Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

First metacritic rating up: 8.4/10

Comments

• rexzshadowrexzshadow Member Posts: 1,428

Originally posted by SoulOfRaziel

WOW.... im not saying that tera isnt good, cause it is and like to play it for now but....

9/10? 10/10? NO WAY tera have lots of down sides not only the lack of a battleground....

If TERA was a game worth of 10/10 why would it fail in Korea???

I failed during launch and is currently 3rd most played mmorpg. Idk how 3rd place is fail at all.

[Mod Edit]

• PivotelitePivotelite Member UncommonPosts: 2,145

Originally posted by Eir_S

Originally posted by beb2592

Might be a little bit early for a review... Hopefully other reviews will be giving it good scores and the word gets spread that this is actually a fun game.

The end result is going to be the same.  It will score well like every other MMO, but it will have little to no bearing on its success or failure.  Seriously, what MMO has scored badly with the critics on Meta?  Even the failed ones got good scores..

Look at the user reviews though, both on this site and on metacritic they are very good, nobody cares about the critics anyways, the probably get payed by every MMO company out there.

So at least the user reviews say good things about the game, I just hope people can keep themselves amused until battlegrounds late summer. :)

• NBlitzNBlitz Member Posts: 1,904
    I agree with some earlier posts.
    Too early for any kind of review.
    Haven't people learned anything?
  • AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928

Originally posted by Pivotelite

Might be a little bit early for a review... Hopefully other reviews will be giving it good scores and the word gets spread that this is actually a fun game.

The end result is going to be the same.  It will score well like every other MMO, but it will have little to no bearing on its success or failure.  Seriously, what MMO has scored badly with the critics on Meta?  Even the failed ones got good scores..

Look at the user reviews though, both on this site and on metacritic they are very good, nobody cares about the critics anyways, the probably get payed by every MMO company out there.

So at least the user reviews say good things about the game, I just hope people can keep themselves amused until battlegrounds late summer. :)

yea and look at the crappy user reviews for SWTOR yet somehow it manages to have 1.3 milliion subs( still beleive number is WAY lower right now)  or better yet look at the user reviews for Cataclysm how many subs wow still have? either way like people said before early reviews for these types of games are usually overly positive until people start reaching endgame and making alts then realise theres really no substance ot the game.

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• AzmodaiAzmodai Member UncommonPosts: 154

Originally posted by Aerowyn

Originally posted by Pivotelite

yea and look at the crappy user reviews for SWTOR yet somehow it manages to have 1.3 milliion subs( still beleive number is WAY lower right now)  or better yet look at the user reviews for Cataclysm how many subs wow still have? either way like people said before early reviews for these types of games are usually overly positive until people start reaching endgame and making alts then realise theres really no substance ot the game.

Your point? SWTOR and WOW are both popular I mean even if Blizzard shits on every WOW player in this world, they would still want more. Users and Critics Agree on the score but you say that "NOOO you all are wrong and I am right, this game FAILS" Ok bro I didnt know we have a Gypse here. Are you just mad Because this game is actually getting attention? Oh and btw I have reached End game so your point is? I am having a blast and not 1 game comes close. So how about you tell me how I Should Enjoy my time and Just how My enjoyment of TERA is all part of my Imagination.

Anyways I think TERA deserves the score but remember that Nexuses and Politicals are not fully out yet (will be out in a week) and its already getting this much score. 

• xposeidonxposeidon Member Posts: 384

Originally posted by holdenhamlet

WOW.... im not saying that tera isnt good, cause it is and like to play it for now but....

9/10? 10/10? NO WAY tera have lots of down sides not only the lack of a battleground....

People already explained why it flopped there in another thread.  It wasn't complete at release.

Besides obviously the east and west have different tastes.  Just because something did poorly over there doesn't mean it will here.

I agree with u on this.

I just think that a game with so many down sides does not deserve a perfect 10 or something close to it.

and again i enjoy playing tera and i am currently paying it at least for now

Well, I'm not sure what down sides you're talking about.  The things the guy in this thread listed are fairly minor if you ask me, although I do agree that there should be more organized pvp.  I too would love to see raids on guild houses but I don't think we'll see that for awhile.  Battlegrounds are coming at some point.

I'm just not sure what it would take to get a 9 or 10 out of 10 from critics (besides fans like me).  WoW constantly gets them handed to them but they haven't improved the genre for a long time.  This game has everything WoW has (minus battlegrounds, raids and Arena), but it's way more fun to play and it looks tons better.  

Oh believe me, there's plenty of downsides to this game, more than positives. It's far from a perfect 10. Still too early for reviews, I doubt the critics even got to 60 to experience endgame content.

Remember... all I'm offering is the truth. Nothing more.

• Reas43Reas43 Member Posts: 297
    "If it's so great why would it fail in Korea, etc"

1) This is not Korea. This is NA/EU TERA. What flies in Korea might not fly here, what "flops" in Korea might not "flop" here. It's been argued the game is not "grindy" enough for Asian tastes but we all know how Westerners feel about grinds.

2) Flop in Korea? If a business is operating, providing revenue and turning a profit, no matter how small, it's still a successful business.

MMO forum keyboard commandoes seem to believe that if a game doesn't have millions of subs or is number 1 then it's a flop. It's like saying if a small business does not launch to be the Walmart empire within it's first month then it's a failure. Ludicrous.
  • IstavaanIstavaan Member Posts: 1,350

The first metacritic ratings are up, based on 4 critical reviews.  TERA is averaging 8.3/10.

http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/tera

I'd give it 9/10 for a newly released MMO (although it had the advantage of a year out in Korea).  Only reason not a 10/10 is because there's no battlegrounds and more organized pvp.

I agree with the snippet from the guy from GamingXP:

TERA may not offer enough to dethrone World of Warcraft, but it is a wonderful game with a thrilling story and loads of action. Above all else the combat mechanics are a great innovation

is the 9/10 for the game or is it a fanboi meter? 10 being massive fanboi and 1 being hater?

• IstavaanIstavaan Member Posts: 1,350

i would give it a 6.5/10 it does nothing that lineage 2 didn't do 8 years ago..all it has going for it is the combat system which  i found rather clunky. at least lineage 2  launched with pvp content.

• RavenRaven Member UncommonPosts: 2,005

Originally posted by Istavaan

i would give it a 6.5/10 it does nothing that lineage 2 didn't do 8 years ago..all it has going for it is the combat system which  i found rather clunky. at least lineage 2  launched with pvp content.

Hmm I find it hard to take your opinion seriously when you are lying :(. There was no PVP content in L2 at release I was there the minute servers went live so I do know. Castles were just sealed off geometry until they unlocked them, there were no arenas and no olympiad, I am not even sure you could declare a war to another guild.

On Gustin main PVP was for dominance of hunting areas ( completely unrelated to any game mechanic ) for Cruma Tower control ( a dungeon ) and Dragon Valley control between the 2 main alliances created on the server.

Also it being Lineage 2 is more than 50% of the reason why I want to play this game, this was going to be Lineage 3, everywhere you look in this game and if you ever played any of the Lineage series, it screams Lineage 2. I am ok with it being an updated Lineage 2, tbh that is what I have been searching for a while, after playing 6 years of PVE raiding, some proper political meta gaming and open world pvp.

• BeenGamingBeenGaming Member Posts: 44

Originally posted by Reas43

MMO forum keyboard commandoes seem to believe that if a game doesn't have millions of subs or is number 1 then it's a flop.

I never understood this mentality really. As long as the server I actually play on is populated, I couldn't really care less how many people overall play the game. World of Warcraft has something to the tune of 10 million subscriptions still, but 95% of what those players do when they're in the game can barely be described as playing it. Even of those, less than 5% are doing what could be considered competent or competitive gameplay.

• AzmodaiAzmodai Member UncommonPosts: 154

Originally posted by Istavaan

The first metacritic ratings are up, based on 4 critical reviews.  TERA is averaging 8.3/10.

I'd give it 9/10 for a newly released MMO (although it had the advantage of a year out in Korea).  Only reason not a 10/10 is because there's no battlegrounds and more organized pvp.

TERA may not offer enough to dethrone World of Warcraft, but it is a wonderful game with a thrilling story and loads of action. Above all else the combat mechanics are a great innovation

is the 9/10 for the game or is it a fanboi meter? 10 being massive fanboi and 1 being hater?

What are you trying to say? Does a game have to be new to be good? I never heard that Bs before or is it because GW2 said so? TERA offers everything MMOs were and reinforce it by imporving these points. You don't like it? Its clear that Shit load of us do and these reviews by the users + critics says so. Get off your high horses and at least back your statements up without lying outa your own asses so maybe we can actually listen and properly respond.

• helthroshelthros Member UncommonPosts: 1,449

"If it's so great why would it fail in Korea, etc"

1) This is not Korea. This is NA/EU TERA. What flies in Korea might not fly here, what "flops" in Korea might not "flop" here. It's been argued the game is not "grindy" enough for Asian tastes but we all know how Westerners feel about grinds.

2) Flop in Korea? If a business is operating, providing revenue and turning a profit, no matter how small, it's still a successful business.

MMO forum keyboard commandoes seem to believe that if a game doesn't have millions of subs or is number 1 then it's a flop. It's like saying if a small business does not launch to be the Walmart empire within it's first month then it's a failure. Ludicrous.

Spot on, kids on these forums that have never even taken a business class, let alone passed calc or statistics, fancy themselves as business analysts all of a sudden.

• Bad.dogBad.dog Member UncommonPosts: 1,131

Originally posted by BeenGaming

MMO forum keyboard commandoes seem to believe that if a game doesn't have millions of subs or is number 1 then it's a flop.

I never understood this mentality really. As long as the server I actually play on is populated, I couldn't really care less how many people overall play the game. World of Warcraft has something to the tune of 10 million subscriptions still, but 95% of what those players do when they're in the game can barely be described as playing it. Even of those, less than 5% are doing what could be considered competent or competitive gameplay.

By 9pm most people playing this game are sent to bed ...being competent means you can play till 10?

• nate1980nate1980 Member UncommonPosts: 2,063
    I'm enjoying Tera right now, but I've always bashed the quest grind design. I started playing mmorpgs before quest grinding. I'm just doing the main quests and skipping all the others. Grinding the rest of the time.
  • hikaru77hikaru77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,123

Wait a month. The game is just one more huge korean grinfest MMO, if you love AION you gonna love this one. After playing tera, im back leveling an Agent on swtor, i just cant play a game with a strong felling of grind on it.

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928

Originally posted by BeenGaming

main reason why you should care if your game is populated overall and not just your server is mostly for updates. More overall subscribers=more revenue=more money that can be put towards more content. Not saying low population games won't get updates, even F2P ones get plenty of updates but higher populated ones have the resources to pump out more content.. after that it really just depends on the developers. 

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• Free2012Free2012 Member Posts: 28

Reviews & haters have never really concerned me, one thing I will say after playing TERA since release I took a day off and logged onto WoW for the first time in a little while.

Let's just say, the combat is laughable is comparison it really is night & day and that's all I care about at the moment. Over time(the next month or so) we'll see if this 'new' feeling continues once the endgame is fully implemented. If so, they'll have my subscription for awhile.

• kanedaAkanedaA Member Posts: 66

Because its no a grindfest

Unlike aion wich is the number one mmo in korea

and btw Tera is number 3 most play mmo in korea so do some research before talking all big or keep it shut if u dont know sh!t

• kanedaAkanedaA Member Posts: 66

gamespot metacritic 8.5

• holdenhamletholdenhamlet Member EpicPosts: 3,772

Originally posted by hikaru77

Wait a month. The game is just one more huge korean grinfest MMO, if you love AION you gonna love this one. After playing tera, im back leveling an Agent on swtor, i just cant play a game with a strong felling of grind on it.

Aion felt grindy right from the start.  SWTOR felt grindy to me too.  TERA is the least grindy-feeling MMO I've ever played.

• lellyvillelellyville Member Posts: 26

time to make 50 accounts and vote 0/10

• SythionSythion Member Posts: 422

Hellgate London started at around that score for its first few reviews as well. Happens with all MMORPGs.

Fanboys (critics and players) come in and vote hard and early. More reasonable reviews will drop it down to around 7.5, where it belongs.

• PivotelitePivotelite Member UncommonPosts: 2,145

Originally posted by lellyville

time to make 50 accounts and vote 0/10

People like you are just sad, hating on a game is no reason to try to cause other people to miss out on a game they might enjoy by ruining the rating. That is if you actually go through with it, which you won't, you'll just rate a 0 on the one account you have.

Regardless, we'll see where it stands in a few more weeks once more people chip in, only 165 on this site and 200 on metacritic.

It would be nice if only people who played it a decent amount left reviews, but I know all those people who have not even tried it and hate on it will be first to throw out votes sometimes. ;)

• Sata123Sata123 Member Posts: 34

TERA is nothing like Aion, really...