Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

TERA: Review in Progress - Part Three

BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565

MMORPG.com is committed to giving our readers the best and most informative reviews of today's hottest MMOs. With that in mind, we're taking a new tack with TERA and giving it a multiple week timetable for review. In today's installment, we take a look at an instanced dungeon and at guild quests and politics. Read on!

I finally began to go some guild quests this past week too, in the hopes that we’ll manage to at least ding and hold level two with our motley crew of 10 or so active guild members. We’re not big, but we try to maintain. You see, in TERA, your guild can and should partake in the Political Vanarch system which will open up (we’re told) at the end of May for its first round of voting. There are 13 regions that can and will have Vanarchs ruling them, even the tutorial Island of Dawn. The Vanarch who is voted in to a region can control the trade brokers, the taxes on sold items, access to teleports and more.

Read more of Bill Murphy's TERA: Review in Progress - Part Three.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

Comments

• GreenWidowGreenWidow Member Posts: 157

I agree completely.  I simply can not stop playing Tera.  This game is really a lot of fun!

“Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie, cheat or steal. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil. Never back away from an enemy. Either fight or surrender. It is not enough to say I will not be evil. Evil must be fought wherever it is found.”The Iron Code"

• RedKatanaRedKatana Member Posts: 211
    Same here, Im having a blast so far.
  • wasim470wasim470 Member Posts: 243

i'm trying to be intersted in this game, but not really sure why i can't......

i think it's the classic questing and lack of raiding or ( Big  scale pve ) 

• ClocksimusClocksimus Member Posts: 354

Originally posted by wasim470

i'm trying to be intersted in this game, but not really sure why i can't......

i think it's the classic questing and lack of raiding or ( Big  scale pve ) 

collision detection makes it so it is very hard to scale a fight to large groups such as raids.  Run a dungeon with a mostly melee group and see how many times you get stuck between players and now double or triple that and you have a raid setting.  The combat is just too movement intensive for 25 guys to be slapping  one target unless it's hitbox is absurdly massive.

• NadriellNadriell Member UncommonPosts: 197
    got my copy today can't wait
  • RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991
    Great game! Currently lvl45 on my warrior on Dragonfall as well Bill. Name's Kelistryde.

Joined - July 2004

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002

It is important to note that the feel and population are different from server to server. Meaning, on any of the pve servers (most are recommended with one usually at medium) the feel is a bit more serene. Especially at the higher levels as many people haven't gotten there yet.

On the two most populated pvp servers (which are usually full) the atmostphere is a lot more energetic, more "alive". Of course the conversation also tends to be a bit more acerbic and aggressive. But there is a greater feeling that "something is happening".

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • m240gulfm240gulf Member UncommonPosts: 460
    I have given up using my free 30 days in swtor they just gave me to play with diamond in the rough gem of a game.

People always complain all mmo's are the same...well the combat here...well, let's just say your TAB key has other uses...

I Reject your Reality and Substitute it with My Own!

• gilgamesh42gilgamesh42 Member Posts: 300

U HAVE NOT LIVED UNTIL YOU HAVE [mod edit] 2 BAMS AT THE SAME TIME YOU HAVE NOT LIVEEEDDDDDDDDDDD

• LukeKLukeK Member Posts: 2

As people may have gathered from the GW2 vs TERA article, I'm enjoying this game hugely!

• SepultaSepulta Member Posts: 2

I will say that I have a SWTOR sub. 2 infact one for my son and myslef. I haven't logged in almost 2 months. He continues to play. I  may let my account go dormant. He saw me playing TERA and I was begged to get another account for TERA. So I did. I was pleasantly invited to The Secret World Closed Beta and I am going through TERA withdrawal. I will say that the combat is what I am missing. Despite the non level grinding of TSW.

My guild on TERA is hated and at war with 2 other guillds LOL. We love to PK. As it should be on a PvP server. I agree the crafting is uber expensive but I am finding at least more money is dropping from higher level mobs.

It is insane to see lvl 60s running around already. My guild leader was lvl 60 a week ago. He says he did things he's ashamed of LOL. South Park chamber pots comes to mind. Or NASA diapers.

• HeroEvermoreHeroEvermore Member Posts: 672

I am a level 54 berserker and i must say they scaled the games questing very very well. Though the grind surely slowed down even at 54 it is not "slow". I played aion and i quit at 42 realizing everyone next to me was botting because hey, it took 24 hours of skill spam to lvl. /uninstall.

Tera is the most fun ive had in ages. Maybe its because i always drooled over monster hunter and it never got ported to pc. Well this is my monster hunter and I have found myself a home. There are sure a lot of games out there. Recently got into TSW and GW2. I just have no interest in these anymore. Tera came out at a good time. Maybe people have a found an unexpeted home to make them happy. Like me.

<3 Arboreans

Hero Evermore
    Guild Master of Dragonspine since 1982.
    Playing Path of Exile and deeply in love with it.

• HeroEvermoreHeroEvermore Member Posts: 672

As to peoples worry about crafting expenses. I am a lvl 54 and i have 5,000 gold. Now that is probably in the top 10 on my server but mobs drop up to 7 gold now, so yeah it aint that bad.

Hero Evermore
    Guild Master of Dragonspine since 1982.
    Playing Path of Exile and deeply in love with it.

• leroysgleroysg Member UncommonPosts: 97
    is there a friend invite to trail before subbin it?
    if yes any kind soul mind throw a invite to me via PM. thx
  • leroysgleroysg Member UncommonPosts: 97
    is there a friend invite to let them trial before decide to sub it? if yes and you don't mind throwing a invite via PM. I would very much appreciate your kind invite. cheers!
  • umcorianumcorian Member UncommonPosts: 519

Wow, the more I see, the more impressed I become.

My inner skeptic is telling me to wait 2 and a half more months though. Just been burned too many times by MMOs who frontload their content.  

• uruhauruha Member Posts: 3

I just order my copy. I have been looking at reviews since I am getting buyer's remorse.

• PureblockPureblock Member Posts: 7

The Best MMORPG for 2012 released so far IMO, this game will probably make it on top better than GW2.

• xposeidonxposeidon Member Posts: 384

You must be in terrible pain Mr. BillMurphy, looking forward to part four and the "new" things you have done.

Remember... all I'm offering is the truth. Nothing more.

• VorchVorch Member UncommonPosts: 793

Ahh, the reviewer played as a lancer...

...didn't have to worry about 1-2hour dungeon ques, did you?

Here are my issues with TERA right now:

10. Exploring where with your lancer, Mr. Murphy? I'd really like to know what exploration/exploration incentives there are in TERA. Imo, it's a beautiful world that is much too hollow. If there are places to explore, lemme know.

9. Crafting is...quite frankly, a joke. I'm also going to list dyes with expiration dates here as well. Try to do some alchemy w/o breaking your bank.

8. Community is...well...fiercely loyal to EME/BH. To the point where you can not mention another PC game. I dare you to say you enjoy other MMOs/CoRPGs as well (came from Vindictus, Dragon's Nest, GW1 (quit), GW2 beta, DCUO (casual), and Rift (quit)). It's to be expected, but still...

7. The rooted animations. Oh, I love it when people compare TERA to Street Fighter or Tekken with their "rooted" animations. First of all, SF has VERY short animation roots as well as methods of canceling out of those animation roots. Tekken has longer animation roots, but still much shorter than TERA's. In point 8, I mentioned that I came from Vindictus and Dragon's Nest when I heard that TERA was an action MMO. They need to stop saying that. Target based? Yes. Action? Relative to GW1, Rift, and WoW? Sure! Relative to Vindictus, Dragon's Nest, hell, even DCUO? Not so much.

6. Political system where only a few dozen players will ever be involved. (Please be smart with your votes...I really don't want to have a low supply of stores available on June 1st)

5.  No endgame item vendors until Vanarch system is implemented...that's about 2 weeks away. Price gouging is...not so great.

4. No structured PvP outside of ganking (Hopefully we'll be getting some Server v Server ala GW2/DAoC). Can't wait for battlegrounds

3. LFG chat has become the All Chat for trolls...needs some moderation or something

2. Looting...oh the looting, is horrible. Some Lancer leaders set the group to low priority so they get the best loot. Also, if you die, you can't roll for loot...meaning if no one rezzes you, they can take all the loot. I may need to find a more active guild so this doesn't happen to me, but it's already happened 4 or 5 times...

1. You can't play the class that you want and still play dungeons...if you aren't a lancer, you are waiting from 30 mins to 2 hours. We need 2 more tank classes to stop the insanity. My suggestion to you all is not to roll a DPS if you want to play the game in it's entirity.  You were VERY lucky to have chosen a lancer, Mr. Murphy.

I didn't list the first 20 levels, questing, lore, etc because those have been beaten to death already.

"As you read these words, a release is seven days or less away or has just happened within the last seven days— those are now the only two states you’ll find the world of Tyria."...Guild Wars 2