214
    Funcom does a lot of niche games, and I like how they aren't scared to try and do something really original and not down the normal beaten paths
  • TwystedWizTwystedWiz Member UncommonPosts: 175

Originally posted by Vindicta

Originally posted by Mors.Magne

Their site mentions no NDA, so I guess marketing beta it is

Unless they say no NDA, there is one.  Pre-purchasers had to accept it when they registered also.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    There is no nda for the weekend open betas
  • BjelarBjelar Member UncommonPosts: 398

Originally posted by HurricanePip

... are interested to see if Funcom can back up all their talk. 

"All their talk?" They've hardly opened their mouths at all about TSW. I have never ever seen this kind of secrecy and silence from a developer.

I bashed them for over-hyping AoC, but this is almost going too far -hardly a word yet, and 5 weeks to launch...