Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guild Wars 2: It Just Keeps Getting Better

124»

Comments

• jayartejayarte Member UncommonPosts: 450

Originally posted by Boardwalker

I'm looking forward to GW2. I like what I've been hearing, and hope that its gameplay can meet the high expectations.

What I don't like is all the bashing of WAR. WAR was and is a fine game, and made some innovative additions to the MMO genre. Yes, the population is way down, but when I played it was a lot of fun, and I see that GW2 has picked up on some of its better features. I have no problem with that. I'm all for new games iterating on the successful features of the games that came before it.

But let's not bash WAR to prop up GW2. WAR doesn't deserve that, and GW2 doesn't need it.

Well said.  I've noticed this trend in other genre's, too.  For example, some book reviewers will state (on the cover of a book) that the author under review is far superior to some other author.  Why? 

Same with games; there's no need to be negative about one game in order to promote another.  Why bother?  Sure it's fine to draw comparisons, helpful even for people who have played one of the games being compared but not the other, but stating that one game is crap whilst the other is pefect is just pointless.

Also, it makes me laugh that people try to "prove" each other "right or wrong" as if we were talking about objective facts, rather than opinion.  Not to mention, as I've said so many times (*yawns at self*) how on earth do people get so worked up about ruddy games?  There are so many things in the world of real importance where you can place your angry energy and strive for some change, but games ... a leisure pastime ... I mean, come on.

I enjoyed the write-up because I've deliberately held back from advancing too much into the game so as to keep that "fresh" feeling for launch, so I hadn't really noticed the AI scaling up, but now I think about it I did have that experience with those pesky bandits and the water.  At the time I didn't twig what was happening (ie deliberate scaling to match number of players at event) because GW2 has so many exciting features I occasionally forget one.  Sounds like a great idea which will make combat so much more engaging.

• Pratt2112Pratt2112 Member UncommonPosts: 1,636

Originally posted by Asamof

I've heard people cry about GW2 because the trailers were "misleading" and they were expecting DMC combat

the crowds are really overhyping themselves on this one. hopefully the game doesn't disappear as fast as your typical WoW killer mmo

the one advantage GW2 has is that they're actually experimenting with the formula, where every previous big budget MMO (poorly) emulated the formula while forcefully shoving in gimmicks (combo systems, winged flight, good/evil quest choices)

"no wait everyone! our game really is different and unique!"

the mmosheep herd fall for it everytime, then act surprised when they realize how mediocre the core game really is

I dunno how GW2 will pan out, but I'm getting TOR deja vu every time I read a column, or the following poster commentary.

I'm curious to see if all the hoopla suddenly dies down post-launch, once people have gotten over the newness of it, the honeymoon phase ends, and they're "just playing the game", like it did for TOR. That's when the cracks begin to show, the glitches become more apparent the imbalances, the poor design elements, etc. It's when the genuine criticism starts coming out from numerous sources based not on hype or limited exposure to the game, but on significant hands-on experience with it.

Then we'll see how GW2 really stacks up against all the hype and praise being thrown at it now.

I'm not saying GW2 is or will be a bad game. I'm sure it'll be a fun game, just as the original was. I just have a really difficult time finding anything that resembles a level-headed opinion of the game during beta phases, because people are so given to hyperbole and lavish praise over a game they've only gotten to experience in "bite size chunks".

• tank-n-spanktank-n-spank Member UncommonPosts: 23

I found GW2 to be very underwhelming in the BWE.

I enjoyed the difficulty (that IS a breath of fresh air in a 2012 MMO, something I haven't really seen since classics like EQ and UO) and the WvWvW combat/conquest looked fun.  The rest, however, came across as very gimmicky or just a new face put on features we've seen before.

We've already seen DEs under other names in WAR and Rift.  GW2 refines that a little, but fails to keep them from quickly becoming repetitive and boring.  Plus the much touted effect on the world is nil.

The active combat is gimmicky and simply exchanges reacting to a cast bar or ability warning for reacting to an animation.  It feeks like a hybrid of WoW and Mortal Kombat which is held back from being intense and fun by very limited energy and cooldowns / GCD.  On the other hand it demands enough attention that you can't just mechanically do it while focusing on some other aspect of the game that might be more enjoyable.

.adslot-overlay {position: absolute; font-family: arial, sans-serif; background-color: rgba(0,0,0,0.65); border: 2px solid rgba(0,0,0,0.65); color: white !important; margin: 0; z-index: 2147483647; text-decoration: none; box-sizing: border-box; text-align: left;}.adslot-overlay-iframed {top: 0; left: 0; right: 0; bottom: 0;}.slotname {position: absolute; top: 0; left: 0; right: 0; font-size: 13px; font-weight: bold; padding: 3px 0 3px 6px; vertical-align: middle; background-color: rgba(0,0,0,0.45); text-overflow: ellipsis; white-space: nowrap; overflow: hidden;}.slotname span {text-align: left; text-decoration: none; text-transform: capitalize;}.revenue {position: absolute; bottom: 0; left: 0; right: 0; font-size: 11px; padding: 3px 0 3px 6px; vertial-align: middle; text-align: left; background-color: rgba(0,0,0,0.45); font-weight: bold; text-overflow: ellipsis; overflow: hidden; white-space: nowrap;}.revenue .name {color: #ccc;}.revenue .horizontal .metric {display: inline-block; padding-right: 1.5em;}.revenue .horizontal .name {padding-right: 0.5em;}.revenue .vertical .metric {display: block; line-height: 1.5em; margin-bottom: 0.5em;}.revenue .vertical .name, .revenue .vertical .value {display: block;}.revenue .square .metric, .revenue .button .metric {display: table-row;}.revenue .square .metric {line-height: 1.5em;}.revenue .square .name, .revenue .square .value, .revenue .button .value {display: table-cell;}.revenue .square .name {padding-right: 1.5em;}.revenue .button .name {display: block; margin-right: 0.5em; width: 1em; overflow: hidden; text-overflow: clip;}.revenue .button .name:first-letter {margin-right: 1.5em;}a.adslot-overlay:hover {border: 2px solid rgba(58,106,173,0.9);}a.adslot-overlay:hover .slotname {border-bottom: 1px solid rgba(81,132,210,0.9); background-color: rgba(58,106,173,0.9);}a.adslot-overlay:hover .revenue {border-top: 1px solid rgba(81,132,210,0.9); background-color: rgba(58,106,173,0.9);}div.adslot-overlay:hover {cursor: not-allowed; border: 2px solid rgba(64,64,64,0.9);}div.adslot-overlay:hover .slotname {border-bottom: 1px solid rgba(128,128,128,0.9); background-color: rgba(64,64,64,0.9);}div.adslot-overlay:hover .revenue {border-top: 1px solid rgba(128,128,128,0.9); background-color: rgba(64,64,64,0.9);}

.adslot-overlay {position: absolute; font-family: arial, sans-serif; background-color: rgba(0,0,0,0.65); border: 2px solid rgba(0,0,0,0.65); color: white !important; margin: 0; z-index: 2147483647; text-decoration: none; box-sizing: border-box; text-align: left;}.adslot-overlay-iframed {top: 0; left: 0; right: 0; bottom: 0;}.slotname {position: absolute; top: 0; left: 0; right: 0; font-size: 13px; font-weight: bold; padding: 3px 0 3px 6px; vertical-align: middle; background-color: rgba(0,0,0,0.45); text-overflow: ellipsis; white-space: nowrap; overflow: hidden;}.slotname span {text-align: left; text-decoration: none; text-transform: capitalize;}.revenue {position: absolute; bottom: 0; left: 0; right: 0; font-size: 11px; padding: 3px 0 3px 6px; vertial-align: middle; text-align: left; background-color: rgba(0,0,0,0.45); font-weight: bold; text-overflow: ellipsis; overflow: hidden; white-space: nowrap;}.revenue .name {color: #ccc;}.revenue .horizontal .metric {display: inline-block; padding-right: 1.5em;}.revenue .horizontal .name {padding-right: 0.5em;}.revenue .vertical .metric {display: block; line-height: 1.5em; margin-bottom: 0.5em;}.revenue .vertical .name, .revenue .vertical .value {display: block;}.revenue .square .metric, .revenue .button .metric {display: table-row;}.revenue .square .metric {line-height: 1.5em;}.revenue .square .name, .revenue .square .value, .revenue .button .value {display: table-cell;}.revenue .square .name {padding-right: 1.5em;}.revenue .button .name {display: block; margin-right: 0.5em; width: 1em; overflow: hidden; text-overflow: clip;}.revenue .button .name:first-letter {margin-right: 1.5em;}a.adslot-overlay:hover {border: 2px solid rgba(58,106,173,0.9);}a.adslot-overlay:hover .slotname {border-bottom: 1px solid rgba(81,132,210,0.9); background-color: rgba(58,106,173,0.9);}a.adslot-overlay:hover .revenue {border-top: 1px solid rgba(81,132,210,0.9); background-color: rgba(58,106,173,0.9);}div.adslot-overlay:hover {cursor: not-allowed; border: 2px solid rgba(64,64,64,0.9);}div.adslot-overlay:hover .slotname {border-bottom: 1px solid rgba(128,128,128,0.9); background-color: rgba(64,64,64,0.9);}div.adslot-overlay:hover .revenue {border-top: 1px solid rgba(128,128,128,0.9); background-color: rgba(64,64,64,0.9);}

• bilal1019bilal1019 Member Posts: 6

I can't wait to start playing GW2 for real

• SeariasSearias Member UncommonPosts: 743

"Warhammer is one dimensional while GW2 is astronomical. People that haven't played GW2 reach for Warhammer for comparisons because of the public quest areas and thats all they know. The DE in GW2 are not little public quests, they are immersive and totally different.

If you are going to flame, find a new line or comparison game. Your attempts make ME yawn.

edit: spelling"

Actually, GW2 is questing system is pretty much taken from Warhammer Online, But the thing is ArenaNet observed and learned from the mistakes Mythic made and improved on the system. ArenaNet was also smart when it came to the combat system, instead of moving into a total action orientated system, they decided to combine both tabbed combat and action combat. This made the transition from traditional type tabbed system to a slightly more combat system smooth, since most NA and European customers were used to the tabbed system of combat.

I guess what I am trying to say is that, there is nothing wrong with using other peoples ideas as long as they are implemented properly. ArenaNet took their time to understand their targeted market and will succeeded because of it.

<InvalidTag type="text/javascript" src="http://www.gamebreaker.tv/cce/e.js"></script><div class="cce_pane" content-slug="which-world-of-warcraft-villain-are-you" ctype="quiz" d="http://www.gamebreaker.tv"></div>;

• IkonoclastiaIkonoclastia Member UncommonPosts: 203

Game is crap, its not new or innovative.  The Dynamic Events omg they get easier and harder the more people leave or join, thats so new... not.  Its stupid and cartoony.  Again.