Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

diablo 3 sets new pre orders sales record.

Bobbie203Bobbie203 Member Posts: 136

WoW Stable at 10.2 Million Subscribers

Activision Blizzard's press release states that World of Warcraft is still at 10.2 million subscribers as of 3/31/12. This is the same amount of subscribers from Q4 2011. A few other interesting points:

• Battle.Net has 10 million users.

• 1.2 million people bought the Annual Pass.

• 2 million people played the Diablo 3 open beta.

• Pre-orders for Diablo 3 have set a new record for Blizzard. This number includes units pre-ordered as part of the Annual Pass promotion, as well as retail and digital pre-orders.

• Blizzard renewed their license with NetEase for the distribution of World of Warcraft in mainland China, and it will continue for an additional three years following the expiration of the current license agreement.

Comments

• Bobbie203Bobbie203 Member Posts: 136

with all the negative view on real money auction house, it looks like its not stopping people from buying millions and millions and millions of diablo 3 copies worldwide.

• rottNrottN Member Posts: 161

the numbers are bs

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Originally posted by Bobbie203

with all the negative view on real money auction house, it looks like its not stopping people from buying millions and millions and millions of diablo 3 copies worldwide.

I don´t think anyone doubted that, question is how long they play it.

D2 sold 6 million copies including expansions, I have no doubt whatsoever that D3 will beat that.

If it will be a classic game like the first 2 is harder to say, but we know that next year.

• helthroshelthros Member UncommonPosts: 1,449

Originally posted by rottN

the numbers are bs

Their advertising power and reach of potential gamers reaches far FAR beyond gamers. That's what makes Blizzard boss. I see at least 4-5 Diablo3 spots every single NBA play-off game I see. I have friends that have never even fired up a computer game wanting to buy the game.

• palulalulapalulalula Member UncommonPosts: 651

That shows only the quality and power of Blizzard and how worthless is hate from haters :). We stay strong  forever and when Titan comes out we will have 20 mil subscribers. Not a big fan of point and click rpg but hey it is diablo and i got him for free :)

so when you stop playing blizzards games, they delete your user on Battle.net ? im sure they dont.

In 2010 they had 12 million subscribers (all had a battle.net user to play) where are they now ? 

• dubyahitedubyahite Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    1.2 million people paid for a year. That's crazysauce. That's the entirety of SWTOR's population and absolutely dwarfs most other MMOs entire populations.

Shadow's Hand Guild
    Open recruitment for

The Secret World - Dragons

Planetside 2 - Terran Republic

Tera - Dragonfall Server

http://www.shadowshand.com

• DJJazzyDJJazzy Member UncommonPosts: 2,053

I know quite a few people who have that annual pass but haven't played wow for months. Pretty shrewd move by Blizzard to offer that kind of deal.

• sonoggisonoggi Member Posts: 1,119

i really need GW2 to come out. i may find myself purchasing D3 just to have something to play until then. it's mindless fun.

• JimmydeanJimmydean Member UncommonPosts: 1,290

Originally posted by DJJazzy

I know quite a few people who have that annual pass but haven't played wow for months. Pretty shrewd move by Blizzard to offer that kind of deal.

Ya my entire guild quit but are stuck payin the sub. 8 bosses only lasts so long, especially when any guild worth anything had them dead the second week of the patch. We'll all be playing D3, but Annual Pass left a bad taste in our mouths, we have no plans to return to WoW for MoP.

• WorstluckWorstluck Member Posts: 1,269

so when you stop playing blizzards games, they delete your user on Battle.net ? im sure they dont.

In 2010 they had 12 million subscribers (all had a battle.net user to play) where are they now ? 

It says users.  Not accounts.  Users would mean a person that is using the service.  Not someone who has opened an account.  How they measured that data I don't know.  I do know that the Steam service regularly has 5 million concurrent users on at one time daily, with something like 30 million accounts.  I think it's entirely possible that battle.net has whatever user count they are reporting considering it too is a worldwide service for games (some of the most popular...ever)

If you implying that WoW's subs have dropped, then yes, even Blizzard admits that.

Originally posted by Worstluck

It says users.  Not accounts.  Users would mean a person that is using the service.  Not someone who has opened an account.  How they measured that data I don't know.  I do know that the Steam service regularly has 5 million concurrent users on at one time daily, with something like 30 million accounts.  I think it's entirely possible that battle.net has whatever user count they are reporting considering it too is a worldwide service for games (some of the most popular...ever)

If you implying that WoW's subs have dropped, then yes, even Blizzard admits that.

Im not... 

Im trying to say that the numbers are bs :D

People who wanted to try D3 beta weekend had to make a battle.net user if they dident have one. The 12 mil from back in 2010 still have their battle.net user. 

So how can they state that  Battle.Net has 10 million users.

• MyrdynnMyrdynn Member RarePosts: 2,479

Im not... 

People who wanted to try D3 beta weekend had to make a battle.net user if they dident have one. The 12 mil from back in 2010 still have their battle.net user. 

asia doesnt use battlenet

• maplestonemaplestone Member UncommonPosts: 3,099

The question of the annual pass is whether a lot of dedicated WoW players get Diablo3 for free or did a lot of eager Diablo3 players pay double-price for it?  Either way, it lets blizzard lock people in and count them twice.

There was a point a couple of years ago when I thought we were going to see the big publishers move to a more cable-tv-like model where you would have a single subscription to their whole library of programming  But then came the cascade of store-driven MMOs.

I have to admit that the concept of a real-money auction house terrifies me a little.  I fear that if it's at all successful, it could attract the attention of serious organized crime.

• Ashen_XAshen_X Member Posts: 363

Its not uncommon for companies to use the terms, "users," and, "account holders," interchangeably as needed. I am not commenting on the data but keep in mind that any for-profit company is going to present themselves in the best light possible. This does not mean that they are being dishonest, it does mean that they have certain duties to their shareholders, owners, whatever.

When all has been said and done, more will have been said than done.

Originally posted by Myrdynn

Im not... 

Activision Blizzard's press release states that World of Warcraft is still at 10.2 million subscribers as of 3/31/12. This is the same amount of subscribers from Q4 2011. A few other interesting points:

so your saying asia is the 0.2 million ? 

• Bobbie203Bobbie203 Member Posts: 136

im scratching my head, if people oppose real money auction house they should not tempted to purchase blizzard's diablo 3.

Jesus does blizzard lose money at all? money from wow subs + wow service + diablo 3 real moeny auction house fees.

I am beginnign to think the only way blizzard closes down as if world is ending by an act of god. They are swimmign with even more money.

So everything they sell turn into midas gold?

• WorstluckWorstluck Member Posts: 1,269

Originally posted by Ashen_X

Its not uncommon for companies to use the terms, "users," and, "account holders," interchangeably as needed. I am not commenting on the data but keep in mind that any for-profit company is going to present themselves in the best light possible. This does not mean that they are being dishonest, it does mean that they have certain duties to their shareholders, owners, whatever.

I am well aware of that.  But do you think that battle.net has only 10 million accounts?

• Ashen_XAshen_X Member Posts: 363

Originally posted by Ashen_X

I am well aware of that.  But do you think that battle.net has only 10 million accounts?

As I said I was not commenting on the data itself. I was merely commenting on,

"It says users.  Not accounts.  Users would mean a person that is using the service.  Not someone who has opened an account."

I am glad that you are well aware of the point I made, but I was responding to a statement that contradicted that awareness.

When all has been said and done, more will have been said than done.

• PivotelitePivotelite Member UncommonPosts: 2,145

Originally posted by DJJazzy

Yup, I've got two friends who have not touched WoW since TERAs first closed BETA and will also be playing GW2 alongside TERA.

Yet they both said they will buy MoP anyways, just because, why not, it's Blizzard, let's feed them all our money.

• Bushi13Bushi13 Member Posts: 123

The last year i was subscribing WoW, i wasn't playing much.

I was still subscribe because of my friends and the guild i was in.

Let say that once GW2 is out most of the guild will move to GW2 leaving WoW with a staggering 1 million subs (maybe 1.3 million.)

For SWTOR it might be about 200k.

Diablo 3 will have for sure 4 million players and after GW2 it will stil have about 2,5 to 3 million players.

Yes sorry I just pull the numbers out of my ass, but still I think it will be about that.

Diablow 3, it sucks ...

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,897

Well deserved Blizzard!

• EzhaeEzhae Member UncommonPosts: 735

Originally posted by Myrdynn

Im not... 

so your saying asia is the 0.2 million ? 

To be more specific, China doesn't use Battle.Net. 

And no, they do not make 0.2 million. not every B.Net account has WoW tied to it. The 10 million B.Net accounts is for US+EU+Other Countries Included (SEA, Korea, etc.), some of those accounts are SC2 accounts, some are accounts that do not pay for WoW anymore but have other games tied to it (I have my D1+2, SC + BW on it as well) . 

So yeah, the magic of 10.2 mil WoW accounts vs 10 mil B.NEt accounts come from the fact that  huge part of WoW accounts do not require B.Net (China), and many of B.Net accounts in so called "West' do not have running WoW sub. 

• Germaximus_SGermaximus_S Member UncommonPosts: 1,061

Originally posted by helthros

the numbers are bs

Their advertising power and reach of potential gamers reaches far FAR beyond gamers. That's what makes Blizzard boss. I see at least 4-5 Diablo3 spots every single NBA play-off game I see. I have friends that have never even fired up a computer game wanting to buy the game.

haha hells yeah

I played a lot of PC games at my friends houses but at home i was a console gamer until Diablo 2 made me finally buy my own PC.

Jeremiah 8:21 I weep for the hurt of my people; I stand amazed, silent, dumb with grief.
    Join me on Twitch Facebook Twitter 

• Don-QuixoteDon-Quixote Member Posts: 87

Originally posted by dubyahite

1.2 million people paid for a year. That's crazysauce. That's the entirety of SWTOR's population and absolutely dwarfs most other MMOs entire populations.

Blizzard still producing stuff with some level of quality in some aspects + a faithful, dedicated playerbase, that's how they are able to pull it off.

Good for them I say.

Still, I wonder where all the lads and lassies that rage about GW2 payment model are. I mean, people creating threads and arguing (in my household at least) about how insane it is to pay for a Collector's Edition of a game still in beta seem to have no problem whatsoever with people paying for a whole year worth of subscriptions for access to a beta. Perhaps because you have access to a game for a full year? I don't know. If someone could clarify it for me.

Crazysauce is this

That shows only the quality and power of Blizzard and how worthless is hate from haters :). We stay strong  forever and when Titan comes out we will have 20 mil subscribers. Not a big fan of point and click rpg but hey it is diablo and i got him for free :)

level of fanboyism.